A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

8 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

We also have to consider the possibility that the burnt biome might not even exist as a sub-biome at all in the wasteland, but merely an alternate patch of terrain here and there, nothing special or unique about it compared to its "parent biome"; in other words, it'll all be referred to as "wasteland".

i though sub biomes where like a Mix of biomes

like a Snowy wasteland, or a Burnt forest in the pine woods, or a overgrown dessert/Plains, brunt snowy forest, Snowy plains, Grasslands, Dried forest, Maple forest, Desert wasteland etc. 

so what are they in reality? or whats the plan for them?

2 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

i though sub biomes where like a Mix of biomes

like a Snowy wasteland, or a Burnt forest in the pine woods, or a overgrown dessert/Plains, brunt snowy forest, Snowy plains, Grasslands, Dried forest, Maple forest, Desert wasteland etc. 

so what are they in reality? or whats the plan for them?

I think sub biomes will be where the bohemeth lives, if you catch my drift.

Edited by SnowDog1942 (see edit history)

16 hours ago, khzmusik said:

My question: how "deep" will the sub-biome differences be?

Deep biome confirmed, cave systems being introduced for A21 confirmed. Faatal already hiding from the press to avoid the 3,000 questions per hour

Really though, my biggest wishlist item for 7D2D is a randomly generated cave and tunnel system to take advantage of the Voxel based world and give mining some more flair and cool stuff.  Could have mole type digger zombies and some cool stuff to reward that type of playstyle

2 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

Deep biome confirmed, cave systems being introduced for A21 confirmed. Faatal already hiding from the press to avoid the 3,000 questions per hour

Really though, my biggest wishlist item for 7D2D is a randomly generated cave and tunnel system to take advantage of the Voxel based world and give mining some more flair and cool stuff.  Could have mole type digger zombies and some cool stuff to reward that type of playstyle

That's unlike because of Unity. If you try to spread the (single threaded ) main Unity API load  through all CPU threads to lessen the draw call bottleneck you will end up with lots of errors and general unstability, therefore you can only spread some limited amount of tasks to be multithreaded. That Engine flaw prevents the game from properly  use the full potential from both CPU and GPU with extreme emphasis on the CPU.

So to answer your pimp dream, caves are unlikely  to be abundant or very complex in this game because of that particular problem , yet they can be handmade and not perlin using the POI editor and placed in a low POI area plain .  The entity amount being limited is also caused by that Unity issue.

Our wish is then, for Unity devs to improve that flaw and eventually bypass it (unlikely in the short term).

23 hours ago, khzmusik said:

For TFP people working on RWG right now:

From what has previously been said here, we are going to lose at least one major biome. But, to make up for it, biomes that were previously "major" biomes (like the burnt forest) will become sub-biomes.

My question: how "deep" will the sub-biome differences be?

For example, if the burnt forest sub-biome is going to look like the previous burnt forest "major" biome, the sub-biome would have to have its own block stubstitution rules. (Brown grass for green grass, dead trees for live trees, etc.)

Will it go deeper than that? Examples:

Will there be different zombie spawn groups for sub-biomes?
Will POIs be able to target sub-biomes, not just "major" biomes?
Will there be differences in atmospheric effects?
Will a sub-biome have different weather conditions?

I know this sounds a bit like a "wishlist" question. I'm just interested in what is planned for A20.

I will not miss the burnt biome. For navesgane, it sorta made sense, as that was the forest fire after an atom bombing, but in rwg? it made things weird, sorta like the planes biome did. So no i won't miss it, and this sounds like the mods will become really awesome. I am not knocking the base game, but the mod scene will probably pick up after the A20 update.

Is there anything we can do about the Shape Menu, We can check shape of item in our belt. But the other day, I need a shape from wet concrete and I was not sure if the shape is available in which item, so I have to cook it to see what shapes are available in that? but if we can tell which shapes are available before we cook will save lot of time and resources for players.

11 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

RUDE. 😒

152325073_1082188242278819_2293177341720426549_n.jpg.636c16d292f911b7409fbaaa445dccbb.jpg

@Jost Amman The jerk flipped my jeep over; oddly enough it was stuck like that until I re-entered the vehicle. *Shrug*

That's surprising because I remember faatal, a long time ago, saying this would not happen when he first started working on the new vehicle code.

He said there's something in the code that will always revert back your vehicle in the resting position...

