A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

17 minutes ago, Brendyrose said:

Look, I bought this game and joined this very forum when I was 18 years old, I am now 26 years old and have 3 children, and the game still doesn't have all the content promised, like raiders, and such. Look look, i'm not trying to be hostile or anything, look maybe i'm blind, and I didn't check hard enough for a roadmap or something, but can we get a long term roadmap or at least an ETA on when these things will come out? I feel like i'm going to be a grandparent by the time this game is complete. 

@Roland please bring back the turd reaction!

4 hours ago, Brendyrose said:

Look, I bought this game and joined this very forum when I was 18 years old, I am now 26 years old and have 3 children, and the game still doesn't have all the content promised, like raiders, and such. Look look, i'm not trying to be hostile or anything, look maybe i'm blind, and I didn't check hard enough for a roadmap or something, but can we get a long term roadmap or at least an ETA on when these things will come out? I feel like i'm going to be a grandparent by the time this game is complete. 

They'll surely explain everything to your children... after they grow up. :heh:

(*old man's voice*)

I remember playing Alpha One on my Commodore 64 back then, they were very different times ya know? *cough, cough*

Now, let me tell you the story of how this game was born... :kev:

4 hours ago, Brendyrose said:

I am now 26 years old and have 3 children

Yeah, but one of the reasons for having those children is to play games together and they are probably still a bit too young to play. How about this: There's no need to worry about grandchildren. You will easily be able to play the finished version of 7 Days to Die with your own kids by time they are old enough to be able to play.

disclaimer: If you're one of those kind of parents who takes their five year olds to rated R horror movies then all bets are off....

On 4/15/2021 at 12:15 PM, bachgaman said:

7. Rework some perks, especially on weapons and armors - you yourself should know that there are completely useless perks in the game, it's sad to see them realizing that they could be better and then the player would have a choice. I'm talking about completely dead branches of weapons (in fact, all melee weapons are almost dead and make no sense, all these spears, bows, crossbows, electric batons and brass knuckles are just too weak and unnecessary weapons partly due to weak perks) The creation of armor is simply useless because it is not difficult to find or buy. Now, if the perk for creating armor would give bonuses when wearing it, it would be a completely different story.

In general, many perks look boring. Most often, when improving them, you do not receive any special bonus, you just receive, conditionally, 20/40/60/80/100% damage and that's it. There is no motivation to upgrade many of them, even for the sake of fun. It seems to me that the developer's task is to make any kind of weapon playable, but now in the game, in fact, there is only a grenade launcher, an automatic shotgun and, possibly, a machine gun (for which you will get tired of creating bullets). The rest of the weapon is a deliberate loss.

I agree with this point completely.  Melee in general is absolutely awful, with the sole exception being the sledge which is just barely decent once you max out every single relevant melee perk. 

I also believe that the best gear in the game should only be available through crafting, NOT looting.  Level 6 gear should be a max-rank ability for each perk, and there should be super rare looted materials (rarer than L6 gear drops that are in the game presently) required to craft each piece.

The game needs to be better tiered as well.  I shouldn't be finding L6 AKs on the second day and L6 auto shotguns in week 2, that's just stupid.

2 hours ago, ClanPsi said:

I agree with this point completely.  Melee in general is absolutely awful, with the sole exception being the sledge which is just barely decent once you max out every single relevant melee perk. 

I also believe that the best gear in the game should only be available through crafting, NOT looting.  Level 6 gear should be a max-rank ability for each perk, and there should be super rare looted materials (rarer than L6 gear drops that are in the game presently) required to craft each piece.

The game needs to be better tiered as well.  I shouldn't be finding L6 AKs on the second day and L6 auto shotguns in week 2, that's just stupid.

1. In your opinion melee is generally awful.

2. I'm not judging here, but I cannot for the life of me understand why some people find it's more rewarding to grab a handful of common materials out of their storage and craft the best gear in the game rather than going outside and looting.

3. Have you played Alpha 19? If so, you'd know that this statement couldn't be further from the truth. Unless you're talking about trader quest rewards; those will be properly balanced in A20.

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)

im playing a str sledge build right now

backup fort to augment master chef. rely on rng for forge etc.

there are so many ways to play this game

why do people complain?

have they tried all combos? or just their faves?

the only things that limit your enjoyment of this game is your imagination and your willingness to have fun

using the royal ''your'' there of course. 

3 hours ago, Roland said:

There's no need to worry about grandchildren. You will easily be able to play the finished version of 7 Days to Die with your own kids by time they are old enough to be able to play.

ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

thanks roland, that was funny!

the watched pot never boils

1 hour ago, NukemDed said:

im playing a str sledge build right now

backup fort to augment master chef. rely on rng for forge etc.

there are so many ways to play this game

why do people complain?

have they tried all combos? or just their faves?

the only things that limit your enjoyment of this game is your imagination and your willingness to have fun

using the royal ''your'' there of course. 

I just started with a str/fort sledge build and I'm literally unkillable.

I moved from steel knuckles because it was just, too op for me and wanted to go a step down. Sledge is so goddamn fun compared to steel knuckles though is SLIGHTLY weaker.

I've been meaning to do a stealth build but the sleeper volumes pretty much ruin that and your seen on horde nights anyway so it's (useless?) Perhaps more tweaking can be done.

But your point is correct, the game is what you make of it. Especially with talks of armor sets, a full archer set would be cool, same with a full tank set.

I haven't even dabbled with an explosive build, that could also be extremely fun, for the price of all the nitrate and coal in the land.. which is no downside in my eyes

4 hours ago, ClanPsi said:

For the first bit, get gud with melee. I'm on survivalist, 100% loot, 100% exp, no deaths, on day 16, eith zombos set to sprint at night. Level 4 steel sledge kills any zombie with 2 Power attacks in the head, if needed.

Ever look into grabbing perk books at the trader?

Have you even seen or used madmoles fort build with steel knuckles? I used that in a19.3 and it was just too op i had to back down a bit. Literally power attacking an enemy with steel knuckles staggered them. On top of healing 1 hp every punch, being completely unencumbered at night, and not being weighed down by armor at night due to perk pooks and careful preperation of lootong crack-a-books.

Moving forward, i can agree that we should be able to craft t6 items, but not being found in loot? It's a survival horde SCAVENGING game. That's the entire point, now i do have my own gripes. Like finding stone tools in sealed crates Pre-apocolypse like what the @%$#? That doesn't make any sense.

If your finding l6 aks on second day, then lower your damn exp gain, create shorter days, and set zombies to sprint at night. You'll be forced to take it slow and plan ahead.

5 hours ago, Roland said:

Yeah, but one of the reasons for having those children is to play games together and they are probably still a bit too young to play. How about this: There's no need to worry about grandchildren. You will easily be able to play the finished version of 7 Days to Die with your own kids by time they are old enough to be able to play.

disclaimer: If you're one of those kind of parents who takes their five year olds to rated R horror movies then all bets are off....

I have a 12 year old and he's allowed to play with me for 4 hours on the weekends. So far he's used up all of my explosives, all my 7.62 ammo and my first aid chest. There's also a giant pit in front of my base. He's mature enough for his age to handle the gore (he's played more gory games and seen zombie movies with me) but I wouldn't let him play until they changed the stripper zombie. We found the Shotgun Messiah Shooting Range the other day. It was awesome.

4 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

1. In your opinion melee is generally awful.

2. I'm not judging here, but I cannot for the life of me understand why some people find it's more rewarding to grab a handful of common materials out of their storage and craft the best gear in the game rather than going outside and looting.

3. Have you played Alpha 19? If so, you'd know that this statement couldn't be further from the truth. Unless you're talking about trader quest rewards; those will be properly balanced in A20.

too be fair the melee is a tad bit clanky but not THAT bad.

tbh the only melee weapon i don't uses is Knives only if i have nothing else to uses. and for animals.  I LOVE the Machete and wish there was swords but knifes are not really my style. I would rather uses a axe. at least i can chop more limbs off :D

(nothing to say really)

the loot from traders is not mad. TBH i would rather take extra cash then items at times. but at tier 5, i don't do quest. takes too long and im already armed to the teeth. if there are weapons though. i sell them

7 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

They'll surely explain everything to your children... after they grow up. :heh:

(*old man's voice*)

I remember playing Alpha One on my Commodore 64 back then, they were very different times ya know? *cough, cough*

Now, let me tell you the story of how this game was born... :kev:

Papa! I found this game in your old PC thing, it called 7 Days to die? whats that.

now thats a name i have not heard in a long time

Why is everyone arguing about usefulness of sledgehammers if I wrote about the usefulness of perks? And not only for sledgehammers, not only for weapons... 

Dear fans of using sledgehammers to kill single zombies, please do not aggro on my post, I am in favor for strengthening your favorite style of play, not for removing it

Javelin Master

50% damage for 5 level perk for bad weapon, srsly?

