Jump to content

Alpha 20 Dev Diary


madmole

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, SnowDog1942 said:

@madmoleSo the downside I am seeing of this new clothing/armor thing is that my brain will want to always switch sets depending on my activity.   I'm gonna go chop trees.. gotta find my lumberjack clothes and put those on.  I'm going to mine for a while.. Gotta go find my mining outfit and put that one. etc etc etc.   Im going to want to constantly switch outfits depending on what I am doing.. its micromanagement that is not fun, but would help your play.. a lot.

That's a minmaxer creating problems for himself. ;)

Most players don't need to reach 100% in every conceivable stat in order to play the game.

 

5 hours ago, hiemfire said:

@madmole is a radiation resistant lining mod something you guys are considering?

Of course... once radiation is part of the gameplay.

 

1 hour ago, Blake_ said:

No, the game isn't interpreted by you guys as kickstarter nor steam described . Fully destroyable can only be interpreted as "Fully destroyable". And you guys are still cheaping out on the feature. I have faith in you though. Respawning is always easy to implement.

We're not going to remove bedrock which is the vast majority of indestructible blocks in the game.

Traders make up less than 0.5% of the map.

Edited by Gazz (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Have a Cookie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Gazz said:

That's a minmaxer creating problems for himself. ;)

Most players don't need to reach 100% in every conceivable stat in order to play the game.

I'm not a minmaxer, but I definitely will be keeping sets of armor. At least one for mining and one for looting. I can't imagine it being that difficult to manage. What would be cool though is a wardrobe container that holds one of each item. Go in, click on a single button and it swaps everything with your current set.
 

Edited by AtomicUs5000 (see edit history)
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

I'm not a minmaxer, but I definitely will be keeping sets of armor. At least one for mining and one for looting. I can't imagine it being that difficult to manage. What would be cool though is a wardrobe container that holds one of each item. Go in, click on a single button and it swaps everything with your current set.

Are you out of your mind?? You can't do that! That would be MAGIC!!! :eek2:

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Gazz said:

We're not going to remove bedrock which is the vast majority of indestructible blocks in the game.

Traders make up less than 0.5% of the map.

I ain't counting bedrock as a problem. That's a tech limit.

 

Traders are not a tech limit and therefore negatively impact gameplay features (they can delay and nullify wandering hordes, partially protect against hordes and affect creativity due to building constraints in the area)  . And so will main story undestroyable features/entities. I'm just saying... it can be fixed with proper coding exactly as I said in the previous post. Not easily, but definitely not as difficult or time consuming as, say, a shape menu system. Properly done it would improve gameplay and wouldn't affect quests, trading or rewards in the slightest.

 

That said, I understand that there are bigger fishes to fry at the moment.

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)
  • Sad 1
  • Dislike 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gazz said:

Oh, I know. =P

 

It's just neither broken nor a gameplay problem so kinda low priority.

Nonetheless, perhaps reducing the protected areas around traders could be something [low priority] for consideration? It isn't uncommon for POI's beside or in front of them to be partially protected, or at least the ground around them. For example, in my personal world I was going to place a wall three blocks in front of the house I'm staying in to protect from screamers/wandering hordes, but because I'm living in front of the trader my limit is 2 blocks from the walls of the house out front.

Edit: Nevermind, it's a protected chunk. My bad. 😛 Ignore the post above.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Have a Cookie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I saw the indoors darkening effect in the stream. Any chance this gets taken out?

 

It really feel more like a bug than a feature. You can see clearly what's inside a store and after 2 steps your screen dims to complete black. And if the POI has some areas where you go in and out a lot or there's a hole in the roof, your bightness keeps waving up and down.

 

I don't believe it adds much to the game, rather takes away and feels like something is broken in the lighting tech.

  • Like 7
  • Dislike 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gazz said:

That's a minmaxer creating problems for himself. ;)

Most players don't need to reach 100% in every conceivable stat in order to play the game.

 

I totally get what you are saying and ive never considered myself the min/maxer type.  I guess if the bonuses are too good it may affect non min/maxer types as well by being too good to pass up.  
 

There are min/maxers that will do ANYTHING to be more efficient,  but on the opposite end of the spectrum there are gameplay mechanics that encourage tedius micromanagement because they are too good to pass up.  Im NOT saying this is how  it will play out, its just a thought on a possible downside.

 

If jumping in place was was boring and  tedius but healed you — would you accuse people of being a min maxer when they did it? :)
 

By the way I do think the new system sounds interesting and Im looking forward to it in action.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

I totally get what you are saying and ive never considered myself the min/maxer type.  I guess if the bonuses are too good it may affect non min/maxer types as well by being too good to pass up.  
 

There are min/maxers that will do ANYTHING to be more efficient,  but on the opposite end of the spectrum there are gameplay mechanics that encourage tedius micromanagement because they are too good to pass up.  Im NOT saying this is how  it will play out, its just a thought on a possible downside.

