A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

18 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

well this is my point? i want skeleton not as enemy but as props ( like corpses bags etc). but for limited time - like hallowen they can be enemies too - you now we have something for  christmas

@faatal small question about cities.  tiles are looking like can be connected with every site to another by road but can we expect something like

dead end road with  only drive from one side but on rest are building? 

They've has the Santa Suit and the pumpkins.

However I agree it would be nice to have holiday themed mini events like find pumpkins in the field during Halloween or collect the Santa Claws suit during Xmas week or whatever.

Cop zombies drop fireworks during the 4th and so on.

1 hour ago, Matt115 said:

well this is my point? i want skeleton not as enemy but as props ( like corpses bags etc). but for limited time - like hallowen they can be enemies too - you now we have something for  christmas

@faatal small question about cities.  tiles are looking like can be connected with every site to another by road but can we expect something like

dead end road with  only drive from one side but on rest are building? 

Kinyajuu mentioned dead ends, and the screenshot he posted includes a "cap".

3 hours ago, Sirillion said:

Skeletons have no muscles and a moving skeleton would then imply magic which wouldn’t fit the games setting.

The game's setting is thinly veiled magic too.
Zombies cannot digest food (no heart pumping blood to distribute nutrients), and thus defy physics when they magically move around without any energy source (calories) or living muscle tissue.
It's just easier to suspend your disbelief with zombies because you see less of the magic sausage-making.

...and who doesn't like magic sausage!

Supernatural zombies rule, plague zombies drool. 🧟‍♀️

-Arch Necromancer Morloc

1 hour ago, faatal said:

It could, but should what you hit block the sound? Say it is a pole or other small obstacle, it should not, which means block shapes would have to be flagged for it. We have a lot of shapes.

Don't know. Robert could tell you.

Good question on the block type; would probably have to go through and add a flag to every object and query it on the raycast hit.

If you did that though you could probably do 6 raycasts to detect sound and amplify it if your in a cave or tunnel :D

27 minutes ago, Morloc said:

Zombies cannot digest food (no heart pumping blood to distribute nutrients), and thus defy physics when they magically move around without any energy source (calories) or living muscle tissue.
It's just easier to suspend your disbelief with zombies because you see less of the magic sausage-making.

-Arch Necromancer Morloc

This made me chuckle :D

Edited by samljer (see edit history)

30 minutes ago, Morloc said:

-Arch Necromancer Morloc

That cannot be true since the objectively best zombie book series ever, Blade Tide Rising by John Ringo of course, is a plague zombies series.

33 minutes ago, Morloc said:

-Arch Necromancer Morloc

NOPE .  zombie eat you when you die and maybe they are still alive like l4d2 zombies.

Don't trust this unholy Necromancer.

Trust the power of cult of plague!

5 hours ago, Sirillion said:

Here’s to hoping they never add skeletons for anything but inanimate art assets.

Skeletons have no muscles and a moving skeleton would then imply magic which wouldn’t fit the games setting.

ah yes, But what about meat skeletons? 

Like a Crawler but with legs 

Generally we are quite careful in not taking a position on whether our zombies are dead or alive.

It's a game and it really makes no difference but once we *do* insist they are one or the other we'll have to be consistent on the ramifications of it. =P

Gazz confirmed zombies are not people, read all about it!

Honestly guys, it's a game. If they added skeletons walking around, then there are skeletons walking around. If they added lizardman zombies, then we can deal with Mark Zuckerberg zombies

It's a game, the lore is just there to give an excuse to shoot zombies

And lets be honest, have any of you stopped and asked what the zombie's attentions are?  Maybe they are just lonely and happen to be aggressive huggers  😉

And magic already exists in the game.  How do you explain the sheer amount of small rocks you can carry around and not be encumbered?  😁

18 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

And magic already exists in the game.  How do you explain the sheer amount of small rocks you can carry around and not be encumbered?  😁

Small rocks are weaksauce.

With concrete blocks you can carry about 2x the weight of the Titanic in your inventory.

3 hours ago, Gazz said:

Generally we are quite careful in not taking a position on whether our zombies are dead or alive.

It's a game and it really makes no difference but once we *do* insist they are one or the other we'll have to be consistent on the ramifications of it. =P

Lazy devs…

4 hours ago, meganoth said:

I doubt that. Because NOW in A19 you can stealthily clean a house nice and clear and have a minimal chance to be detected. If sound is muffled obviously this minimal chance will be much smaller. And you might not even need to use stealth to do this then.

I noticed this is probably ambiguous. I should have said this: "... and have a minimal chance to be detected from the outside". I was NOT talking about zombies inside.

And therefore I don't care if you see zombies inside not detecting you as a fault. Outside zombies already have a very low chance of detecting you in a building when you are stealthed and with the dampening would have no chance at all. More fun? If predictability of a game is fun for you then yes.

1 minute ago, meganoth said:

I noticed this is probably ambiguous. I should have said this: "... and have a minimal chance to be detected from the outside". I was NOT talking about zombies inside.

And therefore I don't care if you see zombies inside not detecting you as a fault. Outside zombies already have a very low chance of detecting you in a building when you are stealthed and with the dampening would have no chance at all. More fun? If predictability of a game is fun for you then yes.

well predictability is sometimes very positive thing 1 time i was everywhere and i couldn't find any beaker - but i had chanisaw , auger good guns etc. So some thing better be predictability like - beaker in hospital or secret lab, guns in military base, beer in bar or ties in car ( if car model have it) .

I will give example about enemies ;

let's say - in alternative  timline there are mannequins not zombie in 7dtd and have  few rules - they are indestrucible in day and they can't move. at night they behave like ultra agressive zombies- if they SAW you they gona hunt you until you die or sun rise but you can destroy them at night. 

