A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

1 hour ago, beHypE said:

Having lots of zeds in the cities would not only make it more fun but it would also bring some challenge to what is currently a day 1 lootville ! It used to be "logical" in some way, concentrated loot area = hard area. Back in the days we looted isolated houses and small towns, but a hub city ? Better be ready for that. Right now, there's no reason not to head towards the biggest city nearby on day 1, and it kinda kills any sense of area progression and makes all those isolated POIs / smaller towns a waste of time, not an opportunity.

The best of all would be a dynamic POI concentration spawn filter. 1 isolated house, 1 or 2 roaming zeds. 4 POIs nearby ? A whole bunch of zeds. A rural area with shops and whatnot ? Mirrions ! 

I doubt that would be possible due to performance reasons. As an alternative, how about higher gamestage nighttime spawns? If you don't want to encounter feral wights or the odd cop, for example, running on your heals or stalking outside of bedroom window, then you could simply live elsewhere. (I doubt this would be possible through code though; it sounds too specific.)

Edit: I suppose the closest we could come to your suggestion above is a zombie slider where the player dictates the number of zombies that can spawn in one's world. Each time you adjust it a warning pop up, notifying the player of possible performance hits if their rig isn't of semi-impressive quality.

BTW speaking of the November 2020 "No haircut challenge", Why is Lathan (Fubar_Prime) so ridiculously attractive with that natural symmetrical beard ? He projects such a professional "Clooney" aura as opposed to the previous "Despicable me" one....

Just why ? If I were a ramp frame, I swear I would change my orientation. Just sayin'.

Is he gonna be a model for a gorgeous npc in the future or what ? Why isn't anybody talking about it ? May I speak to his parents and congratulate them on that quest ? That one sure doesn't have any bugs. Fetch and Clear anytime.

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)

On 11/23/2020 at 10:12 AM, Darinth said:

Is this exclusive to the drone or can the sledge and turret also have this attached? I've been hoping for the ability to hook a light up to the turret basically since I originally got it. They don't support the weapon flashlight mod.

Ooooo the ability to have one of the big full sized floodlights on your junk turrets  / sledge would be freaking awesome!! Maybe as a perk reward / skill book so it's not too OP (as if light is really a problem anyway with head lamps and the display setting)

Those big base lights already exist so stealing the code and strapping them to your turrets to create little mobile pockets of light in the dark would lead to some really, really cool "final battle against the hordes" moments at night

2 hours ago, Khalagar said:

Ooooo the ability to have one of the big full sized floodlights on your junk turrets  / sledge would be freaking awesome!! Maybe as a perk reward / skill book so it's not too OP (as if light is really a problem anyway with head lamps and the display setting)

Those big base lights already exist so stealing the code and strapping them to your turrets to create little mobile pockets of light in the dark would lead to some really, really cool "final battle against the hordes" moments at night

similar to mining lanterns. place a light and be able to pick it backup

1 hour ago, Blake_ said:

-Burnt forest is going to be combined with the Wasteland biome into a big "art set" in a similar theme than the previous pine forest/normal forest merge, adding beefier gameplay with seamless merged burnt/radiated areas. TheFunPimp argues that the impact of this change will hopefully result in MORE variety due to the granular design approach of the RWG and also better gameplay overall (less repetition, more good stuff, better weather handling and straightforward progression). This is still a WIP.

I fail to see how this adds more variation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the wasteland and burnt forest are going to be merged together like the pine forest and maple forest were, it just sounds like they're taking even more biomes away now.

So right now we would have Snow Forest, normal forest, desert and burnt-wasteland. Four biomes as opposed to the seven we used to have.

And if you combine all the biomes into one, you will achieve MAXIMUM diversity.

...Okay....

... just let for us make our own biomes and i won't bother you - you can remove all the biomes from vanilla if it's so useful...

Tell me honestly - what technical problem makes you do this?

Edited by n2n1 (see edit history)

43 minutes ago, Xtrakicking said:

I fail to see how this adds more variation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the wasteland and burnt forest are going to be merged together like the pine forest and maple forest were, it just sounds like they're taking even more biomes away now.

So right now we would have Snow Forest, normal forest, desert and burnt-wasteland. Four biomes as opposed to the seven we used to have.

My opinion is that the burnt forest is currently not only bland, but boringly bigger than it should be. Same with the forests before they merged. I'd rather have more interesting locations in a more densely packed area than a big chunk of burnt out land that has mostly 1 type of Zd around. I always thought it was weird that they didn't merge it like the forests.  Now we will have everything that the burnt forest offered (burnt piles, burnt Zds) mixed with the Wasteland. It's not that it is gone, it's just more interesting because it will be a combination of the Wasteland art sets and the burnt forest ones comprising a single general area.

