A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

3 hours ago, Rabbitslovecactus said:

@faatal First person view sounds great for vehicles. But I've got to say, the physics and controls of driving the vehicles is a priority IMO. Right now they feel robotic and stiff, especially the Gyro. Would be nice for the gyro to operate like a helicopter, or similar to the gyro of the Road Warrior movie. Lift off right from where you are, no need to drive forward to lift off. Either way, keep up the great work!! Best game ever!

While similar in appearance, a gyrocopter and helicopter are very different aircraft. Unlike a helicopter a gyro's rotor is not powered. It requires constant forward velocity to provide the relative wind necessary to create lift, much like a fixed wing airplane. You can think of a gyrocopter's top rotor as a spinning wing.

2 minutes ago, Astronomical said:

While similar in appearance, a gyrocopter and helicopter are very different aircraft. Unlike a helicopter a gyro's rotor is not powered. It requires constant forward velocity to provide the relative wind necessary to create lift, much like a fixed wing airplane. You can think of a gyrocopter's top rotor as a spinning wing.

Which is also why you can glide down to the ground safely once gas runs out.

17 minutes ago, dcsobral said:

Helicopter controls are rather more complex. There's a vehicle mod with a helicopter with true helicopter controls (within the limits of vehicle controls in 7d2d), and it is a challenge.

Unless you mean go up and down like a helicopter and forward like a plane?

V-tol could be interesting XD ( this is "helicopter but with jet" if you play in crysis 1 or bo 3 you will know what i mean)

2 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

V-tol could be interesting XD ( this is "helicopter but with jet" if you play in crysis 1 or bo 3 you will know what i mean)

V-tol would be interesting indeed. The vtol used by US Marines (V22 Osprey) has an infamous history of crashing for no apparent reason.  😃 (though, actually, 😢)

I wish the Gyro-copter had Battlefield style flying controls. Those being A/D to rotate yaw, W/S to move Up/Down, mouse left/right to roll, and mouse up/down to control pitch. That would be the ideal controls, with that I could be a stunt pilot.

29 minutes ago, Astronomical said:

Ah, now I understand why it just wouldn't be realistic for it to control like helicopter.

43 minutes ago, dcsobral said:

Helicopter controls are rather more complex. There's a vehicle mod with a helicopter with true helicopter controls (within the limits of vehicle controls in 7d2d), and it is a challenge.

Unless you mean go up and down like a helicopter and forward like a plane?

Keep the controls the way they are, but able to go up and down without forward motion isnt more complex.

33 minutes ago, Astronomical said:

You also cant jump off the 3rd story of a building with duct tape to your boots in the real world either and be perfectly fine, its a game. it only has to be just believable enough.

16 minutes ago, samljer said:

Keep the controls the way they are, but able to go up and down without forward motion isnt more complex.

It's not a helicopter control either. On a helicopter control the "up" force is also used for "forward" and "backward". When you want to move forward you need to tilt the helicopter so the nose points below the horizon and at the same time increase the power to compensate for the loss on the "up" vector. If you can control vertical and horizontal speed independently, it's not a helicopter. That would be like a car where you can move sideways independently of the forward movement -- sure, it would make controlling it much easier, but it wouldn't feel like a car.

Edited by dcsobral (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, jeromeN7 said:

It's time to start thinking of the gyrocopter as more of a slow plane then a helicopter.

Some of us always thought of it that way because we knew what a gyrocopter was and didn't expect a helicopter. If you are starting to come around to the correct way of thinking....Welcome!

4 hours ago, Rabbitslovecactus said:

@faatal First person view sounds great for vehicles. But I've got to say, the physics and controls of driving the vehicles is a priority IMO. Right now they feel robotic and stiff, especially the Gyro. Would be nice for the gyro to operate like a helicopter, or similar to the gyro of the Road Warrior movie. Lift off right from where you are, no need to drive forward to lift off. Either way, keep up the great work!! Best game ever!

The gyro flies like what it is, a gyro. It is not a helicopter and should not fly like one.

23 minutes ago, jeromeN7 said:

I'm not welcoming you for anything, you didn't explain anything to me.

I welcome you anyway. :) Your recent shift towards thinking about the gyrocopter correctly is more important than any thumbs down or unwelcoming you might give me. 

4 hours ago, beerfly said:

Wait, is that a white tint mask added ?  How many other colours are planned ?

I can answer that with a fashion designer's tone:

Exactly as many as there are dyes . That's 9 colours in total:

White, Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Black, Brown, Pink, and Purple. 

A few months ago they say they could add more down the road. Not a promise though.

39 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

A few months ago they say they could add more down the road. Not a promise though.

These are pretty enough, I also remember even a color picker option from the whole color spectrum was sort of talked about, but that is another thing. 

Thanks for the answer ! 

And be ready for the stream tonight guys 🎈

1 hour ago, Blake_ said:

Actually, magenta not purple.

Edited by dcsobral (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

actually!

and how it looks in game is going to be 50 shades of whatever as every monitor and players eyes  will perceive something different.

A20.0_2021-09-08_08-13-23.jpg

I know what it is called. Though, to be honest, I'm just voicing jawoodle's complains. 😂

16 hours ago, SnowDog1942 said:

Do buildings in random gen have to be placed on tiles?  Seems like things will be a loss less random looking once u see the tiles over and over.  

No the poi randomness will be great. 

Don't forget tfp are doing  more tiles as well and I am sure you will get alot of cool ones from the prefabbing community...

ohhhh if I could make a tile.. you wouldn't get near the pois. I would have the tile full with the stripper.. you would forget all about the poi you were meant to Get to..

this tile would be called the snowdog trap😄

Edited by stallionsden (see edit history)

1 hour ago, POCKET951 said:

could you answer these questions  please?

1.Will Steel/concrete blocks have just as much HP as they currently do in Alpha 19? (steel has 7500 HP and breaks down to reinforced concrete( (5000) HP for a total of 12,500 hp
2.Will they also use the same amount of materials to achieve?
3. will they also give roughly the same EXP?

I thought it was mentioned that blocks would no longer downgrade to next block but would be destroyed but would have a bit more HP.