A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

1 minute ago, meganoth said:

Or drones are like a sweater and minibike is like a jacket. In anything but deepest winter weather both are just too much. 😉

NOPE ! there is never too much : there is always too cold.. and not enought dakka ( somebody know the refrence?) . SO MORE STUFF MEAN MORE STUFF . honestly i'm taking so much stuff so rly i want truck. no small 4x4 for babies but BIG MO$%@#@$#% TRUCK FOR REAL BADDASSES like - take this small truck from dawn of the dead and do big TRUCK with trailer with barber wire ! that's what we neeed!! < explosions, music from '90 and nice girl with m16 sitting on truck in background>

2 hours ago, samljer said:

Of course there is, he said it just now.

Those details will be given later.

Im assuming a "flying junk turret" of sorts.

A radar that shows Zds on your map or compass (like animal tracking) would also be cool.

See #7

I`m not sure about this one because Animal Tracker would become obsolete. The drone could automatically detect animals with a combination of Animal Tracker ability then why not. Controlling the drone remotely and having a camera from above including Night Vision mode could be a thing also.

39 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Why would that be?

Complete set bonus for the Shotgun Messiah series: "You can one shot most wood blocks. Bulk craft all shotgun ammo."

Block hp doesn't matter if they do not revisit the magazine set bonus.

14 minutes ago, TWORDY said:

I`m not sure about this one because Animal Tracker would become obsolete. The drone could automatically detect animals with a combination of Animal Tracker ability then why not.

They're talking about tracking Zombies via the drone. Not animals. Zds, or Zeds, is a common way for people in the Commonwealth countries (UK, Australia, Canada, etc.) to refer to zombies much as we in the US use "Zee" (as spoken, not written since the difference is from how US and British English dialects pronounce "Z") on occasion when we're feeling lazy.

1 minute ago, hiemfire said:

They're talking about tracking Zombies via the drone. Not animals. Zds, or Zeds, is a common way for people in the Commonwealth countries (UK, Australia, Canada, etc.) to refer to zombies much as we in the US use "Zee" (as spoken, not written since the difference is from how US and British English dialects pronounce "Z") on occasion when we're feeling lazy.

Ahh yeah, You're perfectly right Zees stands for zombies... animals might be visualized also thanks to drone with the inclusion of Animal Tracking perk... Iive in UK right now but Im not a native speaker :)

57 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

NOPE ! there is never too much : there is always too cold.. and not enought dakka ( somebody know the refrence?) . SO MORE STUFF MEAN MORE STUFF . honestly i'm taking so much stuff so rly i want truck. no small 4x4 for babies but BIG MO$%@#@$#% TRUCK FOR REAL BADDASSES like - take this small truck from dawn of the dead and do big TRUCK with trailer with barber wire ! that's what we neeed!! < explosions, music from '90 and nice girl with m16 sitting on truck in background>

Ahhhh yesss, I see your point. Like this one ? :Dspacer.png

With the guitar guy ? They could change him for a punk girl😂

spacer.png

As someone who's made/played an m-word that has mobile storage that follows you, it's "meh" at best, game play wise... by this point, you're already swimming in abilities to assist you in this endeavor.  A vehicle outside (or a chest or whatever) that you can throw stuff in seems to have the same net effect. 

Hopefully we can do cool things with it like pull up the mini map and send it places, or add mods to it that add features like warning, attacking, etc...

Let the drone handle trader turn-ins.

I would even be happy if it just belonged to the trader and only followed me while on a job. Take the found loot, return with my rewards.

The back and forth trips are the least entertaining part of the game for me.

16 hours ago, Dares said:

With the guitar guy ? They could change him for a punk girl😂

I dunno...I like punk girls as much as the next fellow, but Guitar Guy has a very honored/special place in the post-apocalypse universe.

-Morloc

Hello everybody and @faatal @madmole

I have a good question for the developers... I hope this is a good question and I will get an answer)

So, we know that in Alpha 20, the zombie spider will change a lot, and I really wish that his capabilities were not limited only to the ability to jump long distances.

