Jump to content

Developer Diary Discussions


Recommended Posts

In Navezgane most of the hunting is in the North

 

I started a new game less than a week ago Alpha-19.2  When I was exploring I found plenty of chickens and rabbits but hardly any large game. That was until I headed north in the snow biome.  Suddenly I was running into them all the time. Wolves, Lions and Bears Oh My! 

I found so many of them that I started passing them by rather than hunt them. Yep you can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting more animals. Yes there were plenty of dead cats to.  Well not at first but I helped them get that way. Your welcome! ☺️

Mountain lions were the most common animal I ran into there by far and everywhere. They are also built like a tank. I could empty a whole clip of my pistol and they will still be attacking me. 

They were also by far the worst enemy on the map. They kept attacking those frozen zombies and they would win every single time. While I don't mind them taking out he competition, they seem to be OP. I found maybe two or three deer since my start. 

 

I would suggest the following. More large animals all over the map.

Less crazy amounts of health for them. Mountain lions, Dire wolves and Bears. 

More dear on the map. 

I would also love it if we could use a torch to drive off wolves. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/19/2020 at 2:18 AM, jdifran said:

I think any loot item that has no use in any recipe and exists only to be scrapped should be removed and the scrap brass, lead, etc., should be found instead.

 

Yes...but...

 

Radiators, candlesticks, doorknobs and taps when fed into a forge directly give MORE brass than their scrapped equivalent. Whilst I am one for optimising my inventory and bag space when playing brass is such a important resource to NOT remove these items from the game or reduce them all to 'scrap'.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Guppycur said:

Fair enough, but I'd like to state the obvious... console gamers have MUCH lower expectations than PC gamers, as they are an inferior species. 😃

What would be your claim as a valid supreme gamer specimen then .... would you state that you are a mantis shrimp , a lion or a homo sapiens as opposed to console players?  Does being a seasoned father also count as a rank ? Would an octopus console player have an edge in this case ? Too many variables.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Blake_ said:

What would be your claim as a valid supreme gamer specimen then .... would you state that you are a mantis shrimp , a lion or a homo sapiens as opposed to console players?  Does being a seasoned father also count as a rank ? Would an octopus console player have an edge in this case ? Too many variables.

The real problem is that HE's trying to steal your title! :heh:

  • Afraid 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LilMissNorti said:

 

Radiators, candlesticks, doorknobs and taps when fed into a forge directly give MORE brass than their scrapped equivalent. Whilst I am one for optimising my inventory and bag space when playing brass is such a important resource to NOT remove these items from the game or reduce them all to 'scrap'.

 

I mean, they can just . . y'know, increase the amount of brass found to compensate?

 

I agree that brass items are just clutter that needs to be optimized. It takes way too long to scrap and when your bag is full, you have to just leave it behind. It's gotten so bad that literally the meta tactic is to just smelt dukes for brass instead and ignore all brass items in loot unless you have enough space to haul them around. I'll usually carry a stack of radiators back, or a stack of doorknobs, but they are one of the first things to go when storage space gets tight.

 

Especially since crafting bullets to begin with is really inefficient compared to just buying them or getting them from quest rewards / loot. Crafting and mining in A19 are fairly pointless as you will spend longer gathering the resources than it would take to just go find / buy more. Just use a melee weapon on isolated zombies and stop spraying and praying with an m60 and you'll have entire storage boxes full of stacks of bullets within days.

 

I've always been a HEAVY mining and crafting focused character, but after hundreds of hours in A19 alone, I've basically completely stopped mining for anything. Between stamina woes pre-augur and lack of demand, I basically only mine for shale once per playthrough to get a lifetime supply of gas, and mine for iron once every week or two in game (if even that often) to get iron for my junk turrets and don't bother mining for anything else

Edited by Khalagar (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, LilMissNorti said:

 

Yes...but...

 

Radiators, candlesticks, doorknobs and taps when fed into a forge directly give MORE brass than their scrapped equivalent. Whilst I am one for optimising my inventory and bag space when playing brass is such a important resource to NOT remove these items from the game or reduce them all to 'scrap'.

 

My suggestion is that "brass junk" covers all those miscellaneous items and could be smelted directly like they can, or scrapped at a loss to "raw" brass.  If a radiator is worth 100 brass, then scrapping a car or AC would give you 100 "brass junk".  If its stack size is set smaller than for raw brass, we still have the inventory management issue, but it's probably not as much of a nuisance because we won't need separate slots for radiators, doorknobs, candlesticks, etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Khalagar said:

 

I mean, they can just . . y'know, increase the amount of brass found to compensate?

 

I agree that brass items are just clutter that needs to be optimized. It takes way too long to scrap and when your bag is full, you have to just leave it behind. It's gotten so bad that literally the meta tactic is to just smelt dukes for brass instead and ignore all brass items in loot unless you have enough space to haul them around. I'll usually carry a stack of radiators back, or a stack of doorknobs, but they are one of the first things to go when storage space gets tight.

 

Especially since crafting bullets to begin with is really inefficient compared to just buying them or getting them from quest rewards / loot. Crafting and mining in A19 are fairly pointless as you will spend longer gathering the resources than it would take to just go find / buy more. Just use a melee weapon on isolated zombies and stop spraying and praying with an m60 and you'll have entire storage boxes full of stacks of bullets within days.

 

I've always been a HEAVY mining and crafting focused character, but after hundreds of hours in A19 alone, I've basically completely stopped mining for anything. Between stamina woes pre-augur and lack of demand, I basically only mine for shale once per playthrough to get a lifetime supply of gas, and mine for iron once every week or two in game (if even that often) to get iron for my junk turrets and don't bother mining for anything else

 

Traders generosity is at the center of almost every problem we talk about these days. Will you throw away brass once you don't get 120 bullets from a single quest reward or by buying a big stack from the trader?

 

Trader rebalance is in the works, it probably makes sense to first wait for what it brings, then look at other measures again.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can confirm that the pipe weapons are great fun to find and use. They are still WIP but even now their variety is exactly what the primitive era needs and they really have breathed new life into the early game. I don't think they will change the minds of those who are wanting the more powerful weaponry sooner but for those who enjoy the slower progression and finding primitive stuff of slowly building quality until the real weapons start appearing, they really make the game more engaging. I find myself excited to get ammo now and am using it up. These guns are pretty junky but they are fun. If you are the type who feels that using up ammo on poor weaponry is a waste then you'll probably have a hard time with these guns and may find yourself ignoring them in order to horde ammo for later when you can find good guns. But if you don't mind using whatever you've got in the present and letting tomorrow take care of itself, then they are great!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Roland said:

I can confirm that the pipe weapons are great fun to find and use. They are still WIP but even now their variety is exactly what the primitive era needs and they really have breathed new life into the early game. I don't think they will change the minds of those who are wanting the more powerful weaponry sooner but for those who enjoy the slower progression and finding primitive stuff of slowly building quality until the real weapons start appearing, they really make the game more engaging. I find myself excited to get ammo now and am using it up. These guns are pretty junky but they are fun. If you are the type who feels that using up ammo on poor weaponry is a waste then you'll probably have a hard time with these guns and may find yourself ignoring them in order to horde ammo for later when you can find good guns. But if you don't mind using whatever you've got in the present and letting tomorrow take care of itself, then they are great!

but will bows still be useful?
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...