A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

2 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Personally I believe we will see an A20 experimental/highly unstable playable build by the end of August.

I'd be incredibly surprised.

The vibe in the forums is that the hype train is sitting cold and the train crew is at home sleeping.  Once we see a dev stream again, the train will start warming up.  Once the A20 streaming applications thread goes up, we will probably be a month out.

Or they could be keeping it a huge secret and exp will drop Monday.

And maybe Elon Musk will show up at my house with a free Cybertruck Plaid.

22 hours ago, Roland said:

Experimental versions aren’t great for a long term game anyway

What is even the point of a "long term" save anyway, do people really stick with one save long enough for experimental updates to matter? I usually just play one save until I hit end game and have an established base etc, then get tired of raiding the same Shotgun Messiah and Shamway and take a month or two break then come back and start again. The funnest parts to me are honestly when you are leveling up and still have a reason to actually explore and find new items and upgrades and things are still a danger etc

What would you even do if you just kept playing one save long after having a horde proof base and having full build and items lol

21 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Personally I believe we will see an A20 experimental/highly unstable playable build by the end of August.

probably end of  October or early November or even going into December  but the only answer is its done when its done is what i can assure 

because with all the new features they are adding they need to take extensive tests to make sure everything is functioning as expected and that may take a long time but im not a game dev so my view may be not fully valid.

Edited by Callum123456789 (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

What is even the point of a "long term" save anyway, do people really stick with one save long enough for experimental updates to matter? I usually just play one save until I hit end game and have an established base etc, then get tired of raiding the same Shotgun Messiah and Shamway and take a month or two break then come back and start again. The funnest parts to me are honestly when you are leveling up and still have a reason to actually explore and find new items and upgrades and things are still a danger etc

What would you even do if you just kept playing one save long after having a horde proof base and having full build and items lol

Its called zamping (posh zombie bashing + camping) mode.  Derived from Glamping (glamorous camping)...😅

11 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

for me i try different things when i hit end game etc. exploring my ability to build bases and see how they hold up against hordes or just have some fun like levelling dishong tower and then...regretting that because your fps tanks for understandable reasons but i just have a lot of fun with this game since in a18 i had a world which was on day 106 with 60 minute days its just each to their own people play differently im currently on a a19 save and im on day 60 i did have another one from experimental but that got corrupted eventually 

Edited by Callum123456789 (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

wife and I have a long term game, we look up the population of an area, and that is our target zombie count before we call an area cleared.

In a19 coop. as party leader and host, I kept getting a bunch of conditions on first hit, yet the rest of the party rarely got any. also in coop as the server if I was in stealth and that chopped down say a burnt tree or opened a trash can. they could be 300 away and still it was my stealth meter that moved from 19 to 82. even tho I was standing still. The reverse tho is not true. my actions do not affect their stealth.

now that I set up a dedi server, these issues no longer exist, it is only in coop steam server that this happened. we tested every tree type and trash can. their actions no longer affect me. and I am also no longer getting 3-4 conditions on a single hit.

Has this issue for coop been addressed and corrected in A20?

Edited by wolfbain5
typos (see edit history)

2 hours ago, wolfbain5 said:

wife and I have a long term game, we look up the population of an area, and that is our target zombie count before we call an area cleared.

What area? A county in Arizona that encorporates mostly Mojave Desert vs one that has Phoenix could result in two very different lengths of games.

Greenlee County: 8600

Maricopa County: 4.6 Million

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

35 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

I just now realized that in A20 we'll have "only" the new pipe weapons... but what about "pipe tools"?

Are there any plans to add (e.g.) pipe shovel, pipe pickaxe and pipe axe, as a new "step-age" between stone and iron?

It's just that it sounds like the logical next step to the addition of the new pipe weapons...

well have you any idea how it could work? ofc stone axe can have better pebble stone axe but rest?

On 7/24/2021 at 9:45 PM, Fanatical_Meat said:

Fataal said earlier in this thread that early fall was possible.

So I'd say end of October. TFP like to do exp releases of new alphas around steam sales to drive hype, so that'd position them well for the halloween sale.

45 minutes ago, KhaineGB said:

Fataal said earlier in this thread that early fall was possible.

So I'd say end of October. TFP like to do exp releases of new alphas around steam sales to drive hype, so that'd position them well for the halloween sale.

so you are saying my wife and I can be playing a20 for our anniversary in october?

3 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

I just now realized that in A20 we'll have "only" the new pipe weapons... but what about "pipe tools"?

Are there any plans to add (e.g.) pipe shovel, pipe pickaxe and pipe axe, as a new "step-age" between stone and iron?

It's just that it sounds like the logical next step to the addition of the new pipe weapons...

Pretty sure the pipe weapons are "stone age" weapons just like the blunderbuss was. I don't see them adding any new tier anytime soon.

1 hour ago, wolfbain5 said:

so you are saying my wife and I can be playing a20 for our anniversary in october?

If not, I hope it is because A20 got delayed and not because you left the seat up on the toilet one time too many...

On 7/25/2021 at 2:27 PM, Jost Amman said:

My stone axe is usually better than the first iron axe I get. Where is there room for a step in between them?

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Roland said:

My stone axe is usually better than the first iron axe I get. Where is there room for a step in between them?

I don't know, but I've been playing several mods where they added the additional "Scrap Tools" tier and honestly seems to work rather well all in all.

I'm just saying this because I instinctively associated the "Scrap Metal" tier with the pipe weapons...