How do you look to partially restore the ability of spiders to interact with vertical surfaces?
I'm not talking about returning the ability to crawl on walls to spider zombies, I understand that finding paths requires a lot of resources and this is contrary to the path of the developers.

My idea is to give the spider zombie the ability to stick to the vertical part of the walls or to the ceiling after jumping. And also a zombie spider could jump from one surface to another.

My guess is that the spider zombie won't be able to crawl up vertical walls and ceilings, but it could well start breaking blocks next to it after it sticks to such a surface. And if the spider zombie takes minimal damage, he could just fall down or jump in any direction.

As far as I can see, this shouldn't affect the pathfinding for this type of zombie, but it will make the spiders quite dangerous for the player base )

What do you think about this idea?

RU text

Spoiler

Привет всем.

У меня есть хороший вопрос к разработчикам... я надеюсь, что это хороший вопрос и я получу на него ответ )

Итак, мы знаем, что в 20 Альфе зомби паук сильно изменится, и мне очень хотелось бы, что его возможности не ограничивались только возможностью прыгать на большие расстояния.

Как вы смотрите на то, чтобы частично вернуть паукам способность взаимодействовать с вертикальными поверхностями?

Я говорю не о том, чтобы вернуть зомби-паукам способность ползать по стенам, я понимаю, что на поиск путей требуется очень много ресурсов и это противоречит пути разработчиков.

Моя идея заключается в том, чтобы дать зомби-пауку способность после прыжка прилипать к вертикальной части стен или к потолку. А так же зомби-паук мог бы прыгать с одной поверхности на другую.

Я предполагаю, что зомби-паук не сможет ползать по вертикальным стенам и потолкам, но он вполне мог бы начать разрушать блоки рядом с собой после того как прилипнет к такой поверхности. А если зомби-паук получает минимальный урон, он мог бы просто падать вниз или прыгать в произвольном направлении.

Как я вижу, это не должно повлиять на поиск путей для такого типа зомби, но это сделает пауков довольно опасными для базы игрока )

Что скажете об этой идее?

Edited by Survager (see edit history)

I just want to play A20. I think we have to wait like 2 months to the release. It's really hard to wait but at least the patch will be at the finest. GIVE MORE LEAKS PLS... So curious about the spider and screamer update

On 6/29/2021 at 8:38 PM, samljer said:

Of course there is, he said it just now.

Those details will be given later.

Im assuming a "flying junk turret" of sorts.

A radar that shows Zds on your map or compass (like animal tracking) would also be cool.

See #7

Quite a while ago, they showed a WIP drone with taser capabilities (like the stun baton). So that might happen. It wouldn't be OP at all and it would wrap up the whole "control the environment" feeling that INT has. I dig it. 

On 6/29/2021 at 9:22 PM, MechanicalLens said:

Agreed. With the block degradation being removed, the shotgun won't one-shot wooden blocks to frames, but to actual air. I can see this being a great source of grievance, in more ways than one.

Actually, it would be the same. What it does now (a19) is destroying the wood frame and adding the damage value to the downgrade (or rather, substracting the remaining damaged hp to the downgrade). With the a20 update it would be exactly the same because the hp of the blocks they took away will be added to the wood block.

So imagine you have a "frame", which you upgraded to a "wood block" and then to a "further upgraded wood block" for a total of around 800hp. You break the further upgraded wood block and get, say, a frame with 20 hp as the final result.

In a20 you will get the one block with 800 with the same end result, except it won't downgrade, you just end up with a 20 hp wood block .

@faatal In truth, one thing that bothers me the most now, at 19 Alpha, is that explosion damage goes through walls, even if it doesn't destroy them. So Demolisher, when exploding, can destroy with his explosion everything that is behind the steel wall (relays, switches, etc.), while the wall does not collapse.

Is this a game bug or is this the way it should work?

39 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

Actually, it would be the same. What it does now (a19) is destroying the wood frame and adding the damage value to the downgrade (or rather, substracting the remaining damaged hp to the downgrade). With the a20 update it would be exactly the same because the hp of the blocks they took away will be added to the wood block.

You're saying it doesn't do what the perk says it does.

