Jump to content

Alpha 20 Dev Diary


madmole

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Roland said:

you want to choose between nails vs nails?

 

More like wood vs cobblestone vs concrete vs steel, with the nailgun no longer being a weapon. Sure, we'll lose the Nail Some Chicks quest but we can survive that.

 

Madmole mentioned that idea on a dev stream long ago.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, dcsobral said:

More like wood vs cobblestone vs concrete vs steel, with the nailgun no longer being a weapon. Sure, we'll lose the Nail Some Chicks quest but we can survive that.

 

Madmole mentioned that idea on a dev stream long ago.

 

 

 

I'm not entirely sure how the particle board blocks will work but if we will be able to upgrade straight to steel instead of going through the upgrade chain, then how would the game decide what material to use? In this scenario I see a radial menu for the stone axe / claw hammer / nail gun being necessary.

 

That is unless you are "forced" to go through all of the upgrade stages in order and we'll just be able to craft the solid versions of each material type. (Ex. Steel blocks.) If this is the case, I'm curious if we'll get XP for placing them, and if so, how much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

 

I'm not entirely sure how the particle board blocks will work but if we will be able to upgrade straight to steel instead of going through the upgrade chain, then how would the game decide what material to use? In this scenario I see a radial menu for the stone axe / claw hammer / nail gun being necessary.

 

That is unless you are "forced" to go through all of the upgrade stages in order and we'll just be able to craft the solid versions of each material type. (Ex. Steel blocks.) If this is the case, I'm curious if we'll get XP for placing them, and if so, how much.

 

I was imagining that the particle board would replace the wood frames, but you'd still have to go through an upgrade path (which will be far simpler in A20).

 

So no going straight from particle board to steel, but particle board -> wood  -> cobblestone (I think? one of them is still there) -> concrete -> steel. Something like that anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JCrook1028 said:

It IS like that tho. rebar frames are gone.

I wasn't talking about that... maybe read again the post I replied to.

2 minutes ago, khzmusik said:

 

I was imagining that the particle board would replace the wood frames, but you'd still have to go through an upgrade path (which will be far simpler in A20).

 

So no going straight from particle board to steel, but particle board -> wood  -> cobblestone (I think? one of them is still there) -> concrete -> steel. Something like that anyway.

Unless they added a "different" particle board for each material type.

Example: if you have concrete blocks in your hand, you select the shape, then place the "concrete particle board" and the upgrade it to concrete.

 

Maybe I'm just dreaming, but if it's like that it would be great! :cool2:

  • Have a Cookie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

I wasn't talking about that... maybe read again the post I replied to.

Unless they added a "different" particle board for each material type.

Example: if you have concrete blocks in your hand, you select the shape, then place the "concrete particle board" and the upgrade it to concrete.

 

Maybe I'm just dreaming, but if it's like that it would be great! :cool2:

 

There better be some very noticeable differences between them if that's going to be the case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Roland said:

 

If they delay A20 for bandits then it will arrive at about the same time that A21 would anyway. So if you feel strongly about your suggestion you can keep playing A19 and ignore A20 and then when A21 releases you can pretend that that is A20 and it was delayed for bandits. It's not like bandits are almost done and they just need to delay things a month or two.

 

So no hate. You do you and we will play A20 this year. :)

 

I appreciate the info on the time frame to complete bandits. I don't feel strongly about it. I felt that the new features would be bandits and water overhaul and I saw both couped into 21. At the time it sounded like bandits could be sneaked into 20 if it was delayed a bit.

  • Dislike 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dcsobral said:

More like wood vs cobblestone vs concrete vs steel, with the nailgun no longer being a weapon. Sure, we'll lose the Nail Some Chicks quest but we can survive that.

 

Madmole mentioned that idea on a dev stream long ago.

 

 

I don’t think I have ever used the nail gun as a weapon. You always have something better on you.

Sort of like throwing rocks, sounds cool and fun mechanic but it simply never works that way.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MechanicalLens said:

 

I'm not entirely sure how the particle board blocks will work but if we will be able to upgrade straight to steel instead of going through the upgrade chain, then how would the game decide what material to use? In this scenario I see a radial menu for the stone axe / claw hammer / nail gun being necessary.

 

That is unless you are "forced" to go through all of the upgrade stages in order and we'll just be able to craft the solid versions of each material type. (Ex. Steel blocks.) If this is the case, I'm curious if we'll get XP for placing them, and if so, how much.

 I answered this somewhere else but it bears repeating. There are only wood frames (particle board) left in the game as far as frames that can be placed and picked up. They upgrade to wood for 10 wood which upgrades to cobblestone for 10 cobblestone which upgrades to Concrete for 10 Concrete Mix which upgrades to Steel for 10 Steel.