Easy and simple rules ofc players could find exploit like make bases without doors and put something easy to destroy in door place. yeah but you put big mannequins auger and he is going to destroy everything on his patch. so if you run to the base better to find out how to destroy them before he destroy your base or change place of your base. rules are predictable but general enough to make a lof of random sitations

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

Outside zombies already have a very low chance of detecting you in a building when you are stealthed and with the dampening would have no chance at all. More fun? If predictability of a game is fun for you then yes.

Are you surprised when people already want to be able to always kill every zombie as it sleeps and if one should occasionally wake up and offer a different experience then the whole exploration game is ruined?

11 minutes ago, Roland said:

Are you surprised when people already want to be able to always kill every zombie as it sleeps and if one should occasionally wake up and offer a different experience then the whole exploration game is ruined?

No. Isn't that the goal of the game?  I mean, sure, stealth is a specific tactic but zombies that always wake up no matter what you do is as disagreeable as finding out zombies that are invulnerable to knuckles on every other POI for someone who decided to play as a brawler.

And no one said it needs to be easy to kill zombies stealthily, we, the sneaky, only want it to be possible.

4 minutes ago, Guppycur said:

Imagine if crawlers could... Crawl.

Up walls, ceilings, etc. 

I like that. Use the gore leaking from them as adhesive. But they'd have to leave a bloody trail.

10 minutes ago, Guppycur said:

Imagine if crawlers could... Crawl.

Up walls, ceilings, etc. 

image.jpeg.55972c889438bc25a2d75790f572028b.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Roland said:

and if one should occasionally wake up….

5 minutes ago, dcsobral said:

zombies that always wake up no matter what you do….

er….wut?

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

1 hour ago, dcsobral said:

Some sleepers will always wake up as soon as you enter their volume. Well, it's the volume that's the guilty party, not the sleeper, but that's a technical detail.

Bunker 01 (got a tier 2 clear quest for it today) is one that is designed specifically to punish stealth players. Draws them in with an easily stealthed scrap yard on the surface, once you get underground though there are exactly 2 spots you can successfully sneak attack. In at least 2 of the underground volumes they only spawn when you enter the room (the small, 3 blocks x 3 blocks of floor space, storage room which has 2 spawn right next to you facing you as you get off the ladder and the sleeping area with its drop downs). The one underground room accessed via the maintenance tunnels that doesn't wait for you to enter the room by climbing the ladder to spawn them in has them spawning so that the ladder grabs the player and breaks their stealth when you try to line up a head shot, and they're also facing the ladder opening. There is also the ambush drop in the ramp up to the front area that seems to ignore at least FTS with 3 points invested (I think it is an attack volume). Trying to stealth the designated path once you enter the bunker itself under the scrap yard is a no go and busting down the iron doors to the areas that the path has you using the maintenance tunnels to get to calls anything roaming close by and wakes up the occupants of the room. And no, there isn't room to run and re-stealth down there. Especially when the spawns are all ready right in your face or landing on your head...

For run and gun, solo and co-op, Bunker 01 is neat. For stealthing it is a "go @%$# yourself" to the player... 😑

Edited by hiemfire (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

Bunker 01 (got a tier 2 clear quest for it today) is one that is designed specifically to punish stealth players. Draws them in with an easily stealthed scrap yard on the surface, once you get underground though there are exactly 2 spots you can successfully sneak attack. In at least 2 of the underground volumes they only spawn when you enter the room (the small, 3 blocks x 3 blocks of floor space) storage room which has 2 spawn right next to you facing you as you get off the ladder and the sleeping area with its drop downs). The one underground room accessed via the maintenance tunnels that doesn't wait for you to enter the room by climbing the ladder to spawn them in has them spawning so that the ladder grabs the player and breaks their stealth when you try to line up a head shot, and they're also facing the ladder opening. There is also the ambush drop in the ramp up to the front area that seems to ignore at least FTS with 3 points invested (I think it is an attack volume). Trying to stealth the designated path once you enter the bunker itself under the scrap yard is a no go and busting down the iron doors to the areas that the path has you using the maintenance tunnels to get to calls anything roaming close by and wakes up the occupants of the room. And no, there isn't room to run and re-stealth down there. Especially when the spawns are all ready right in your face or landing on your head...

For run and gun, solo and co-op, Bunker 01 is neat. For stealthing it is a "go @%$# yourself" to the player... 😑

I assume you're talking about Bart's Salvage. Yes, I can understand your woes on a deep level. -__-

7 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

Bunker 01 (got a tier 2 clear quest for it today) is one that is designed specifically to punish stealth players. Draws them in with an easily stealthed scrap yard on the surface, once you get underground though there are exactly 2 spots you can successfully sneak attack. In at least 2 of the underground volumes they only spawn when you enter the room (the small, 3 blocks x 3 blocks of floor space) storage room which has 2 spawn right next to you facing you as you get off the ladder and the sleeping area with its drop downs). The one underground room accessed via the maintenance tunnels that doesn't wait for you to enter the room by climbing the ladder to spawn them in has them spawning so that the ladder grabs the player and breaks their stealth when you try to line up a head shot, and they're also facing the ladder opening. There is also the ambush drop in the ramp up to the front area that seems to ignore at least FTS with 3 points invested (I think it is an attack volume). Trying to stealth the designated path once you enter the bunker itself under the scrap yard is a no go and busting down the iron doors to the areas that the path has you using the maintenance tunnels to get to calls anything roaming close by and wakes up the occupants of the room. And no, there isn't room to run and re-stealth down there. Especially when the spawns are all ready right in your face or landing on your head...

IMHO, that's more a matter of bad design than stealth targeting. It has these places you go up a ladder to reach and the zombie only spawn 1m away from you when you get at the top. Zombie shouldn't magically appear in front of you, period.