A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

9 hours ago, doughphunghus said:

Are there any plans for a20/21 to be able to make the “fog” color of a biome (or the world) modifiable in the xml (either in biomes.xml or weather.xml). Currently You can change the fog color/density via the console, but you can only mod the fog density in the xml.

it would be nice to be able to mod biomes to have green/yellow/orange/red/black fogs.  Right now xml moddable fog is “realistic” white/grey.

Crazy right, who would do such a thing 😛

Boo to outfit slots going to 4.  I always like more slots for more customization and tweaking my character.  but I have a whole alpha to home that changes 😛

Yay to everything else.  The game is going along really well.  Every alpha has been better than the last (including 17) so cant wait for 20 :D

16 minutes ago, FA_Q2 said:

Boo to outfit slots going to 4.  I always like more slots for more customization and tweaking my character.  but I have a whole alpha to home that changes 😛

Yay to everything else.  The game is going along really well.  Every alpha has been better than the last (including 17) so cant wait for 20 :D

A17 never happened. 😜

Just now, MechanicalLens said:

A17 never happened. 😜

LMAO.

Yes a lot of people say that.  I actually like 17 a LOT more than 16.  tried to go back and see why I was so wrong according to the forums and.... ya 17 was still a big improvement even with all the things that were objectively worse.

6 hours ago, FA_Q2 said:

I feel you ( in a non-Snowdog way). I know we will come to like the new system because while it looks like a unbearable cut, it really only just results in less cosmetic choices in favour of gameplay. So now armour has both temperature and effects and every piece is meaningful. Ok. And every quality level of every piece is "enchanted" with effects. Still OK.

What does that mean for us who love pink banana hats to improve our character looks? It means that cosmetic mods can still happen but it won't really matter for us in the long run. Less clutter of useless clothing means more time to do more meaninful armour/clothing/wearables, either for the base game or for a dlc.

I took a quick look on steam and saw one bad review someone gave because the game was still in alpha after 8 years. I would think that would be a plus. It means that for 8 years there have been updates to the game making it better each time (ok not to all but to most :) ). They also don't realize that when they say it has been in alpha for 8 years that means that the devs worked (and still are working) on it for 8 year....they never suddenly vanished or gave up on the game and went on to do something else. They stuck to it. To me that says a lot about them.

Edited by Gamida (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Gamida said:

took a quick look on steam and saw one bad review someone gave because the game was still in alpha after 8 years. I would think that would be a plus.

Yep, I personally love the Early Access  model for stuff like this, Rimworld, Factorio etc. You play the game for a couple hundred hours, take a break for a few months and come back when the next batch of content comes out and play for another couple hundred hours and repeat. It's literally free expansion level DLC

4 hours ago, Gamida said:

I took a quick look on steam and saw one bad review someone gave because the game was still in alpha after 8 years. I would think that would be a plus. It means that for 8 years there have been updates to the game making it better each time (ok not to all but to most :) ). They also don't realize that when they say it has been in alpha for 8 years that means that the devs worked (and still are working) on it for 8 year....they never suddenly vanished or gave up on the game and went on to do something else. They stuck to it. To me that says a lot about them.

It does but you only know that because you are here, playing and seeing the progress.  

There are a few other games I have played in EA with where a few skins get updated in a year and they are basically milking the alpha tag as an excuse to not deal with the bugs or finish the game.

I would prefer this game to stay alpha forever, as long as it is there I can always go back and find a different game that was better than the last.  Does not work well for the devs though 😛

3 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

I'm partial to the idea of crafting Street lights as long as they are a late game electricity-consuming commodity that takes a lot of resources to build (forged steel, electrical parts, mechanical parts, plastic, headlight and pipes). It's fluff, but it would be nice to enjoy a nice late game base with cool props like that.

Speaking of which, some people criticize that we can't power on the lights in POI's. With the Restore Power quests this might become somewhat of a thing...

On 3/22/2021 at 7:20 PM, Roland said:

Awesome! Thanks @Gazz

So just uncomment it and then duplicate it a few times changing the biome number so it applies to the other biomes and play around with the gamestage base-add value? Definitely going to play around with this. This adds to the player's gamestage so it will affect both enemies and loot, correct? This could give a rough approximation of what is coming without some of the "among other things" you mentioned.

so as a first stab at it like....

