Jump to content

Developer Diary Discussions


Roland

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, OLlIiee said:

I really like this new decorations  but  they dont blend with s surrounding and it looks artificial.

I would like to see decorations with which we can interact and should be useful , e.g. a hanging weapon on the wall, radio with music and we can search for new music and add to the radio this game is about building so  why we cant interact more with our home. Meaby  you should update 7 days to die on the NEWEST CONSOLE SONY with new Dualschock 5 it could give you new possibilities and more players.

The Game OPTIMALIZATION  is so BAD this game is keep updating but optimalization is the same!!!   WHY?!

Meaby a deer head trophy on the wall as a decorations.     

Meaby you should add fog in the horde night?                                                                                                           

Tfp do optimisations each release. But as we are in alpha the optimisations are just that as to what can be.  Pointless doing optimisations when content and mechanics are still being added.

 

The main optimisations will come in beta .

 

Alpha = content and mechanics etc

Beta = optimisation fixes and bug killing.

 

Console won't be done til pc version has gone gold. But as stated they do some optimisations

Edited by stallionsden (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, OLlIiee said:

I really like this new decorations  but  they dont blend with s surrounding and it looks artificial.

I would like to see decorations with which we can interact and should be useful , e.g. a hanging weapon on the wall, radio with music and we can search for new music and add to the radio this game is about building so  why we cant interact more with our home. Meaby  you should update 7 days to die on the NEWEST CONSOLE SONY with new Dualschock 5 it could give you new possibilities and more players.

The Game OPTIMALIZATION  is so BAD this game is keep updating but optimalization is the same!!!   WHY?!

Meaby a deer head trophy on the wall as a decorations.     

Meaby you should add fog in the horde night?                                                                                                           

 

That by far has to be the worst comment I've ever read while lurking the 7D2D forums. :classic_huh:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, stallionsden said:

Tfp do optimisations each release. But as we are in alpha the optimisations are just that as to what can be.  Pointless doing optimisations when content and mechanics are still being added.

 

The main optimisations will come in beta .

 

Alpha = content and mechanics etc

Beta = optimisation fixes and bug killing.

 

Console won't be done til pc version has gone gold. But as stated they do some optimisations

 

42 minutes ago, Rizno said:

 

That by far has to be the worst comment I've ever read while lurking the 7D2D forums. :classic_huh:

Maybe someone keep him somewhere and he wrote this post because he need help. anyone was studing cryptography? 🤪

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, lord_ahriman said:

Does anyone think by using augers we should get more hunger/thirsty? Right now you can mine like crazy and do not worry about food and drinks at all. I don't know, but imo it should be changed.

If I'm correctly remembering what madmole has said about it and the chainsaw previously, they are planning to do so.

Edited by hiemfire (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, OLlIiee said:

I really like this new decorations  but  they dont blend with s surrounding and it looks artificial.

I would like to see decorations with which we can interact and should be useful , e.g. a hanging weapon on the wall, radio with music and we can search for new music and add to the radio this game is about building so  why we cant interact more with our home. Meaby  you should update 7 days to die on the NEWEST CONSOLE SONY with new Dualschock 5 it could give you new possibilities and more players.

The Game OPTIMALIZATION  is so BAD this game is keep updating but optimalization is the same!!!   WHY?!

Meaby a deer head trophy on the wall as a decorations.     

Meaby you should add fog in the horde night?                                                                                                           

Two things come to mind:

 

Spoiler

5izxcw.jpg

 

 

Spoiler

5izxg6.jpg

 

 

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rizno said:

 

That by far has to be the worst comment I've ever read while lurking the 7D2D forums. :classic_huh:


After years of heated exchanges about learn by doing, simplification of the game, child zombies, food spoilage, digging zombies, death penalties, auto attack zones, A16 vs A17,  less calories, great taste….

 

This brought you out of lurking???

  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Yeppi said:

@Madmole / faatal 

1. Can you tell us please, how many alphas there are still to gold? Is A20 possibly A21 the last or are A22,23,24.. coming??

I love the game, but I would like to build something big again, since I built 2 castles with 250K and 300K blocks in over 500 hours in A11 and they didn't work after a big update, since then I don't dare to build big 

 

I never understand this reasoning. Steam lets you keep any old version indefinitely. If you want to build big, just stay at A19.6 and build BIG.

 

And if you copy the game to somewhere else on your harddisk you can even play A19.6 and A20 at the same time once A20 is out. (To start the  A19.6 copy you just have to start steam and then execute 7dlauncher.exe in the A19.6 directory)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

 

I never understand this reasoning. Steam lets you keep any old version indefinitely. If you want to build big, just stay at A19.6 and build BIG.

