A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

21 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

i don't think a sea World is in Arizona lol

i would even be fine if it looked like a bullshark bit it looks like a great white! 

They don't, but they have other similar aquarium park attractions.

I don't think they should stick to this Arizona thing. I mean, if Navezgane is in Arizona, that fine... but, random gen should be no limitations. I say this mainly because of the snow biome. They are adding biome density sliders, so you could have a massive snow biome. This is clearly not at all like Arizona. That said, random gen worlds could be next to oceans, and then there could be sharks.

1 minute ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

They don't, but they have other similar aquarium park attractions.

I don't think they should stick to this Arizona thing. I mean, if Navezgane is in Arizona, that fine... but, random gen should be no limitations. I say this mainly because of the snow biome. They are adding biome density sliders, so you could have a massive snow biome. This is clearly not at all like Arizona. That said, random gen worlds could be next to oceans, and then there could be sharks.

ture. alright!

im all for it!

#Addsharky

1 hour ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

SeaWorld POI?

Well it can work like Dam , flooded house etc.  Did anyone know if dam or airport wiil be too big POI for engine?

32 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

ture. alright!

im all for it!

#Addsharky

It's remands me NZA 4 <badmemories so intensive >.  Better to add crocodile with swamps !

#ANOTHERANIMAL-CROCODILE.  #CROCODILE.OURANIMAL!

13 hours ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

Could someone summarize what the "Wandering Sleepers" are (as listed in the A20/21 roadmap)?
... or direct me to where it was talked about, please.

I must have missed discussion about it, and I tried searching but couldn't find mention of it.

You'll see a zombie in a corner. Blink and it'll be gone. It probably teleported behind you. Feeling its cold dead breath on the back of your neck, you swing your head and shoulders around and... nothing. It teleported as a sleeper somewhere else in the POI.

Jimmy will be the worst. He's one of the businessmen in the Dishong Tower. Every time you get close to him, he'll teleport to another floor as a sleeper. You'll never be able to kill him, and thus a many a Clear quests will be wasted for inexperienced players.

Jimmy follows you home as well. He'll be watching you sleeping, taking a shower, eating breakfast, defending your base against the horde. Jimmy will be everywhere.

In Pimps We Trust. ;) 

13 hours ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

Could someone summarize what the "Wandering Sleepers" are (as listed in the A20/21 roadmap)?
... or direct me to where it was talked about, please.

I must have missed discussion about it, and I tried searching but couldn't find mention of it.

Okay do you played in L4D2? Their is a witch zombie . She just going around and crying. Wandering Sleepers propably will work similiar - go radomly and ignore you if you are far from them

4 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

You'll see a zombie in a corner. Blink and it'll be gone. It probably teleported behind you. Feeling its cold dead breath on the back of your neck, you swing your head and shoulders around and... nothing. It teleported as a sleeper somewhere else in the POI.

Jimmy will be the worst. He's one of the businessmen in the Dishong Tower. Every time you get close to him, he'll teleport to another floor as a sleeper. You'll never be able to kill him, and thus a many a Clear quests will be wasted for inexperienced players.

Jimmy follows you home as well. He'll be watching you sleeping, taking a shower, eating breakfast, defending your base against the horde. Jimmy will be everywhere.

In Pimps We Trust. ;) 

It sound like 7dtd crossover with dr.who XD

11 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

Why is their a Shark model! the base game is set in Arizona. AKA a place with no ocean! a Gator would make sense but why is the shark not being uses?

Because of sharknados.

Have you ever heard of a gatornado?

4 hours ago, ricp said:

Don't see the need for wandering sleepers, tbh. They will only impact on performance while providing very little in return. IMO, anyway.

If you don't have collision on, does that mean you can go into a house, build a set of new walls and have the zombies walking through them? Disabling the collision is sensible in terms of reducing the amount of processing they need to do but, on the flip side, to me it seems to be introducing more possible problems in regard to not much game play return (again, IMO).

Obvs, I have absolutely no insight into how the logic is working so perhaps it's an easier and less impactful addition than I am imagining it might be.

I think Faatal hinted a possible reason: "So enemies can wander around. Like bandits would move about. "

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

20 minutes ago, meganoth said:

I think Faatal gave a big hint for a possible reason: "So enemies can wander around. Like bandits would move about. "

I would have thought (keyword, 'thought') that bandits were dealt with differently from sleepers.

1 minute ago, bdubyah said:

I love this addition. Makes no sense that every zed in every house is just chilling in a closet or on the roof. I honestly hope the wandering sleepers become the most common.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea in any way. I'm not sure if they will have the impact your comment suggests though. A wandering sleeper is just the same as a wandering outside (non sleeper) zombie isn't it? So it'll just be like the doors have been left open and they've come wandering into the house.

While sleepers don't really offer much of a challenge, it's obviously fun dispatching them with one shot, a wanderer that is stuck in a loop (presumably until disturbed) isn't going to offer much more of a challenge either.

Who knows, it might be one of those subtle changes that when added you'll wonder why it wasn't implemented before now.

3 hours ago, ricp said:

I would have thought (keyword, 'thought') that bandits were dealt with differently from sleepers.

The routines implemented into zombie AI can be tested now and can surely benefit any NPC later.

