A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

1 hour ago, jorbascrumps said:

You can't automatically reset POIs in case someone has their base setup there.

The argument may then become don't reset if there's a base inside but then what does that mean? Is there a bedroll present? What if I have a horde base or outpost without a bedroll? There's too many edge cases and subjectivity around the matter imo. The current implementation, while not perfect, is the best option.

It also plays into the survival/ role play aspect to have to manually track progress. Leave some kind of marker outside so you know what's been looted. I use wood frames in the doorway - inexpensive and easy to identify on approach.

I think you missed what I was saying. But ok

I said loot resets no matter if you get close or not. What that got to do with a base or bedroll? I said if one desides to set up base then it act no different then it does now. So not sure what you are getting at???

Painted blocks, wood frames, signs all that is great for solo sure. Actually solo I know and keep up with no issues. The issues is on multiplayer servers. Painted door, wood frames don't tell me when another player last looted it. Therefore you get to close to something looted 4 days ago by someone else and it supposed to reset on day 5. Well guess what 5 more days with no loot. That is the problem that is being talked about.

10 hours ago, Outlaw_187 said:

Good points. Also the traders shouldn't have unlimited money to buy all our unlimited loot.

They should have a set amount in my opinion. Just sayin.....feels like an exploit. 

Perhaps but there is already a limit on the number of the same type of item you can sell to the trader.

3 hours ago, crazywildfire said:

I think you missed what I was saying. But ok

I said loot resets no matter if you get close or not. What that got to do with a base or bedroll? I said if one desides to set up base then it act no different then it does now. So not sure what you are getting at???

Painted blocks, wood frames, signs all that is great for solo sure. Actually solo I know and keep up with no issues. The issues is on multiplayer servers. Painted door, wood frames don't tell me when another player last looted it. Therefore you get to close to something looted 4 days ago by someone else and it supposed to reset on day 5. Well guess what 5 more days with no loot. That is the problem that is being talked about.

So you want the game to magically tell you whether it is okay to go loot a place in a multiplayer server? For PVP this would be horrible.  For coop maybe?  Perhaps one reason people ask for shared maps.

2 hours ago, NukemDed said:

nah. at low gs the t5 buildings arent too hard and the loot is more abundant, if not a bit better also. and more zds so xp comes quicker.

More power to him as it takes more time to do so as well.  Unless he does the ultimate cheese and nerd pole to the top.  😅

5 hours ago, KhaineGB said:

The new UMA skeleton, high defintion skin maps, etc honestly look incredible.

Unity_0BVVQCSmXx.thumb.png.a3587e18d3e43bae0ccde6943067fe1f.png

That's one I made with just the base UMA clothing, hair and skin. With the artists TFP have, they could make that look a LOT better.

this will have zombies too? and allow to unsuall zombies like titan, or zombie teen?

Don't see why not. It just needs appropriate zombie skins.

Also I remember TFP saying that UMA was too expensive on performance. You can generate and create a UMA in-editor, save it as a prefab (the actual completed UMA, not the recipe) and even export to FBX for fine editing if needed.

Edited by KhaineGB (see edit history)

Just chiming in that I would be all for traders having limited coin per restock period. Would certainly slow down gameplay, which I like.

The item sell limit is good, but there's too many items that are worth so much that the limit is rarely a problem. 

It would lessen the impact of traders also which is good as they are certainly OP at the moment. And the whole "just don't use them then" argument is silly. They just need to be balanced better. And trader loot being more GS related will help even more, but a limit on their dukes seems like the best move. 

i would love for UMA to stay. But, unless sentiments have changed by TFP from last year, UMA will no longer function by alpha 21.

kebab39: If UMA is going away, are we still going to be able to create and use varied archetypes with new system?  Some of us would rather have 30+ variations of zombies than just boring moe, boe, fat momma copied and pasted everywhere. Special modeled zombies should be bosses with unique powers or something, so mixed between not-so-special looking UMA zombies they would invoke "oh @%$# a boss" reaction instead. Or at least give moes and boes etc. randomized clothes, hair and skin colors.

madmole: UMA will be gone and no UMA code will work. If you want to add new zombies you model and texture them just like we do.

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

Perhaps but there is already a limit on the number of the same type of item you can sell to the trader.

So you want the game to magically tell you whether it is okay to go loot a place in a multiplayer server? For PVP this would be horrible.  For coop maybe?  Perhaps one reason people ask for shared maps.

Shared maps would be great

1 hour ago, KhaineGB said:

Don't see why not. It just needs appropriate zombie skins.

Also I remember TFP saying that UMA was too expensive on performance. You can generate and create a UMA in-editor, save it as a prefab (the actual completed UMA, not the recipe) and even export to FBX for fine editing if needed.