 

And if you copy the game to somewhere else on your harddisk you can even play A19.6 and A20 at the same time once A20 is out. (To start the  A19.6 copy you just have to start steam and then execute 7dlauncher.exe in the A19.6 directory)

Yup works like a charm. You can even make shortcuts and also rename the folder to something like A19.6 or whatever.  Got over 12 different versions on a drive.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Jugginator said:

Yup works like a charm. You can even make shortcuts and also rename the folder to something like A19.6 or whatever.  Got over 12 different versions on a drive.

i only have a couple... :)

bandicam 2021-08-08 20-16-47-730.jpg

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/4/2021 at 5:33 PM, LewZephyr said:

With A20 will Custom POI's auto download from the server that is hosting 7D2D?

This used to be the way at least for POI's and went away I think in A18 (I may mis-remember when).

It was a pretty cool feature and made it much easier than trying to walk non tech friends / family through how to copy the files to the correct directory.

 

Thanks for your time and insight.

pois always download from server, except the distant mesh files, so they just "pop" into existence when near

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Matt115 said:

i know i don't have right in every sitation so i'm looking for alternative solutions -for example madmole  won't zombie teens in 7dtd? so maybe anymodder will and them @ErrorNull is working on it

 

i wasn't aware that teen zombies were frowned upon in the game? if the devs have explicitly stated teenage zombies are not permitted, then i have no problems dropping the idea. it's fairly challenging to work the UMA zombie bodies into a realistically proportioned younger adult look... and maybe for good reason.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, ErrorNull said:

 

i wasn't aware that teen zombies were frowned upon in the game? if the devs have explicitly stated teenage zombies are not permitted, then i have no problems dropping the idea. it's fairly challenging to work the UMA zombie bodies into a realistically proportioned younger adult look... and maybe for good reason.

Frowned upon is probably too big a word. AFAIK it simply is more trouble than it's worth because of many countries where the game developer has to battle it out with censors (and probably a lot of potential players as well).

 

What you do in your mod is in 99% of cases independant of any restrictions the developer wants to adhere to. (But note, I don't speak in any official capacity)

 

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ErrorNull said:

 

i wasn't aware that teen zombies were frowned upon in the game? if the devs have explicitly stated teenage zombies are not permitted, then i have no problems dropping the idea. it's fairly challenging to work the UMA zombie bodies into a realistically proportioned younger adult look... and maybe for good reason.


You are good to continue with your mod.  However the future of UMA continuing to be supported in this game is the questionable part of this more than teens or children being depicted as killable zombies. The developers plan to not use it so whether they will keep the code that allows modders to use it or cut all that code from the game is the 64 million dollar question. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

@faatal

So in terms of the Burnt zombie, we have 2 the burnt zombie and the burning zombie


will the Burnt zombie spawn in with normal zombies like Moe, boa etc. while the Burning zombie spawns in the burnt forest/wasteland


Or will they both spawn in that one biome?
(idk how to explain it)

 

My understanding of it (and I could very well be wrong) is that what you call the burnt zombie is a regular zombie and the burning one is the feral version. So if that's the case they would both likely only spawn in burnt biome, hordes and the few remnants they appear in

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

Frowned upon is probably too big a word. AFAIK it simply is more trouble than it's worth because of many countries where the game developer has to battle it out with censors (and probably a lot of potential players as well).

 

What you do in your mod is in 99% of cases independant of any restrictions the developer wants to adhere to. (But note, I don't speak in any official capacity)

 

 

1 hour ago, Roland said:


You are good to continue with your mod.  However the future of UMA continuing to be supported in this game is the questionable part of this more than teens or children being depicted as killable zombies. The developers plan to not use it so whether they will keep the code that allows modders to use it or cut all that code from the game is the 64 million dollar question. 

well guys in theory : from legal issue they won't be zombie teen in 7dtd but if for example Faatal put mod with zombie teen of page as not dev but modder it would be legal right?

So in theory if they can add them as optional mod - it will be legal because these will be not publishet as "developers" but moders. You know : if you have uniform you are officer john thomas but  without it you are just john thomas. what do you think about this solution? 

3 hours ago, ErrorNull said:

 

i wasn't aware that teen zombies were frowned upon in the game? if the devs have explicitly stated teenage zombies are not permitted, then i have no problems dropping the idea. it's fairly challenging to work the UMA zombie bodies into a realistically proportioned younger adult look... and maybe for good reason.

honestly if UMA will be cut it will mean : big problems for modders 😕

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/8/2021 at 8:01 AM, Yeppi said:

@Madmole / faatal 

1. Can you tell us please, how many alphas there are still to gold? Is A20 possibly A21 the last or are A22,23,24.. coming??

