A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

13 hours ago, retrogamingdev said:

Ha, ok - thanks for the info! I guess I misunderstood what they meant. Glad they can't crawl through 1 square block holes just yet, that would suck. 

Why would that suck. That be awesome and add  more flavour to the game.

1 minute ago, iDoser said:

So,i have just one question: Why devs keep ignoring an entire player base that asking for a normal hands/weapon (viewmodel) field of view, like every other games using? I re-installing 7dtd again and again with every updates to check if finally we have an option to increase the horrible fov, yet nothing, again. You really can't add such feature? Or you just don't want to? 

This has been discussed at length and has its very own thread. And if you read the thread the answers lay within. I will even point you to the general discussion thread I think it is in there.  

1 hour ago, playlessNamer said:

loooong time ago any dev announced a stamp system for biomes but i havnt hearded anything about it anymore. He say this system can spawn prebuild things into any biomes like a nice looking little stonearch in the desert or lakes in the forest. Technically a cosmetic poi spawning system into wilderness.

I think there was a screenshot of a stonearch in the desert too.

Is this still on the plan? This sounds to awesome to have little sweet designed poi everywhere in the wilderness.

I imagine a oasis in the desert, ancient stonecircles in the forest, gigantic prebuild canyon fit into landscape and also very small destroyed wood cabins in the outback, ..

I think this was years ago talked about and i cant find it anymore. You know what i talk about?

they've  talked alittle bit about the stamp feature for RWG in alpha 20.  it will come with a stamp system for world generation. I am no expert on it but  the Dev Stream next Wednesday with the level and design team will probably be able to shed alot more light on RWG in A20 and properly answer your question

46 minutes ago, onark said:

Hi, I really hope devs read my personal opinion, I love this game since years ago but I'm tired of starting a new game over and over again, I want to play in a creative game for creating perdurable buildings and things such as this, wasting multiple hours for something, not for losing everything each x months. Just leave it as it is now and start to develope a new game, like 7D2D2 if you want, that way you can do every new thing you want but without the pressure of fandom.

You can continue your game. 

Simply copy your game folder located in steam/steamapps/common and rename it say 7 days to die - special and regardless if the steam folder updates you will always have that copied game folder to continue your game play for as long as you wish or even til tfp release their new game   

1 hour ago, onark said:

Hi, I really hope devs read my personal opinion, I love this game since years ago but I'm tired of starting a new game over and over again, I want to play in a creative game for creating perdurable buildings and things such as this, wasting multiple hours for something, not for losing everything each x months. Just leave it as it is now and start to develope a new game, like 7D2D2 if you want, that way you can do every new thing you want but without the pressure of fandom.

As stallionsden said, you can just copy the games files to somewhere and play that version indefinitely, you just need to start steam in the background and then start the copy manually (by executing 7Dlauncher.exe in that game directory for example).

Also you can go back to many older versions of the game through steam->Manage->Properties->Betas. If you want to play your old savegame of alpha19 forever, just select alpha19.5 from that list and you can do so.

Even after taking a look at alpha20 you can download alpha19.5 again and continue your old game.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

This game is too addicting, honestly! I just finished my 90 hour playthrough last night and after watching some 7D2D content on YouTube I'm tempted to fire up another playthrough. I was going to wait until A20 EXP and play other games in the meantime, but here we are again. (It's a toss up between A15, A16, or A19 with random hordes.) Yep, I definitely see myself sinking thousands of hours into A20. Haha

3 hours ago, iDoser said:

So,i have just one question: Why devs keep ignoring an entire player base that asking for a normal hands/weapon (viewmodel) field of view, like every other games using? I re-installing 7dtd again and again with every updates to check if finally we have an option to increase the horrible fov, yet nothing, again. You really can't add such feature? Or you just don't want to? 

The devs are not ignoring those who want FOV increased. They fully considered the request and did add a slider to the video options menu to allow you to increase it beyond the default value. The current cap is in place for two reasons that they have stated: 1) If they increase it more then the occlusion feature of the game that helps performance would become visible on the periphery of the screen. You would see trees and other world features popping in and out of existing as you turned. This is a technical limitation that has a lot to do with the voxel nature of the world compared to the static nature of the world of non-voxel games where players can turn the FOV up so far they can see behind them at the same time as in front of them. 2) They are opposed to ultra wide FOV that some users like to employ because it makes the game look fisheyed and bad and is often abused in competitive play.

So, its kind of a combination of can't and don't want to. I suggest turning the slider up as far as it can go and then adjust your viewing distance with the screen.

aaaqaa.thumb.jpg.9056aba8011a0d81ac09e5048c76ebe7.jpg

Decent improvements to the foliage, shaders, and lighting. No longer that strange over brightness casts onto the grass as someone mentioned on the forum before. I hope that someday the cotton bush model and so on gets some refresh/update. Please keep working on the environment. Artists may think of adding some sort of sun-flare/blinding beam of light while staring/aiming directly into the sun - within limits of common sense ofc. More objects guys like medium foliage or anything that artists may think of. A20 is going to be a real step forward visually not to mention dozens of new POI, props, City Tiles and so on.

I`m waiting for the next stream.