Do you think UMA could be restored as mod? well honestly they maybe have right about performance but  - small numer of zombie variants is bigger problem and they don't write anything about add new zombie variants. and this would mean a lot of mods will be gone.  Well Madmole made one "mistake" in thought process. Well if you don't want to make zombie looking like something from hl1 you need good tools to make good models. And this tools need often expensive license.

2 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Where did you read that in anything I said? I never asked for it to magically tell when. Twice now words are being twisted to something totally different then what is being said. 

I guess though even if I don't find this game enjoyable on just a random multiplayer server I guess others do. But I'm not asking for the game to tell me when something is ready. I think someone else was asking for something along those lines. I for one feel the game doesn't need it to put an X on the map as that would be horrible. I don't think what someone suggested of it being faded out or whatever is also no good. 

I'm just simply saying as of right now when you are on multiplayer and for an example say loot respawn is set 10 days. If someone looted something and you don't know and it is day 9 of the loot with 1 more day till respawn. Now I go up to that place and instead of 10 days loot respawn I turns into in this example 19 days. Now a server full of people in and out it makes finding loot like why bother everything is looted and now it is longer before to find more loot. Why spend points in loot if you can't loot anything and so on. 

Now what I was suggesting is to take out that system that starts the time back over. Once something is looted and loot is set to respawn in 10 days then it actually respawns in 10 days  after it is searched regardless if you get near it or not. So how is that magically telling me it is ready? For all I know it was just looted 10min ago or 5 days ago. I still don't know when but at least the time doesn't start back over. 

1 hour ago, falloutcloud said:

Kids have been asking to start another map. Been awhile since I checked in but I thought a20 was going to be released already. Are we looking at a short window for release or we still a ways off? I don't really want to start a new map until the next alpha drops.

We're at least a few months out. You've got plenty of time.

7 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Do you think UMA could be restored as mod? well honestly they maybe have right about performance but  - small numer of zombie variants is bigger problem and they don't write anything about add new zombie variants. and this would mean a lot of mods will be gone.  Well Madmole made one "mistake" in thought process. Well if you don't want to make zombie looking like something from hl1 you need good tools to make good models. And this tools need often expensive license.

No

6 hours ago, mrk said:

Maybe for 2008

Don't be stupid.

20 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Wait what?

looting buildings of various kinds effects game stage?

So if you go into a t5 building on day 1, you'll get low level easy zeds.  Lots of them, but still easy...

If you go into it at day 100, you'll get the higher level zeds.  The sleeper volumes have game stage modifiers.  

Doing shotgun messiah in the early days is much easier than in the later days.  Cheesey design imo, which is *why* I m-word.  

I believe mm mentioned at some point relatively recently that they're going back to biome based dangers, something the poi tile system will definitely allow for, so that'll be great.

Imagine if the poi was only in the wasteland and had a level 1 or 2 radiation on it... Then you wouldn't be *able* to cheese it. 

1 hour ago, Guppycur said:

So if you go into a t5 building on day 1, you'll get low level easy zeds.  Lots of them, but still easy...

If you go into it at day 100, you'll get the higher level zeds.  The sleeper volumes have game stage modifiers.  

Doing shotgun messiah in the early days is much easier than in the later days.  Cheesey design imo, which is *why* I m-word.  

I believe mm mentioned at some point relatively recently that they're going back to biome based dangers, something the poi tile system will definitely allow for, so that'll be great.

Imagine if the poi was only in the wasteland and had a level 1 or 2 radiation on it... Then you wouldn't be *able* to cheese it. 

Yes, but the loot wouldn't be high level (which is what Fanatical_Meat was thinking).  So looting Shotgun Messiah on Day 1 won't give you the same type of loot as looting it on Day 100.  They would be great for building materials based on the amount of pallets there are in these locations.

No it's not. UMA works absolutely fine.

Metahuman is NOT THE SAME THING. At all.

One generates custom characters, including clothing. that cannot be changed at runtime.

The other is a completely customizable system and only looks as good/bad as the assets you provide to it.

That screenshot was the non-HD, free assets that came with UMA that I very quickly experimented with. There's a ton of high quality race packs, skin packs, hair packs, etc for UMA on the unity store.

Edited by KhaineGB (see edit history)

On 8/10/2021 at 2:50 AM, Gazz said:

I don't THINK it will be a big issue because the names of existing blocks should not change.

If materials get deprecated those are obviously missing from user prefabs, though.

The a20 diary says:

• Simplified upgrade path: Frame/Particle Board -> Wood -> Stone -> Concrete -> Steel

Now, I don't know anyone who doesn't upgrade concrete to reinforced concrete. The experience alone is worth it, and the material tends to become abundant. If that doesn't get handled somehow I know there isn't a single base of mine that will not turn into air and the occasional floating glass and steel.