A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

3 hours ago, Gamida said:

I thought it was mentioned that blocks would no longer downgrade to next block but would be destroyed but would have a bit more HP.

I am aware that blocks would no longer downgrade.

But what happens in 19.4 is you have a steel block (7,000 hp) and it downgrades to reinforced concrete (5,000 hp) and then it gets destroyed and poofs.
so you have to do 12000 dmg to get rid of a steel block

Unholy joe said: 

upgrade path

frame shape=100 hp - wood=500 - cobblestone=1500 - concrete=5000 - steel=10000

so in Alpha 20 Steel only has 10,000 hp before it poofs, so  are steel blocks being nerfed?

Edited by POCKET951
spelling (see edit history)

18 minutes ago, POCKET951 said:

I am aware that blocks would no longer downgrade.

But what happens in 19.4 is you have a steel block (7,000 hp) and it downgrades to reinforced concrete (5,000 hp) and then it gets destroyed and poofs.
so you have to do 12000 dmg to get rid of a steel block

Unholy joe said: 

upgrade path

frame shape=100 hp - wood=500 - cobblestone=1500 - concrete=5000 - steel=10000

so in Alpha 20 Steel only has 10,000 hp before it poofs, so  are steel blocks being nerfed?

Rebalanced.

19 hours ago, Survager said:

all traders received new models. Will in Alpha 20 trader Jen change too?

Why would anyone ever want to change Jen!?? I mean, maybe she should get that zombie bite on the side of her head patched up, but other than that, she's doing SWELL in the post-apocalypse.

-Arch Necromancer Morloc

1 hour ago, dcsobral said:

Rebalanced.

well, that is a bit disappointing , but if you think about it , that seems reasonable. it has 3k more hp than old steel and probably requires the same amount of material to go from 1-10K in alpha 20 vs 1hp to 7k in alpha 19.

Assuming you  are at steel it seems like a decent compromise as long as you have steel and a nail gun on you to repair your base during horde night because 10K blocks are still chunky.

I am also glad we don't have to do concrete to reinforced concrete anymore though. that stuff was a pain to build with because it would take FOREVER to dry. and the dry time for each block varied. It was tedious and that is a really nice QOL feature

Another question. Will EXP from wood to steel be similar in Alpha 20?

Currently in alpha 19 on default settings (100% exp) you get 1056 EXP for going from wood frames to steel, will going from frame shape to steel in alpha 20 yield identical or similar exp?

frame shape> Wood(+48>Reinforced Wood(+48 exp>Cobblestone(+120 exp)>Concrete(=+240 exp)> Reinforced concrete(+240 exp)>steel(+360 exp)

Frame shape> Wood (+?? exp)>Cobblestone(+??? exp)> Concrete+??? exp> Steel (+??? exp)

Also, in the alpha 19 system, most of the EXP was loaded in the middle, being able to double dip on concrete

Will the EXP distribution in alpha 20 for going from frames>steel be more evenly distributed or will it be end loaded( I.e most exp at steel)?

building concrete stuff was a very effective way to farm exp and level in previous alphas.

Edited by POCKET951
another quesiton (see edit history)

12 hours ago, Blake_ said:

Next time a guy approaches me telling that he's a Pimp and he'll give me a discount I'll just say yes, thank you.

Hey buddy....over here....

One of the new shapes is a mine deactivator. If you have it in your tool belt you can pick up mines. Be sure to try it out when A20 drops!!

47 minutes ago, POCKET951 said:

Another question.. are there any plans for a tractor or a weed whacker or some kind of item/tool for quickly removing grass? a lawn mower maybe? maybe even like a scythe for ploughing fields?

also are we ever going to get any tools that allow us to harvest farm plots faster?

they said yes, heres some pics

Spoiler

7 Days To Die Map Generator - Maps Catalog Online7 Days To Die: How To Gather Wood And Small StonesTalk:7 Days To Die - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies, TV  and Video Games

27 minutes ago, POCKET951 said:

really? I get the sense you are memeing on me

Naw...

We only meme on Snowdog since pretty much any picture can be suggestive.

