A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

2 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

In a burnt biome, such wandering hordes would consist primarily or exclusively of burning zombies.

conga line of fire. Extremely dangerous, cause those will burn extra long, similar to a barbecue minion ring 😄

Just don't let it come too close to a horde of frozen lumberjacks (those will obliberate each other of course)

On a serious side note, 

I would rather see burnt or frozen versions of every zombie according to the different biomes.

But I know it was discussed so many times that it ain't easy to do that sort of variety in zombie models, so won't happen.

I guess I would take your suggestion, although it might look will look weird and repetitive. (I don't care, it's easy XP, so what 😬)

33 minutes ago, meilodasreh said:

conga line of fire. Extremely dangerous, cause those will burn extra long, similar to a barbecue minion ring 😄

Just don't let it come too close to a horde of frozen lumberjacks (those will obliberate each other of course)

On a serious side note, 

I would rather see burnt or frozen versions of every zombie according to the different biomes.

But I know it was discussed so many times that it ain't easy to do that sort of variety in zombie models, so won't happen.

I guess I would take your suggestion, although it might look will look weird and repetitive. (I don't care, it's easy XP, so what 😬)

Always felt the rifle line perks were pretty useless. Being able to fire thru a zombie with a single shot rifle???

How often does that happen even with the perk. How often a two perfectly lined up. Maybe on a horde night but single shot rifle while they are all running seems to be a bad weapon choice.

conga line would change all the above and make that perk totally worth having.

2 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Always felt the rifle line perks were pretty useless. Being able to fire thru a zombie with a single shot rifle???

How often does that happen even with the perk. How often a two perfectly lined up. Maybe on a horde night but single shot rifle while they are all running seems to be a bad weapon choice.

conga line would change all the above and make that perk totally worth having.

It really is useful when you have a horde base with elevated corridor design, so they all line up going for you. I always wondered why they introduced that perk because that design was „officially“ stated as „cheesing the AI“

25 minutes ago, meilodasreh said:

It really is useful when you have a horde base with elevated corridor design, so they all line up going for you. I always wondered why they introduced that perk because that design was „officially“ stated as „cheesing the AI“

I'm more curious why they added the robotic sledge. They must have known it was going to become the ultimate cheese machine. Lol

All you need is an extremely tall staircase (about 70 or so meters high at least), a small bridge going off of it where the robotic sledge(s) sit on the side, and they knock the zombies back down to ground level while you stand at the opposite end. If you can put rad removers in the sledges, this means that even rad zombies will eventually die from the bonking and/or from fall damage. Theoretically that base design would be completely AFKable. Lol

1 hour ago, meilodasreh said:

The only strategies that have officially been stated as cheesing the AI were 1) Digging under ground, 2) Driving around all night, and 3) Treading water all night. All three of these strategies have officially been addressed by the developers in that special way they have to destroy "mah playstyle!". I never read a single staff member of TFP state officially that constructing an elevated corridor design is cheesing the AI. Instead, I have witnessed Madmole himself utilize a kill corridor design. Seeing as how we have gone from A17 - A20 and elevated kill corridors still work while the first three mentioned have systematically been dismantled since A17, I think that it is safe to say that forming an elevated corridor to bait zombies into lining up so that AP rounds can be utilized to maximum value is considered a valid strategy by TFP.

As for the community, you will always get proclamations of cheese from one quarter or another. I wouldn't worry about it.

17 minutes ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Haha treading water all night. I never thought of that even with all my playtime. That’s awesomely simple.

Don't try it unless you load up an older version.

Or do try it but make sure to have the Jaws soundtrack playing while you do. haha...

14 hours ago, meilodasreh said:

You may be thinking of zombies endlessly running up elevations in a loop even though there wasn't even a chance to get to the player (this happened in A16). So Faatal changed the AI, now zombies do not go up ramps unless you put yourself up as bait at the end and by introducing destroy mode.

11 hours ago, Roland said:

Don't try it unless you load up an older version.

Or do try it but make sure to have the Jaws soundtrack playing while you do. haha...

well i hope they will make something like "drowned" type of zombie because it could work good and be natural sign that making bases on water is bad idea

18 hours ago, meilodasreh said:

On a serious side note, 

Please don't tell the modding community that having variety in zombies is too difficult.  I don't want to see them stop making them... 

Just sayin'.

4 hours ago, Roland said:

But we haven't begun the ball rolling yet even with existing streamers who are already on our list. A few have reached out and asked for ballpark timing and I've not been able to give them anything definitive.

To add to this, if you really really need definitve information about the release date you should ask Adam the Waster

Seriously.

No joke.

