Jump to content

Alpha 20 Dev Diary


madmole

Recommended Posts

I don t know if it was asked before:

Did the pathing on z's got reworked/improved?  Now the z's are to smart in a stupid way,  we can tell them were to go ( one way bridge/ditch)  and just shoot at them with an M60, etc...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Nimeni said:

I don t know if it was asked before:

Did the pathing on z's got reworked/improved?  Now the z's are to smart in a stupid way,  we can tell them were to go ( one way bridge/ditch)  and just shoot at them with an M60, etc...

aren't zombies like that irl :D

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Trankitas said:

I've been lurking for a long time, and i have to say that alpha 20 is looking fine A.F. 

 

I have a question tho, is player movement ever gonna change? It feels kinda clunky IMO (like you're floating or something), the game is reaching some insane quality levels (for a sandbox, random gen, fully destructible, etc. game) and I feel like movement is the same from Alpha 4.

Love you guys, can't wait to see what you have in store for us. 

Tranquitas.

Give me clunky. I tried first person on Night of the Dead, which features some fine player animations, and got motion sickness really fast. When you walk the brain adjusts what you are seeing based on the motion detection of your ears and experience. These elements are absent when you are sitting down looking at a screen so your brain can't do much except adjust to short term experience -- which causes that strange dissonance when you end a long playing session --, and that causes the motion sickness. So it really should be up to the computer to do the adjusting to give you a stable view.

 

That doesn't mean the avatar shouldn't get some better animations, and it did receive some updates in this regard on alpha 18, iirc. Just don't move the view up and down to simulate walking.

  • Dislike 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's weird that people talk about motion sickness when gaming.  I suffer from motion sickness in real life (have to take medicine when flying or riding in a car on long trips, no boating or rollercoaster activities for me).  But I have never gotten sick from playing a video game.

 

But I figure it is the same reason I never get motion sickness when I drive - I am in control, even when the game tries to say I am not in control  😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Nimeni said:

I don t know if it was asked before:

Did the pathing on z's got reworked/improved?  Now the z's are to smart in a stupid way,  we can tell them were to go ( one way bridge/ditch)  and just shoot at them with an M60, etc...

(IMHO) This is an important ingredient in the tower defense part of the game. You should be able to goad them through your traps, you should be able to concentrate your fire on them through careful planning of your base.

 

The M60 is great, but uses a lot of expensive ammo. At the moment we easily get enough ammo in vanilla to just mow down the zombies on horde night, but think about what you would do if you needed to conserve ammo.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been playing around with gaming on linux for a month or so and I'm aware that one of many flaws is EAC not being usable. Which means of course no multiplayer servers that require EAC. So my question is, now that epic released a new update, will we be getting the option to play Alpha 20 with EAC on? Here's an article with the big news: https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/23/22690670/epic-eac-anti-cheat-linux-valve-steam-deck-support-games

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Sorry, but the Grammar Nazi in me can't resist... FYI saying "fine A.F." is like saying "sizzling warm". :lol:

Peace. ;) 

Sexy A F is better?

1 hour ago, dcsobral said:

Give me clunky. I tried first person on Night of the Dead, which features some fine player animations, and got motion sickness really fast. When you walk the brain adjusts what you are seeing based on the motion detection of your ears and experience. These elements are absent when you are sitting down looking at a screen so your brain can't do much except adjust to short term experience -- which causes that strange dissonance when you end a long playing session --, and that causes the motion sickness. So it really should be up to the computer to do the adjusting to give you a stable view.

 

That doesn't mean the avatar shouldn't get some better animations, and it did receive some updates in this regard on alpha 18, iirc. Just don't move the view up and down to simulate walking.

Maybe a running first person animation like holding sideways a rifle would do it. Like in fallout, when you run you're not pointing your gun at the same time. 
I get really hard headaches instead of motion sickness, but I get what you mean. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  

7 hours ago, Burrfly said:

Here's a little idea I thought about which could be very epic, but it is understandable if such a feature is very hard to implement. But, wouldn't it be cool to be able to place multiple non-building-blocks (like switches, torches, etc) in a single voxel, like this:

 

(It's an edited image)93203060_7DaystoDiehack.thumb.png.6a5bd9edccaf0578207123f0cc2740d0.png

 

Half blocks would be a life changer for this game. Being able to place flooring and stuff without making all your benches and walls randomly float would be amazing

 

2 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

It's weird that people talk about motion sickness when gaming.  I suffer from motion sickness in real life (have to take medicine when flying or riding in a car on long trips, no boating or rollercoaster activities for me).  But I have never gotten sick from playing a video game.

 

But I figure it is the same reason I never get motion sickness when I drive - I am in control, even when the game tries to say I am not in control  😉

 

I don't get motion sick irl, but some games absolutely floor me. It's usually related to FoV, headbob, and how fast your character moves. Games like Half Life 2, Serious Sam, Doom etc will literally have me on the floor dry heaving within minutes of playing because you have a weird FoV with headbob, and move REALLY fast .

 

Skyrim VR also is a stomach breaker. Just turning to look in different directions in that game will send me staggering across the room like a 3 day drunk

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, En_Dotter said:

Share the solution when you find it? :D

When switching to exclusive mode, wait 10 frames and check if Screen width/height what you wanted. If not then switch back to the res you wanted in windowed mode, so the user can try again.

