A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

Just now, KhaineGB said:

Potentially silly example. Add it as a DLC like Left 4 Dead's Last Stand.

Every night is horde night and you've got the day to get your stuff together and prepare.

Or perhaps you have to survive x amount of days until a helicopter can take you to safety, or you die. Whichever comes first. Every night is horde night, with each one becoming noticeably more challenging than the last.

Edit: Wouldn't fit the lore of the game though, so nevermind.

I'm liking where this is going though. Very interesting indeed.

9 hours ago, Atrimislegnacra said:

Sorry I meant "eventually in the long term plan" by "goal" not is there anything to do atm for a goal, as I understand that atm there's no real end game, just lather-rinse and repeat.

It's planned that in a future update, there will be bandits and a final boss called The Duke of Navezgane. The player will have to do a bunch of quests and eventually will be sent to meet the Duke. How the final battle will go and what will happen after is unknown for now.

1 hour ago, Xtrakicking said:

It's planned that in a future update, there will be bandits and a final boss called The Duke of Navezgane. The player will have to do a bunch of quests and eventually will be sent to meet the Duke. How the final battle will go and what will happen after is unknown for now.

Duke: Let the final battle begin!

"Duke pulls out a Yu-Gi-Oh deck"

13 hours ago, wolfbain5 said:

since a19.4 is in experimental, and this looks like it was a simple fix, you did it so damn fast. is this one that will be back ported or just hold my horses and wait til a20

Alpha 20 won't be out for months. My guess would be the final quarter of this year, although there's no telling really.

18 hours ago, Xtrakicking said:

Excellent. So many survival/crafting games don't seam to have an end game (at least ones still in early access I guess) so having one planned even in the long term makes me happy.
Personally I'd probably take forever to get to said ending, enjoying my building then, but I know some people would like the opposite; rush to the end, then build until their hearts are content. The smart money is to allow both.

Edited by Atrimislegnacra (see edit history)

11 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Alpha 20 won't be out for months. My guess would be the final quarter of this year, although there's no telling really.

And yet they were suggesting the possibility of going gold back in 2019.

On 2/11/2021 at 11:12 AM, Roland said:

Wouldn't matter. Madmole already clarified his position on this "once and for all" but people always go dig up whatever quote they want to use to stir things up. He could answer you right now and in six months some other guys will bring it all up again and go back to the original quote ignoring what Madmole answers you here and now. On the internet, with trolls at their keyboards, there is no such thing as "once and for all".

It's funny that I find the above post, as I was the one that "claimed" it, again, as I said, going by second had information. I would like to see said "once and for all" post though, because as it reads, and the fact that it was deleted does make one question things.

3 hours ago, Atrimislegnacra said:

It's funny that I find the above post, as I was the one that "claimed" it, again, as I said, going by second had information. I would like to see said "once and for all" post though, because as it reads, and the fact that it was deleted does make one question things.

You got the information second hand.  How do you even know that the post was “deleted”?  MM has always been supportive of crafting and building.  Based on MM’s stance over the various alphas, I wouldn’t trust your source.  You don’t need an “once and for all” post, you just have to be following MM’s posts as he makes them.

Edited by BFT2020 (see edit history)

36 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

You got the information second hand.  How do you even know that the post was “deleted”?  MM has always been supportive of crafting and building.  Based on MM’s stance over the various alphas, I wouldn’t trust your source.  You don’t need an “once and for all” post, you just have to be following MM’s posts as he makes them.

I was linked to the post in the forums, and tried to scroll back to find the original to get context. It was deleted. I'm new to the game, ya know, and honestly this is the first time I've posted on the forums (Maybe once a few months ago when it went from A18 to A19 and I was bugged that the progress didn't save, not sure if I posted on the forums or just steam) but hey, it's cool you're a fan. Give people the chance to learn instead of demanding they militantly follow, yea?

Edit: I wanna add; people are allowed to be confused by second hand information, and want to know the truth. Nothing wrong with that. The guy that came to the forums, crying to MM about misinformation didn't give me any facts on Steam, just opinions. Sorry, I don't believe everything I read without facts backing it up. Not being able to find a missing post? That I can read. Someone telling me to just believe them? Yea, no, sorry, I don't watch Fox News, either. However reading the posts after the fact? That's different. I've also admitted I made a mistake. Sorry that you've been a fan for a long time, but ya know, some people decide to get the game later, and haven't been playing it forever, but I only started near the end of A18, and thanks to ADHD I flip around dozens of games all the time.

Edited by Atrimislegnacra (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Atrimislegnacra said:

And yet they were suggesting the possibility of going gold back in 2019.

Wait...you only started playing at the end of Alpha 18 and you're posting snippily about how long the game is taking to go Gold?

Oh yeah.....ADHD....

6 hours ago, Atrimislegnacra said:

You can take me as a first-hand source. 7 Days to Die will remain a voxel game with block-by-block building. There will always be specialized blocks that the developers use to create POI's that are not meant to be available to players in the game. Players who want the specialized blocks can edit the game files to include those blocks. The default exclusion of those blocks should not be taken as a sign that The Fun Pimps don't care about builders or don't place an emphasis on building as an essential aspect of the game. 

The conversation that you referenced was Madmole musing about how he might have done things differently if they were able to go back in time. It was simply a statement of how difficult it has been to develop the game as a voxel world but it was not a letter of intention for actually making the world static or removing block-by-block building from the game.

There were a lot of posts deleted when we switched over to the new forum platform. There was no cover-up trying to remove evidence that TFP secretly plans to switch to a static non-voxel world. The way the game is now is about 95% how it will always be and changing the entire way the world is rendered is not in the road map. 