35 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

they said yes, heres some pics

Reveal hidden contents

7 Days To Die Map Generator - Maps Catalog Online7 Days To Die: How To Gather Wood And Small StonesTalk:7 Days To Die - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies, TV  and Video Games

I don't remember them saying yes. I remember Rick reading a question from the chat about adding a Scythe out loud and then remarking, "Oh they want something to clear grass fast..." and thats all. He didn't say yes or no or anything in response to it other than that.

1 hour ago, POCKET951 said:

Another question.. are there any plans for a tractor or a weed whacker or some kind of item/tool for quickly removing grass? a lawn mower maybe? maybe even like a scythe for ploughing fields?

also are we ever going to get any tools that allow us to harvest farm plots faster?

Have you tried knives?

7 minutes ago, Roland said:

Zombies cannot crawl through single blocks. They can crouch and duck under low roof ceilings like in the attic or through spaces that are less than two meters but more than 1 meter-- just like the player can.

Select zombies may someday be able to move through 1 meter holes horizontally but the players will always be limited to passing through 1 meter holes vertically. faatal explained that our backpacks full of vehicles and concrete prevent us from crawling through 1-meter holes. However, much like Santa, we can easily pack as much as we want up and down 1-meter holes.

By "select zombies" you mean that a cop might never be able to squeeze his fat behinds across 1 meter openings? That makes sense. It would be fun to watch, though. Bears too.

5 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

By "select zombies" you mean that a cop might never be able to squeeze his fat behinds across 1 meter openings? That makes sense. It would be fun to watch, though. Bears too.

Well...I'm not going to limit @faatal so really "select zombies" means whichever zombies faatal selects. He might choose one or choose them all. Maybe he'll think it just as funny as you to watch a cop or a biker squeeze through. 😁

19 minutes ago, Roland said:

Zombies cannot crawl through single blocks. They can crouch and duck under low roof ceilings like in the attic or through spaces that are less than two meters but more than 1 meter-- just like the player can.

Select zombies may someday be able to move through 1 meter holes horizontally but the players will always be limited to passing through 1 meter holes vertically. faatal explained that our backpacks full of vehicles and concrete prevent us from crawling through 1-meter holes. However, much like Santa, we can easily pack as much as we want up and down 1-meter holes.

Ha, ok - thanks for the info! I guess I misunderstood what they meant. Glad they can't crawl through 1 square block holes just yet, that would suck. 

3 hours ago, Roland said:

Hey buddy....over here....

One of the new shapes is a mine deactivator. If you have it in your tool belt you can pick up mines. Be sure to try it out when A20 drops!!

dang it Roland, you promised you wouldnt reveal the new secret tool. :(

oh and occasionally Jen will drop a hint towards that as well.

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Roland said:

Naw...

We only meme on Snowdog since pretty much any picture can be suggestive.

I don't remember them saying yes. I remember Rick reading a question from the chat about adding a Scythe out loud and then remarking, "Oh they want something to clear grass fast..." and thats all. He didn't say yes or no or anything in response to it other than that.

well, I think alot of people would appreciate a faster method to clearing grass and harvesting farm plots.

8 hours ago, dcsobral said:

Have you tried knives?

I have tried knives..but even as fast as they are clearing fields of grass with 100's of shurbs is tedious and time consuming. It is faster to just lay down frames then pick them up (which also isn't fun) geting rid of grass is just a pain in the ass

Edited by POCKET951 (see edit history)

35 minutes ago, POCKET951 said:
9 hours ago, Roland said:

well, I think alot of people would appreciate a faster method to clearing grass and harvesting farm plots.

no disagreement. I just didn’t want it thought that Rick confirmed something he didn’t. 

1 hour ago, MechanicalLens said:

Will A20 experimental be available for the public when it releases, or will it be a closed experimental that is locked behind a dedicated testing team? Just wondering. :) Also, which business decision would be wiser?

I know in alpha 19 experimental they had a closed content creator preview weekend before releasing experimental to public. They will probably start closed and then open up to public. I actually found a bug in alpha 19 experimental that got fixed. I think having a public experimental version would be incredibly valuable for bug fixing/finding.

So,i have just one question: Why devs keep ignoring an entire player base that asking for a normal hands/weapon (viewmodel) field of view, like every other games using? I re-installing 7dtd again and again with every updates to check if finally we have an option to increase the horrible fov, yet nothing, again. You really can't add such feature? Or you just don't want to?