I love the game, but I would like to build something big again, since I built 2 castles with 250K and 300K blocks in over 500 hours in A11 and they didn't work after a big update, since then I don't dare to build big 

So the problem is that the thing you build on alpha 11 didn't load correctly on a later version?

 

Alpha 17 had a block conversion thing to load alpha 16 prefabs on the editor, and you can save anything you build in-world as a prefab on alpha 19 (not sure when it was introduced). So the past four major alphas the conversion of prefabs has been relatively smooth. No clue if that's going to be the case for alpha 20, but the trend is positive.

 

Worlds, on the other hand, do break. But if you can save your stuff as a prefab in one world then place it on a new world, you can always keep what you built.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Roland said:

However the future of UMA continuing to be supported in this game is the questionable part of this more than teens or children being depicted as killable zombies. The developers plan to not use it so whether they will keep the code that allows modders to use it or cut all that code from the game is the 64 million dollar question. 

yea.. i knew the UMA system was being thrown out when i started my enZombies mod. it's too bad mad mole said mods represent only 1% of the player base so removing UMA was the best choice. i can understand where he comes from. once UMA is removed with alpha 21... then alpha 20 will be the version i will continue to play and create my zombies for. i can't wait to check out the 100+ new POIs.. and the improved city layout of alpha 20. i'm no 3D artist, so i'm unable to create the completely new models that other modders can do.. and i'll be interested to see what 3d models they can create for alpha 21 and beyond. i played alpha 14.7 for the first time last week and i really like the simple zombie style and general gloomier feel and atmosphere back then.

 

updated HD zombies and fancier landscapes are nice but not that important to me. maybe i'm in the minority, but i'd rather see 200 to 300 zombie variations that spawn in unique groups and circumstances, than 30 shiny high definition zombies that are reused everywhere. fortunately alpha 20 will still have UMA and since this is a zombie horde game, i'll just be focusing on making hordes of zombies thankyouverymuch.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Vor 1 Stunde sagte dcsobral:

Das Problem ist auch, dass das Ding, das SIE auf Alpha 11 erstellt Haben, in einer späteren Version nicht richtig geladen wurde?

 

Alpha 17 hatte eine Blockkonvertierungssache, um Alpha-16-Prefabs in den Editor zu laden, und Sie können alles, was SIE in der Welt bauen, als Prefab auf Alpha 19 speichern (nicht sicher, wann es eingeführt wurde). In den letzten vier Alphas verlief die Umwandlung von Fertigteilen auch relativ reibungslos. Keine Ahnung, ob das für Alpha 20 der Fall sein wird, aber der Trend ist positiv.

 

Auf der anderen Seite brechen Welten. Aber wenn SIE Ihre Sachen als Prefab in Einer Welt speichern und dann auf Einer Neuen Welt platzieren can, you Immer behalten, was SIE gebaut Haben.

I could copy a part of the savegame (larger part of the file) from a11 to a12, then the castle was always in the same place on the map. Only at the edge was there a difference in some very great heights. But with a12 some blocks were removed from the game, that made the first error. Where the blocks were you could see through the map and if you got too close, then an error was displayed above. So I came from the side so I don't have to look inside and just built up the area with other blocks. there were no further errors. But, with a13 the hd zombies were inserted, I think that was the reason and the savegame was completely broken. I have a game "Empyrion Galactic survival" because the blueprints of A1 in gold can also be built, why? because they left the blocks in the build menu, you can't use them for built, but you can load them and you have no problems with old savegames if there are old blocks or items in there. With 7DTD, some of the old things are removed, if something has been built from removed blocks, or if there are any items in the box that are no longer in play, errors can occur ... so ... start all over again. .. it makes no sense to create something big until the game is gold, because if something is removed again, you can start again anyway ..

You write that you can save the buildings as a prefab, but what about old blocks / Items, do they stay in the game or not? Because if not you have the same problem as I had in earlier alphas, that it leads to errors. (Text translated by google translator)

  • Knuckle Rub 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, ErrorNull said:

yea.. i knew the UMA system was being thrown out when i started my enZombies mod. it's too bad mad mole said mods represent only 1% of the player base so removing UMA was the best choice. i can understand where he comes from. once UMA is removed with alpha 21... then alpha 20 will be the version i will continue to play and create my zombies for. i can't wait to check out the 100+ new POIs.. and the improved city layout of alpha 20. i'm no 3D artist, so i'm unable to create the completely new models that other modders can do.. and i'll be interested to see what 3d models they can create for alpha 21 and beyond. i played alpha 14.7 for the first time last week and i really like the simple zombie style and general gloomier feel and atmosphere back then.

