Jump to content

Alpha 20 Dev Diary


madmole

Recommended Posts

@faatal Sorry for bothering you about old topic, few pages ago you were talking about audio, raycasts and not forcing anyone to set flags for every block. Would be big problem use existing "Collide - Bullet" as mentioned in spoiler? Or use HP of block how much reduce sound?

Something like Raycast from zombie/source to player if colide = bullet then reduce volume by 50% per block?

I know it sounds a little bit off in some scenarios but it could improve imersion when you hear zombie behind wall so loud or if your teammates are digging in next room.

Spoiler
On 9/28/2021 at 7:19 PM, Gamida said:

 

I think that is collide. For example I think below it means that those things will collide with the bars (player (movement), club (melee), rocket (rocket)

 

 

<block name="ironBarsCentered">
   <code>


    <property name="Collide" value="movement,melee,rocket"/>
    

<more code>
</block>

 

 

In this one it will also stop bullets and arrows.

 


<block name="glassCTRSheet">
    

<even more code>


    <property name="Collide" value="movement,melee,bullet,arrow,rocket"/>
    

<last code I promise>
</block>

 

 

I am sure someone can confirm or deny this .

 

Edited by Kamikaze (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/28/2021 at 10:41 PM, madmole said:

I've really been enjoying A20. I think builders will have a blast with all the new toys.

1.) New shape menu
2.) Stability shader shows in real time which is really nice.
3.) Loads of new shapes... LOADS.
4.) Wood is decent to build with.
5.) Upgrade path is simple and less frustrating, less pounding/time wasted upgrading to a million materials.

6.) Land claim seems very generous, I don't know if this has changed though.
7.) All shape menus are the same.

8.) Building with particle board is a huge win versus the transparent frames. You can see exactly what you are building now, like before getting a wedged incline block rotated the right way was tricky because you couldn't see very well.
 

Overall building is vastly improved. It's really nice not getting in the dev menu to get the blocks you want, and much easier to find/navigate IMO.

 

Man, I can't f*cking wait for this update! You're such an awesome team and your game is amazing. Thank you guys for your hard work! :) 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, falloutcloud said:

I am very hyped to learn more about the RWG tile system! It feels like we got such a small glimpse of it on the 1st stream. Any idea if and when there will be a stream dedicated to RWG?

Could be in a week or 2.  Tonight's dev stream is the environmental and weapon artist team.  Should be a good dinner time event. 😃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/28/2021 at 3:56 PM, Yeppi said:

@ Faatal / Madmole 

Can you please tell us what are the minimum requirements for a PC so that the a20 / 21 / gold runs smoothly in HD and at least medium or high graphics settings? Is the i-3570K (4x3.8ghz), RX480 8GB, 16 RAM DDR3 still sufficient or is it called "Game Over" for such an old PC from a20? Well for 1-2 years I wanted to keep it until DDR5 becomes the standard ... and since A19.2 I sometimes have "mini-stuttering" (at 48 -56 FPS) and if it freezes for 1 second before the horde comes / spawns. Will it get worse from the A20? And how many cores does 7d2d use? Does it make a difference whether you have, for example, a new CPU with 12 or more cores or the game is only used with a maximum of 4, 6 or 8 cores?

I can't give you exact answers, since PC specs vary so much. It should have similar performance. The worse case currently is in the downtown of the new RWG cities, but they are working on a point system to help keep too many high resource POIs from being together.

 

The game will use around 6 cores, but cores are not used equally because there are many different workloads being run. Many tasks have to be done on the main thread in Unity, which consistently takes the most amount of time per frame. The same with the graphics thread. Beyond that, other threaded tasks like mesh creation, collision mesh baking and AI pathing are on demand as needed. I have a 12 core CPU, but it certainly does not need or use all of those cores. Extra cores are nice to have, since the OS and other programs can run without using cores the game is using.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Annihilatorza said:

@faatal With the new blocks and the reduced blocks upgrades, is there anything else changing about the SI system or is it pretty as is for now?

 

Also what are you currently working on?

SI is basically the same. I think we increased wood to better match the others, but seems done.

 

Mostly bugs. Currently short grass mesh improvements and fixing normals that today I noticed were wrong.

6 hours ago, Kamikaze said:

@faatal Sorry for bothering you about old topic, few pages ago you were talking about audio, raycasts and not forcing anyone to set flags for every block. Would be big problem use existing "Collide - Bullet" as mentioned in spoiler? Or use HP of block how much reduce sound?