Now, if my statement still does not satisfy your anxiety about the future of building in this game then you will just have to continue to worry about it until the game goes Gold eventually and you finally have the physical proof in front of you of a finished and complete game AND voxels and block-by-block building are still intact and functional.

I just hope the anxiety won't return for you whenever a DLC is announced that maybe THIS time will be the time it all gets taken away....

22 minutes ago, Survager said:

@madmole Hello.
I have been pondering on this post for a while and would like to ask a question.

As I understand it, the armor that we have now will leave the game and new clothes-armor / armor-clothes will come in its place.

Now at Alpha 19, players can adjust the level of protection against damage with armor, and the level of protection against weather conditions with clothing.

If in 20 Alpha clothes are also armor, how can players regulate the level of protection, for example, from cold or heat?
Will this be done with modifications? Or are you going to add summer and winter options for armor-clothing

Looks like this has been pushed to A21. Read the first page.

7 hours ago, Roland said:

Wait...you only started playing at the end of Alpha 18 and you're posting snippily about how long the game is taking to go Gold?

Oh yeah.....ADHD....

You can take me as a first-hand source. 7 Days to Die will remain a voxel game with block-by-block building. There will always be specialized blocks that the developers use to create POI's that are not meant to be available to players in the game. Players who want the specialized blocks can edit the game files to include those blocks. The default exclusion of those blocks should not be taken as a sign that The Fun Pimps don't care about builders or don't place an emphasis on building as an essential aspect of the game. 

The conversation that you referenced was Madmole musing about how he might have done things differently if they were able to go back in time. It was simply a statement of how difficult it has been to develop the game as a voxel world but it was not a letter of intention for actually making the world static or removing block-by-block building from the game.

There were a lot of posts deleted when we switched over to the new forum platform. There was no cover-up trying to remove evidence that TFP secretly plans to switch to a static non-voxel world. The way the game is now is about 95% how it will always be and changing the entire way the world is rendered is not in the road map. 

Now, if my statement still does not satisfy your anxiety about the future of building in this game then you will just have to continue to worry about it until the game goes Gold eventually and you finally have the physical proof in front of you of a finished and complete game AND voxels and block-by-block building are still intact and functional.

I just hope the anxiety won't return for you whenever a DLC is announced that maybe THIS time will be the time it all gets taken away....

The "gold" thing was a joke, not meant to be malicious, since I just watched an old video by a streamer where he said they were planning to go gold soon. As someone who's developed even just games with RPG maker, I understand that delays of countless kinds can take effect, and given I've seen the game improve in graphics and read the changes in the systems (like adding weapon/tool mods only just a few updates ago, they didn't exist before A17 I think? I'm not clear on that, I just know it was an old video of an old alpha build)
Now then on the voxel thing; the quoted post was rather vague and could have had several meanings, I admitted that, and admit it again. I didn't know the forums changed, which would indeed count for missing posts (I've been on several sites that changed domains and had the same thing happen)
A lack of knowledge doesn't a malicious intent, and I am sorry for being mistaken. I also didn't really have any anxiety, again I was just quoting what other people had said. The funny thing is, the guy that came running here, never even mentioned he went out of his way to comment on a post that wasn't even about madmole's comment. The post, in fact, was titled "What do you think of the idea of a turret that uses 7.62 rounds" because I thought the idea of a powered turret, not an auto one, that fired these rounds, albeit in a slow, but powerful fashion, would be an interesting idea. Sort of a focused shotgun turret.

TL;DR My bad, misread, no malice intended.

Good to hear. You came on strong but I can see that you probably felt defensive given the circumstances. I was joking back at you about the ADHD thing since you brought it up yourself. I'm glad you came over to our forums from Steam and hope you stay on. Don't let this initial tiff and downvoting by some of the community put you off. This place is pretty chill in general. :)

9 minutes ago, Roland said:

Good to hear. You came on strong but I can see that you probably felt defensive given the circumstances. I was joking back at you about the ADHD thing since you brought it up yourself. I'm glad you came over to our forums from Steam and hope you stay on. Don't let this initial tiff and downvoting by some of the community put you off. This place is pretty chill in general. :)

Not really, people defend what they love, I get that. I wasn't trying to come off strong, though I do indeed have adult ADHD, been officially diagnosed with it and everything. Sucks when I'm unable to concentrate on anything.

34 minutes ago, Atrimislegnacra said:

Not really, people defend what they love, I get that. I wasn't trying to come off strong, though I do indeed have adult ADHD, been officially diagnosed with it and everything. Sucks when I'm unable to concentrate on anything.

And everything that pops up during a normal day, you find yourself doing things you never planned on doing.  On one hand it is great having your mind going over mutliple things all the time.  On the other hand, concentrating on one task to completion is a pain in the rear.  I got the T shirt also so I can sympathize  with you; though based on your comments, you got it worse than me.

16 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Gotta love RNG. In my previous world it took my 80 days to find a cigar. In my new world I'm on day 3 and I've found 3 already.

I've always sought the cigar and nerdy glasses.  Weird combo in the real world but fits me perfectly in 7DTD.  :p

Maybe not weird, but rare:

George Burns - Hollywood Star Walk - Los Angeles Times

Edited by Maharin (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, khzmusik said:

<snipped>

We also have to consider the possibility that the burnt biome might not even exist as a sub-biome at all in the wasteland, but merely an alternate patch of terrain here and there, nothing special or unique about it compared to its "parent biome"; in other words, it'll all be referred to as "wasteland".