😉

3 hours ago, meilodasreh said:

As I can't think of any way the "airvent" right above Jen wasn't intended for that exact reason (perspective),

I want to ask if we can hope for some additional "scoping options" on her in A20

why.thumb.jpg.0a6ce9970473f245f70fa73acad718e0.jpg

If you find out anything more on this you can keep us abreast of the situation.

I mean everything is fine but simplifying the improvement of the blocks takes away a lot of gameplay and at the same time it will no longer be expensive to do it because it will require less material something that complicated the game but good. And what is the development of the game goes well but what they should or would be missing in what is gameplay would be in the seller's missions that are almost always the same miciones in the same places. That tires, to which they should do that when the mission is fulfilled to derive to another settlement different from the one that already left and not to put it another ves. So many settlements scattered around the map and you always go to the same places over and over again.  

Spoiler

osea todo bien pero simplificar la mejora de los bloques le quita mucha jugabilidad y a la ves que ya no sera nada costoso hacerlo ya que requerira menos material algo que complicaba mas el juego pero bueno. Y a lo que es el desarrollo del juego va bien pero lo que deberian o les faltaria en lo que es jugabilidad seria en las misiones del vendedor que casi siempre son las mismas miciones en los mismos lugares. Eso cansa, a lo cual deberian hacer que cuando se cumpla la misión derivar a otro asentamiento diferente al que ya se fue y no ponerlo otro ves. Tantos acentamientos regados por el mapa y siempre vas a los mismos lugares una y OTRA VES. 

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

7 hours ago, meilodasreh said:

As I can't think of any way the "airvent" right above Jen wasn't intended for that exact reason (perspective),

I want to ask if we can hope for some additional "scoping options" on her in A20

why.thumb.jpg.0a6ce9970473f245f70fa73acad718e0.jpg

me : zombie variants , grimdark, corpeses , sad small stories , environment story telling, lore , zombie epidemic theory etc

90% of forum : bOOBsssss 

me : can anyone what's going wrong and why we pretened it is '80?

12 hours ago, Matt115 said:

so it's mean will be 7dtd  supported (big updates not fixes) for 1 or 2 years?

I would be surprised if 7DTD turned gold in 1-2 years. Pretty sure we have several years to get to gold and then a period where gold gets fixes.

51 minutes ago, Treb said:

I would be surprised if 7DTD turned gold in 1-2 years. Pretty sure we have several years to get to gold and then a period where gold gets fixes.

In fact I wouldn't mind if 7D2D turns out to be what it is today forever: a sandbox playground where the devs can make experiences and improve their skills

(and nevertheless for us as players a - despite of "early development state" - source of hundreds of hours of great fun)

Those skills they can use in their next games for next generation engine and hardware.

I remember it was oftenly said that this or that cool thing can't be implemented because of performance reasons.

Those restrictions wouldn't be there in next generation setups.

...please just wait with anything 'til mid 2023 when I will build my new AM5 Zen4 DDR5 Navi3 rig 😬

...which will of course be totally outdated when we reach 7D2D 2 A20 😂

7 hours ago, meganoth said:

Well, it also means at least one of your next games (probably 7D2D 2) will be a Unity game, which will disappoint Unreal engine worshippers who think that other engine is the holy grail 😁

This actually really annoys me. One of the big arguments I see is "Oh well the zombies would perform better if it were on unreal." Or "Oh it'd look so much better on unreal..."

No. Not being a fully destructable VOXEL WORLD would help in both of those regards since it won't have to constantly recalculate nav meshes, distort meshes on player interaction, etc. :D

(Plz don't remove world destruction in this game, kkthx)

5 hours ago, meilodasreh said:

In fact I wouldn't mind if 7D2D turns out to be what it is today forever: a sandbox playground where the devs can make experiences and improve their skills

(and nevertheless for us as players a - despite of "early development state" - source of hundreds of hours of great fun)

Those skills they can use in their next games for next generation engine and hardware.

I remember it was oftenly said that this or that cool thing can't be implemented because of performance reasons.

Those restrictions wouldn't be there in next generation setups.

...please just wait with anything 'til mid 2023 when I will build my new AM5 Zen4 DDR5 Navi3 rig 😬

...which will of course be totally outdated when we reach 7D2D 2 A20 😂

well problem is.. most people who want to play this game (95%) bought this game so they can't earn to much on 7dtd

1 hour ago, JCrook1028 said:

Where did you get those stats from? Or did you just invent them?

this was realeased in 2013 so people had... 8 years to buy?  ofc  a lot of people have on pirate version too but they are playing without buying so i don't count them. always 7dtd can get "fresh air" like the last stand to l4d2 like : 200 new pois ,50 variants of zombie etc - something so big that people in yt , news pages will talk about it