A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

14 minutes ago, bachgaman said:

In fact, any difficulty becomes very easy sooner or later. The lower the difficulty, the faster it happens. This is a difficulty design problem. My mega graph about this:

Hide contents

WZRHUH4zUvw.jpg.dcdd53d1786c1da4c42c54aec8953508.jpg

here comes the graph, we have evolved from long walls of text to pictures, pie charts and power point presentations. when do we start doing group zoom debates?

3 minutes ago, POCKET951 said:

here comes the graph, we have evolved from long walls of text to pictures, pie charts and power point presentations. when do we start doing group zoom debates?

It is from another topic, here it is so that you can enjoy the other two graphics that I presented there😂

12 hours ago, bachgaman said:

Why would I invest in a perk that the game doesn't need? I never need to hide, under any circumstances. Again, I don’t want to play stealth for the sake of playing stealth

When I start the game I usually decide which specialization I want to take. Because the game gives me enough options and drops enough weapons I don't need to depend on which good weapon drops in the first container. I can specialize even before starting the game and won't really be hurt by this decision. If I decide to use the machine gun, I do not only decide to use machine gun, but also decide to have a high ammo usage and being a relatively bad miner, stealther and wrencher. The game is balanced on attributes and if I look at the attributes as a whole fortitude is not the unanimous winner anymore, I get the best gun but weak utility perks.

If I postpone deciding what to specialize into then a lot of factors will come into play as I distribute my perk points into various must-have perks and wait for the circumstances to give me an idea where I want to put my perk points. For example such a point could be me sitting in the base and night starts and I don't feel safe enough to go out at night. As a stealther I can use the night for quests and be relatively safe

Again, the game is (somewhat) balanced on attribute level. When I choose agility and have invested a few points there then an AK47 I find might still make sense as an "emergency" weapon, but I get much more mileage out of using the agility weapons than the unbuffed AK (since the unbuffed AKs ammo usage will be too much even for the current trader imbalance)

In multiplayer specialization to different attributes is a must. Even with the current trader imbalance not more than 2 players can use the same gun and be happy with that arrangement (I speak theoretically, never tried this in an actual game).

When I say balanced on attribute level this is not quite true. They are balanced only to be in the same ballpark, a  rough equivalence. Especially STR is supposed to be THE attribute for beginners and is easier to play than other attributes, INT and Agility are only easy to play for experienced players. Fortitude presently is easier to play as well as there is too much ammo in the game (we could say I anticipate future changes and play as if ammo were scarce).

There was nothing like that in that message. Everything was written as it is. Why are you all so fond of taking offense at the truth? Anyway, I didn't try to insult her

Yeah right, multiple people tell you you are unpoilte, but we can't just handle the truth. I think part of it might be the language barrier here, russian players often come off as impoilite in english language discussions. May I suggest "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" and try not to give adjectives to people you argument with.

Like the "You are sick?" you used, this is, even with the "?" at the end, a very agressive reply and what is usually called an ad hominem attack. Concentrate on the arguments not on the discussion opponent. Don't tell your opponent what he is. For example, if someone makes a statement that you don't understand or think is totally wrong on all levels, don't ask him whether he is mad or sick or tell him he is mad (hint: He very likely is not), only ask what that means or tell him where his error is.

If think about it, I would really say that it have to be easy for most beginners. Except for people who are new to computer games generally. I am not passing it off as truth. I think so.

The problem with such low difficulty is that you will have little sense of progress. At the start of the game, you can kill a zombie with literally torch by 3 hits like this, check spoilers in linked post:

In fact, any difficulty becomes very easy sooner or later. The lower the difficulty, the faster it happens. This is a difficulty design problem. My mega graph about this:

Reveal hidden contents

WZRHUH4zUvw.jpg.dcdd53d1786c1da4c42c54aec8953508.jpg

At least at the moment AFAIK the developers want the game to get easy in the end to give the player a feeling of having "mastered" the game. It might change somewhat when bandits and a final goal for the game gets added, but for now winning the game means you arrive at a state where you think you have the situation under control

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

14 hours ago, meganoth said:

Maybe "condescending", "dismissive" rings a bell ?

Why are you all so fond of taking offense at the truth? 

That right there is both condescending and dismissive. Right in the answer to you never being condescending and dismissive... If it's truly unintentional then perhaps you need to learn to change your tone in text.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Crater Creator changed the title to A20 Developer Diary Discussions