2 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

That's surprising because I remember faatal, a long time ago, saying this would not happen when he first started working on the new vehicle code.

He said there's something in the code that will always revert back your vehicle in the resting position...

Too bad I didn't record it.

Thus far in most regards, A20 seems like a bit of a downgrade from A19. New unity version that slightly improves performance and removes some bugs but as always likely introduces new ones. Removal of yet another biome. Change of the custom character system that takes away from just how much can be done with it. Change of clothing system to some pre-determined outfits and removal of clothing slots to simplify it. (What feels like) the 20th rework of the zombie models and loot progression. Even lower tier firearms that will probably be even more useless than the Blunderbuss is. Idk I feel like 7dtd peaked on A16 and A19. A16 pretty much had the best progression but lacked the dungeon crawler POIs and improved distant terrain stuff we have nowadays. It also had a pretty good terrain gen and worlds weren't as small as they are nowadays; (if I wanna generate a world on A19 that has the size that A16 worlds had, I can't do it on my PC anymore because I "only" have 16 GB of RAM).

Get your s#@! together TFP. I can't count just how many times you already reinvented wheels in this game. Hiring more talent to the team won't change a thing as long as there isn't a clear development roadmap and as long as half the resources go into redoing features that were already done 10 times.

And I'm saying this as a big fan of the game who bought it for a bunch of friends and has over 1.5k hours in it.

Edited by Shado47 (see edit history)

17 minutes ago, Shado47 said:

It also had a pretty good terrain gen and worlds weren't as small as they are nowadays; (if I wanna generate a world on A19 that has the size that A16 worlds had, I can't do it on my PC anymore because I "only" have 16 GB of RAM).

I wish we would be able to generate bigger maps if our PCs can handle it. But if the RWG limit is 10k for now, we will have to do with it.

4 minutes ago, Shineblossom said:

I wish we would be able to generate bigger maps if our PCs can handle it. But if the RWG limit is 10k for now, we will have to do with it.

At the very least, we don't need 12k+ map sizes. One could easily live off of a large city until endgame, or close to. But yes, larger sizes would be nice.

2 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

At the very least, we don't need 12k+ map sizes. One could easily live off of a large city until endgame, or close to. But yes, larger sizes would be nice.

You run out of things to explore EXTREMELY quickly. Now, if you have 12 people on server, that makes it even quicker.

1 minute ago, Shineblossom said:

We don't have online more than half most of the time, but still, you log off, come next day and half of city you haven't even know was there is already looted.

In that case, hopefully in A20 one of the RWG features will be the ability to select the number of towns per world, and have it higher than default currently.

4 hours ago, Shado47 said:

Thus far in most regards, A20 seems like a bit of a downgrade from A19. New unity version that slightly improves performance and removes some bugs but as always likely introduces new ones. Removal of yet another biome. Change of the custom character system that takes away from just how much can be done with it. Change of clothing system to some pre-determined outfits and removal of clothing slots to simplify it. (What feels like) the 20th rework of the zombie models and loot progression. Even lower tier firearms that will probably be even more useless than the Blunderbuss is. Idk I feel like 7dtd peaked on A16 and A19. A16 pretty much had the best progression but lacked the dungeon crawler POIs and improved distant terrain stuff we have nowadays. It also had a pretty good terrain gen and worlds weren't as small as they are nowadays; (if I wanna generate a world on A19 that has the size that A16 worlds had, I can't do it on my PC anymore because I "only" have 16 GB of RAM).

Get your s#@! together TFP. I can't count just how many times you already reinvented wheels in this game. Hiring more talent to the team won't change a thing as long as there isn't a clear development roadmap and as long as half the resources go into redoing features that were already done 10 times.

And I'm saying this as a big fan of the game who bought it for a bunch of friends and has over 1.5k hours in it.

So you are saying you are against the current RWG rework because it is another rework even though it should bring back some features we are missing since A16?

Now I don't know why A16's RWG was deemed not good enough, I can only assume it had its limits as well. But I'm pretty sure I want that overhaul that they are doing now if it brings back rivers and lakes and cities as their own "biome".

9 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

No worries. The jeep can do that as long as there's nobody inside. When you enter again the code forces it to stay in the correct position. So you can do crazy things with the vehicles if you exit them in the precise moment. Lots of fun actually but only if you do that to others lol.

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)