A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

9 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Well but there a chance that your another game will be on UE5? And more theoretical question : Random Character Generator similar to L4D2 woudn't works on Unity but do you think it could work on UE5? Well ofc i don't suggest to change engine only for that but it could be good step forward in 7DTD 2 . In l4d1 one base zombie have 64 variants, updated 320 but L4D1 Common Infected Overhaul    created by Skessler make a system allowing have 286.720 variants of single type of zombie. And this diffrence can be see easly. I know 7dtd don't need so much variants but even 100 could be rly good. Well make a sandbox on Source 2 could be impossible  ( gmod is more static that 7dtd or conan)

@Matt115 it really doesn't depend as much on the engine as it depends on the actual development and decisions of the game developers.

Game engines can give a lot of advantages in supplying a lot of utilities and some "shortcuts", that the developer can choose to use or not.

If the game engine doesn't support a specific feature, it can always be added by the developers, either through plugins or by writing the code themselves.

This is also very true for a "random character generator". It is a concept that is independent of game engine, but will of course need to be written in the programming language for the game engine.

And if the developers are more used to C# instead of C++, then it would be more suited to use Unity or Godot.

In the end, it's better to use the engine that the developers feel is better suited for the project rather than choosing an engine, where a new programming language needs to be learned.

18 minutes ago, SwineDK said:

@Matt115 it really doesn't depend as much on the engine as it depends on the actual development and decisions of the game developers.

Game engines can give a lot of advantages in supplying a lot of utilities and some "shortcuts", that the developer can choose to use or not.

If the game engine doesn't support a specific feature, it can always be added by the developers, either through plugins or by writing the code themselves.

This is also very true for a "random character generator". It is a concept that is independent of game engine, but will of course need to be written in the programming language for the game engine.

And if the developers are more used to C# instead of C++, then it would be more suited to use Unity or Godot.

In the end, it's better to use the engine that the developers feel is better suited for the project rather than choosing an engine, where a new programming language needs to be learned.

I can and i can't agree :  i was watching talk of some devs of one studio - they had a problem with some functions like realistic looking plants - in sequel they decide to use another engine and it was easier .  Well ofc decisions are important but for example - old engines of serious sam support 100 enemies per time , in cod zombie you could have 32 zombie one time but in cod bocw you can have more of them etc .  In l4d2 they used so tricks with shaders to make a new variants without bugs and 30 fps. But now it have generate more variants . I think about something like - okay we have a zombie girl -  put 20 head , 10 types of hairs , 10 t- shirts ( + 20 colours) ,10 pants , 5 shoes , 4 backpacks -  8 000 000 combinations + random dirt and blood + diffrent wound . Some head can be reused and hairs , shoes can be used for zombie shop owner and casual , backpack can have student or zombie survivor .

And on some engines it can works good and on some of them they can just spend year without making it good

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)

1 minute ago, Matt115 said:

I can and i can't agree :  i was watching talk of some devs of one studio - they had a problem with some functions like realistic looking plants - in sequel they decide to use another engine and it was easier .  Well ofc decisions are important but for example - old engines of serious sam support 100 enemies per time , in cod zombie you could have 32 zombie one time but in cod bocw you can have more of them etc .  In l4d2 they used so tricks with shaders to make a new variants without bugs and 30 fps. But now it have generate more variants . I think about something like - okay we have a zombie girl -  put 20 head , 10 types of hairs , 10 t- shirts ( + 20 colours) ,10 pants , 5 shoes , 4 backpacks -  8 000 000 combinations + random dirt and blood + diffrent wound . Some head can be reused and hairs , shoes can be used for zombie shop owner and casual , backpack can have student or zombie survivor 

Regarding graphics, you are absolutely right that this is highly dependent, out of the box, on the engine. But if you have very skilled graphics artists and utilize physics based rendering and setup shaders to make it look realistic, then you can get realistic graphics with the same result in Unreal and Unity.

This is related to how the engines talk to graphics cards on a "low level" and what features of the graphics cards, that the engines choose to utilize. But in regards to Unreal and Unity, there's not much difference if you have skilled developers.

It is definitely possible to do what you want with all the different types of heads, hair, clothing, body-parts and all that.. But somebody have to make all these parts first and make sure that they look good. This is very time consuming and needs some artists to work full time on for many months. And it also requires coding the generator to build these zombies as well as quite a lot of networking code to make it work in multiplayer games.

So it might be a great project for the next game for The Fun Pimps :)

12 minutes ago, SwineDK said:

Regarding graphics, you are absolutely right that this is highly dependent, out of the box, on the engine. But if you have very skilled graphics artists and utilize physics based rendering and setup shaders to make it look realistic, then you can get realistic graphics with the same result in Unreal and Unity.

