A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

17 minutes ago, meilodasreh said:

Really, I didn't want to be mean. Thats why I used the "speak no evil monkey" emoji btw.

I make myself clear once again: I am sorry! 

Good now?

Is it not to be evil to use a monkey's emoji while teasing another person? Okay then

13 minutes ago, bachgaman said:

Is it not to be evil to use a monkey's emoji while teasing another person? Okay then

No that one is just part of the three "hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil" monkeys. (from some japanese proverb)

It means - more or less - "You don't speak about evil things" (which I did, so meaning "I know I better hadn't / shouldn't") 

I definitely didn't want to call you an ape if you interpreted it like that.

Edited by meilodasreh (see edit history)

25 minutes ago, TWORDY said:

Nicely generated sidewalk. High res news-boxes and lamp posts with complex geometry. I hope more and more objects will ultimately get such attention to details. Any chance for Snow Doggs Inn in Snow biome in Alpha 20? 😄

If you do add a Snow Doggs Inn PLEASE put it in the snow biome. The more white in the scenery the better for that place I think. No UV lights allowed.

On 4/27/2021 at 9:40 PM, Roland said:

I did not see the streams but I can tell you that it is coming and that calling it a flying turret is a bit generous...

I was thinking that also. IIRC didn't Madmole say we would no longer be able to add a weapon to the drone. I  pass through so many parallel universes that I sometime mix up which one I am in. This one is on A26 right????

44 minutes ago, Gamida said:

I was thinking that also. IIRC didn't Madmole say we would no longer be able to add a weapon to the drone. I  pass through so many parallel universes that I sometime mix up which one I am in. This one is on A26 right????

Alpha 48, actually. People often get that alpha mixed with A26 and A92, so no worries. :) 

On 4/28/2021 at 1:16 AM, FA_Q2 said:

I did not see the streams so the question may be answered already but what is the news on the new flying turret?  Is that still coming?

I heard it will be added after plasmaguns and orbital rays of death

6 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Is there any chance of a Knuckle Rub Strip Club POI being added into the game? ;)

And you wrote something about devs’ resources and time when I suggested changing the LCB recipe because 7000 durability per 5 small stones breaks the game

21 minutes ago, bachgaman said:

And you wrote something about devs’ resources and time when I suggested changing the LCB recipe because 7000 durability per 5 small stones breaks the game

you totally missed that MechanicalLens was joking

Here’s the thing with the LCB. They’ve already had it to where it was extremely difficult to craft and they deliberately changed it to being simple to craft. It’s durability is for PVP. 

The fix can’t be to simply reduce durability or increase cost to craft. The changes that were made to bring us the current LCB were deliberate and specifically for PVP gameplay. 

So it will take a solution like mine to change the AI behavior in breaking blocks or add a bonus for zombies and animals vs the LCB so they can break it as if it were cloth but players still have to spend time breaking it once they find it or completely revamping and redesigning how the LCB functions, or adding an option to allow the LCB block in the game. 

All of these alternatives do require more dev time than simply changing the hp value of the block. 

How difficult should the LCB be to craft and how does that affect new players and games? When exactly should they be able to claim land? I think they're fine as is. You can only have one. If you want to discourage other players in a MP game then when they move theirs, go and put one down and claim their abandoned stuff.

1 hour ago, Urban Blackbear said:

How difficult should the LCB be to craft and how does that affect new players and games? When exactly should they be able to claim land? I think they're fine as is. You can only have one. If you want to discourage other players in a MP game then when they move theirs, go and put one down and claim their abandoned stuff.

His issue is that it makes a good part of a simple nerd pole to quickly escape wandering hordes that target you. He is exclusively talking about toughest difficulty with nightmare speed enemies. If you quickly nerdpole up three blocks with the LCB as the middle block you can kill the zombies while they beat on the LCB and because it has such a high HP you can kill them before they bring down your nerdpole. Then, you can just leave that LCB behind and simply craft a new one for the next encounter.

Technically, it is a request to improve a perceived flaw but the scope of that flaw is very small. It is only relied upon by exploiters during the early game (because later they have an arsenal and don't need it) and really only tempting to use when playing on the absolute toughest difficulty settings (because at lower difficulty the ability to escape and/or manage multiple enemies at once is easier). Honestly, it seems a bit silly for people to turn the difficulty all the way up and then just use exploits to survive. Why crank up the difficulty if you're just going to fudge things anyway?

I get wanting to close loopholes and easy exploits that defeat the design. I think doing so is admirable and I've made my own suggestions along those lines only to be shot down by the developers. They have stated to me that they are perfectly okay with such things remaining in the game for players who wish to use them. As the developers they choose to make those designs that they will. So vultures attack vehicles at supersonic speed during hordenight because the developers care about that but players who play insane and nightmare speed can go ahead and use the LCB as part of their nerdpole if they want because the devs don't care about that one. I brought up the ability to use the killall command during quests and still succeed at the quest and gain the trader reward and their response was that if players want to use commands in their game then that is their choice. They had no desire to block those or at least make them to cause a quest to fail.

They will pick and choose the exploits that matter to them.

I feel the LCB would be “more fun and less exploitable” if it had just 1 hp.  The goal being it would be easy to craft, but only literally useful as a land claim to  do what it does today, and of course to be able to “claim” workstations and pick them up.  It’s mentioned before but I also feel that if you want a long term claim, you should have to protect the claim block by surrounding it with other blocks/traps, and this would be “it’s hit points” to get to it to destroy it. 

ive played in PvP and the claim block doesn’t do squiggly when I’m afk for hours and someone finds my base. High powered Players just mow my base and destroy everything, unless the server admin makes “land claims” indestructible, which they all seem to do now anyway.  Of course, if they’re going to set/mod that, they can also set/mod the hit points to be “whatever” so that’s likely why it’s a moot point, but I do  feel the vanilla settings would play better if the LCB were cut from a stone, fast to craft, but fragile as glass.

actually, it would be kinda neat if the LCB could be powered, and the more power you applied (to a limit) the more “block protection” you get.  This would require a constant expenditure of electric, and at night there’s no solar so you lose power unless you go on generator.... which makes noise. Might make PvP more fun at night, and zeds too if they were drawn to the generator noise. Unless it’s serious PvP where I don’t think anyone uses LCB unless it offers complete land claim immunity.

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

29 minutes ago, Jora1337 said:

Thank you for your answer, but this is not the point, but the fact that the color scheme of the game is too bright, the plants are bright green, and the snow is like powdered sugar from old Disney cartoons. The color palette makes the game look sickly bright. But thank you for answer

And somebody tell me, is it possible to somehow return the old sounds of the environment by replacing the files? And is it possible to somehow increase the number of trees, otherwise the forests are empty in new versions. 

Turn down the brightness then? 😜

Also, high density tree locations cause a horrendous amount of lag. Can you name one game that has trees placed every few feet or so? Answer: None do.

Trees are particularly taxing in any game, as are reflections, shadows, and water.

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)

7 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Turn down the brightness then? 😜

Also, high density tree locations cause a horrendous amount of lag. Can you name one game that has trees placed every few feet or so? Answer: None do.

Trees are particularly taxing in any game, as are reflections, shadows, and water.

Is certainly possible to achieve....

2 minutes ago, DUST2DEATH said:

Is certainly possible to achieve....

Just go ahead and plant about 400+ trees (spawned in from the creative menu) in one general area and check your FPS afterwards. Especially for lower end PC's, the results would be quite drastic.

Just because they can do it doesn't mean they should.

• Crater Creator changed the title to A20 Developer Diary Discussions
  • Roland unpinned this topic