Zombie melee animation

xFORCERx

Has something changed regarding zombie melee animation speed? Melee range too?

We haven't played since A18 and were quite surprised yesterday when we started a new game on the latest A19.2. There seems to be a bigger melee range and zombie animation attacks are waaay fast, we get the feeling they don't even make physical contact with our character yet they hit us hard. Previous Alpha had slower animations but more realistic.

We are playing vanilla RWG on Warrior difficulty.

Melee has definitely been tweaked in A19, but most people feel like it's in a pretty good place now. Zombie reach/animations do occasionally get wonky, but player reach and the ability to land "glancing blows" can make up for it almost completely once you're used to it.

Your reach is longer than you might think, so the best thing is to figure out your attack range, dip into it in time to land your hit and bob back out before the zombie counter. You will still get tagged in a very rare, glitchy instance (sometimes they like to hit without swinging), but you'll be able to avoid 99% of attacks this way with practice.

Also, if you didn't before, WEAR ARMOR. Even low level light armor helps avoid enemy critical hits which are a BIG thing in A19. You might want to go back to default difficulty until you get the hang of it.

It seems the animation and actual attacks are out of sync. I've been hit, but there was no swing.

Also seeing them doing the electric slide a LOT more in 19.2

(this is with the dedi server.)

Going to test some more, but that out of sync thing is really off putting.  (and yes, the melee range does feel a bit long)

2 hours ago, canadianbluebeer said:

It seems the animation and actual attacks are out of sync. I've been hit, but there was no swing.

Also seeing them doing the electric slide a LOT more in 19.2

(this is with the dedi server.)

Going to test some more, but that out of sync thing is really off putting.  (and yes, the melee range does feel a bit long)

I've definitely seen the hit with no swing before, but not often enough for it to really disrupt my game. How often do you see it?

On 11/1/2020 at 12:21 AM, xFORCERx said:

Has something changed regarding zombie melee animation speed? Melee range too?

We haven't played since A18 and were quite surprised yesterday when we started a new game on the latest A19.2. There seems to be a bigger melee range and zombie animation attacks are waaay fast, we get the feeling they don't even make physical contact with our character yet they hit us hard. Previous Alpha had slower animations but more realistic.

We are playing vanilla RWG on Warrior difficulty.

not significantly .... just avoid knives ( shortest range in game)  and you will be fine with little training

.. attacks are definitely desynced from animation tho

15 hours ago, Psychodabble said:

I've definitely seen the hit with no swing before, but not often enough for it to really disrupt my game. How often do you see it?

It's infrequent.  Mostly after a ragdoll effect. They've hit around corners of a doorway, had a nasty one in the barn (the big farm one in navezgane),

the wall they break out from the pigpens.

The 2 in there were ragdolling trying to get out, one did, the other seems to be stuck falling over his own feet, then teleported behind me and bopped me.

I still got him.

I'm seeing this on the dedi server. Didn't see much of it in SP local. Have to test more.

It's weird.

2 hours ago, canadianbluebeer said:

It's infrequent.  Mostly after a ragdoll effect. They've hit around corners of a doorway, had a nasty one in the barn (the big farm one in navezgane),

the wall they break out from the pigpens.

The 2 in there were ragdolling trying to get out, one did, the other seems to be stuck falling over his own feet, then teleported behind me and bopped me.

I still got him.

I'm seeing this on the dedi server. Didn't see much of it in SP local. Have to test more.

It's weird.

because animations  work in weird way if two different need to happen .... so sometimes " ragdolled"  zombie can actually attack while still trying to maintain balance ...

same if you shock  / decapitate knocked down zombie  .. they often instantly teleport into standing position

If you’re primarily a melee player, they happen quite frequently. Combined with the zombies rubberbanding after being stunned, the invisible swings are annoying. Not game breaking but very annoying. Some of it, I’m guessing here, is net code as I see it even with a ping below 50. Hopefully, as we get closer to beta it gets addressed.

22 minutes ago, Star69 said:

If you’re primarily a melee player, they happen quite frequently. Combined with the zombies rubberbanding after being stunned, the invisible swings are annoying. Not game breaking but very annoying. Some of it, I’m guessing here, is net code as I see it even with a ping below 50. Hopefully, as we get closer to beta it gets addressed.

As a melee-primary player, I don't see it that often. I saw it a lot more before I could consistently 1 shot/knockdown, but that's sort of a matter of just outlasting the glitchiness. 😉

Archived