A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

58 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

Does the game know it is your base?  I.e. was there a sleeping bag laid down and active in your base when you took the quest?

Within the bounds of the claim block, not sure about the sleeping bag though, I happened to have the claim block bounds shown at the time.

5 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Well probably game just doesn't know about you base in this place , this is not a bug or feature just rng

This is the question.  Should the supplies be buried within a claim block?  The green bar in the background is how far the claim block extends from the central keep.

One side of the argument says that if it was buried within the untouched dirt below the farm blocks then there's a strong possbility that the character has just missed it and been unlucky.

The other side of the argument is that removing a random dirt block from a player's base can, if they're very unlucky, cause a failure in structural integrity.  I lost two seedlings to this very issue while digging it out.

Edited by The Gronk (see edit history)

1 minute ago, The Gronk said:

This is the question.  Should the supplies be buried within a claim block?

One side of the argument says that if it was buried within the untouched dirt below the farm blocks then there's a strong possbility that the character has just missed it and been unlucky.

The other side of the argument is that removing a random dirt block from a player's base can, if they're very unlucky, cause a failure in structural integrity.  I lost two seedlings to this very issue while digging it out.

well this is even kinda logic - hear about guy who buried a gold in places when someone opened a shop XD so yeah this is nothing wrong and it it have 0,000000001% to have similiar sitation so better left as it is

4 hours ago, The Gronk said:

Quick question:

A "buried supplies" mission spawning inside of my base.  Is that a bug or a feature? 

Do you want me to file a bug report?

File it as a bug report and the QA guys will let you know if it is a bug or not.

QA vets bugs for the developers. Developers don't vet bugs for QA.

8 minutes ago, Roland said:

File it as a bug report and the QA guys will let you know if it is a bug or not.

QA vets bugs for the developers. Developers don't vet bugs for QA.

Where am I posting this?  The latest bug-reporting thread is surprisingly well hidden.

23 minutes ago, The Gronk said:

Here's a screenshot of the incident...

Reveal hidden contents

supplies_buried_in_my_base.png

Looks like a bug to me. I'd report it. Go to https://community.7daystodie.com/bug-test-1/  look at the the MUST READ information at the top (https://community.7daystodie.com/bug-test-1/bug-pool/before-you-post-a-report-r929/) for information on how to search the Known Issues list and the report format, then submit a new report (if it is not on the Known Issues list). 

29 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Well probably game just doesn't know about you base in this place , this is not a bug or feature just rng

Not true. Bedrolls, at the very least, can prevent quests from being offered at nearby prefabs and can prevent them from being started if the bedroll was placed after getting the quest. LCB might well be also considered, and Buried Supplies quest try to avoid placement overlapping existing prefabs and steep hills, so it's not a simple matter of "it happens". It might be a matter of "working as intended".

4 minutes ago, dcsobral said:

Looks like a bug to me. I'd report it. Go to https://community.7daystodie.com/bug-test-1/  look at the the MUST READ information at the top (https://community.7daystodie.com/bug-test-1/bug-pool/before-you-post-a-report-r929/) for information on how to search the Known Issues list and the report format, then submit a new report (if it is not on the Known Issues list). 

Not true. Bedrolls, at the very least, can prevent quests from being offered at nearby prefabs and can prevent them from being started if the bedroll was placed after getting the quest. LCB might well be also considered, and Buried Supplies quest try to avoid placement overlapping existing prefabs and steep hills, so it's not a simple matter of "it happens". It might be a matter of "working as intended".

Well  for example  bedroll make a maybe  20x20  zone ok?  his base is 40x40  blocks so half of you base is not a base from game point 

On 6/21/2021 at 12:03 AM, Blake_ said:

[...]current locked AND closed AND planked AND reinforced doors (except the rare vault one) are just what, 1200 hp  with all the swaps?. And breaking them is common for players with or without the "brass door knob" book. I'm just saying, making them pickable doesn't change a thing. Why? because it takes couple of minutes to break with a stone axe or a couple of minutes to pick open with 50 lockpicks.

Yep, can confirm that.

And I have to say it is totally common for me to go through walls (mostly I even break the wooden wall right next to the doors cause that's just 250hp in most cases).

In fact, only when this whole topic came up, it made me realize that all pois had a way you are suggested to take by design.

For the higher tier buildings it was obvious, but all those smaller town houses...I mostly enter them by breaking though a wall, or even jump on the roof and make my way down from there.

@devs/poi design artists:

Sorry for thinking too much out of the box in your fully destructible sandbox voxel game.

