Jump to content

Developer Diary Discussions


Roland

Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, Roland said:

 

In regards to what is in the new shape menu, here is a reference that comes close...

 

My God, It's Full of Stars | Riding the Catskills

 

Kudos to @schwanz9000 for the many hours of work. You guys are all going to be blown away. Trust me.

2001 shapes confirmed on alpha 20! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Well i agrea with you but there is a big mess with mods. Ofc some mods can be " lore friendly" or " zombie shrek".  So it is necceasary in my opinion to create ideas what can be working. Or we will get another enemy terriroty - game killed by stupid mods like pony  with hm " purple long" guns xd . Most mods  create for 7dtd in my opinion looks terrible - Snufkin's Custom Server Side Zombies - PLUS         weell zombies looks like something like from asset game for 1 EURO on steam. Ofc some of them like vehicle madness mod looks "setting good" even could be added as offical updated ( like stuff from antibirth mod into biding of issac). What is my point? For example i can't do anything no programming , no making modesl - well i'm worthless  i know about that XD so i trying to create some ideas. TFP will use it? good. Moders will use it?  good. just i don't only complain about 1243523431 hatsune miku zombies

I mean, yeah of course meme mods are going to break immersion and would never ever be added to the vanilla game.

i’m talking more about quality mods that are genuine expansions of the game that represent distinctly different ideas for what the game should be. Just because fans want something doesn’t mean adding it to the game is a good idea, especially if it’s just going to be thrown in and not properly integrated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Roland said:

 

There are always exceptions to rule of course and even TFP took a lot of player feedback earlier in the development cycle. But the game is nearly done now and they have their list of tasks needed to get it done and they are not looking to add to that list. If you wanted to add a revolutionary idea and have it take fire in the minds of the developers your a few years too late.

 

Get on the ground floor for their next game.

I know so i'm trying to focus on something what can be added as expanded  ( new type of npc focused on giving quests) or small thing ( more types of corpes, new zombie variants or more broken cars like destroyed military jeep or riot truck

2 minutes ago, ShellHead said:

I mean, yeah of course meme mods are going to break immersion and would never ever be added to the vanilla game.

i’m talking more about quality mods that are genuine expansions of the game that represent distinctly different ideas for what the game should be. Just because fans want something doesn’t mean adding it to the game is a good idea, especially if it’s just going to be thrown in and not properly integrated.

Yeah but there is a lot of meme mods in here maybe 90% of them , on skyrim or l4d2 too  so i hate a argument that moders can add something so it is not neccesary

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dcsobral said:

Honestly, scrap iron is pretty useless in a19.

 

Also, let's be realistic. Reinforced Wood and Metal Reinforced Wood are extremely rare. If people want durability they go with Flagstone, if not t

 

thats cuz we could not really uses it in the upgrade path.

and... yeah reinforced wood with metal was useless! 

 

59 minutes ago, Roland said:

 

In regards to what is in the new shape menu, here is a reference that comes close...

 

My God, It's Full of Stars | Riding the Catskills

 

Kudos to @schwanz9000 for the many hours of work. You guys are all going to be blown away. Trust me.

i don't get the pic but if there is alot then COOL!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Yeah but there is a lot of meme mods in here maybe 90% of them , on skyrim or l4d2 too  so i hate a argument that moders can add something so it is not neccesary

I completely agree, modders shouldn’t be relied on (not that i think this is in any way the case here, i mean in general terms), they can bring in new and interesting ideas but they’re doing this for fun and to make the game fit their own idea of what it should be, so everything they add has to be taken with a substantial grain of salt. They are not developers and they aren’t in the actual dev’s heads so they don’t know what the devs are actually going for. If modders want their ideas considered for integration into the base game, they have to put the effort into trying to understand what the devs are trying to do with the game and add something that would genuinely help them, obviously you don’t have to be psychic but you should at least try to meet the devs where they’re at.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, SnowDog1942 said:


Yea I just cant imagine the build path simplifying being good, I think even concrete / reinforced concrete was merged into one.

 

Doesnt matter what we say they tho are hell bent on simplifying. 

 

image.thumb.png.44a88478cb8f4e33d42f76b8b43abc41.png


^^^^ This is what Madmole mentioned several pages back. Honestly, I can't wait for it to be implemented.  Having that many block upgrades certainly didn't add to the fun for me.  Here's what the man himself had to say to those who think he's ruining the game: 

image.thumb.png.16ee327cddd9c28a13921ffbcf2021a8.png
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ShellHead said:

I completely agree, modders shouldn’t be relied on (not that i think this is in any way the case here, i mean in general terms), they can bring in new and interesting ideas but they’re doing this for fun and to make the game fit their own idea of what it should be, so everything they add has to be taken with a substantial grain of salt. They are not developers and they aren’t in the actual dev’s heads so they don’t know what the devs are actually going for. If modders want their ideas considered for integration into the base game, they have to put the effort into trying to understand what the devs are trying to do with the game and add something that would genuinely help them, obviously you don’t have to be psychic but you should at least try to meet the devs where they’re at.