 

If jumping in place was was boring and  tedius but healed you — would you accuse people of being a min maxer when they did it? :)
 

By the way I do think the new system sounds interesting and Im looking forward to it in action.  

Oh I will be switching clothes like crazy. Call me what you want. This new system doesn't let any piece of wearable be completely useless for any situation , which is good.

Are you sure you aren't going to suggest a sensual type of clothing for the pool? 

 

49 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Edit: Nevermind, it's a protected chunk. My bad. 😛 Ignore the post above.

Yeah, it is. Someday, though. Someday. 

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Clothing sets for what you plan to do, well, you kinda have that IRL, so don't see a problem for it in game, nor switching to them for the activity.

 

Mining: hard hat. boots. derp.

Farming, chopping etc.

 

Zed killing? Guns. Lotsa guns.   (or  Big f'n guns..  too small.  oh yeah..)

 

If the set bonus are worth it, yep I'll be switching.  (no diff than having coffee for mining, or beer for punchypunch time)

:D

 

(could use a pitchfork for the farmer.  just for the screenshots)   😛

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SnowDog1942 said:

There are min/maxers that will do ANYTHING to be more efficient,  but on the opposite end of the spectrum there are gameplay mechanics that encourage tedius micromanagement because they are too good to pass up.  Im NOT saying this is how  it will play out, its just a thought on a possible downside.

Yes, obviously.

The proposed bonuses seem... really good... but that's just the first pitch. AFAIK no balancing has yet been done in the greater context of all the perks and assorted buffs.

 

We certainly don't want to get back to the Barbie Dressing Game of earlier alphas.

 

Could also have something like a set bonus cooldown.

Sure, you can switch gear anytime but any gear switch disables all these bonuses for 10-15 minutes. Constant switching would not be beneficial.

Edited by Gazz (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, canadianbluebeer said:

Clothing sets for what you plan to do, well, you kinda have that IRL, so don't see a problem for it in game, nor switching to them for the activity.

IRL, you change clothes for an activity that might take hours.   Since time is so condensed in the game, you might be changing outfits every 10-20 minutes which would get a bit tedious.   I'm certainly willing to see how it plays, but my initial thought is that it seems a little too micromanage-y

Link to comment
Share on other sites

May sound far fetched but I think having some sort of water/sea/lake creatures would be really sick. Since I already fear water in games as it is but having something that can scare/kill you then that would add a new aspect to the water within the game. It would be cool to see this at some point within the game. Just curious since I could not watch the stream and I am busy at the moment when would the Alpha20 be out roughly?

 

I really love what you guys are adding to the game. Thank you so much 😀😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, AaronG85 said:

Was thinking what everyone's thoughts would be on if Zombies weren't the only enemy in the game? @madmole

Just wait for Bandits to get added since they will be living people with guns to go up against and later all the NPC that are planed to get added. Also we already have plenty of nonzombie enemies in the form of hostile animals.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Gazz said:

Yes, obviously.

The proposed bonuses seem... really good... but that's just the first pitch. AFAIK no balancing has yet been done in the greater context of all the perks and assorted buffs.

 

We certainly don't want to get back to the Barbie Dressing Game of earlier alphas.

 

Could also have something like a set bonus cooldown.

Sure, you can switch gear anytime but any gear switch disables all these bonuses for 10-15 minutes. Constant switching would not be beneficial.

There's no significant gameplay issues in switching clothes on the spot, specially as it generates inventory management problems by having more than one set on the backpack. No cooldown and letting it be just as it is (sets with no penalties on changing) might be the best design solution. Simple, direct and fun. The implementation of some temporary penalty is interesting and logical, but not really fun in reality, nor in paper.

 

You will understand what I'm saying when vehicle criticals are online and they backlash deeply in the fun factor, and in the short term they will also make running with a buff more efficient than with any vehicle. Sometimes focusing on the micromanaging side of things is worse. Good thing Madmole plays like an tired rabbit and will immediately notice the flaws of any system just by playing and getting frustrated. That's one of the things that make him a good designer. 

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Dislike 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most important question I feel is, will we be seeing any better optimizations to FPS and rendering? I own a 3k pc and watch other streamers with top line rigs having FPS drops and overall bad performance. It’s demoralizing to watch it flatline. :/ 

Thanks for all the hard work you guys are doing! :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MunchoElPunchoTTV said:

May sound far fetched but I think having some sort of water/sea/lake creatures would be really sick. Since I already fear water in games as it is but having something that can scare/kill you then that would add a new aspect to the water within the game. It would be cool to see this at some point within the game. Just curious since I could not watch the stream and I am busy at the moment when would the Alpha20 be out roughly?

 

I really love what you guys are adding to the game. Thank you so much 😀😄

 

Adam, your turn.

 

  • Haha 2
  • Knuckle Rub 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Already looking forward to A20 even with just the bit of info provided from that first stream.  🙂

Wee bit sad the junk drone won't be in a 19.3 or such; was pretty much the last thing my friends and I were wanting to try out in A19, but it is what it is and it's still going to happen rather than be abandoned.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...