A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

On 12/24/2020 at 10:14 AM, Guppycur said:

You once told this story about bandits riding up in their gun-mounted jeep harassing player bases... I know that was an idea in your head, but how close to reality is that?

Bandits in a fight, I'd like to see that, especially if they were the nerdy types. What are they gonna do, throw their A levels at us?

1 hour ago, SheeleMara said:

A potential stand-in for the time being would be a fetch quest that you turn in to a different trader. 

Interesting... Madmole did talk about other factions in the game. So maybe you could do that for a bigger payoff. But watch out when you betray another faction. They may come looking for you. 

13 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Nevermind the posts above, this is a bug I'm experiencing when I upgraded my 19.2 world to 19.3 stable. Also, every animal I'm harvesting is giving me green robotic turret ammo. So I'll be going back to my previous 19.2 save.

Well, that's certainly something lol! Sure you don't have any mods left in there?

Just now, Jugginator said:

Well, that's certainly something lol! Sure you don't have any mods left in there?

I reverted back to 19.2 and everything is back to normal. But I was finding 4x4 trucks, vehicle parts, books, ammo, food, etc. in all kinds of loot containers, tinted green, all called "ball". XD Now that everything is back to normal I've dumped them all. A green AK called "ball" that I found turned into a stack of wood, for example. But everything else is good. What a weird bug though. LOL

Absolute garbage heap of an update.

If the clothing system revamp is due to an effert to reduce clutter theres better ways to do it.  You could get rid of the "parts" system ie. Gun parts, bow parts ect. since T6 items makes crafting those items useless and those "parts" just become junk.  Instead you could have guns, bows, armour items require harvestable resources like iron, steel, wood and so on.

If this decision is just to shake things up or  TFP feel they have a better way to handle armour then they have lost their minds and will have succeded in killing the game in one update.  Do they think ppl are going to enjoy filling up their inventory with multiple armour sets just to be able to play the game. Spending more time traveling back and forth, having to drop items off cause players will only ever have 2 slots of space open.

17 hours ago, sillls said:

Do you plan to make this game VR compatible? 

They answered this on dev streams before, and the answer is basically "It would be a lot of work, require completely rethinking essentially every aspect of the game, and would probably be minimal reward for the work. So maybe"

I would love a VR version, but I don't see it being very high priority or honestly even being all that playable in VR. The Forest VR is cool but makes me so motion sick I can't really test it, and VR doesn't really fit this type of game that well. Just so many mechanics and controls and UI elements would have to be totally reworked to work

15 minutes ago, Xtrakicking said:

I agree that I don't like how the streamlining of the clothing system sounds like, but saying it the way you're saying it will get you nowhere, bud.

They may have one point. Sounds a bit modded territory here, but perhaps a "vanity" section for outfits would be nice, to go alongside your currently equipped outfit.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Can we get a petting zoo POI in the game? :)

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)

1 hour ago, MechanicalLens said:

They may have one point. Sounds a bit modded territory here, but perhaps a "vanity" section for outfits would be nice, to go alongside your currently equipped outfit.

But at that point, isn't this what we have already? Just without the weather resistance or pocket mod features.

I didn't curse or yell, I simply voiced my opinion.

I'm not going to sugar coat it just to spare the devs feelings, their big boys and girls they can handle negative feed back. 

You may think I was being "mean" but I say i was being passionate, passionate about a game I and many other love and enjoy.  Being overly polite or massaging the devs isn't going to get them to see that the players are very much against the new armor system which is the #1 disliked change this patch by far.

The whole point of this thread is to leave feed back for the dev team including negative feedback not just positive.  If you think i was being "mean" or down voting me cause I wasn't polite enough about it, I say does a diservice to the devs, especially since I even left a suggestion of how they could do a bit of uncluttering if that was the reason for this change.  If it was to simply just streamline the armor system then they need to rethink how to go about it before they drive off alot of the player base since this system will cause players to spend more time changing clothes than actually playing the game. 

