A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

Hey guys! first off I want to say, ive been following this game for a long time and it has evolved into arguably one of the best survival crafting games on the market. You guys doing an awesome job :)) 
My one question for A20 is...(ignore me if this been asked somwhere in here), will you be fixing the wiring appearance? it hangs under lights and stuff creating shadows and well... looks like it's connected to air. Or maybe even a "hide wires" option? 

7 minutes ago, AnUmbralMind said:

My one question for A20 is...(ignore me if this been asked somwhere in here), will you be fixing the wiring appearance? it hangs under lights and stuff creating shadows and well... looks like it's connected to air. Or maybe even a "hide wires" option? 

I can answer this... Madmole said (not the exact words) that the entire point of this electric system is to look and feel "ragtag", so if you expect them to make a modern and functional electric system like (e.g.) in EGS, forget it, it's out of theme.

IIRC they did talk, however, about the possibility to only show wires while you're holding the wire tool in your hand. We'll see.

Edited by Jost Amman
typo (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

I can answer this... Madmole said (not the exact words) that the entire point of this electric system is to look and feel "ragtag", so if you expect them to make a modern and function electric system like (e.g.) in EGS, forget it, it's out of theme.

IIRC they did talk, however, about the possibility to only show wires while you're holding the wire tool in your hand. We'll see.

Hey thanks for your reply! 
yeah i totally dig the ragtag feel ofcourse and i dont mind that they hang. I looked into it more and realized that my issue was with lights that are part of light sources added on a modded server x) my issue is completely irrelevant. thank you for your time hahah

I gotta be honest, I really, really dislike that dog model, and if/when it's implemented I hope I can find a mod that replaces it.  It's not because it's scary or bad or something, it's because it's just depressing.  It looks like a burned dog, and just conjures up all kind of images of animal cruelty.  I'd much rather have something like the picture Blake_ posted, because that at least looks like natural decay, as opposed to a dog being burned alive.

3 minutes ago, Vaeliorin said:

I gotta be honest, I really, really dislike that dog model, and if/when it's implemented I hope I can find a mod that replaces it.  It's not because it's scary or bad or something, it's because it's just depressing.  It looks like a burned dog, and just conjures up all kind of images of animal cruelty.  I'd much rather have something like the picture Blake_ posted, because that at least looks like natural decay, as opposed to a dog being burned alive.

927977168_absolutelyharambe.jpeg.2a0c3c9390dead73b380bdc76c9572df.jpeg

6 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

PLEASE STOP! You're awakening the Grammar Nazi in ME!! :spy::fear:

well you're lucky i have been on my 7DTD hiatus. or else's you would see more of my god awful Spelling and Grammar! 

:)

1 hour ago, Vaeliorin said:

i like it but i disagree with the dog breed choice. but i don't work for The fun pimps and it looks Really good!
so.....

Fine with me!

9 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

I can answer this... Madmole said (not the exact words) that the entire point of this electric system is to look and feel "ragtag", so if you expect them to make a modern and functional electric system like (e.g.) in EGS, forget it, it's out of theme.

One option to hide wiring however, if your base design allows it, is to run the wires through the floor and have arrow slits placed down that form the floor, allowing you to access relays, lights, etc. down through them with ease.

Are you going to put kid npcs in the game at some point ?

Madmole: Pretty much no to every "any chance for" question.

Bethesda: Proceeds to put them in but completely immortal so you can punch, shoot, burn, electrocute, freeze,  slash, hit, blow, humiliate and subyugate the hell out of the poor creature to your heart's content without any consecuence. 

13 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

One option to hide wiring however, if your base design allows it, is to run the wires through the floor and have arrow slits placed down that form the floor, allowing you to access relays, lights, etc. down through them with ease.

Another easy solution is to pretend they don't exist 🤣

On 1/12/2021 at 3:03 PM, Roland said:

So you are willing to challenge yourself by increasing the slider marked "difficulty" but not willing to challenge yourself by playing a build other than strength or agility? Here you are complaining that the game is so samey play after play and the only way you can keep playing is to up the difficulty to be challenged. Why not play on an easier difficulty like warrior (if necessary) but ignore strength and go fortitude or perception or even intellect as your main build for weapons and only do strength and agility for support perks? Personally, I'd call the Strength build the "Noob Build" because it is easiest and most straightforward. Sounds like you have mastered it and may be ready to try something new.

Saying you want a challenge and a different kind of playthrough but then doggedly sticking to always playing Strength because you perceive it to be superior to everything else is a big contradiction. The "dumpster fire" is actually you limiting yourself to a single way of playing and ignoring all the alternative pathways that can offer different gameplay experiences and challenges-- all the things you claim to be craving....

