A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

On 11/4/2020 at 8:29 AM, Adam the Waster said:

@madmole

So what place will the hunting rifle have compared to the pipe rifle, will they both be single shot? or will there be a change?

Hunting rifle needs to change to 4 round capacity. A modern bolt action as pictured in the game generally hold 3 rounds in the internal magazine and one in the chamber.  A true single shot would be a break open rifle (unless it was a single shot .22 bolt action which it isn’t) you could change the reload animation, and remove the loading animation from loading a single shell all the time. No magazine mods would still apply. 
Could get 4 shots off without reloading faster than the pipe rifle, but longer reload than say the marksmen rifle magazine change reload. 
 Pipe rifle can have a modified double barrel shotgun style reload animation for it. 

8 hours ago, Tmodloader said:

Lockpicking is not shippable, you can't even write a message in text while lockpicking.

How is being able to text while lockpicking the measure of "shippable"?

Also there needs to be some incentive to actually pick a lock instead of breaking in, such as a chance for items to break.

Agreed.

Also locked doors can't be picked.

This was never going to happen and they were very up front about that when they introduced lockpicking that it would be for chests only. Whatever improvements they may or may not make to lockpicking it will ship as a chest only feature.

Felt like it was just thrown in to have it there for early access and would be touched up later so claims that it is shippable are disappointing to aay the least.

Well, they did originally state that their plan was to create a minigame and then they backed off of that so I can understand where the feeling comes from that it seems like a placeholder mechanic. This sort of thing happens during development and the only reason we even know about what could have been is because we are part of early access.

19 hours ago, LilMissNorti said:

Apologies if in the wrong section...it's been a while since I've looked at the forums and I cannot seem to find where to look at the current build 'fixes' or known errors.

However, I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced a potential oversight that we experienced last night. We are playing a locally hosted multiplayer game and just experienced our first horde night. As a result we've ended up with a number of injuries, one being a broken arm. Now whilst it is healing with a split, we are unable to repair, or upgrade our base in preparation for the next horde night without losing health, but are able to mine quite happily. 

We believe that the 'detrimental' affect is linked to the power attack function as power attack mining also causes us to lose health. However with repairing and upgrading, this isn't a 'power attack' of sorts so wondering if this was an oversight on TFP's part or intended as an additional punishment for allowing yourself to get injured?

Again, apologies if not the right area...just not 100% sure where else to post.

Here is where to report that: https://community.7daystodie.com/bug-test-1/

21 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

What exactly is an event system?

Unity explanation is no good at all for the faint hearted.

To make it as simple and vague as possible :

A good built event system is an order-input based code that usually handles "virtual happenings" in a videogame environment. It can be as simple as random timed spawns on a singular place (wandering horde, bandits on the roads, a farmer in distress, a dragon) or as complex as a pipeline with convoluted procedural triggers based on actions,  player level, location, quest completion, npc deaths etc... on endless/random places.

It's basically the best feature of 7dtd or any videogame for that matter. 

@faatal is essentially creating GOD.

On 11/1/2020 at 4:24 AM, Ranzera said:

...10 (I think that's the right number) equipment slots down to 4 is a travesty. What a loss.

I don't care if I'm wearing jeans or BDU's, or Sweat pants.  That can be simplified to leg armor.  And, I can see Coat + shirt + scarf simplifies to Chest armor,  When trying to figure out where the complexity should be, I don't know that maintaining a rain coat versus a winter coat for environment is any more fun than cooling/heating mods in the armor slots.  I'd rather have the main 4 slots, head, chest, legs, boots for gear with additional mod slots( maybe up to 6) for variety.

The most important question is...  Will I keep my cigar? 

A19.2_2020-11-13_06-32-21.jpg

That's just great! Any chance you'll fix water???????? You know the way it (doesn't) work. How animals run straight through like it's not there. Or how rotting mindless corpses can swim but your hardcore survivalist can't. Also would be great to have a way to take over and fortify multiple pois for us solo players that like to have pois set up for bases or horde night murder palaces.

Edited by Nobody
addendum (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, Nobody said:

That's just great! Any chance you'll fix water???????? You know the way it (doesn't) work. How animals run straight through like it's not there. Or how rotting mindless corpses can swim but your hardcore survivalist can't. Also would be great to have a way to take over and fortify multiple pois for us solo players that like to have pois set up for bases or horde night murder palaces.

Mate, its litteraly on the front page. Read Page one before you take a swing here at the forum. 

No idea wich problem you have with the swimming argument or the Multiple POIs thing ( entirely possible?)

18 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Water is getting looked at to some degree, and what we have is, and has been a placeholder for quite some time. Could it be better? Sure, but it's not bad for what we have now. That all being said, welcome to the community.

8 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

You're probably a Millennial or one of the newer generations. I would suggest you sit down for just one moment and let things happen without asking questions. Basic details are on the front page, and there is plenty more yet to come, with many unanswered questions undoubtedly waiting their due until A20 release day. If you cannot comply to this simple request, then perhaps these forum pages are not a place for you and maybe Instagram or Tik Tok would better suit your needs. Do you understand?

There are better ways to address posts like the one above, instead of unabashed condescension and label application based on sheer assumption. Your post reads like an AI made a post after being fed FB comments for a month.