Why would i want to keep playing if now it takes me multiple days just to complete what once was a single days tasks cause now i spend all my time swapping cloths and making numerous trips to drop off an overly bloated inventory cause of all the amour sets I'm now forced to carry.

Edited by Pwn3dg4m3r (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, Lemmers said:

But at that point, isn't this what we have already? Just without the weather resistance or pocket mod features.

What I meant was on the right-hand side you would have your currently equipped attire, and to the left of that would be an equal amount of slots that you could place an equivalent type of outfit respectively; you would gain no buffs from outfits in these slots, maybe not even the vanity, it would just be extra storage space for outfits. That way it would be a little less of a hassle (in terms of inventory space) if you wanted to switch between outfits.

5 minutes ago, Pwn3dg4m3r said:

I didn't curse or yell, I simply voiced my opinion.

I'm not going to sugar coat it just to spare the devs feelings, their big boys and girls they can handle negative feed back. 

You may think I was being "mean" but I say i was being passionate, passionate about a game I and many other love and enjoy.  Being overly polite or massaging the devs isn't going to get them to see that the players are very much against the new armor system which is the #1 disliked change this patch by far.

The whole point of this thread is to leave feed back for the dev team including negative feedback not just positive.  If you think i was being "mean" or down voting me cause I wasn't polite enough about it, I say does a diservice to the devs, especially since I even left a suggestion of how they could do a bit of uncluttering if that was the reason for this change.  If it was to simply just streamline the armor system then they need to rethink how to go about it before they drive off alot of the player base since this system will cause players to spend more time changing clothes than actually playing the game. 

Why would i want to keep playing if now it takes me multiple days just to complete what once was a single days tasks cause now i spend all my time swapping cloths and making numerous trips to drop over an overly bloated inventory from all the amour sets i now have to carry.

Perhaps instead of going into the whole "negative feedback" you could try to be constructive? Not everything is so black and white. In a civil manner you should illustrate the "issue" that you have with the current alpha, inform the reader why you are not a fan of said system, and offer a solution or a possible alternative.

Also, handy tip, don't write text walls like the one above. The devs never read those; they simply don't have the time. Try to limit it to a bulky paragraph at the most. (i.e. about half the size of the one you produced.)

I feel like you didn't even read my first post, everything you said i didn't do, I did.

Not being constructive or leaving a alternate solution?  I left a suggetion of an alternate way to go about uncluttering.

State my issue?  Felt like that was was evident, even since I did state multiple time that the issue is the new armor system and did inform the reader that it was cause of consent armor swapping that would waste the players time.

Also I don't think you know what the term "wall of text" is.  Its not a post that just has alot of typing, its a post that doesn't have breaks or indentions or both and is just a long seamless stream of writing.

2 hours ago, Pwn3dg4m3r said:

I feel like you didn't even read my first post, everything you said i didn't do, I did.

Not being constructive or leaving a alternate solution?  I left a suggetion of an alternate way to go about uncluttering.

State my issue?  Felt like that was was evident, even since I did state multiple time that the issue is the new armor system and did inform the reader that it was cause of consent armor swapping that would waste the players time.

Also I don't think you know what the term "wall of text" is.  Its not a post that just has alot of typing, its a post that doesn't have breaks or indentions or both and is just a long seamless stream of writing.

I agree with you, your post was not agressive nor unconstructive.

What Xtra may have meant is the overstatement in it: When you declare they "killed the game" or start your argument with "I am forced to ..." you already lost the argument when all you might get or loose in the game are a few inessential bonusses. Now whether they are inessential or absolutely neccessary for survival has to be seen, that is a matter of balance and will have to be found out by actually playing A20.

Are you forced to find any of the books in the game? Like the one that lets you walk over mines? It's a great book and I love finding it. But is it essential?