The new RWG system will allow new tiny mixed biomes, like ice formations in the snow, muddy swamp looking places in the forest, you name it. Not really pimp dreams here. Madmole talked about it a while ago. It all comes down to time. I think this merge helps time by not taking away anything yet making weather survival and gamestages easier to balance in the future.

36 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

My opinion is that the burnt forest is currently not only bland, but boringly bigger than it should be. Same with the forests before they merged. I'd rather have more interesting locations in a more densely packed area than a big chunk of burnt out land that has mostly 1 type of Zd around. I always thought it was weird that they didn't merge it like the forests.  Now we will have everything that the burnt forest offered (burnt piles, burnt Zds) mixed with the Wasteland. It's not that it is gone, it's just more interesting because it will be a combination of the Wasteland art sets and the burnt forest ones comprising a single general area.

The new RWG system will allow new tiny mixed biomes, like ice formations in the snow, muddy swamp looking places in the forest, you name it. Not really pimp dreams here. Madmole talked about it a while ago. It all comes down to time. I think this merge helps time by not taking away anything yet making weather survival and gamestages easier to balance in the future.

Well, here we can see an example of the strange phenomena of "fixing the broken item by throwing it in the trash".

What you're mentioning isn't a problem stemming from the burnt forest in itself, it's a problem stemming from how the burnt forest biome has been handled and presented. The snow forest also has just one type of zombie in it, yet the snow forest isn't bland or boring, and they're probably not going to take away the snow forest either anyways (really hope so at least, unless they're thinking of blending it together with the desert somehow). Could it be because of the unique POIs? The mountain lions? The overall look and feel? If so, why not do the same with the burnt forest too? Why not make it a fun and interesting place to visit instead?

We'll be getting new mutant zombies and bandits in the future, which give more options to make the place more engaging as well.

Anyways, my point is that it just looks like instead of making the burnt forest an interesting place in itself they want to merge it with the wasteland to "dilute" its blandness. By blending it all together, it just seems like the end result will be overall less unique locations to see and visit; just either forest, snow forest, desert or wasteland now.

We'll see, I guess. Really hope you're right.

Edited by Xtrakicking (see edit history)

29 minutes ago, Xtrakicking said:

Anyways, my point is that it just looks like instead of making the burnt forest an interesting place in itself they want to merge it with the wasteland to "dilute" its blandness. By blending it all together, it just seems like the end result will be overall less unique locations to see and visit; just either forest, snow forest, desert or wasteland now.

Yes, you're right, it's all an elaborate plan by TFP to make the game more... "bland", ehrm. :heh:

For me it sounds like having wasteland inside burned forest biome like a bomb went down there creating the wasteland with radiation zones and around the burned forest cause of all the heat. that would be nice. they do look pretty similar so its not a big deal anyway

I really miss plains not strictly as a biom but rather as a vast open area which brought to the game more variety of terrain. Honestly I dont see any problem with having all the resources in every biom either. Some resources could have be more abundant in certain bioms and in other far less. Ore might have been extracted from deeper ground or have additional extracting bonuses based on each biom. Players wouldn`t be strictly dependant/bound by a given zone and some sort of progression and perks when it comes exploration might be saved also.

Why you doesnt update ps4 version of game? I want new update on ps4. I am so sad because the ps4 udate doesnt comming :(.

Why you doesnt update ps4 version of game? I want new update on ps4. I am so sad because the ps4 udate doesnt comming :(.

43 minutes ago, geryes said:

Please write in the Console Forum, you are on the PC Forum.

But to answer: Developer got the rights to the Console Part back not long ago after Telltale screwed up. But they stated before any work will go into Consoles, Game will go Gold first. If my brain serves correctly, PS4/Xbox One Versions are being abondened and instead they will port to PS5 and Series X

1 hour ago, TWORDY said:

I really miss plains not strictly as a biom but rather as a vast open area which brought to the game more variety of terrain. 

Good luck with this bud.  I agree with you - plains of old were leaps ahead of anything currently.  To see them get excited about desert mesas last ngiht when the original plains had them everywhere and looks great is humoring.

36 minutes ago, Ladarian said:

Good luck with this bud.  I agree with you - plains of old were leaps ahead of anything currently.  To see them get excited about desert mesas last ngiht when the original plains had them everywhere and looks great is humoring.

The plains were also the best place to make a base, since they had a lot of even terrain and it was clear of trees. I truly never understood why they removed it.

Someone already mentioned and of course been ignored... and i really feel like the developers are a bit of...not so cool... for doing that, thats just my opinion tho.