Meanwhile, after taking a temporary break from 7D2D, I hopped back in and got a day 1 bicycle crafted. :) I spawned on the edge of a town next to a small mansion I recognized, one with close to a dozen bookshelves inside. I cleared it out, set down my storage, and scavenged the place, immediately finding the bicycle chassis and bicycle handlebars schematics in some bookshelves. I left my temporary abode and I saw that Trader Rekt was right adjacent to me, so I looted his compound and discovered he had a working workbench and a working chemistry station. Following this discovery I raided the house across the street and came out with enough materials, including forged iron, to craft my bicycle before 15:00 hours. Gotta love it. :)

42 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

(I don't know who to ask this...)

Any plans on adding mods to the Cement Mixer in A20?

I was thinking maybe you could add a slot for a mixer engine so that we can craft concrete faster.

Maybe even an input slot for stone that gets automatically used for whatever recipe.

Regarding your first idea, you could simply make another cement mixer. 😛

14 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Nah, once you get into the habit of it, it'll become second nature to you. I always have 3-4 going. All it takes is a couple of seconds.

I already tried this, it's a chore for me... maybe you enjoy activities that I don't, I don't know.

Anyway that's just a secondary issue and I don't understand what your point is... we already have the forge which has slots for mods who do the same exact thing I'm asking.

It's like saying "let's remove mods from the forge since you can do the same by crafting more of them". It doesn't make much sense to me.

You either use a system consistently for ALL workstations OR you don't use that system at all.

2 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

I already tried this, it's a chore for me... maybe you enjoy activities that I don't, I don't know.

Anyway that's just a secondary issue and I don't understand what your point is... we already have the forge which has slots for mods who do the same exact thing I'm asking.

It's like saying "let's remove mods from the forge since you can do the same by crafting more of them". It doesn't make much sense to me.

You either use a system consistently for ALL workstations OR you don't use that system at all.

Alright, you do you, to each their own and all that. Just whatever you do, don't make 3 cement mixers. It's the same reason why I would be against having 3 slot forges. Splitting stacks into odd numbers, now THAT is a chore. Splitting once, splitting twice, splitting thrice...

True, but managing forges is, at least as of A19, just that little bit more demanding than cement mixers. You have to manage input, output, fuel, ingredients... Cement mixers, you just have to manage sand, stone, and cement, maybe some sand crafting as well. I don't know why, maybe it's just me, but between the two, asking for a mod that increases the production rate of cement mixers just seems like fluff compared to the anvil/advanced bellows? Just my perspective. Besides, consistency and all that; what about mods for the workbench and chemistry station?

Now a mod to craft cement out of the cement mixer (but it taking longer than in the forge), now there's an idea... Coupled with your idea for the mod that allows to craft items faster... Nevermind, take back what I said. 😛

10 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

(I don't know who to ask this...)

Any plans on adding mods to the Cement Mixer in A20?

I was thinking maybe you could add a slot for a mixer engine so that we can craft concrete faster.

Maybe even an input slot for stone that gets automatically used for whatever recipe.

My two cents of mixer tech...  it seems to be pushing the "reality" of mixer tech now as a real mixer doesn't have an input and output cue, nor does spinning the cement faster make it mix faster.  IRL, if you needed more than a mixer would yield you would order some yards of concrete to be delivered by a truck, an ability which would vanish in our post apocalyptical scenario.

But, If my survivalist could get a wish it would be for some kind of nerd robot tech smart arm to place next to any queue able (forge, chest, work bench, chem station, etc.) that would xfer items into and from a block beside it (N,S,E,W).  This would give a crude ability to engineer assembly lines.  

An example,

1. storage (contains iron scrap and other materials)  -->
  2. bot (bot takes X iron scrap from chest on north orders forged iron from forge on south)  -->
  3. forge -->
  4. bot (bot takes forged iron from forge on north and orders iron spikes from workbench on its south ) -->
  5. workbench 
  6. bot (bot takes all output  queue items from workbench on north and moves to chest on south) -->
  7. storage

Programmatically, a mod-able item with limited metadata.  The theoretical bot could even have an upgrade path to be able to handle more adjacent blocks, more "recipes", etc.  The interface could be similar to the other existing crafting blocks.

I was yearning for a "hopper" to handle the limited input and output sizes of crafting devices in order to deal with stuff while gone all day clearing out SKYSCRAPER_01.  I think the idea of a robotic arm offering limited automation is a bit better.

Edited by Kandrathe (see edit history)

6 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

True, but managing forges is, at least as of A19, just that little bit more demanding than cement mixers. You have to manage input, output, fuel, ingredients... Cement mixers, you just have to manage sand, stone, and cement, maybe some sand crafting as well. I don't know why, maybe it's just me, but between the two, asking for a mod that increases the production rate of cement mixers just seems like fluff compared to the anvil/advanced bellows? Just my perspective. Besides, consistency and all that; what about mods for the workbench and chemistry station?

Well one solid argument I can think of for mods in crafting stations is the heat map. Assuming the mechanic hasn't been changed, more crafting stations equals more heat but improved ones doesn't. So you would have less screamers knocking on your door.

Unless of course you're the kind of guy that likes screamers. 😉

24 minutes ago, Astronomical said:

Well one solid argument I can think of for mods in crafting stations is the heat map. Assuming the mechanic hasn't been changed, more crafting stations equals more heat but improved ones doesn't. So you would have less screamers knocking on your door.

Unless of course you're the kind of guy that likes screamers. 😉

I often have 20-30 forges going at any given time late-game; my record so far has been 60. What does that tell you? ;)