A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

im still wonder how the new guns will work.

like madmole said that the lever action is the new marksman rifle, but it looks like a Prim weapon, or is their another one? if so, then what role will the hunting rifle serve? or will it be removed? and also what is the tier 0 AR? or is their none??

so many questions! No clue how to explain it! 

1 minute ago, Adam the Waster said:

im still wonder how the new guns will work.

like madmole said that the lever action is the new marksman rifle, but it looks like a Prim weapon, or is their another one? if so, then what role will the hunting rifle serve? or will it be removed? and also what is the tier 0 AR? or is their none??

so many questions! No clue how to explain it! 

Well maybe  hunting rifle will be tier 1 like smg double barrel shotgun (junk guns are tier 0 in this situation) , lever action tier 2 like AK or  pump shotgun , and sniper like m60 and auto shotgun

6 minutes ago, bachgaman said:

Btw why is twitch integration needed? Can't people stream without it?

It provides an incentive for people to interact with the stream (which benefits the streamer). Like, spawning zombies on top of the streamer, or sending him a health crate. That said, it was not a priority for TFP, but one of the devs has been doing it as a personal project and TFP decided to incorporate it. Gaming streams have a big impact on a game's popularity.

23 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Atm looks soo good i hope on some of them will be bloody hand

And i hope there wil be jokes on tombstones like : " Here rest Johny Stell wood , he was (unreadable) but fortunnatly he is dead" , " 1878 - LT. Michael Pierce- Rest in Pieces. If anyone found rest of his blow up body parts bring it here!" , " Here lies - Emilly Jefferson. She was rude as witch. She burned with her house. Case? we don't think so"  , "Here lies a John Werned - thief , liar and handsome man. When he was hang - Navgane mans were happy but their wives less" "Here rest Tom. He loves Marry. He saw her so he felt to the river with his minibike. Love kiling my dears" , " Here lies Jeff . Jeff is dead.  We hope so  at least".  " This grave belong to Carl Willson the worst mayor of this town.  We prey he will never comes back"

Look closer on the tombstone...

4 hours ago, dcsobral said:

Any updates on this? I'm not sure a new gas station is even worth mentioning, so I assume there's more stuff in the works.

Hey now....it might be a fantastic gas station... 😅   joking aside, Rick did mention 100 new POIs in the last twitch integration video he participated in so....

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Look closer on the tombstone...

Hey now....it might be a fantastic gas station... 😅

Yeah but first one is just "generic" tombstone - this one with madmole is more joke. I have hope they will do 5-10 in this second style . 

On 5/12/2021 at 7:34 PM, Roland said:

You do realize that A20 is not the end right? 😀 It is simply the next step forward and this particular step will not have raiders. But that doesn't mean TFP have replaced raiders as an enemy with drones as a follower in their overall plan. You just have to learn to enjoy each new step as it comes and then you won't be prone to so much sadness. Also the game is set in the 2030's in an alternate reality so drones fit just fine.

Finally, the trailer you reference shows Days 1-7. If that is the way you want the game to play then simply start over as soon as Day 8 rolls around and you will always play in the environment and tech level that you feel the game should represent by that trailer.

but the thing is!

will we get the adam gun!

with the 4 barrel hunting rifle that shoots all 4 rounds, 2 pistols and a Junk turret camara! 

10 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

I looked through the console menu. Only one screamer spawned. 😛

Try mining iron with a pickaxe or an auger and report back to me.

i do mine with an auger and honestly screamers are nowhere enar the treat they used to be

8 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

i would tell you if i did. but i didn't im way too Lazy for that XD

Trying mining with Dynamite THEN YOU come back to me! 

it depends on how @%$#ed off you made them

camp fire, maybe a normal zombie horde, Bomb mining? Bloodmoon horde !

Personally! i wish they could spawn on bloodmoons and SUPER rarely out in the open or in POIs

that would be cool! 

auger mining and unless its extremely late game their not a danger at all really

6 minutes ago, bachgaman said:

I understand that streams make the game more popular, but the quality and depth of the game also makes it more popular. But the mechanics you voiced are interesting, I didn't think about it. Apparently the task is to create a casual game to attract the audience, I didn't think so before. Flying robots and streamers😁

Jokes aside, its an entertaining arcadey mode similar to the hunger games movie.  Hopefully some of our veteran players will give it a try as it can be a fun new challenge.