 

updated HD zombies and fancier landscapes are nice but not that important to me. maybe i'm in the minority, but i'd rather see 200 to 300 zombie variations that spawn in unique groups and circumstances, than 30 shiny high definition zombies that are reused everywhere. fortunately alpha 20 will still have UMA and since this is a zombie horde game, i'll just be focusing on making hordes of zombies thankyouverymuch.

yeah , in l4d2 i'm using mode which add a lot of new zombie variants and it looks rly good, honestly even the best looking zombies will be boring if number of variants will be low

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Yeppi said:

 

You write that you can save the buildings as a prefab, but what about old blocks / Items, do they stay in the game or not? Because if not you have the same problem as I had in earlier alphas, that it leads to errors. (Text translated by google translator)

The first thing I mentioned was the block conversion feature introduced between alpha 16 and 17. Prefab creators can speak up about what the experience has been on 18 and 19.  We know that alpha 20 is introducing the shape system which will potentially require changes to alpha 19 prefab files so that they may work on alpha 20. Hopefully there will be something like there was on alpha 17 to make that transition easy. We don't know, but the trend since 17 has been positive. We now have the editing tools with the world editor and the prefab editor, we have the modlets that allow us to keep changes separate from the game and can be used to share worlds and I think prefabs as well, blocks are now referenced by name which removes a bunch of issues related to block ordering on the xml, and the option of saving something in-game as a prefab, which can then be worked on in the prefab editor and added to other worlds in the world editor.

 

The worlds themselves are more resilient to changes since alpha 17, with the whole world "template" being pre-generated so that changes in world generation don't cause the sort of issues we used to see -- though removal, renaming and resizing of prefabs cause issues. What the new random gen is going to do to this is yet to be seen.

 

Alpha 20 has the potential to completely break worlds and prefabs, given the new shape system and the rewritten world generation with its "tiles", but I'm cautiously optimistic about it based on all the progress that has been done since alpha 17 in this regard.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Doomofman said:

 

My understanding of it (and I could very well be wrong) is that what you call the burnt zombie is a regular zombie and the burning one is the feral version. So if that's the case they would both likely only spawn in burnt biome, hordes and the few remnants they appear in

yes but ill make it cave man style

Imagethis one spawns only in POIs, blood moons, and burnt forest sense it would be more of a special zombie
Imagethis one can spawn anywhere sense its not specials

im asking @faatal if thats how it would Work. (I love both models of the burnt zombie and would love to see the bottom one when im walking in the woods) 

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

@faatal

So in terms of the Burnt zombie, we have 2 the burnt zombie and the burning zombie


will the Burnt zombie spawn in with normal zombies like Moe, boa etc. while the Burning zombie spawns in the burnt forest/wasteland


Or will they both spawn in that one biome?
(idk how to explain it)

Well you know you would summon me with that kind of question, so here we go:

 

1.

the burnt zombie is low tier and so can be spawned from day 1 on, whilst being most common in burnt forest biome

 

2.

the burning zombie is higher tier, so will be locked until higher gamestages and/or higher difficulty biome such as wasteland

 

3.

the glowing zombie is highest tier, but momentarily overlooked cause Blizzard Entertainment claimed the design to be a clone of their fire mage skeleton

 

4. you can "summon" burning zombies by yourself using the burning shaft mod an a club or burning arrows with your bow/bowcaster

   (but that wasn't what you meant I guess)

 

5.

the mid-tier version (also known as "medium-rare" zombies) are the most delicious ones and largely requested all over post-apocalyptic Navezgane

 

6.

the "well-done" versions are mainly requested by Matt115 (calls them "skeletons"), whilst predominantly known by their trivial name ("gore blocks"),

but they're quite not so popular because of their "ashy" after taste, so mostly used just for descoratice aspects.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Zeal said:

I have been watching Glock9's newest video on Lockdown. And he actually raised a good question in it. From 4:09 to 4:45. Mostly speaking about how there should be some fishes in the water, mostly to create the fish tacos. Or even zombie fishes, alligators or anything that could be a possible threat. So i hope for a fish type to be implemented in the next few alphas. Maybe a crocodile.

 

fish type skeleton crocs confirmed for A20!

 

...sorry I'm in a trollin' mood today.

Roland, skip me over to the dev diary discussion thread right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Roland unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...