<!-- wasteland gamestage bonus-->
        <passive_effect name="GameStage" operation="base_add" value="100">
            <requirement name="InBiome" biome="8"/>
        </passive_effect>
        <!-- snow gamestage bonus-->
        <passive_effect name="GameStage" operation="base_add" value="80">
            <requirement name="InBiome" biome="1"/>
        <!-- desert gamestage bonus-->
        <passive_effect name="GameStage" operation="base_add" value="60">
            <requirement name="InBiome" biome="5"/>
        </passive_effect>
        <!-- burnt forest gamestage bonus-->
        <passive_effect name="GameStage" operation="base_add" value="40">
            <requirement name="InBiome" biome="9"/>
        </passive_effect>

Interestingly, is it possible in this way to indicate the level of the game stage for each of the locations? For example, for a small house, the game stage is +0, for a skyscraper +10, and so on? If I did this, then it would be possible to turn off the Stone Age) Or am I not taking into account something?

If you combine enough of such bonuses like from POI and biomes then you are not in stone age any more. It's that simple.

The trick would be surviving it.

Don't expect the "harder" biomes to be such a walk in the park any more. 😃

Edited by Gazz (see edit history)

40 minutes ago, Gazz said:

If you combine enough of such bonuses like from POI and biomes then you are not in stone age any more. It's that simple.

The trick would be surviving it.

Don't expect the "harder" biomes to be such a walk in the park any more. 😃

But if you make it so that the difficulty of the building is calculated as "biome difficulty" + "building difficulty", then even in the most difficult biome, high-level buildings will still represent a challenge in the later stages of the game and will give better bonuses 😉

This way, high-level buildings in complex biomes will not lose value as they do now.
Players will be more motivated to visit level 5 buildings in difficult biomes.

After all, when the game stage is high enough, you can find good loot in absolutely any building (exception: military boxes, which are only in high-level buildings) and it is logical that players in Alpha 20 will take only low-level tasks (the level can be selected from merchant), since neither the loot nor the reward for completing the task will pay off the spent ammunition and the time spent.

Just now, MechanicalLens said:

I wonder if this image takes place in Navezgane or RWG?

on twitter they also said that 
"Hey Survivors, Here is a work in progress teaser screen shot showing off a new primitive pistol, a new Fat cop, a ton of updated and new environment art and a brand-new Random World Generation Algorithm. Great work by the entire TFP Team coming to Alpha 20 Stay tuned!"

https://twitter.com/7DaystoDie/status/1386734092734111750

but its too good to be RWG

Just now, Adam the Waster said:

"Hey Survivors, Here is a work in progress teaser screen shot showing off a new primitive pistol, a new Fat cop, a ton of updated and new environment art and a brand-new Random World Generation Algorithm. Great work by the entire TFP Team coming to Alpha 20 Stay tuned!"

My money is it's Navezgane.

2 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

Its not April 1st so ...... 😎

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

Also i still find it funny that in this world.

every car pre-war that civilians drive are Sudan's

(not counting army trucks, work vans, and Wee woo buses)

no trucks, Jeeps, Creepy vans, SUV, Golf carts, Motorcycles or anything 

Just S U D A N

2 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Its not April 1st so ...... 😎

Oh you made it to QA, congrats :D

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Kalex said:

IF they ever switched to the Unreal engine, that would be the last I played of the game. I can't stand the client tethering to the host in co-op that unreal pushes

What do you mean by that? I couldn't find anything special about Unreals client server model in the net. Also nothing in this official doc about the client-server model:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/InteractiveExperiences/Networking/Server/index.html

30 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

My money is it's Navezgane.

The twitter text specifically says it is showing off RWG.

8 minutes ago, bdubyah said:

Those trees ever gonna get any love? The 2 in front the the Crack A Book sign look....not that good. Are they dead? Snowy? I can't tell.

That said, the rest of it looks great. Like, really great. Hoping this isn't just a cherry picked image and it is a common thing. :)

I asked a while ago and yes, trees are going to get love. Just maybe not in a20. There's a lot of problems with trees at the moment, not just uglyness but also weird texturing, displaced shadows, too much wiggling, etc.

7 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

While I have faith in TFP, I'll believe it when I see it.

Nothing particularly special about that street corner.  No reason the RWG Cannot spawn a 4 way when 2 roads intersect at the correct angle.   

The street lights do look rather good though lol.  Nice addition.

• Crater Creator changed the title to A20 Developer Diary Discussions
  • Roland unpinned this topic