A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

28 minutes ago, letstoke69 said:

ok so i was just wondering, but maybe if there was a way to use cloth in early game to help soundproof houses. to help reduce nosies you make inside to help keep them from finding you as easily. like for crafting at night. 

There is not, that would definitely be a 7 Days 2 Die feature for the sequel as it would require like, all kinds of new mechanics and engines. Sound barely makes a difference in current version, you can fire guns and run an auger all day and you'll only get a roaming horde every once in a while. Screamers are mostly attracted to forges as best I can tell, just normal crafting and moving about in your house shouldn't cause any issues

I kind of miss the old system where they were super srs bsns about finding the player and would track you if you had meat and stuff on you. The first time I played the game was extremely memorable, because I was holed up in a prefab terrified to make any noise, as zombies tore their way in to get to my campfire with food coking on it. 

Edited by Khalagar (see edit history)

33 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

I kind of miss the old system where they were super srs bsns about finding the player and would track you if you had meat and stuff on you. The first time I played the game was extremely memorable, because I was holed up in a prefab terrified to make any noise, as zombies tore their way in to get to my campfire with food coking on it. 

Yeah, I relate to this a lot. My buddy and I almost got destroyed once, because he opened a safe while a wondering horde was passing by at night. The zombies tracked us all the way upstairs. Doesn't seem like those things happen often anymore, sadly.

35 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

There is not, that would definitely be a 7 Days 2 Die feature for the sequel as it would require like, all kinds of new mechanics and engines. Sound barely makes a difference in current version, you can fire guns and run an auger all day and you'll only get a roaming horde every once in a while. Screamers are mostly attracted to forges as best I can tell, just normal crafting and moving about in your house shouldn't cause any issues

Screamers are mostly attracted to augers, but those are more situational than forges. Seriously, just use an auger with the Art of Mining book series complete and you'll get a screamer once every 20-30 seconds on average. -_-

21 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

More like the first few slow weeks. XD

The game really picks up when you get the bike. Obviously, the longer it goes, the more exciting it is until you reach the wall at which you just start a new game.

6 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Screamers are mostly attracted to augers, but those are more situational than forges. Seriously, just use an auger with the Art of Mining book series complete and you'll get a screamer once every 20-30 seconds on average. -_-

I had tons of screamers in A18 when I used an auger, but I dunno, in A19 I run my auger right at surface level for 10 minutes (until my rock candy runs out) and rarely ever have more than 1 total screamer. Now chainsaws, THOSE attract screamers and hordes like mad for some reason, maybe auger is bugged in A19

1 hour ago, Khalagar said:

I had tons of screamers in A18 when I used an auger, but I dunno, in A19 I run my auger right at surface level for 10 minutes (until my rock candy runs out) and rarely ever have more than 1 total screamer. Now chainsaws, THOSE attract screamers and hordes like mad for some reason, maybe auger is bugged in A19

Maybe you just had a bugged session or something. On some worlds I'd get screamers a mile a minute when I was using an auger, but when they didn't show up I would bring up the console menu, and it usually registered it as "Spawning zombie scout failed".

29 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Maybe you just had a bugged session or something. On some worlds I'd get screamers a mile a minute when I was using an auger, but when they didn't show up I would bring up the console menu, and it usually registered it as "Spawning zombie scout failed".

It depends on where you mine. If you mine far away and in random spots then you can avoid a constant screamer parade for a few minutes. If you mine in a workstation area or in a previously heated place without the proper "cooling" time then it's very possible to have peak heat and get constant lady attention from minute 1. Happens to me near my base, yet on a Tier 3 POI with guns (and above) and far away mining I would get just one or two fangirls in that half hour.

Worry not ! According to the OP we get a new model for the Screamer in a20, I'm sure we will learn to love it !

Spoiler

screamlady.jpg.321e7225636736449a70edf4e1725e05.jpg

What you are mining with the auger makes a big difference in how likely screamers are to spawn.

Mining metal is the culprit. You will get a lot of screamers if you are doing a big iron mining session. If you are just mining stone you won't see nearly as many screamers.

13 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Love that *-* need the exp xD

iirc one of the devs said that the heat was generated when the auger starts so if you start and stop a lot then you wiil get more screamers than if you keep the hammer down

i love the auger, use it a lot, and get very few screamers

then again i hear that you can pick a mine up with the right mods in a wrench

12 hours ago, Blake_ said:

It depends on where you mine. If you mine far away and in random spots then you can avoid a constant screamer parade for a few minutes. If you mine in a workstation area or in a previously heated place without the proper "cooling" time then it's very possible to have peak heat and get constant lady attention from minute 1. Happens to me near my base, yet on a Tier 3 POI with guns (and above) and far away mining I would get just one or two fangirls in that half hour.

Ah this could be it.  I have different ores flagged around the local area, and just drive out once every week or two and mine for about 10 minutes then leave for another week or two. The heat map probably cools between sessions.