The Infiltrator

There are not many locked chests in the game, lockpicks are cheap, in the late game the drill replaces lockpicks, there are no bonuses other than the chance of being hacked, but could be given a bonus

Treasure Hunter

At least it gives a bonus to quantity of items, but by the time we get it, we will not receive tasks for treasures, it is absolutely not worth an improvement even by level one

Hunter Heavy Armor

We can find and buy level 6 armor, 25% penalty reduce too little

Pack Mule

High levels useless because on this time you already have enough pockets and bags not to improve this skill at all, i never take it

Well Insulated

Many clothes and there are no real penalties for cold and heat in game

Pummel Pete

Skull Crusher

You can tell your stories as much as you like about how you can withstand BM with one baton on the easiest level of difficulty, but these perks are too boring and too weak to swing in a normal game. There are always more profitable perks, and the moment you can max out these perks you will not need to use these weapons

The Brawler

Same

Pain Tolerance

Not entirely useless, but overall, is someone improving this? In my opinion, the game lacks a mechanic of damage reduction in its pure form and damage reduction in a percentage form. Another boring perk. No matter how you improve your sustain, you will never be a meat tank with a big club that can withstand a crowd of zombies.

Healing Factor

Not sure but 40 health points per day? Come on, you can just abuse death or eat 2 cans of canned food. At a high level of perk it also has no value, in battle it will not help and having the opportunity to take the fifth level of the ability you will already acquire first-aid kits. Maybe need a bonus to maximum health or a buff on all incoming healing at high levels

Iron Gut

At first glance, not bad. But why do we need to hold our breath at all? Does anyone have a problem with dysentery? Plus a 1-5% bonus is ridiculous. Even if this is a direct decrease in the chance of poisoning, then even at the last level of improvement you will not be able to eat rot or drink dirty water (why?) So all we get is 25% reduction in hunger and 50% of the duration of effects. Despite the fact that it is in the same branch as farming. Not tempting at all

Rule 1: Cardio

Good perk at the first level of improving, but why are there levels two and three? By this time, you will already have a transport, by level three for sure. The second and third skill levels require strengthening

Archery

Same as Javelin Master, very boring and weak perk for super bad weapons

Deep Cuts

Is someone really fighting with a bone knife instead of a club? or with a hunting knife instead of a grenade launcher?

Light Armor

Same as heavy, yes bonuses are better but in absolute terms they are same

Parkour 

What is it for? For those people who cannot jump over the cliffs in fifth level tasks?

Hidden Strike

From The Shadows

All stealth should be removed from the game for obvious reasons

In quests, you cannot use stealth due to trigger traps

In bloody moon, zombies always see you

Outside of quests and a blood moon, you hardly have any problems with zombies at all

Electrocutioner

Same as Javelin Master

Edited by bachgaman (see edit history)

1 hour ago, bachgaman said:

Pummel Pete

Skull Crusher

You can tell your stories as much as you like about how you can withstand BM with one baton on the easiest level of difficulty, but these perks are too boring and too weak to swing in a normal game. There are always more profitable perks, and the moment you can max out these perks you will not need to use these weapons

Archery

Same as Javelin Master, very boring and weak perk for super bad weapons

Deep Cuts

Is someone really fighting with a bone knife instead of a club? or with a hunting knife instead of a grenade launcher?

Light Armor

Same as heavy, yes bonuses are better but in absolute terms they are same

Parkour 

What is it for? For those people who cannot jump over the cliffs in fifth level tasks?

Hidden Strike

From The Shadows

All stealth should be removed from the game for obvious reasons

In quests, you cannot use stealth due to trigger traps

In bloody moon, zombies always see you

Outside of quests and a blood moon, you hardly have any problems with zombies at all

Again, this is simply based on your playstyle.

For those that don't abuse the death exploit or use settings where loot is a rarity,   these perks are very useful.

Yes, I do fight with a bone knife at the beginning until I can get my hands on a higher quality knife.  Yes, I do perk into Deep Cuts.  Combine with Flurry of blows and parkour, I can handle anything outside of a 64 Z bloodmoon horde

Late game I am still using either a compound bow or crossbow with steel arrows / bolts.  With perks in both archery and Hidden strike, I can do a ton of damage to a sleeper every time I come across one.  And yes, stealth still works in quests and POI for the majority of the time. (there will be cases where stealth won't work).  The other times I trigger and then retreat to see if I can get the Z's to get bored trying to find me.

My last playthrough I ended at Day 123.  I was still using the steel club.

1 minute ago, Urban Blackbear said:

The problem with spears vs the other melee weapons is there is no power attack. Yes, you can throw it and hope that kills the zombie, but why would you?

Because throwing it is the power attack and you can rip it back out of the zombie's body to use again. Or you can put a few spears on your belt to throw throw throw.

None of those are decent enough alternatives to just hitting them again. One requires you to wiggle until you find the right spot to pick it back up which is easier said than done and the other requires you to carry around a bunch of spears. Do they stack if they're modded? Never tried because rifle ammo stacks.