Now that I have have been smarted up by Roland, I will of course behave bravely and get stuck to the predetermined paths.

...not...hehe...😉

48 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Well  for example  bedroll make a maybe  20x20  zone ok?  his base is 40x40  blocks so half of you base is not a base from game point 

I spoke of bedrolls because I know what their influence on POI-quests is for sure. But LCB also has influence over game events, like preventing sleeper respawn and not overlapping with trader protection, so it might well have influence on POI-quests and buried supplies quests. I just can't guarantee it.

32 minutes ago, dcsobral said:

I spoke of bedrolls because I know what their influence on POI-quests is for sure. But LCB also has influence over game events, like preventing sleeper respawn and not overlapping with trader protection, so it might well have influence on POI-quests and buried supplies quests. I just can't guarantee it.

yeah but i had situation like - 10 blocks from my base was buried treasure in a18. so stuff can works

19 minutes ago, Gamida said:

20x20 is a quarter of 40x40.

i know , people doing sometime rly rly rly big bases 

2 hours ago, The Gronk said:

Where am I posting this?  The latest bug-reporting thread is surprisingly well hidden.

Hidden? It is posted as a prominent green bar at the top of every page of the forum. If for some reason it isn't showing up  (maybe due to ad blockers) you can get to it by clicking on the +Create menu next to your name in the top right corner of the webpage

On 6/18/2021 at 10:07 PM, Khalagar said:

Speaking of vehicle changes, are there any changes to the Bicycle planned? It's pretty counter intuitive ATM and it seems like most people don't actually know how to ride it properly. Instead of holding W and letting off Shift to regain stamina between speed bursts while pedaling, you hold Shift and just pulse press W every 2-4 seconds depending on your stamina regen.

If you hold Shift and let off W you maintain your speed FAR longer than if you hold W and let off shift, it's just kind of a wonky experience all around, and with so much focus being shifted to the primitive stage, the bicycle getting a bit of QoL love might be warranted imo

Edit: Actually just tested and even the 4x4 behaves the same way. If you hold Shift and let off W you will go WAY further than if you hold W and let off Shift. Letting off shift basically instantly brakes the car and slows you down, holding shift and letting off W lets you coast for a bit

The motorcycle works that way as well.

On 6/2/2021 at 8:58 AM, HeLLKnight said:

What if we make AMD to hear us? please take a second to ask AMD to add FSR to 7 Days to Die, so they will contact with Faatal or will make an Unity plugin for both HDRP and URP :) just did it one minute ago.

https://explore.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-software-fidelityfx-super-resolution/survey

AMD FidelityFX would be awesome. 😀

On 6/21/2021 at 3:57 AM, Outlaw_187 said:

A while back I suggested maybe they could put in a generic looking zombie. 

Maybe a few variations of them but just something to greater populate certain areas like cities or whatever. 

They would have pretty low HP but their numbers is the true threat....just like in most zombie movies. 

Id like to see that, i like that idea too. If there were a way to deploy dozens of generic zombies that dont cost too much processing power that would be a big win. Trouble is making them cheap to run i imagine. TFP could possibly get away with stripping a lot of the intelligence and just leaving them out as dumb zombies that are easy to take advantage of and exploit. I'd love to have thicker zombie hordes with easy to kill zeds mixed in with the regular ones. 

8 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

With the city size selector being added into the RWG configurable options in A19, hopefully if the player sets town size (or city count) to the max they would be able to have one of each type of skyscraper on that given world.

Yep, I honestly just want one gigantic city at this point, where it's basically just a gigantic city biome with each trader spread throughout the city and 1 or 2 of every PoI scattered in it. Since there isn't a Junk Teleporter (hint hint hint) you basically HAVE to build your base next to a trader for easy questing and selling, so you just pick the biggest city you can find and call it good enough.

I literally never ever ever see the big Skyscrapper T5 or the construction site jump puzzle t4, I've seen each like 2 or 3 times max in nearly 700 hours. They just don't seem to ever spawn. I saw the new (I assume?) Grocery store T4 for the first time in my current run too.  Basically all I see end game is the 6 Story Apartment, Shotgun Messiah, and Shamway. I see the hospital like once every few playthroughs but it doesn't seem to spawn in forest biome

There's a ton of PoI that don't even seem to be part of the quests at all, I encounter them while driving around but never ever have quests to go investigate them. Ones like the Post Office / town hall-ish building, school, fire stations etc I don't think I've ever had a quest to go clear. But don't worry, I get Waterworks like 984 times per playthrough and even when I drive to every trader I've met, they all REALLY want the Waterworks building cleared again . . .