So that why i'm writing about my ideas

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ssrjazz said:

 

image.thumb.png.44a88478cb8f4e33d42f76b8b43abc41.png


^^^^ This is what Madmole mentioned several pages back. Honestly, I can't wait for it to be implemented.  Having that many block upgrades certainly didn't add to the fun for me.  Here's what the man himself had to say to those who think he's ruining the game: 

image.thumb.png.16ee327cddd9c28a13921ffbcf2021a8.png
 

well. if we still get to have the Paintable parts, ill be happy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, you’ve been doing a good job with that.

I meant in a general sense, for anyone who wants help development of the games they love.

that’s what i tried to do with my suggestion as well.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Adam the Waster said:

well. if we still get to have the Paintable parts, ill be happy

 

I seem to remember a paint/texture discussion somewhere in this A20 diary thread too.  I don't recall any discussion of it being taken away.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Roland said:

 

In regards to what is in the new shape menu, here is a reference that comes close...

 

My God, It's Full of Stars | Riding the Catskills

 

Kudos to @schwanz9000 for the many hours of work. You guys are all going to be blown away. Trust me.


Too may shapes, need to simplify down to 3.

  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Roland said:

 

In regards to what is in the new shape menu, here is a reference that comes close...

 

My God, It's Full of Stars | Riding the Catskills

 

Kudos to @schwanz9000 for the many hours of work. You guys are all going to be blown away. Trust me.

"My God, It's full of stars..."

 

Star shapes confirmed for A20

 

...Also, I think this debate about the upgrade path is much ado about nothing. So long as TFP keep the ability to upgrade and downgrade blocks in the game, it will be very easy to mod in whatever upgrade path you like.

 

And, that's probably how it should be, because one person's "complexity" is another person's pain in the ass.

 

For example, I personally would like it if the game favored upgrading existing locations rather than building your own structures. This would make horde nights more of an exercise in creatively working with whatever you have, and not about finding different ways to cheese the AI. That can be done by making the upgrade path easier than building from scratch.

 

But this would totally mess with the "tower defense" aspect of the game, so probably 90% of players would hate it. I would put it in a mod, where it belongs.

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Removing the downgrading is good. Removing the upgrading is bad and inconvenient. Because of physics. Now you risk losing your base by destroying the wrong replacement block, especially in POIs that love to be destroyed for unknown reasons like this

 

Edited by bachgaman (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, bachgaman said:

Removing the downgrading is good.

 

I completely disagree, and even if TFP decide not to use it, I hope they keep the ability to downgrade blocks in the game.

 

In my case, it's because I would like block degradation to be more "realistic." Instead of disappearing, blocks that are destroyed would downgrade to damaged versions. For instance, a destroyed wood block wouldn't downgrade to a wood frame, it would downgrade to one of the "destroyed" wood blocks. I mean, those destroyed versions had to come from somewhere.

 

Obviously this is better as a mod, but if TFP remove even that ability, then it would be impractical to even mod that in.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, khzmusik said:

In my case, it's because I would like block degradation to be more "realistic." Instead of disappearing, blocks that are destroyed would downgrade to damaged versions. For instance, a destroyed wood block wouldn't downgrade to a wood frame, it would downgrade to one of the "destroyed" wood blocks

 

It would be cool. Not downgrading, but a chance to get a destroyed version (not a pile of rubbish as it is now). But disappearing is better than downgrading. In the end, in any case, some block must unrealistically disappear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, ssrjazz said:

 

image.thumb.png.44a88478cb8f4e33d42f76b8b43abc41.png


^^^^ This is what Madmole mentioned several pages back. Honestly, I can't wait for it to be implemented.  Having that many block upgrades certainly didn't add to the fun for me.  Here's what the man himself had to say to those who think he's ruining the game: 

image.thumb.png.16ee327cddd9c28a13921ffbcf2021a8.png
 

what the ... Yeez  upgrading was a so good source of exp and well it was nice feeling to spend 3 days only on cutting trees harvesting stuff and melt a iron .  1 wall was 2-3 lvl usually and 6 hours of play to make it on R concerte block + spikes etc. this will make upgrading less sens

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, bachgaman said:

Removing the downgrading is good. Removing the upgrading is bad and inconvenient. Because of physics. Now you risk losing your base by destroying the wrong replacement block, especially in POIs that love to be destroyed for unknown reasons like this

 

 

Part of the block upgrade overhaul has been to look closely at the SI calculations to make sure upgrading a block does not cause an entire base to crumble. There are a lot of improvements to building that have not specifically been mentioned but should definitely improve quality of life for builders. I'm sure once it is all ready to be shown in a future dev stream most fears and concerns will be allayed.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm also fine with the upgrade changes. And especially the downgrade changes. It was always dumb to see a block cracked to hell, only for it to magically turn into a new block when destroyed.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Roland said:

here is a reference that comes close...

 

Not only stars, but hearts moons, horseshoes, balloons, clovers, rainbows and yellow things.....

 

Lucky Charms (1964) - YouTube

 

 

 

-Morloc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...