3 minutes ago, Urban Blackbear said:

None of those are decent enough alternatives to just hitting them again. One requires you to wiggle until you find the right spot to pick it back up which is easier said than done and the other requires you to carry around a bunch of spears. Do they stack if they're modded? Never tried because rifle ammo stacks.

Spears never stack.

54 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

Again, this is simply based on your playstyle.

For those that don't abuse the death exploit or use settings where loot is a rarity,   these perks are very useful.

Yes, I do fight with a bone knife at the beginning until I can get my hands on a higher quality knife.  Yes, I do perk into Deep Cuts.  Combine with Flurry of blows and parkour, I can handle anything outside of a 64 Z bloodmoon horde

Late game I am still using either a compound bow or crossbow with steel arrows / bolts.  With perks in both archery and Hidden strike, I can do a ton of damage to a sleeper every time I come across one.  And yes, stealth still works in quests and POI for the majority of the time. (there will be cases where stealth won't work).  The other times I trigger and then retreat to see if I can get the Z's to get bored trying to find me.

My last playthrough I ended at Day 123.  I was still using the steel club.

i never exploited death

nevertheless I never take these perks, because there are always incomparably more useful

I repeat, you can tell any stories from the Adventurer difficulty level, this will in no way change the fact that these perks are worthless

45 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Spears never stack.

best to my knowledge, if an item has a durability bar and random stats, it cant be stacked because each item having separate stats and all of that needs to be constantly checked and recorded...

nevertheless I never take these perks, because there are always incomparably more useful

You're a min/maxer. You will always be limited in playstyle choices when only the most efficient path is the only one that is palatable to you.

I repeat, you can tell any stories from the Adventurer difficulty level, this will in no way change the fact that these perks are worthless

Here's the thing. You can play Insane nightmare and be successful when doing a strength build and perking into Sledge Hammers and Shotguns. You've discovered that you cannot play Insane nightmare successfully when doing a Perception build and perking into Spears and Bows. So you want Spears and bows to get buffed to the point that you will be able to be successful using them in Insane Nightmare.

The problem with that is that there are already people who are successfully doing what you can't and you would be robbing them of the challenge in order to make it easier for yourself. Strength and Fortitude are the easiest of the builds to master. Perception, Agility, and Intelligence are more challenging. You want them all to be equal in challenge so you can play them all at the toughest difficulty level.

You can play them all. You obviously do well with the easier builds on insane nightmare. Seems like you might need to reduce the difficulty to Survivalist or Warrior when playing with the other builds until you get better with them. But asking to decrease the challenge of certain weapons because you feel like they are impossible to use at the highest difficulty only punishes those players who are trying to challenge themselves with those builds at the highest difficulty.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Seems like you might need to reduce the difficulty to Survivalist or Warrior when playing with the other builds until you get better with them.

Haven't you learned that you upset peoples ego and epeen when you suggest turning down the difficulty? :)

2 hours ago, Roland said:

You're a min/maxer. You will always be limited in playstyle choices when only the most efficient path is the only one that is palatable to you.

I don't always choose the most efficient way, give me a fun and playable alternative and I'll use it, but I am offered 10/20/30/40/50% damage on a lame weapon or 10/20/30% to break open a box that does not exist. Oh no, I guess I should rush 1/2/3/4/5 additional inventory slots already have them? After all, from this I get fun and demonstrate my flexibility (low skill) 

You still don’t understand what I’m talking about?

2 hours ago, bachgaman said:

It's obvious that you are trolling me.  If you been paying any attention to my posts, I have clearly stated that I play survivalist which is the second highest difficulty level in the game.  Throw in increasing the speed of daytime zombies above their default, maxing out zombies in BM hordes, and lowering loot levels, I am clearly not paying this game at lower difficulty levels.

But hey, believe whatever you want to believe to justify your opinion; just don't expect others to believe the same as you.

45 minutes ago, bachgaman said:

I don't always choose the most efficient way, give me a fun and playable alternative and I'll use it, but I am offered 10/20/30/40/50% damage on a lame weapon or 10/20/30% to break open a box that does not exist. Oh no, I guess I should rush 1/2/3/4/5 additional inventory slots already have them? After all, from this I get fun and demonstrate my flexibility (low skill) 

You still don’t understand what I’m talking about?

I understand from your own words that if you have a more powerful alternative over a current weapon you are using then the weapon you are currently using no longer seems fun to you.

Spears are definitely not the most powerful but using a spear in combination with a club is just a lot of fun. Jab Jab Throw smash. Is it efficient and is the spear the most powerful option compared to other weapons? No. But it is challenging and fun to use.

• Crater Creator changed the title to A20 Developer Diary Discussions
  • Roland unpinned this topic