On 9/10/2021 at 3:55 PM, unholyjoe said:

if you have the skills you will start at wood and upgrade to each stage when you have all the resources to do so, if you have the resource and skill to out right build the steel block it takes a little time and will still have the hp of steel block which is 10,000. upgrading from wood to steel still makes it 10,000. down grading/destroying just keeps going until its gone (no more down grading to lower tier).

efficiency depends on your knowledge (perks/schematics learned) and amount of resources you have.

so again. wood block 500hp steel block 10,000hp.

upgrade path

frame shape=100 hp - wood=500 - cobblestone=1500 - concrete=5000 - steel=10000

okay. but what about EXP number? 😅  Honestly upgrading is the best exp grinder. after add steel part's mining is not good "job" as buliding ( because you get a lot of walls pikes etc)

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)

30 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

okay. but what about EXP number? 😅  Honestly upgrading is the best exp grinder. after add steel part's mining is not good "job" as buliding ( because you get a lot of walls pikes etc)

in Alpha 19, going from frame wood to steel is 1056 EXP per block. I am wondering the same thing about EXP for the new building material progression system

7 hours ago, onark said:

You do realize that you bought the game as Early Access and that changes were expected?  If you don’t want things to change, I would recommend not purchasing an EA game in the future, and just wait for the final games to be released.

1 hour ago, samljer said:

@faatal You guys keep mentioning all new HD zombies; none of them are left to do, and showed them off.

But I dont think I have seen the zombies "demolisher" or "feral wight", and a few others.

Also, what about "Grace" ???

I believe you when they say they are done 😛 Just wondering if we can get a peek.

Here is Feral says helloo)ONWjJmC-4JU.jpg?size=1919x1079&quality=96&sign=b9c4ddcae5c9d65c734e4ce9b8cb3adb&type=album

20 minutes ago, playlessNamer said:

aaand the crowd is outa controool! So by the way i hear this just for the first time, can you spotlight this in a vid pls?

And while you are working on shape UI: Its absolute horrible to hold down a button to open a menu! Its a cramp to change blockshapes actually and you cant leave the shapemenu wit Esc. Doesnt feel fluid. There must be a better solution.

You mean like the live stream they did on Wednesday on Twitch and got published to YoutTube this Saturday?

1 hour ago, DarlingCows said:

Hey TFP will the upcoming Wednesday feature the RND world gen developers? I would like to try to ask them questions. If not making a schedule of who’s coming on Wednesdays would be awesome. 

They said it's gonna be the level designers. That means POIs, and with 145 new POIs so far there's a LOT of content they could be showing us!

9 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Also, another small suggestion/request, could the stone sledgehammer and the bone knife (maybe the stone shovel while we're at it) be moved to the basic crafting menu alongside the wooden club, primitive bow, and stone spear? It feels odd that the former three are a little more tucked away.

Would that also expand to the T0 weapons coming in Alpha20?

4 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Depends if TFP considers them "primitive enough" or not. *shrugs* I just find it odd that the stone spear was added to the basic crafting menu while the stone sledge (perhaps the bone knife as well) was not.

That’s a good point.  When I made my comment, I was thinking more of the T0 stun baton which will fall in the same category as the stone weapons for the other attribute trees, then I just included thr T0 firearms

10 hours ago, SrslyGTFO said:

So, the new spider zombie. Joel let it slip in the stream that it climbs. Is this true, or was he mistakenly thinking of the old A15 mechanic? Since Joel is NEVER wrong, it climbs, right?? :D

hope so. cuz right now i call him the grasshopper zombie. 

Also hope the spider zombie shoots webs... (don't ask wear from)

3 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

That’s a good point.  When I made my comment, I was thinking more of the T0 stun baton which will fall in the same category as the stone weapons for the other attribute trees, then I just included thr T0 firearms

i wounder if we are getting a tier 3 baton? 

9 minutes ago, Roland said:

What?!? That’s a thing?!?!

The most anticipated feature of a20 will be the marked stones/nests for the tutorial quest. Seriously, doesn't matter if you are a noob or if you have been 16 years in the Army, sometimes they just don't show up until you complete the quest. I swear that must be scripted to make you punch rocks or chase a chicken, lol.

2 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

The most anticipated feature of a20 will be the marked stones/nests for the tutorial quest. Seriously, doesn't matter if you are a noob or if you have been 16 years in the Army, sometimes they just don't show up until you complete the quest. I swear that must be scripted to make you punch rocks or chase a chicken, lol.

"If the player's forum username is called "Blake_", delete all bird nests from initial spawn radius in 7D2D worlds" - XML files

5 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

@Roland (or someone else who is affiliated with TFP in some, way, shape, or form, or a member of TFP staff themselves), The amount of comments and subreddit threads I've seen where people are unaware of the open/closed book symbols for read/unread schematics is truly astonishing, and if you ask me, honestly not surprising. I can guarantee you that if hundreds of content creators each made a "10 things you didn't know about 7D2D" video and this small detail was their #1 pick, their video would be flooded with individuals who would be shocked to learn that this is a feature; I've seen it happen. I genuinely believe it's not a case of people being idiots or unobservant, as some might claim - this is genuinely just such a small detail that can easily be overlooked. I would suggest that an improved visual indicator for if you've read/not read a book/schematic to be implemented. Either they should be colorized accordingly (closed book = green, read book = red), or these icons should be replaced with a good old fashioned checkmark and cross. :)

Honestly this same problem with schematic : i rly don't know if i read this or not. Maybe blocked option to read this same book/schematic twice could be better solution: red/green color will "destroy" icons - now books looks like real books 

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)