4 minutes ago, bachgaman said:

Now people who are always happy with everything (especially free) will throw me dislikes again 

By casual I mean targeting the general public by simplifying mechanics and creating wow content. It's not bad when it doesn't clash with the overall concept (this is why I attached a trailer). As far as I understand, the simplification of the mechanic is also coming with the A20 (e.g. clothing and armor slots). Streamers, flying drones. Therefore, I draw conclusions that the game is deliberately becoming attractive to the widest circle of people (twitch users). Obviously, the goal is to attract more players. But be careful, these people can throw stones at you for the fact that your game does not have dealer replics for females or something like that. 😁 And also game risk losing its charm.

They already Lightly simplified the game and guest what!

not alot of people liked it! now some people see A16 as "the perfect 7dtd" personally i think they are crazy! but i understand some points i liked (i didn't play much of A16 i was on my makeshift laptop then XD)

like Skills! their are some things that im GLAD are gone like the Endless crafting of stone axes! but other LBD was pretty cool and not many games had that the way 7DTD did. and other skills they went for something Simi complex to fallout 4. not that their is anything wrong with that but still why gut it?

same for the building, im a Mad man about it BUT i love my scrap buildings! but they got rid of it. now the upgraded wood... yeah that was useless but not scrap 1 and 2! 

also back then guns where a thing you kinda had to earn. now they throw them at you at times.

also no the Armor system is not coming to A20, and thats because most clothing is useless! Like who wears biker boots? 

and No, a game does need twitch to become popular! it Helps Alot but its not what makes or break a game.   

49 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Jokes aside, its an entertaining arcadey mode similar to the hunger games movie.  Hopefully some of our veteran players will give it a try as it can be a fun new challenge.

na gets boring real quick for me. i like endless trouble!

4 minutes ago, faatal said:

Clothing and armor slots are not changing for A20. Streamers stream all types of games, simple or complex. The Robotic Drone is not simplifying anything, since it is an addition to the game.

yes and the clothing also is nice because it gets rid of the next to useless clothing! like boots, shoes, and Hats! it looks cool but its a waste of space

On 5/12/2021 at 7:17 PM, bachgaman said:

Sounds sad, instead of powerful enemies and raiders, we will get a flying smart homemade drone in the non future zombie post-apocalypse. All those robotic things looked weird. 

What's next? Space satellites with death rays and teleportation devices?😁

Lol, I gotta say I agree. Yes I realize raiders are coming & that's all good but I hate the fact the behemoth was dropped but yet we are getting a drone. 

However this is obviously just my opinion. I thought the junk sledge's were a stupid addition but after using them I admittedly like them. 

So as you said in a later post, we'll just trust them & roll with whatever they put out. 

In the Pimps we trust!!

2 hours ago, Orville Tootenbacher said:

I’m positive anything I put here you guys have already thought of but here goes anyways… I think a little more randomness would do wonders during blood moons. It’s currently way too easy to game the AI because their behavior is so predictable. Having some zombies that don’t just follow the same defined path to the user in an endless loop would really increase the intensity.  

Instead of how they will single file jump up block stairs in a really slow animation that gives you plenty of time to shoot them, maybe some just destroy the blocks underneath you? Like less prioritization of getting to your height and more bringing you down to their height. 

I support. Made a similar suggest, but it remained unanswered

On 4/15/2021 at 6:15 AM, bachgaman said:

4. Zombie intelligence - literally in the first days of the game, it so happened that without any guides I calculated the optimal (in my opinion imbalanced) defense system in bloody moons. The thing is that during bloody moon zombies, obviously, calculate the shortest path to the player and follow only it (maybe they still trigger on the doors because instead of breaking a concrete block with a strength of 2500 they hit a reinforced door with a strength of more than 7000).

Therefore, as soon as the player digs a moat around the base and makes an exit from it leading to the door behind which the player is hiding, the player becomes almost invulnerable with a proper supply of ammunition to destroy them behind the door through the holes (I played at all difficulty levels and only demolishers can oppose something to this, and then by mistake of the player who shot the bomb)

I think all experienced players follow this tactic and it's very boring. Dont you think it is necessary to lay some randomization in the choice of path for zombies? For example, with some small probability, some zombie would choose not most optimal path. For example, they would not run out of the moat, but start digging under the shelter or attack not the door, but the walls. This change would not affect the physics of the game, I'm not talking about they have to act smart, but sometimes they have to act unpredictably

It is about this point that zombies act too predictably. This makes it easy and boring to defend.