Edit: What the heck, I just looked on Google and there are two Tier 5's that I've still never even seen a single time after dozens of playthroughs??

Skyscraper_01 (Dishong tower), Skyscraper_02 and Skyscraper_03 (these are Higashi and Crack-a-book tower)

I've seen Dishong like 2 times total, and never seen Higashi or Crack a book tower and had to google them to see that they are actually real. What's the point of doing all the work to make those assets and level design if they just flat out don't spawn?

Edited by Khalagar (see edit history)

17 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

Yep, I honestly just want one gigantic city at this point, where it's basically just a gigantic city biome with each trader spread throughout the city and 1 or 2 of every PoI scattered in it. Since there isn't a Junk Teleporter (hint hint hint) you basically HAVE to build your base next to a trader for easy questing and selling, so you just pick the biggest city you can find and call it good enough.

I literally never ever ever see the big Skyscrapper T5 or the construction site jump puzzle t4, I've seen each like 2 or 3 times max in nearly 700 hours. They just don't seem to ever spawn. I saw the new (I assume?) Grocery store T4 for the first time in my current run too.  Basically all I see end game is the 6 Story Apartment, Shotgun Messiah, and Shamway. I see the hospital like once every few playthroughs but it doesn't seem to spawn in forest biome

There's a ton of PoI that don't even seem to be part of the quests at all, I encounter them while driving around but never ever have quests to go investigate them. Ones like the Post Office / town hall-ish building, school, fire stations etc I don't think I've ever had a quest to go clear. But don't worry, I get Waterworks like 984 times per playthrough and even when I drive to every trader I've met, they all REALLY want the Waterworks building cleared again . . .

Edit: What the heck, I just looked on Google and there are two Tier 5's that I've still never even seen a single time after dozens of playthroughs??

Skyscraper_01 (Dishong tower), Skyscraper_02 and Skyscraper_03 (these are Higashi and Crack-a-book tower)

I've seen Dishong like 2 times total, and never seen Higashi or Crack a book tower and had to google them to see that they are actually real. What's the point of doing all the work to make those assets and level design if they just flat out don't spawn?

It's rare for a map to have more than two skyscrapers total, so you often won't get quests for skyscrapers just because they aren't at the proper distance to the trader.  That said, you have been unlucky or inattentive to have never seen the Crack a Book skyscraper -- it is the most common skyscraper on the maps, because it has the smallest area. Check the following spreadsheets for seeds; you can mouse over the columns to see what is present and in what quantity, so mouse over the Tower column for a seed and you'll see which skyscrapers it has:

Size 8192: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B81oC76h1QFWQ4l3hSyO4VJxAuIDjL1FxOqXWenOHB0/edit?usp=sharing

Size 4196: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12FyS0x9HtjhoKQZCzrtL91zGzIetNn5j2R3ruTyYo_o/edit?usp=sharing

They were posted to the Alpha 19 Seed thread that is pinned under General Discussions. You'll see, for example, that the 4096 seed WilledChoirmasters has both a Higashi and a Crack a Book skyscraper.

8 hours ago, Khalagar said:

Also, if you play the navezgane map, there was a bug where the player would never get any quests in the town where all of the skyscrapers were located.

This was fixed but don't recall if in A19 or A20.  Will go look.

15 hours ago, bloodmoth13 said:

Id like to see that, i like that idea too. If there were a way to deploy dozens of generic zombies that dont cost too much processing power that would be a big win. Trouble is making them cheap to run i imagine. TFP could possibly get away with stripping a lot of the intelligence and just leaving them out as dumb zombies that are easy to take advantage of and exploit. I'd love to have thicker zombie hordes with easy to kill zeds mixed in with the regular ones. 

Faatal once said he was looking into the possibility of making a light-weight data structure for zombies to replace the unity-built in data structure. Until now nothing came of it. Guess it isn't as easy as drawing them with less features 😉

The reason very few zombies are on the streets is not that TFP wants it that way, it is because of performance. Until they can actually spawn a zombie with less CPU cycles used or lift minimum requirements the most anyone can hope for is a config setting with a warning sign that it costs performance. And I would rate the chance for that option coming to the game as actually pretty high (if it wasn't even already announced?).

19 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Also, if you play the navezgane map, there was a bug where the player would never get any quests in the town where all of the skyscrapers were located.

This was fixed but don't recall if in A19 or A20.  Will go look.

I recall one such bug related to quest distance. It was A19 and it was fixed. Allegedly. 

• Crater Creator changed the title to A20 Developer Diary Discussions
  • Roland unpinned this topic