This is related to how the engines talk to graphics cards on a "low level" and what features of the graphics cards, that the engines choose to utilize. But in regards to Unreal and Unity, there's not much difference if you have skilled developers.

It is definitely possible to do what you want with all the different types of heads, hair, clothing, body-parts and all that.. But somebody have to make all these parts first and make sure that they look good. This is very time consuming and needs some artists to work full time on for many months. And it also requires coding the generator to build these zombies as well as quite a lot of networking code to make it work in multiplayer games.

So it might be a great project for the next game for The Fun Pimps :)

Well i know about that it need time to make one head, another and another head etc  Big  problem is that 7dtd is "old game" so they must keep support  card from 2013 . But when they started another game they will have more options etc. But Unreal and Unity have big diffrence people saying - well source is like a car from 2005 and Both UN are 2021 but they have diffrences like Mercedes and Volkswagen you know what i mean

5 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

That will never happen :D

7DTD gang!

What if TFP make a they own post apo in Fallout style - like you are Duke'lietenant and you are trying to keep you mobs on top of the hill fighting with anothers mobsters , zombies , renegade special forces mutants etc O.o

2 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

TODAY IM GOING TO DO WHAT NO MAN HAS DONE BEFORE!

SOMETHING THAT WOULD MAKE SNOWDOGS FEET TINGLE IN FEAR!

IM GOING TO PLAY 7DTD PC, on my Xbox SXS!
Unlimited Power GIFs | Tenor

..... okay ....  even  Geneva Convent don't have anything about such crime

7 minutes ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Why does this thread periodically get trimmed?

Are their subjects that are not permitted?

Because this is the dev diary about alpha 20, not a wishlist and random musings of arbitrary people. If it weren't trimmed then people wishing to learn more about alpha 20 would have to read through hundreds of pages of rambling unrelated to what's actually in alpha 20. 

Messages that do not belong here get moved to a more adequate place.

11 minutes ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Why does this thread periodically get trimmed?

Are their subjects that are not permitted?

Because all the BS off topic stuff gets moved to dev diary discussion in general section.. Like this post of mine will be.

6 minutes ago, dcsobral said:

Because this is the dev diary about alpha 20, not a wishlist and random musings of arbitrary people. If it weren't trimmed then people wishing to learn more about alpha 20 would have to read through hundreds of pages of rambling unrelated to what's actually in alpha 20. 

Messages that do not belong here get moved to a more adequate place.

Well it was sometimes  about technical stuff here if something can or not work like fixing water. 

About corpses : ok first page  

12) New POI's and Environment Art

• New Gas Station (shown to reveal Restore Power Quest
  • Over 100 new POI's and many new props and environmental decorations

Corpses are props and environmental decorations probably they added them into A20. So this question fit here in my opinion

1 minute ago, SnowDog1942 said:

Because of people like me saying ——

BOOBS!!!!!!!!&!&!&!!!

i replied to wrong post i think, cool.

Well better have a 7dtd full version from 2025 ( thx CPT Markis for that! watch out in your timetravels) that booobs XD

On 4/3/2021 at 9:42 AM, Mike06 said:

18) Digging Quest Improvements = 0 IMHO NPC quests are booooooooooooooring, but I guess some ppl seem to like  them and others can just ignore them. Unlike the NPC vendors them ruin the survival aspect and balance if you ignore them.  

The digging quests are only lvl 1 and 2 quests.  They do provide to much food for the amount of work and could use to be re-worked though.  The traders have to much inventory, they need to start with only a few items and then get better as you set up trade lines.  These could then get hit by bandits, just hopefully not Preston Garvey style.

5 hours ago, stoggy said:

The digging quests are only lvl 1 and 2 quests.  They do provide to much food for the amount of work and could use to be re-worked though.  The traders have to much inventory, they need to start with only a few items and then get better as you set up trade lines.  These could then get hit by bandits, just hopefully not Preston Garvey style.

Hopefully it all gets better in A20 since those are listed items.

10) Trader to Trader progression

• Details Coming

11) Loot Progression and Gamestaging Improvements

• Details Coming

1 hour ago, Adam the Waster said:

@faatal

Do you think Alarms will ever make "Heat" because its kind strange that Zombies are lured but rocks being thrown, Crackling of a Camp fire, Gunfire, hitting metal, forge crafting, explosives, FOOT STEPS, cars and Screamer zombies

but a Alarm that is SUPER loud... does not...

So what im saying is, do you think we will get better alarms to lure the horde? 

Well i hope it should be : well if going barefoot zombie shoudn't hear walking