 

There are no frames in the game that go directly to steel or concrete or cobblestone. You can craft those blocks and place them using the shape menu or you upgrade to them paying the cost of each resource as you go through the path. If you want to plan using particle board then you place it where you want and then pick it up to replace it with your concrete block but there is no rebar any longer just as cobblestone frames and junk metal frames are no longer.

 

wood frames(particle board) -> Wood -> Cobblestone -> Concrete -> Steel

 

That is the whole path and with a nail gun it would be 3 clicks and cost you 10 wood, 10 cobblestone rocks, and 10 concrete mix. There is no need to differentiate what you have in your inventory because you never have to choose this or that mat. It just follows the path.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

I wasn't talking about that... maybe read again the post I replied to.

Unless they added a "different" particle board for each material type.

Example: if you have concrete blocks in your hand, you select the shape, then place the "concrete particle board" and the upgrade it to concrete.

 

Maybe I'm just dreaming, but if it's like that it would be great! :cool2:

 

Dreaming. If you want to build with concrete without upgrading to it you craft the blocks and place them choosing the shape before you place. If you make a mistake you will be breaking it apart because it can't be picked up. You only get that security by doing the upgrade route starting with wood.

  • Like 1
  • Afraid 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2021 at 12:08 AM, Games'n'Grumble said:

Wait a minute... Does LightLOD mean that we will now see light sources at a distance (even if they are simplified)?

We have had the LightLOD code for 5+ years. I'm fixing problems in it, not making it suck the performance from your computer. ;)

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rescue86k said:

 

I appreciate the info on the time frame to complete bandits. I don't feel strongly about it. I felt that the new features would be bandits and water overhaul and I saw both couped into 21. At the time it sounded like bandits could be sneaked into 20 if it was delayed a bit.

 

No worries. Bandits and water were not features that almost made it in. They have a lot of work needed. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2021 at 10:50 AM, Swiftpaw said:

Is the Vulkan API running well in A20?  It was already running quite well in A19 but had some rare glitches.

 

Can't wait to get back into modding.  So excited for A20!  Hope it gets polished and released before Halloween as suggested!

A20 is on a newer version of Unity, so Vulkan may be better (or same, or worse).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As far as the statement that was made about picking up the corners or the 1000 of odd shapes. If you don't want to upgrade each step and don't want to go through 1000s of shapes to find that odd one you placed down. Simply put the concrete block in hand and look at the odd frame block and do the copy block before picking the frame up. I think I said this right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Roland said:

 

Dreaming. If you want to build with concrete without upgrading to it you craft the blocks and place them choosing the shape before you place. If you make a mistake you will be breaking it apart because it can't be picked up. You only get that security by doing the upgrade route starting with wood.

I see Madmole didn't have time to play test A20 and give feedback... otherwise we would have a much more sleek system now.

Nothing against the QA guys, mind you, but MM has his own Fun Pimp perspective that others lack IMO. :ohwell:

  • Like 2
  • Dislike 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

I see Madmole didn't have time to play test A20 and give feedback... otherwise we would have a much more sleek system now.

Nothing against the QA guys, mind you, but MM has his own Fun Pimp perspective that others lack IMO. :ohwell:

<head tucked down> catches local train to the Bermuda Islands <dont have to stay here to get the brush off... i can go back home>

:)

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Roland said:

 I answered this somewhere else but it bears repeating. There are only wood frames (particle board) left in the game as far as frames that can be placed and picked up. They upgrade to wood for 10 wood which upgrades to cobblestone for 10 cobblestone which upgrades to Concrete for 10 Concrete Mix which upgrades to Steel for 10 Steel.

 

There are no frames in the game that go directly to steel or concrete or cobblestone. You can craft those blocks and place them using the shape menu or you upgrade to them paying the cost of each resource as you go through the path. If you want to plan using particle board then you place it where you want and then pick it up to replace it with your concrete block but there is no rebar any longer just as cobblestone frames and junk metal frames are no longer.

 

wood frames(particle board) -> Wood -> Cobblestone -> Concrete -> Steel

 

That is the whole path and with a nail gun it would be 3 clicks and cost you 10 wood, 10 cobblestone rocks, and 10 concrete mix. There is no need to differentiate what you have in your inventory because you never have to choose this or that mat. It just follows the path.

 

I see, thank you. :)

 

I'm curious if concrete mix will become more expensive as a result of only costing half of it what it does now to upgrade a block to concrete.

 

Do you know if zombies still have that damage multiplier against wood in A20? I believe that's a thing in current versions of the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Devs

We know that you have managed to significantly reduce the generation time of large worlds.

But, did you manage to reduce the amount of memory occupied when using this world during the game?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...