I always put my junk turrets watching my back ready to kill anything that falls into my mine entrance but I usually see a max of like 1 screamer per mining session. It's usually just a random zombie or two that wander by and fall in  more than screamers.

With the chainsaw thing, I've got a tree farm right next to the base so I bet it's a hot zone, so as soon as I fire it up I get swarmed

Edited by Khalagar (see edit history)

31 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

Ah this could be it.  I have different ores flagged around the local area, and just drive out once every week or two and mine for about 10 minutes then leave for another week or two. The heat map probably cools between sessions.

I always put my junk turrets watching my back ready to kill anything that falls into my mine entrance but I usually see a max of like 1 screamer per mining session. It's usually just a random zombie or two that wander by and fall in  more than screamers.

With the chainsaw thing, I've got a tree farm right next to the base so I bet it's a hot zone, so as soon as I fire it up I get swarmed

That explains it then. I always use the one mine for an entire game and I mine there every night. I sometimes get screamers every 15 seconds, and I never allow the heat map to cool down. It would take a simple solution - a 5x5x3 wall surrounding the entrance to my mine and guarded with SMG turrets, but I am too lazy. 😛

8 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

That explains it then. I always use the one mine for an entire game and I mine there every night. I sometimes get screamers every 15 seconds, and I never allow the heat map to cool down. It would take a simple solution - a 5x5x3 wall surrounding the entrance to my mine and guarded with SMG turrets, but I am too lazy. 😛

robotic turret bro.

hear them, go up, bang bang, easy xp thank you 🙂

On 1/28/2021 at 4:12 AM, The Gronk said:

Forewords:  Preface to a book.

ha ha you win

Yep, junk turrets are a miners best friend. I either put them on top covering the entrance to the mine with covering firing angles, or put them down in the mine itself ready to blow away and zombies that stumble in and drop down. Honestly, playing with Junk Turrets watching your back is so much harder lol

37 minutes ago, Morloc said:

Testing. Last post before this was Tuesday. Checking to see if there's a problem...

Please disregard otherwise.

-Morloc

Correction....the last on topic post was last Tuesday. There have been plenty of posts since Tuesday but they have been re-routed.

Congestion Ahead: Rerouting… - What's Up? Media

On 10/28/2020 at 10:46 PM, thepcwiz101 said:

Imagine that Alpha 21 (after Alpha 20) is the final Alpha lol. One can dream but then again the new and constant updates is kinda nice though.

A29 is my vote. 

6 minutes ago, Roland said:

Correction....the last on topic post was last Tuesday. There have been plenty of posts since Tuesday but they have been re-routed.

Congestion Ahead: Rerouting… - What's Up? Media

is that a damn powerpoint?

SMH roland you never change

I mean, does it really matter at this point? The forums are pretty much dead now and besides Faatal, none of the devs post here anymore.  Well madmole once in a blue moon but ya, awfully quiet around here now days.  Do what you feel is right though of course 😉

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Do you want to discuss, debate, and give your opinion about Alpha 20?

Do you have a huge list of suggestions for Alpha 20?

Do you want to post memes and poke fun at what other users post?

Do you want to ask about A19 bugs?

Are you wondering where all your posts got moved?

This is your ticket to understanding.

This has completely obliterated the vibe in here.

The old system was additive, people would add to the discussion which occassionally prompted devs to add to the discussion which in turn prompted the people to add, and so on...

The current system is subtractive.  Anything not within a very limited set of parameters is removed, this leads to less discussion among the people which in turn leads to less interaction from the devs which, in turn, leads to less discussion from the people, and so on...

To put it simply.  We are only supposed to post as a direct response to a dev.  Are we just waiting for a dev to blurt out random facts?  How do the people encourage interaction from the devs?

1 minute ago, The Gronk said:

This has completely obliterated the vibe in here.

The old system was additive, people would add to the discussion which occassionally prompted devs to add to the discussion which in turn prompted the people to add, and so on...

The current system is subtractive.  Anything not within a very limited set of parameters is removed, this leads to less discussion among the people which in turn leads to less interaction from the devs which, in turn, leads to less discussion from the people, and so on...

To put it simply.  We are only supposed to post as a direct response to a dev.  Are we just waiting for a dev to blurt out random facts?  How do the people encourage interaction from the devs?

These forums will always be the same habitat we use to have fun, though, as I not disagree with you in any way, the guys out there had a tough year a bit more than us and they try to stay focused on their both professional and personal life goals. We trust in them, remember. 

Let`s give them the time they need 😛 

1 minute ago, beerfly said:

These forums will always be the same habitat we use to have fun, though, as I not disagree with you in any way, the guys out there had a tough year a bit more than us and they try to stay focused on their both professional and personal life goals. We trust in them, remember. 

Let`s give them the time they need 😛 

You know half the staff are European right?

I don't know about you but I've been a lot more productive since the only thing I can do is sit behind a computer and piddle about with code.

• Crater Creator changed the title to A20 Developer Diary Discussions
  • Roland unpinned this topic