23 hours ago, hiemfire said:

Complete set bonus for the Shotgun Messiah series: "You can one shot most wood blocks. Bulk craft all shotgun ammo."

31 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

You're saying it doesn't do what the perk says it does.

Nope. It does exactly that. It increases the damage against wood blocks and allows you to one shot all the blocks that are made of plain wood (1 upgrade), which is present in a lot of POI. You also do increased damage to trees (yeah, with an axe, from a shotgun book bonus, lol). Now, with upgraded wood (2 upgrades from frame) it might not destroy the block. So that's what "most" means. Not all.

20 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

Nope. It does exactly that. It increases the damage against wood blocks and allows you to one shot all the blocks that are made of plain wood (1 upgrade), which is present in a lot of POI. You also do increased damage to trees (yeah, with an axe, from a shotgun book bonus, lol). Now, with upgraded wood (2 upgrades from frame) it might not destroy the block. So that's what "most" means. Not all.

Still means it is going to need to be revisited because, if it functions the way you say it does, then it will one shot no wood blocks after the change is implemented. Even fixing the set bonus description so it won't be a lie post implementation of the change is a revisiting.

4 hours ago, Blake_ said:

I expected RWG not to be fully finished in a20 because new POIs are constantly being added, so I guess it's a constant WIP until gold, isn't it?

BTW, I know this question might sound too sexy to handle, but have you engaged in one meter holes lately?

I mean, with all the art team in the frying pan, do you plan on tackle stuff like wandering sleepers and/or water in or during a20? I know you are always needed for shaders, AI, optimizations and the like, but I was quite impressed that you were talking about point 18 of the feature list like it was nothing when it actually takes some "hard workers" to get it done, as Jen would say.

All of those things have been pushed to A21 according to the first page.

9 hours ago, Survager said:

@faatal In truth, one thing that bothers me the most now, at 19 Alpha, is that explosion damage goes through walls, even if it doesn't destroy them. So Demolisher, when exploding, can destroy with his explosion everything that is behind the steel wall (relays, switches, etc.), while the wall does not collapse.

Is this a game bug or is this the way it should work?

Yeah, I know it's not a solution for everyone, but first thing I do is mod out the demolishers, before I start playing. So many things that just screams, cheap fix to something we can't be bothered to fix, about it. 

On 6/29/2021 at 10:09 PM, hiemfire said:

I may have missed if this has been brought up and responded to previously, but are you planning on revisiting the set bonus for the Shotgun Messiah magazine series with the removal of downgrading blocks? Being able to inadvertently drop a poi on your own head while fighting sleepers thanks to stray pellets seems less like a bonus and more like a liability. Having someone else willfully do so out of spiteful glee on a pve server is also something that should be considered.

the developers play with spears and brass knuckles, not with shotguns, so I guess not

I saw yesterday that Night of the Dead introduced electrical traps, including a couple of kinetic traps I've wished for in 7d2d since alpha 16, literally, and something that has always been a pet peeve of my for their lack in 7d2d: AND, OR and XOR gates. I've grudgingly accepted no new electrical traps, but I still dearly want some of that gating and I hope this might be revisited before going gold.

Chained triggers are equivalent to an OR gate, but there is no OR gate for switches. Triggers with relays between them and switches are equivalent to an AND gate. There's no equivalent to a XOR gate, or a NOT, and that severely limits what can be done. 

17 hours ago, hiemfire said:

Still means it is going to need to be revisited because, if it functions the way you say it does, then it will one shot no wood blocks after the change is implemented. Even fixing the set bonus description so it won't be a lie post implementation of the change is a revisiting.

It really depends on how they implemented this feature.  If the perk just adds bonus damage against wooden blocks, then increasing the HP of the block would balance it out.  If it checks to see if the block is wooden and completely destroys it, then that will require a completely different approach.  We do know, based on MadMole's comments, that they will be balancing out the durability of the blocks when they introduce the new destruction mechanics.

8 hours ago, bachgaman said:

the developers play with spears and brass knuckles, not with shotguns, so I guess not

The developers play with everything, not sure where this comment came from or its intent.