I think Faatal pointed out at some time that there is just one AI, and I assume that AI works slightly different depending on the NPC. Even if that were not the case, a lot of code (like pathfinding, sensing) is identical or at least similar for every NPC and it would be madness to not share behaviour and functions as much as possible

3 hours ago, ricp said:

I'm not saying it's a bad idea in any way. I'm not sure if they will have the impact your comment suggests though. A wandering sleeper is just the same as a wandering outside (non sleeper) zombie isn't it? So it'll just be like the doors have been left open and they've come wandering into the house.

While sleepers don't really offer much of a challenge, it's obviously fun dispatching them with one shot, a wanderer that is stuck in a loop (presumably until disturbed) isn't going to offer much more of a challenge either.

Who knows, it might be one of those subtle changes that when added you'll wonder why it wasn't implemented before now.

Exactly. I can imagine that wandering zombies could be a nice challenge for bow-users and stealth players in general. No sitting duck and might wander near a stealthed player and notice him.

Zombie sharks don’t need to breath so they can swim upstream into fresh water.

As I said with the realistic water comment. Sharks would be fun to see but I do not see them having a meaningful game presence.

I would prefer the shark count go toward the walking zombie count instead of a zombie in a lake or on the coast that you likely will only see on rare occasions.

7 hours ago, ricp said:

Don't see the need for wandering sleepers, tbh. They will only impact on performance while providing very little in return. IMO, anyway.

As someone who uses stealth quite a lot - especially in early game - I can tell you that wandering "sleeper" zombies will definitely make things more difficult.

EDIT: Also, FWIW, sleeper volumes have always had an option for the zombies to spawn in awake. AFAICT it's just been ignored up until now. (And, I discovered this while trying to add custom NPCs that spawn in awake, so these changes will be very welcome to at least one modder. :) )

Edited by khzmusik (see edit history)

5 hours ago, ricp said:

Sleepers zombies are test for bandits like @meganoth saud. Zombie can do stupid things because.. they are zombies. But bandits need to be more "wise" so sleepers can something like "stupid" bandits + more challenge  and creepy effect like zombie attacking you from behind . If bandit jump from 4 ft bulding it will be stupid. But zombie? yeah this can be good. So i support this feature

OKAY guys. Shark , water poi etc are connected with water. For first the most important question. Can unity support a water in "terraria" style? like realistic moves, lakes can be "connected" with something like : if you blow up a dam water could flood some area. If yes - water animals , poi can have a some sense. If not well this ideas can't work good

7 hours ago, ricp said:

Exactly. If you can't see why that's a good change, then I don't know what to tell you. Everyone complained when they reduced wild zed counts and went to sleepers. This seems like about the best compromise.

spacer.png

So I'm looting this town in a new world I started to test out the new experimental build, climbed an antenna POI, and holy @%$#, I can see my house from here! (top left)

Not to mention, I've been running between 40-60 this whole time so far, even in the mine surrounded by torches and shiny things. Never had this kind of performance in this game (playing since 2013), even before I started running it in 4k. This is on a 2080, which is also noticeably cooler to the touch running the game now. I'm not joking about that last part, if I touched the IO on my card before this update running the game with the same settings for 15+ mins, it would be painful to hold my finger to it for more than a moment. Now, it only gets moderately warm even after playing for hours.

The devs really knocked it out of the park with A19.5, and I can't wait to see what other improvements are coming in A20. Speaking of which, are there any more performance changes in the pipe that the devs are willing to talk about?

Edited by Horatio Chachi (see edit history)

Just now, Horatio Chachi said:

spacer.png

So I'm looting this town in a new world I started to test out the new experimental build, climbed an antenna POI, and holy @%$#, I can see my house from here! (top left)

Not to mention, I've been running between 40-60 this whole time so far, even in the mine surrounded by torches. Never had this kind of performance in this game (playing since 2013), even before I started running it in 4k. This is on a 2080, which is also noticeably cooler to the touch running the game now. I'm not joking about that last part, if I touched the IO on my card before this update running the game with the same settings for 15+ mins, it would be painful to hold my finger there for more than a moment. Now, it only gets moderately warm even after playing for hours.

The devs really knocked it out of the park with A19.5, and I can't wait to see what other improvements are coming in A20. Speaking of which, are there any more performance changes in the pipe that the devs are willing to talk about?

my PC would go BOOM!

also here have a nightmare :D

Spoiler

63677848_NewProject(4).thumb.png.b89875627478c7c72de264abdb737acc.png

1 hour ago, Adam the Waster said:

my PC would go BOOM!

also here have a nightmare :D

Hide contents

63677848_NewProject(4).thumb.png.b89875627478c7c72de264abdb737acc.png

IT IS PERFECT FOR WEAK ZOMBIE IDEA! ADAM IT IS NIGHMARE FUEL BUT IN WANTED WAY .  IT IS SO WRONG SO I LOVE IT ! <DR. EVIL>

On 5/15/2021 at 7:45 AM, Gazz said:

Good call. Let me see.

Oh, look! It's apparently the most asked question, too!  Aaand... there we have our answer: 73.6 %.

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.31f2d2250205870cf3b2f523c9c37371.jpg

Well, of course, we will believe in the title of an ad-crowded yellow press site without reading the article, and not information from the Twitch ad cabinet.

After all, advertisers cannot verify this and sue. In addition, any genius (like you) understands that it is beneficial for twitch to underestimate the average age of its audience, because the less years the more money (higher purchasing power) (irony). Consequently, advertisers will pay more money to advertise for 16 year old millionaires.

Although why all these reflections. After all, on some yellow site they wrote that 73.54353% of statistics were faked ...

• Crater Creator changed the title to A20 Developer Diary Discussions
  • Roland unpinned this topic