A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

On 2/8/2021 at 12:24 AM, Roland said:

The burnt zombie is in and super creepy. Scary enough looking and behaving to be a higher tier zombie like maybe the soldier but it is just as weak as the old model. I wouldn’t be opposed to them beefing it up a bit. Almost reminds me of the skinless terminator so you kind of expect it to be a beast but then it turns out to be wimpy. 

4 hours ago, Roland said:

Awesome! I still think the basic version could be on par with the soldier zombies as far as toughness goes instead of like the other basic zombies. Then the ferals would be that much more badass.

It would make (ahem) common sense that the burning zombies could only drop a few non-flammable items, like scrap iron and empty jars.  Since that's not happening (in vanilla), what would make the next most sense is for them not to drop loot bags at all.  In which case, the risk vs. reward balance would suggest they shouldn't be very tough.

2 hours ago, SG1-09 said:

NB : no concept art / A20 screens on the first page anymore. Is there any reason ?

They played valheim, saw what unity could do and are redoing their roadmap.

Kidding.  My guppy memory says they did at one point set players on fire, and I see the buff commented out... That coming back?

On 2/8/2021 at 1:20 AM, Yomado said:

Cant wait for the quests changes to come live. I accepted tier 5s as the unlock and I hate not being able to do some of the tier 3 quest locations as they have some pretty nice rewards for the time ratio like books. tier 4s and 5s do not have a large amount of book spawns but 3s and 2s do.

2 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Thanks, that's great news... I guess it's very likely we'll see the drone in action in A20 then! :photo:

Dismemberment improvements? CooCooCoool! :whoo:

If ya'll keep working like this you could even add something like the finish kill-moves from Skyrim to combat. :smokin:

Honestly, I don't fully enjoy those finish kill-moves in Skyrim and deep down I don't tolerate them very well even if they are cool. The reason being that they take away the full control of the player over his avatar even if it's for a short while even if they make nice moves unthinkable for the basic handling of a 1st person game.

So in the end I prefer any improvement over the animations and first person "feeling" with different kinds of feedback like dismemberment and the like, but I would hate to have my keyboard blocked in a game in which every second matters.

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)

24 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

Honestly, I don't fully enjoy those finish kill-moves in Skyrim and deep down I don't tolerate them very well even if they are cool. The reason being that they take away the full control of the player over his avatar even if it's for a short while even if they make nice moves unthinkable for the basic handling of a 1st person game.

So in the end I prefer any improvement over the animations and first person "feeling" with different kinds of feedback like dismemberment and the like, but I would hate to have my keyboard blocked in a game in which every second matters.

I understand your worry, but while the FKM is playing time slows down to a crawl and it actually takes almost the same time as the regular manual hit & kill.

The real problem is, IMO, that implementing such elaborate moves with at least two actors involved would be a huge time sink for the devs.

So, take my comment for what it was... just daydreaming. :sleep:

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

I understand your worry, but while the JIGGLING TIDDIES are playing time slows down to a crawl and it actually takes almost the same time as the regular manual JIGGLING TIDDIES.

The real problem is, IMO, that implementing such elaborate moves with at least two actors involved would be a huge time sink for the devs.

I appreciate it. Also, fixed that for you.

2 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

I understand your worry, but while the FKM is playing time slows down to a crawl and it actually takes almost the same time as the regular manual hit & kill.

They did talk about special finishing moves in their kickstarter trailer, IIRC. 

4 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Such as a quadruple sideways spin move midair ending with a kick shot to the groin?

More like when clubs break, you can jam the broken shard into a zombie's skull; so yeah, pretty much.

(Yes, what I said was in the original trailer. Lol)

13 hours ago, Guppycur said:

They played valheim, saw what unity could do and are redoing their roadmap.

Kidding.  My guppy memory says they did at one point set players on fire, and I see the buff commented out... That coming back?

Not sure why this one got moved; the question is germane to the conversation. 

11 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Are there plans to add a trader restock slider in A20? I would personally set it to every 7 days myself instead of the standard 3.

I would love an option to have it turned off, so the trader only has what they have and once that's depleted it forces you to go to the next trader.

2 hours ago, AaronG85 said:

I would love an option to have it turned off, so the trader only has what they have and once that's depleted it forces you to go to the next trader.

at that point might as well just not use traders..  their initial stock is a drop in the bucket of stuff you need.    Ive tried this, it makes it, interesting.

15 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Are there plans to add a trader restock slider in A20? I would personally set it to every 7 days myself instead of the standard 3.

You may be interested in this mod in the meantime... I stumbled on it yesterday while searching for an alternative HUD.

14 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

You are a saint @Jost Amman :)

So I thought that in A19 the 4x4 truck was supposed to be equal speed to the motorcycle. Capp00 did some testing and as it turns out it's actually faster than the motorcycle. Will this be balanced in A20?

Just curious, just because its faster why is that not balanced?  Its a higher tier in INT to build it (and more expensive to build i think?).   Shouldn't that mean its better?

1 minute ago, SnowDog1942 said:

Just curious, just because its faster why is that not balanced?  Its a higher tier in INT to build it (and more expensive to build i think?).   Shouldn't that mean its better?

If anything, I'd make it slower than the motorcycle to compensate for the much larger inventory size.

1 hour ago, MechanicalLens said:

If anything, I'd make it slower than the motorcycle to compensate for the much larger inventory size.

I would be fine with the 4x4 being slower if it handled the off-roading better than the motorcycle.  To me, that would be a good balance.  Motorcycle - Fastest on roads, doesn't handle rough terrain very well, medium size storage (compared to Minibike).  4x4 - Slower than the motorcycle on roads but better off-roading capabilities, larger storage space