A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

i have a question about alpha 21

is there any plans of getting a way of capturing small animals? (hogs, rabbits), i got htis tought recently that there should be a cage u could place on a floor an din like 4-6 days there was a chance of getting one of those 2 animals, or just a way of domesticating them (a bit like minecraft breeding tbh, give them some kind of plant and they get domesticated aftera  bit), it would be something great for a future farm update.

so i wanted to knowo if theres any plan of domesticating and capturing animals in alpha 21 and future updates

18 minutes ago, BrunoFuturista said:

is there any plans of getting a way of capturing small animals? (hogs, rabbits), i got htis tought recently that there should be a cage u could place on a floor an din like 4-6 days there was a chance of getting one of those 2 animals, or just a way of domesticating them (a bit like minecraft breeding tbh, give them some kind of plant and they get domesticated aftera  bit), it would be something great for a future farm update.

so i wanted to knowo if theres any plan of domesticating and capturing animals in alpha 21 and future updates

Breeding-domestication is unlikely to happen because systematic growing of animal-based resources would unbalance the game (dev's words, not mine). There were talks about a chicken coup that functioned like a forge (insert corn and yield eggs/feathers), but to introduce that to the game nest spawn would have to be extremely nerfed, because feathers are a non-issue (nests respawn and feathers are plentiful even on 25% loot) and there are a lot of alternatives to eggs.

Also, they will politely tell you that this is still the a20 thread, so maybe we could insist on the matter after the a21 thread is opened by the end of this year.

I hope this helped to resolve your question. Hugs.

7 minutes ago, Survager said:

A question about a new type of quest to restore the electricity supply.
Can we expect in 20 Alpha, in high-level locations of this type, the appearance of turrets with infinite ammunition that attack the player, protecting the top-end loot? Or other electrical traps that the player will have to disable in order to get to the top loot? Or is it a surprise?

I can see it now:

Done! I have restored the power! Now all active defenses are online again. Why is that turret turning in my direction? It wouldn't shoot at me, would it? Surely Rekt would have told me about it, wou...

Meanwhile, at Trader Rekt:

<PING>Oh, he actually did it! I didn't expect that. <PING>Annnd it's not going to cost me anything! Ah, nothing like business as usual.

4 minutes ago, dcsobral said:

I can see it now:

Done! I have restored the power! Now all active defenses are online again. Why is that turret turning in my direction? It wouldn't shoot at me, would it? Surely Rekt would have told me about it, wou...

Meanwhile, at Trader Rekt:

<PING>Oh, he actually did it! I didn't expect that. <PING>Annnd it's not going to cost me anything! Ah, nothing like business as usual.

Hmmm ... which alpha version are you playing? 😅😂

8 hours ago, Roland said:

No, latest_experimental will make its return on some future Monday following a weekend of exciting A20 streaming. It will all go down very much like the last few alpha releases and most like A19 with some weekly dev streams where the artists, level designers, and the programmers will show what they have been doing and the owners will do some gameplay footage all leading up to the Streamer Weekend Event with a Monday release to Experimental. Stable will follow 1-2 months after and then the normal cycle of experimental to stable for the decimal versions of A20.

Something like that most likely.

it's sound like : we will get A20 on christmas... well i have flashback from great war. "it will be ended before christmas" they said. but finaly it was a little bit longer - 4 years 😅

5 hours ago, BrunoFuturista said:

No plans for that for this game.

2 hours ago, Matt115 said:

it's sound like : we will get A20 on christmas... well i have flashback from great war. "it will be ended before christmas" they said. but finaly it was a little bit longer - 4 years 😅

I'm guessing 20.1 or maybe 20.2 at Christmas but I could be optimistic and wrong and optimistic.

4 hours ago, Survager said:

A question about a new type of quest to restore the electricity supply.
Can we expect in 20 Alpha, in high-level locations of this type, the appearance of turrets with infinite ammunition that attack the player, protecting the top-end loot? Or other electrical traps that the player will have to disable in order to get to the top loot? Or is it a surprise?

This would be great, add a use to some of those trap perks/books that are useless in single player; or co-op play.

I would love to have to find the power source to disable turrets, or electric fences, blade traps. etc..

It could be a higher tier variation on restore power. called... wait for it.... "Disable power"  LOL 

spacer.png

14 minutes ago, samljer said:

This would be great, add a use to some of those trap perks/books that are useless in single player; or co-op play.

I would love to have to find the power source to disable turrets, or electric fences, blade traps. etc..

It could be a higher tier variation on restore power. called... wait for it.... "Disable power"  LOL 

We have heard nothing about POI turrets capable of targeting players. If there was any such thing, however, then this sort of thing can be done as a mod. This interaction system that shawn described will lead to some very creative POIs from the modding community, I bet.

1 minute ago, dcsobral said:

We have heard nothing about POI turrets capable of targeting players. If there was any such thing, however, then this sort of thing can be done as a mod. This interaction system that shawn described will lead to some very creative POIs from the modding community, I bet.

The possibilities would be endless :D

Imagine it

:stares off in to space, starts drooling:

44 minutes ago, dcsobral said:

Maybe you weren't listening well? )

17 hours ago, Roland said:

True...true...but I can tell you that I have heard Lathan, Rick, and Joel all remark that it is time for dev streams to start up again. They are ready to start showing stuff so this time soon really does mean soon.

That is you fueling the train with naivety-oil. All of those names are extremely glass-half-full kind of gentlemen, and two and a half of them are bold in their statements. Or may I say bald? :bounce::bounce::bounce:  

PD: Have you played a20 lately? It would be cool that you mentioned your personal view on the state of the alpha. A penny for you thoughts.

10 minutes ago, ShellHead said:

So what are the things you all are most looking forward to in the upcoming dev stream? I’m looking forward to more details on the new gear progression myself.

Shape system. Random gen too, to some extent, but we got a fair amount of information about it, to be honest. What I really want is to generate worlds myself! 😂

So, I tried to figure out the release date for A20 experimental. Coming from facebook, I managed to count (hopefully right) that there were 7-8 developer streams for A19.

We know now that the developer streams will be weekly. So let's say there will be 7 streams which gives us the date for 20th of october. We also know A20 will be released on monday, so the soonest possible date is 25th of october. But personally  I think there might be 8 streams and A20 will be released 1th of november, right after halloween, it sounds much better. Guess we will have to wait and see :)

6 minutes ago, EffiJeff said:

So, I tried to figure out the release date for A20 experimental. Coming from facebook, I managed to count (hopefully right) that there were 7-8 developer streams for A19.

We know now that the developer streams will be weekly. So let's say there will be 7 streams which gives us the date for 20th of october. We also know A20 will be released on monday, so the soonest possible date is 25th of october. But personally  I think there might be 8 streams and A20 will be released 1th of november, right after halloween, it sounds much better. Guess we will have to wait and see :)

As long as its you saying end of October/beginning of November instead of Madmole saying end of October/beginning of November I'm happy to confirm that you said end of October/beginning of November.

52 minutes ago, Roland said:

As long as its you saying end of October/beginning of November instead of Madmole saying end of October/beginning of November I'm happy to confirm that you said end of October/beginning of November.

honestly i feel like dragon or vampire : eternal waiting for something interesting ( another stream)

• Crater Creator changed the title to A20 Developer Diary Discussions
  • Roland unpinned this topic