A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

With the A20 developer diary thread beginning I have created a new discussions thread. Each day or so I will migrate discussions and conversations and jokes over to this thread in order to keep the dev diary clear of content that is not directly interactive with the developers. This is not a punishment and nobody is getting infractions. If there are hot topics of debate and conversation they can continue here and not overwhelm that thread.

Otherwise, just say "Sooooooo?" if you're a big Dingle Berry.

Edited by Crater Creator
labeling as A20 to prevent confusion (see edit history)

Just now, Roland said:

Hah!  You're hoping it replaces auto-aggro rooms attack volumes! You don't fool me!! :)

Fixed, yes, wasn't trying to fool anyone though for some reason I felt stepping lightly was for the best. Even if the walking sleepers don't replace them they will present an interesting challenge. I look forwards to listening for more than just snores and gauging distance by sound before I peak a corner to line up a shot (might not be that refined at first but I can hope).

34 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

Nice. Another knob to tune to adjust difficulty to taste. :)

I wonder if this is going to be in place of something that is there currently or is in addition to what is there currently.

Imagine setting the zombies to nightmare speed and you living in the wasteland biome. It'll practically be horde every night there. Something tells me I'm going to absolutely adore this feature. :) I was a bit gutted when they removed nighttime feral mode back in A16, now it has a second chance of sorts.

I'm guessing these changes won't come into effect during horde night and the zombies will always have their GPS mode active?

32 minutes ago, Roland said:

Hah!  You're hoping it replaces auto-aggro rooms! You don't fool me!! :)

I wonder if any predictability/roleplay will be added to this system? How about having Edgar sleep walk to the kitchen every morning to prepare his morning coffee? ;)

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)

Well obviously the top priority in alpha 20 should be toilet update. 

I am sure you are already working on it and it is the real reason for improved water. 

Listen, these vets want a REAL challenge and real SURVIVAL elements that allow the game to be their job... so you must make it so that players spend 50% of their game time using the toilet, at the very least. 

Pee pee poo poo is serious business and should be taken seriously. 

Proper toilets are the foundation of life and without it your society is exploded by bombs, just like in the fall of Rome, when their toilets stopped flushing and then bombs hit them and Joan of Arc died of radiation poisoning. 

9 minutes ago, beHypE said:

Haven't been able to watch the stream yet but from the list above (thank you by the way) , I don't see any big changes regarding gameplay ? Vehicle mods are a nice addition and the 3 pipe guns will make early days more convenient for everyone, but there seems to be nothing drastically gamechanging or adding/renewing the challenge.

Has there been more detailed information regarding the very linear progression system of A19 that A20 was supposed to improve ?

Well there is a setting coming out called "Feral sense" it basically if you want you're zombies agro to be, "WALKING dead level", or "WWZ level"

And the New zombie "the Gasser" Madmole talked about in A19 dev diary (i do hope they add more)

40 minutes ago, JasonX said:

If bandits are proving so hard, why not let the community help out with the modelling, animations and coding? Surely there is some assets or source code that can be released, or some problem statement that we can help brainstorm around.  

Because they are a company making a game and not a mod based community effort? Maybe, I don't know.

It is amazing to me that how TFPs have been able to take this game in so many directions. People are always on them about being in Alpha so long but in my way too many years gaming, I have never seen a developer put so much effort in a game. I am looking forward to see what they come up with next!

Edited by Hinch (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, Hinch said:

Because they are a company making a game and not a mod based community effort? Maybe, I don't know.

Most likely that, the devs can do stuff that modders can't do. Thats why i like to play it the way it is, the only "Modding" it do is XML, (even then i barely know how too lol)

yeah modders do really cool and net things (like raven) but still nothing like official.

1 hour ago, MechanicalLens said:

While conventional clothing (dusters, boots, bandanas, shirts, pants, etc.) will be removed and the current armor sets we know will be gone, I'm nonetheless interested to see where these outfits will take us. I just hope there's enough variety among them so that we don't find entire sets, even if some are of poor quality levels, relatively early on. (Also, I assume that clothing mods will be removed, such as the skullcap mod and the cowboy hat mod? Just curious.)

I Hope we add alot of new outfits,  i got alot of ideas for outfits, Hunter, Swat, Football player, Ranger, EOD, Power armor (maybe), and a few others.
will they be added? No but ill try. 

@Everyone    

Are you able to make a post on the pimp dream? because im not able too...