You try to make it through Insane Nightmare mode with a pure perception build with minimal investment in strength and agility and let me know how that works out for you lol. The club and sledge are the only weapons which reliably knock enemies down, it's necessary to use them and invest in them. Combat is a science on Insane Nightmare: Always get a sneak archery shot whenever possible, because that makes you knock down the enemy easier with the club or sledge once they reach you. Use wood frames and the spear for buried treasure quests, so you can hit them, and they can't hit you. Use the knife to cause bleeds, to expediate that process. Of course I could spec into agility to slow the speed of zombies with bleeds, making them more manageable. But I absolutely have to invest in sexy rex for club/sledge efficiency first, there's no way around that. Then I need intellect, there's no way around that. I need a forge, workbench, mixer, chem station, etc. You simply reduce your chances of survival significantly if you don't take that linear path. I like the level by doing aspect because since I am using every single weapon, maybe I'd slowly get better with all of them. Spears/knives for buried treasure, bow/club for quests and wilderness, etc. Using frames and hatches as needed to safe-spot the enemies, repairing the frame/hatch as needed periodically. Glock9 does a good job of succeeding, but you just know that if he deviated from Strength, he'd fail. That's not to say he's at all flawed in any way, he's just using the only viable path to succeed on such a difficulty. My only gripe is how trader-centric the meta is. Traders used to be an afterthought and your survival came first, but now it's like survival comes second and basing up near the trader comes first. 

I DO appreciate profoundly, the fact that different weapons have different uses. I know for a fact that it's safer to use spears and knife-bleeds for those buried treasure quests, because the range of my club was not long enough to ensure I could hit them and they couldn't hit me. Archery and clubs are dope for wilderness kills, just get that sneak shot and you'll floor 'em with the first power attack to the head with your club. I find myself using every weapon for different contexts... I just wish I was leveling my proficiency in the weapons while I did, it would feel organic. The issue with Attributes is you'll always have imbalance, Strength and Agility are objectively superior, with Fortitude being a close second place, but fist weapons are bunk crap compared to anything else. @%$# range, @%$# damage, just no whump factor. Remove the attributes and restore leveling by doing, and at least a person will be able to choose the perks they want, use the weapons they want, and won't be pidgeonholed into some poorly curated build that nobody asked for. It would be particularly dope if you simply had a gameplay style slider, where one end was level by doing A16 type stuff, and the other end was attribute stuff. Because sadly when you elect for one you do in essence punish anybody who liked the other. And yeah, I've felt the game just hasn't had the same appeal since A16. It looks better now but feels worse and I can't articulate it any other way, I should get better at mining by mining. It should build my muscles and grant me more endurance while doing it, over the long haul. I shouldn't have to kill 16 zombies to unlock a point so that I can spend it on an attribute, then do the same thing again, then unlock 2 more points to get a little better at mining. It just feels inorganic and hollow. 

But clearly you can see, since I quit smoking, although still rough around the edges, I'm not the same ass hat lol. Cigarettes just make emotionally challenged people become even more emotionally challenged, I think it's purely the nicotine and how it compels you toward anxiousness.

Edited by Promethean Winchester (see edit history)

Anyway Roland I have a lot of respect for how you probably get a lot of people like me who stir the pot and cause trouble, yet you always try to create relatability and understanding rather than firing back. I've seen it too many times where you temper yourself and be the bigger man, and try to reason with people who are frustrated, and I've seen it happen several times where I was the frustrated person. I just want to, of my own volition, for no real reason, express the fact that I respect and appreciate the person you are. It's a fine example of how to conduct oneself. 

5 hours ago, Promethean Winchester said:

<snipped>

I'm currently engaged in a playthrough where I am initiating zero contact with traders. It's quite liberating. If you're still playing the game, I suggest you give it a try at some point.

I have little issue with traders, both in Alpha 19, as it's been pointed out numerous times already by other individuals including Madmole himself, they are terribly unbalanced when it comes to loot progression, but in their stock and quest rewards. As it stands they are just overpowered vending machines that are one step away from the creative mode, essentially giving the player "free" handouts every few days. They are air drops or regular vending machines on steroids. Remove the human element, and that's all they are really. If you want to avoid traders, play with that mindset. ;)

I'm curious what they'll be like in Alpha 20, although I suspect they'll be as "essential to gameplay" as they are now. Hopefully we won't be getting nail guns and T4 augers for T2 quests though.

Edit reason: spelling error

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)