Something like Raycast from zombie/source to player if colide = bullet then reduce volume by 50% per block?

I know it sounds a little bit off in some scenarios but it could improve imersion when you hear zombie behind wall so loud or if your teammates are digging in next room.

  Reveal hidden contents

 

Something can be done with hours/days/weeks of work. Not spending any time on it for A20 or maybe at all. We have plenty to do already to get the game gold.

6 hours ago, falloutcloud said:

I am very hyped to learn more about the RWG tile system! It feels like we got such a small glimpse of it on the 1st stream. Any idea if and when there will be a stream dedicated to RWG?

It is planned to be stream #6 on Oct 13th.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Roland said:

image.thumb.png.e3d9fdd6cfabd28120d04c1565392cfc.png

 

While the one on the far left with just the grip and butt stock showing, and the one in the upper right corner with the foregrip and flashlight hanging from the barrel have me scratching my head the thing that is screaming at me in my head right now is why in the hell is there a bent screwdriver stuck to the side of the pipe mg's receiver in the upper left? If it's supposed to be a carry handle it is very redundant, much less it being in the perfect position to break the wielder's nose or knock out their left eye from the recoil when they use the sight.

Edited by hiemfire (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

While the one on the far left with just the grip and butt stock showing, and the one in the upper right corner with the foregrip and flashlight hanging from the barrel have me scratching my head the thing that is screaming at me in my head right now is why in the hell is there a bent screwdriver stuck to the side of the pipe mg's receiver in the upper left? If it's supposed to be a carry handle it is very redundant, much less it being in the perfect position to break the wielder's nose or knock out their left eye from the recoil when they use the sight.

The one on the far left with just the stock showing is the M16A1

https://imgur.com/a/Z3wdqZ4

 

The one on the far right is the Hunting Rifle

https://imgur.com/a/Fft3UNf

 

The pipe SMG has a screwdriver as the slide to reload. 1:17:15 in the dev stream https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1163132757

https://imgur.com/a/aa28aQC

Edited by FSM (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The two biggest things for me from this week's dev stream were doors:

  • Cellar doors! I've wanted that for so long that I asked JaxTeller to add it to Ravenhearst back in alpha 16.
  • You can shoot through holes in the door as they get damaged! Yes!

The grass looked good too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

YES! Someone asked in the chat if we could place those doors vertically, but the devs missed it. We need more 2 block wide doors, as all we got are house doors and garage roller doors.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is the update I've been waiting for all these years. You've really assembled a quality team of technical and artistic wizards. I'm still saving Navezgane for the gold release in order to appreciate the unsullied experience as it was always meant to be, but I can't wait to dive back into exploring the new world generation and creating with all these incredible assets. Everything is looking so alive, yet so dead. I'm really impressed with the way that revenant dissonance is conveyed through the environment. Kudos to each and every Fun Pimp. I knew my faith in y'all was not misplaced. 🥰

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I just watched small pieces of of the latest stream.  That screenshot of the Mesas really stood out.  Was every single Mesa shaped exactly the same but turned at a different angle?  

 

Is the whole world going to be full of the same shapes over and over now with this stamp tech?  Hey look that mountain again!  Hey look, that lake again!  

Edited by SnowDog1942 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Afraid 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/28/2021 at 1:34 AM, Blake_ said:

I see. You believe that naked is always better. That's perfectly normal if only a bit unsettling.

Hey don't put the blame squarely on me lol, that's how the wight was for ages before this recent change. Clearly the devs agreed that he looked better without clothes at some point too. 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, dcsobral said:

The two biggest things for me from this week's dev stream were doors:

  • Cellar doors! I've wanted that for so long that I asked JaxTeller to add it to Ravenhearst back in alpha 16.
  • You can shoot through holes in the door as they get damaged! Yes!

The grass looked good too.

 

Did they ever answer to say if those doors are player craftable? I'm still  listening through the Q&A portion at the moment

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, FSM said:

YES! Someone asked in the chat if we could place those doors vertically, but the devs missed it. We need more 2 block wide doors, as all we got are house doors and garage roller doors.

 

I thought one of the Devs said they would add (vertical) double doors to their to-do list.

  • Have a Cookie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

okay : we have a lot new things (looking rly good- omg this dead deer looks so good UwU BUT  we will get tonfa so maybe add nightstick would be nice(and riot zombie too). ^^ i know it is a little bit too late to add this in A20 but add this to A21 could be as  good as newsstand

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...