2 hours ago, friendlyx3 said:

I have been playing around with gaming on linux for a month or so and I'm aware that one of many flaws is EAC not being usable. Which means of course no multiplayer servers that require EAC. So my question is, now that epic released a new update, will we be getting the option to play Alpha 20 with EAC on? Here's an article with the big news: https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/23/22690670/epic-eac-anti-cheat-linux-valve-steam-deck-support-games

Possibly later. I don't know that we have the time before A20 experimental to upgrade and test it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Alloc said:

EAC has supported Linux for years for native games like 7days. No reason to update anything for just that. Only lazy devs that don't care about anything but Windows were an issue here ;)

Well, per protonDB the overall performance of the native linux version appears to be hit or miss, and that's using just the posts from the last 6 months. I haven't personally tried playing 7dtd on linux, I was just curious. Some are saying the native version is terrible so they have to use the wine/proton version, therefore losing EAC protected servers. Per the article from epic it seems that it's just a few clicks to enable, and then some testing per faatal.

 

"To make it easy for developers to ship their games across PC platforms, support for the Wine and Proton compatibility layers on Linux is included. Starting with the latest SDK release, developers can activate anti-cheat support for Linux via Wine or Proton with just a few clicks in the Epic Online Services Developer Portal."

Edited by friendlyx3 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, friendlyx3 said:

Well, per protonDB the overall performance of the native linux version appears to be hit or miss, and that's using just the posts from the last 6 months. I haven't personally tried playing 7dtd on linux, I was just curious. Some are saying the native version is terrible so they have to use the wine/proton version, therefore losing EAC protected servers. Per the article from epic it seems that it's just a few clicks to enable, and then some testing per faatal.

 

"To make it easy for developers to ship their games across PC platforms, support for the Wine and Proton compatibility layers on Linux is included. Starting with the latest SDK release, developers can activate anti-cheat support for Linux via Wine or Proton with just a few clicks in the Epic Online Services Developer Portal."

That true. I don't know the reasons but in my setup 7dtd works better using windows version in ubuntu with proton than the regular linux version. System is AMD (CPU & GPU). Is not so much but in a modest computer even few fps matter

Edited by RBN (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of my favorite A20 changes is that if you have 3 spears on your belt and you throw them all, when you scoop them back up they ALL return to your belt in the right slots. For those of us who love spears this is HUGE!

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Roland said:

One of my favorite A20 changes is that if you have 3 spears on your belt and you throw them all, when you scoop them back up they ALL return to your belt in the right slots. For those of us who love spears this is HUGE!

which by my count is 1 person. 😄

  • Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Dislike 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RBN said:

That true. I don't know the reasons but in my setup 7dtd works better using windows version in ubuntu with proton than the regular linux version. System is AMD (CPU & GPU). Is not so much but in a modest computer even few fps matter

That's quite interesting considering AMD GPU's are what's recommended for linux gaming due to the driver compatibility.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saw the stream it was pretty damn cool i love the new stuff shown

but a few feedback points
 

  •  Feral weight: hes still not scary looking. just give him no skin LMAO
  • Solder: I love the solder and the guts hanging out but the vest.... Its cool on paper but sense 7DTD can't have random bodies/Models per zombie. you got to think about when you see a group of them.  What i would do is keep the model but the vest that is jiggly... just staple it back on, just make it look torn. Aside from that i love it
  • Spider: I love it still
  • Screamer: I love it so much i want to kiss it
  • Cop: the game is set in the future so why is he dressed up like a cop from the 60s. he got a revolver and a Light blue outfit. What i would do is just make his shirt a Navy blue rather then baby blue
  • Radzombie (IM CALLING HIM PAUL): Looks cool Hope he gives me rad damage or heals near by zombies
  • Zombie Doge: I like it but... WHY DOES IT HAVE BALLS! also (this is me sense im just like this) i would make the dog look like a Fully rotten dog, no ears, barely and skin. but keep the outline of the dog. i like to think having generic zombies is best in some parts
  • Nurse: I love her but in the Image i kind of wish they showed her Jaw being broken. 
  • Lab worker: she looks great hope she spawns with the nurse
  • Hazmat. hope they give him something special. Like fire resistance or gives Heavy infection



    Overall can't wait for Alpha 20 but my PC is going to die 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeh the cool special looking things on these new zombies will even further showcase the lack of zombie diversity in game.  It'd be cool if there were regular mundane zombies but when you see 50 soldiers coming at you and they all have the same vest tear and same exact guts bouncing around, it'll really highlight just how badly the game needs variants.

 

Don't get me wrong, they're cool looking AF, but I'm still right.

 

My *recommendation* would be to take a zombie, say the soldier, make ONE version and then have different children on the mesh have the variations, then on spawn roll a random number to decide which child is shown and which is hidden, so that you can have multiple variants using the same model.  One child has the guts, another a bite wound, another a clothing tear, another a sidearm, another a rank insignia, etc... all hidden, then on spawn it decides which 1, 2 or 3 of those children get shown, and voila, instant variants.

 

I know this method already works, because science tells me so. 😃 

  • Like 8
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...