On the other hand: Would a farmer suit that gives you a bonus to farming for example be essential? Well, at a certain early time in a game it would be enough for me to switch to it. So absolutely yes, the danger is there and it makes sense to warn them of potential missteps or problems in their plan. But they probably will not listen if someone calls it a failure without even having seen and played it.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

18 minutes ago, meganoth said:

I agree with you, your post was not agressive nor unconstructive.

What Xtra may have meant is the overstatement in it: When you start your arguement with "I am forced to ..." you already lost the argument when all you might get or loose in the game are a few inessential bonusses. Now whether they are inessential or absolutely neccessary for survival has to be seen, that is a matter of balance and will have to be found out by actually playing A20.

Are you forced to find any of the books in the game? Like the one that lets you walk over mines? It's a great book and I love finding it. But is it essential?

On the other hand: Would a farmer suit that gives you a bonus to farming for example be essential? Well, at a certain early time in a game it would be enough for me to switch to it. So absolutely yes, the danger is there and it makes sense to warn them of potential missteps or problems in their plan. But they probably will not listen if someone calls it a failure without even having seen and played it.

I never said anything about gaining or losing bonuses, also saying I'm being forced to do something does not automaticly invalidate my arguement especially when its true, let me explain.

I'm the gather/builder in our little group my daily routine is; harvest the crops, chop wood, then mine ore and skin any wild life I come across and also loot some poi's here and there.

Now with the new armor system I'm going to have to carry at least 5 sets of armor (4 pieces per set =20pieces in total,thats alot of inventory space),with me just to do what I'm already doing without it.  One set for farming, one for chopping wood, one for mining, then 2 for climate so i dont over heat or freeze.  (Also maybe skinning can't remember if that was a ser aswell.)

With all that space taken up I now won't be able to haul as much as I use to which means more trips back and forth so it takes much longer now to get anything done.

You could say that I should use my vehicle storage, to that i say I already do and if you've played 7DTD, which we all have, you know that even using vehicle storage, inventory fills up very fast already, now we have to sacrifice more precious storage space caring around armor that allows us to do what we are already capable of doing now without it.

1 hour ago, Pwn3dg4m3r said:

I never said anything about gaining or losing bonuses, also saying I'm being forced to do something does not automaticly invalidate my arguement especially when its true, let me explain.

I'm the gather/builder in our little group my daily routine is; harvest the crops, chop wood, then mine ore and skin any wild life I come across and also loot some poi's here and there.

Now with the new armor system I'm going to have to carry at least 5 sets of armor (4 pieces per set =20pieces in total,thats alot of inventory space),with me just to do what I'm already doing without it.  One set for farming, one for chopping wood, one for mining, then 2 for climate so i dont over heat or freeze.  (Also maybe skinning can't remember if that was a ser aswell.)

With all that space taken up I now won't be able to haul as much as I use to which means more trips back and forth so it takes much longer now to get anything done.

You could say that I should use my vehicle storage, to that i say I already do and if you've played 7DTD, which we all have, you know that even using vehicle storage, inventory fills up very fast already, now we have to sacrifice more precious storage space caring around armor that allows us to do what we are already capable of doing now without it.

That is only true if  you absolutely cannot stomach playing the game without all the bonuses you can possibly have at any given moment. If you refuse to chop a single tree without changing into some outfit that gives you a bonus for doing that and then refuse to harvest a single plant without changing into some outfit that gives you a bonus for doing that, then yes, there are going to be a lot of clothes changing and room taken up in your inventory for alternate outfits. One way to look at it is that you MUST change outfits before doing any different activity that isn't covered by the outfit you are wearing. Another way to look at it is that you are stronger in some areas and weaker in others and you just play the game with what you have and don't worry so much about whether you could have mined 5% more ore than you did if only you had changed outfits.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

19 minutes ago, Pwn3dg4m3r said:

What you didn't explain is why you are FORCED to carry those sets and switch between them.

Can someone only chop wood in the woodchopper outfit? Surely not. The outfits were described by TFP as having a few bonusses, nothing more. Are those bonusses essential or important ? We will have to find out.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)