->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FIX THE DAMN GAME BREAKING BUGS.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<-

1. The game is like out nearly a decade and i still keep spawning on wrong beds (specially in bloodmoon) <- Complete game breaking for ANY pvp server as it discovers other peoples bases or even allows you to raid your way out of theyr base, or even if you die, you get to know the location...
2. Vehicles keep teleporting away and duplicate (also with full inventory) <- Complete game breaking for ANY server, because people just duplicate a full inventory of dynamite, rockets or anything else they need... of course this is even worse for pvp servers.

3. Being able to push yourself under the ground with plant pots (or other blocks) and look where peoples base is <- Complete game breaking for ANY pvp server.

These are just 3 of the REALLY GAME BREAKING bugs i quickly remembered that propably have already made a hundred of thousands of players quit your game, well perhabs milions as this game apparently sold 10milion or more times....

Fancy looking @%$# wont fix the issues, it will only temporary attract a few new peoples that ultimately will quit because theres still these bugs that make people lose hundreds of houres of theyr work into what they build, gather... etc.

Also, with removing of the UMA stuff, i suppose serverside vehicles, zombies, etc will all be history.... and thats what keeps me playing currently.

I am the owner of a PVP Server and had on the last map till its wipe arround 6000 profiles of players that played, arround 1000 times ive propably been asked by new people questions regarding these game breaking bugs, if i could fix it etc... my early answers usualy been "Well, the devs propably gonna fix it at some point", but to be honest, after person 500 and alot of time passing... i propably only gave answers like "Well 7days is @%$# coded" as i cant honestly answer to a person with fake or unknown infos anymore.

This is just my opinion and currently nothing is convincing me that the gold version will have the game breaking bugs gone.

Sorry if anyone feels offended, but seriously... how are such game breaking bugs not TOP priority for the next Alphas?

Edited by Mousebots (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Xtrakicking said:

The plains were also the best place to make a base, since they had a lot of even terrain and it was clear of trees. I truly never understood why they removed it.

Memory, space used up, redundancy, etc. I'm sure that they were wanting to cut back on biomes that don't have any real distinguishing features. It was pretty similar to the desert, minus all of the trees. I do miss it and the forest though.

24 minutes ago, Mousebots said:

Someone already mentioned and of course been ignored... and i really feel like the developers are a bit of...not so cool... for doing that, thats just my opinion tho.

->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FIX THE DAMN GAME BREAKING BUGS.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<-

1. The game is like out nearly a decade and i still keep spawning on wrong beds (specially in bloodmoon) <- Complete game breaking for ANY pvp server as it discovers other peoples bases or even allows you to raid your way out of theyr base, or even if you die, you get to know the location...
2. Vehicles keep teleporting away and duplicate (also with full inventory) <- Complete game breaking for ANY server, because people just duplicate a full inventory of dynamite, rockets or anything else they need... of course this is even worse for pvp servers.

3. Being able to push yourself under the ground with plant pots (or other blocks) and look where peoples base is <- Complete game breaking for ANY pvp server.

These are just 3 of the REALLY GAME BREAKING bugs i quickly remembered that propably have already made a hundred of thousands of players quit your game, well perhabs milions as this game apparently sold 10milion or more times....

Fancy looking @%$# wont fix the issues, it will only temporary attract a few new peoples that ultimately will quit because theres still these bugs that make people lose hundreds of houres of theyr work into what they build, gather... etc.

Also, with removing of the UMA stuff, i suppose serverside vehicles, zombies, etc will all be history.... and thats what keeps me playing currently.

I am the owner of a PVP Server and had on the last map till its wipe arround 6000 profiles of players that played, arround 1000 times ive propably been asked by new people questions regarding these game breaking bugs, if i could fix it etc... my early answers usualy been "Well, the devs propably gonna fix it at some point", but to be honest, after person 500 and alot of time passing... i propably only gave answers like "Well 7days is @%$# coded" as i cant honestly answer to a person with fake or unknown infos anymore.

This is just my opinion and currently nothing is convincing me that the gold version will have the game breaking bugs gone.

Sorry if anyone feels offended, but seriously... how are such game breaking bugs not TOP priority for the next Alphas?

I'm sorry, did they say they weren't fixing any bugs? Bugs are ALWAYS their priority, right next to optimizations. I'm pretty sure that they said part of A20 is going to be a polish and quality of life update similar to A18. If you have bugs, don't report them here. Report them in the bug reporting thread, with a detailed post. Also, don't act as a spokesperson for people who may or may not have quit the game because of bugs. If they did, well, they should have realized that this game is in Alpha and it will have bugs.