A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

38 minutes ago, Survager said:

Once upon a time, before the release of Alpha 19, we on the forum discussed the appearance in the game of a kind of train.

I couldn't find Joel's post, but I do remember that he was speculating that at some point in the game, improvised minecarts could appear that could move on rails that players can place. These minecarts could be used by players to conveniently travel to and from mines.

Also, if I remember correctly, it was mentioned that such rails could be located almost vertically, which could replace the lifts for the players, which the developers refused to implement (lifts) in 16 Alpha (if I remember correctly).

Q: Is the implementation of the rails and minecarts still under discussion, or is it Joel's ( @Madmole ) dead horse that shouldn't be kicked anymore?

Thanks for what you are doing, I look forward to 20 Alpha)

P.S. @Roland you can say that Joel never wrote this, I still couldn't find proof 😅😂

i have a additional question - if you doesn't want  to add trains as vehicle and useble rails , so there is any chance to be them as a props?  you know train stations, destroyed bridges with train on it etc?

19 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Maybe the blunderbuss could be retrofitted into a primitive rocket launcher like the broadsider in fo76 lol...

FO76_Broadsider.png

If I recall correctly, that gun was first introduced in Fallout 4…..minor point but I refuse to acknowledge Fallout 76. 🤪

6 hours ago, Matt115 said:

i have a additional question - if you doesn't want  to add trains as vehicle and useble rails , so there is any chance to be them as a props?  you know train stations, destroyed bridges with train on it etc?

id like a more standard helicopter, the gyro is fun and all but a PITA.

Missile mods, 200MM front mounted cannon, anti missile ordinance, and a way to grapple up and down so i can leave it hovering while i get a POI done;

have it waiting for me safely 50meters up.

27 minutes ago, samljer said:

200MM front mounted cannon,

A helo with a naval cannon? 25.4 mm per inch. 200/25.4= a hair over 7.87 inches. That's just about what cruisers were using as their main armament in early WW2...

I think you meant 20mm. 😁

1 hour ago, hiemfire said:

A helo with a naval cannon? 25.4 mm per inch. 200/25.4= a hair over 7.87 inches. That's just about what cruisers were using as their main armament in early WW2...

I think you meant 20mm. 😁

Nope, i meant 2000mm... the whole thing was supposed to be ridiculous.

On 8/19/2021 at 7:21 PM, Rabbitslovecactus said:

Would be amazing if every map had a highway from the city to the map boundary that looked like this. Is that in the works? Would be great for car looting and also look really amazing!

See the source image

Man could you imagine the explosion of shooting just one of those vehicles or an unknown dumb ass zombie beating on one.......

It would literally melt our cpu's, lol

On 8/21/2021 at 4:25 AM, Survager said:

Once upon a time, before the release of Alpha 19, we on the forum discussed the appearance in the game of a kind of train.

I couldn't find Joel's post, but I do remember that he was speculating that at some point in the game, improvised minecarts could appear that could move on rails that players can place. These minecarts could be used by players to conveniently travel to and from mines.

Also, if I remember correctly, it was mentioned that such rails could be located almost vertically, which could replace the lifts for the players, which the developers refused to implement (lifts) in 16 Alpha (if I remember correctly).

Q: Is the implementation of the rails and minecarts still under discussion, or is it Joel's ( @Madmole ) dead horse that shouldn't be kicked anymore?

Thanks for what you are doing, I look forward to 20 Alpha)

P.S. @Roland you can say that Joel never wrote this, I still couldn't find proof 😅😂

I don’t know if you mean the “hype train” that always gets talked about before updates. As far as I know the devs have never been interested in adding rails and mine carts/trains. 

In the early days they didn’t want to do anything more to make the game look like a Minecraft clone and these days it is just not on the roadmap and they aren’t doing anything any longer that isn’t on the roadmap. 

Vertical rails acting like an elevator is something Ive never heard until your post. 😂😂

1 minute ago, Red Eagle LXIX said:

Will there be an in-game explanation for our players seeing a zombie go through a 1 block opening and wondering why they can't crawl through one?

It defies the game's own world logic and breaks immersion.

I was sure I had a link saved to a quote of Madmole saying that if the zombies couldn't do it then the players shouldn't be able to. So with zombies soon able to do it again I was also thinking players would be able to again. That was on the old forum if I recall which none of the links work for now.

On 8/22/2021 at 4:12 PM, Roland said:

I don’t know if you mean the “hype train” that always gets talked about before updates. As far as I know the devs have never been interested in adding rails and mine carts/trains. 

In the early days they didn’t want to do anything more to make the game look like a Minecraft clone and these days it is just not on the roadmap and they aren’t doing anything any longer that isn’t on the roadmap. 

Vertical rails acting like an elevator is something Ive never heard until your post. 😂😂

but there is a chance to be rails and trains as props? 

59 minutes ago, Gamida said:

I was sure I had a link saved to a quote of Madmole saying that if the zombies couldn't do it then the players shouldn't be able to. So with zombies soon able to do it again I was also thinking players would be able to again. That was on the old forum if I recall which none of the links work for now.

It's a one way road. If players can do it, zombies should be able to do it. If zombies can do it, zombies can do it.

2 hours ago, Red Eagle LXIX said:

Will there be an in-game explanation for our players seeing a zombie go through a 1 block opening and wondering why they can't crawl through one?

It's not like that... Roland explained that zombies are now able to duck a bit and pass throw 1 & half blocks, they're not able to crawl through 1 block openings (yet) IIRC.

• Crater Creator changed the title to A20 Developer Diary Discussions
  • Roland unpinned this topic