9 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

They already Lightly simplified the game and guest what!

not alot of people liked it! now some people see A16 as "the perfect 7dtd" personally i think they are crazy! but i understand some points i liked (i didn't play much of A16 i was on my makeshift laptop then XD)

like Skills! their are some things that im GLAD are gone like the Endless crafting of stone axes! but other LBD was pretty cool and not many games had that the way 7DTD did. and other skills they went for something Simi complex to fallout 4. not that their is anything wrong with that but still why gut it?

same for the building, im a Mad man about it BUT i love my scrap buildings! but they got rid of it. now the upgraded wood... yeah that was useless but not scrap 1 and 2! 

also back then guns where a thing you kinda had to earn. now they throw them at you at times.

also no the Armor system is not coming to A20, and thats because most clothing is useless! Like who wears biker boots? 

and No, a game does need twitch to become popular! it Helps Alot but its not what makes or break a game.   

na gets boring real quick for me. i like endless trouble!

yes and the clothing also is nice because it gets rid of the next to useless clothing! like boots, shoes, and Hats! it looks cool but its a waste of space

Hey! clothing are not useless! they give something that iron armor coudn't give it to you ! A style! You know it should be rep point - better look = bigger traders' respect. So guy with good biker boots , solid leather  jackets and googles gives you a look a good mercenary. A solid professional guy, A guy in iron or scrap armor looks like living pile of junks! No to protection only! Yes to connect style with priceses and quest. No more irons hobos! Yes for bikers , killers in suits (hey 47) etc armors on desert or snow = death. Stylish cowboy hat = live! 

4 hours ago, Mr Lucky said:

Is there any plans on adding more optics/reticle options to the weapons anytime soon? Ex: Holo Scope, variations of Red Dot Sights/Reticle selections etc and better Iron Sights? such an AMAZING FPS/Survival game, and these additions would be AMAZING in vanilla 7DTD. I prefer not to use any mods. Great job on the game so far, keep up the superb work!

The thing about that is that the newer guns have unique attachment models baked into the gun model itself that gets enabled/disabled, instead of attaching the same generic models like with the older guns. With this being the case, I can see a future where all guns have moved into the new system, all having their unique attachment models.

So massive variety between guns, but not so much within. I could definitely see custom reticles being a thing though since that would require way less development time and could be reused for all scopes.

37 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

With the outfit system eventually coming to the game in an alpha near you, I suppose I'm correct in thinking that certain loot containers like nightstands and clothing racks will get a rework of their loot table, if not removed entirely?

If thats so i need to get to work on some new clothing Ideas!

oh no here we go again!

4 hours ago, Kirill_226RUS said:

@faatal, @madmole, will there be an update to Unity and DX12/Vulkan for the current version of the game? For example, in A19.6. Or will it all be only in A20?

faatal already replied to this: he had problems with Unity and Vulkan (even just in the editor) so he opened a ticked with the Unity guys.

He's waiting for them to reply/resolve the issue.

47 minutes ago, mstdv inc said:

I would like to express my respect to @faatal for the optimization upgrade in 19.5.
avg indicators increased by 20-25%, and 1% and 0.1% became from 2 to 5 times better.I am very happy!)My PC is very happy, thank you!

Who noticed in A19.5 b1-b50
50?50 builds!!Amazing

Wut?

13 hours ago, adrew1231 said:

Not sure if this has been asked. But, I am wondering if Dukes integration into hotbar of inventory will be in an update? that way money doesnt take up space in inventory? I know that Dukes can be smelted...but the yield is too low to be of significance in materials and also dukes are generally more needed for traders.

Each Duke smelts down to 1 brass, so effectively a 20k stack of Dukes represents 20k brass or 3,333 bullet casings. A stack of brass which also takes up one inventory slot only represents 6k brass or 1k bullet casings. Dukes are already very efficient space wise.

Also, there comes a point fairly early in the game where you literally never buy anything from the trader at all and their main purpose becomes nothing more than a source of brass aka Dukes.

On 5/13/2021 at 2:19 PM, BFT2020 said:

That is why I always put out a turret at the top of my mine.  Even then, I typically have to pop up every now and then to help out the turrets before they beat my hatch down completely.

Mine at bedrock - no screamers.

17 hours ago, bachgaman said:

they will lead a Twitch audience of 16-24 y.o. who needs to be retained

So, where did you get this metric for the 7dtd Twitch audience? or did you simply make it up? Citation needed or info useless and ignored.

• Crater Creator changed the title to A20 Developer Diary Discussions
  • Roland unpinned this topic