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

1 hour ago, MechanicalLens said:

While conventional clothing (dusters, boots, bandanas, shirts, pants, etc.) will be removed and the current armor sets we know will be gone, I'm nonetheless interested to see where these outfits will take us. I just hope there's enough variety among them so that we don't find entire sets, even if some are of poor quality levels, relatively early on. (Also, I assume that clothing mods will be removed, such as the skullcap mod and the cowboy hat mod? Just curious.)

Edit: Unless I misunderstood what Joel meant, in which case, feel free to correct me.

It seems a bit railroad-y. each set seems tailored to one attribute. And the really good set bonus makes sure we don't deviate, at least when we have all items in a set. I would have prefered something more orthogonal to the attributes.

It could also lead to much clothes-swapping. If someone has to mine a bit, he would want to don whatever he has of the miner clothes, the bonus of each is just too good to ignore.

Don't get me wrong, the general direction of giving lots of bonuses to clothes is great, and naturally this critique is premature without having played it.

4 minutes ago, meganoth said:

It seems a bit railroad-y. each set seems tailored to one attribute. And the really good set bonus makes sure we don't deviate, at least when we have all items in a set. I would have prefered something more orthogonal to the attributes.

It could also lead to much clothes-swapping. If someone has to mine a bit, he would want to don whatever he has of the miner clothes, the bonus of each is just too good to ignore.

Don't get me wrong, the general direction of giving lots of bonuses to clothes is great, and naturally this critique is premature without having played it.

i think it going to be a really cool thing, Alot of clothing just felt redundant, Tell me. if you live in the forest, are you going to wear Biker boots or Whatever armor boots you got!. 9/10 times you will choose armor over Warmth. 

I have a feeling that there will be alot more (all though i would love to give ideas but i can't post on the Pimp dream for some reason!)

But i think it will be a very good thing for the game, and it could also leave some room for other things! :) 

21 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Thanks for getting this thread up @Roland, was waiting for this. :)

With the new outfit system replacing conventional armor/clothing, I wonder how they're going to work this around the Savage Country POI's? Will they be removed possibly?

Far too early to be speculating of course, just a fleeting thought I had.

How are they connected?

1 minute ago, meganoth said:

How are they connected?

What do you mean?

Edit: Unless I'm misunderstanding things, most of the clothing/armor we have now will be removed and replaced with a more unified design and that being player outfits. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that though. With the Savage Country POI's, especially the big ones, currently you can find any type of shirt, pants, shoes, etc. in them by the dozens. With player outfits, this would translate into a similar situation unless the majority of these lootable containers like shoe and pants racks were changed to be non-interactable deco items only, for example.

6 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

What do you mean?

Edit: Unless I'm misunderstanding things, most of the clothing/armor we have now will be removed and replaced with a more unified design and that being player outfits. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that though. With the Savage Country POI's, especially the big ones, currently you can find any type of shirt, pants, shoes, etc. in them by the dozens. With player outfits, this would translate into a similar situation unless the majority of these lootable containers like shoe and pants racks were changed to be non-interactable deco items only, for example.

Got it, was thinking about savage country pois, not Savage Country pois.

Farmer and nerd outfit seem to indicate that clothes will have quality too. We will have to see but that might mean that you can get a full set early in the game, but need a lot of looting before your set is also at a good quality

22 minutes ago, RhinoW said:

And as for the new generator quest, it seems like a really nice addition, and I hope different tiers add different electrical puzzles that the player needs to solve (activate a button, connect wires, interact with fuse boxes similar to far cry towers)

Way too ambitious, imo. Quest tiers will likely only increase building size and number of generators to repair.

3 minutes ago, jorbascrumps said:

Way too ambitious, imo. Quest tiers will likely only increase building size and number of generators to repair.

We already have an implemented electrical system, all they gotta do is spawn it in a PoI, and allow the player to interact with it. As for the fuse boxes, it would be like the switch, but with a new model and animation.

1 minute ago, Jay_ombie said:

We need more native/generic zombies with different hair and clothes to blanket and fill up the world more, then these 'special' zombies will be just that. :)

all i want for Basic zombies is a Generic Zombie that looks like the crawler but it has legs. 
like theses
just uses you're imagination to see how TFP would make them! but it would have there theme!

I think it would fit nice will all theses "fresh" looking zombies
and then the Old and super rotten Zombies! 

Spoiler

Unwilling | Doom Wiki | FandomFeral Ghoul | Wiki | Warfare Roleplay AminoFeral ghoul (Fallout 4) | Fallout Wiki | FandomSkeleton Zombies by Studio New Punch in Characters - UE4 Marketplace

• Crater Creator changed the title to A20 Developer Diary Discussions
  • Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland pinned this topic
  • Roland unpinned this topic