Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

16 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Sorry to write here, I don't know where else to ask for this...

@Roland Yesterday I filed a bug report in the proper section, but I realized I didn't fill in the "expected result" part. So I decided to edit my report, but I realized it's not possible! Why? Could you enable the possibility to edit bug reports in the future? Currently, you have to get it right the first time or you're in trouble, because you may have mistyped something or completely missed something that is fundamental for the report to be valid.

Thank you :yo:

Sorry no can do. By request of the QA staff only they can edit posts there. They are kind of control freaks by nature which makes them excellent quality assurance guys....

Best practice is to just reply to your original report to add anything else you need to. Nobody is going to bust your chops for typos or if you left something out at first but added it below later. The smurfs are just neurotic...not psychotic.

7 hours ago, Morloc said:

Sure, but that'd be special loot from a rare POI. We play in a world where we have to work at finding jars to hold water, or the uncommon intact cooking pot. The recipes are mostly just gates for game balance. I'm having fun with the idea that we need instructions on how to make something as simple as bacon & eggs.

If we wanted to be more logical, but less convenient, we could have a book or perk in the cooking tree which allowed for Butchering with everything involving meat (perhaps the exception of Charred Meat) gated behind it. Butchering Book or Perk needed to make those recipes even if you know them. B&E could be a "freebee" when you gain the skill/read the book.

When we get to the point where we need to slaughter pigs ourselves to survive, nobody's going to need to write down the process. Everyone involved will learn first-hand, and remember it vividly.

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

You're getting a lot of mileage from that joke...

Hey MM, you fixed bows... now do spears!!!

I think an interesting fix might be to make the last rank or so, of the spear skill, have a really high headshot damage multiplier... for throw damage only. 

Since spears are so wonky to throw, it would probably not be OP.... but it would make it one of the best 1 shot weapons in the game, if you can land it... and viable on insane.

11 hours ago, LastTugBoat243 said:

"I love the new cities in a20 but wish the cities were packed a lot closer or were built to be like a huge downtown district tight and cramped." :)

Not sure what numbers he used but you could try just increase the min/max tile count for the downtown tiles while reducing all of the others.

5 hours ago, pregnable said:

Hey MM, you fixed bows... now do spears!!!

I think an interesting fix might be to make the last rank or so, of the spear skill, have a really high headshot damage multiplier... for throw damage only. 

Since spears are so wonky to throw, it would probably not be OP.... but it would make it one of the best 1 shot weapons in the game, if you can land it... and viable on insane.

Everyone agrees that spears are the weakest melee weapon in 7D2D right now.

If you had to change something, I' add some improvement to the melee use of the spear, not to the throwing part (which is already good enough).

Once I have a good higher tier spear, I don't even throw it anymore since I'm worried it could glitch into the ground or something. :rolleyes2:

I really enjoy the new RWG but I feel like the stuff outside of downtown is too tightly packed together. You have situations where farms are right up against blocks of industrial buildings. Really feel like the farms need to be spaced further away from the center of towns/cities, same for the residential stuff. There needs to be a buffer between those areas/zones whatever you call them

16 hours ago, Roland said:

Best practice is to just reply to your original report to add anything else you need to. Nobody is going to bust your chops for typos or if you left something out at first but added it below later. The smurfs are just neurotic...not psychotic.

Just checked... it's not even possible to reply! :mmph:

On 1/11/2022 at 12:52 PM, Morloc said:

There'd be no reasonable expectation of a written/printed "recipe" explaining butchering, carving,

So by that reasoning then all recipes involving meat have the same problem. I thought we were discussing bacon in particular. Yes butchering is a different thing.

2 minutes ago, JCrook1028 said:

So by that reasoning then all recipes involving meat have the same problem. I thought we were discussing bacon in particular. Yes butchering is a different thing.

Stew is in both its origin and its essence a way of making the most out of a limited amount of protein.

12 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Everyone agrees that spears are the weakest melee weapon in 7D2D right now.

If you had to change something, I' add some improvement to the melee use of the spear, not to the throwing part (which is already good enough).

Once I have a good higher tier spear, I don't even throw it anymore since I'm worried it could glitch into the ground or something. :rolleyes2:

It just needs a right click to do a regular slow power attack with holding it doing a throw.

Dropping the spear at your feet isn't doing anyone any favors

1 hour ago, bloodmoth13 said:

It just needs a right click to do a regular slow power attack with holding it doing a throw.

Like in the old playthroughs when Madmole would constantly drop weapons...jump out of gyrocopters etc ;)

3 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

Aye, if we're presumed to have butchering skills across the board, then most of the recipes are about cooking means/time, spices, etc. which is fine. Bacon & Eggs however  just needs to be cooked without burning....and presto! It's going to be more like disgusting pork and gross eggs, but tastes great when your other option is a lump of fat from a zombie dog.

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

1 hour ago, bloodmoth13 said:

Could also tie toggling between throwing and a strong thrust to holding the reload key and selecting from a radial menu much like with ammo in the other ranged weapons.

11 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

Could also tie toggling between throwing and a strong thrust to holding the reload key and selecting from a radial menu much like with ammo in the other ranged weapons.

I have though of that too, but I think just making a right click tap do a power thrust without releasing and removing the useless levels of throw should accomplish all that is needed. It saves having to fuss with the radial dial.

For that matter though I also think it would be cool to throw knives with the same method, and I don't mind if it's a radial dial or charge to throw. Daggers could definitely use a longer range attack for stealth kills :p

3 hours ago, bloodmoth13 said:

I disagree. It never gets old when you see one of your mates step forward to take down that zombie and you see the spear drop at their feet. Hilarious!

But yeah, it could be improved.

My new favorite embarrassment is hearing “I need fire by the gate!” on horde night, I oblige by tossing a molatov while forgetting that I need to light it first. As the glass jar just lays there I can almost hear my mates shaking their heads. Good times!

I have a suggestion for Spears.  Remove the ability to throw them. And instead, give us javelins!!! They could stack up to 10, have a cost that is low enough that  you are ok with throwing them but high enough that you actually try to retrieve them.  They should ignore armor and pass through to hit a zombie directly behind your target as well. 

THAT would be cool!

1 hour ago, Lord Morphleyes said:

I have a suggestion for Spears.  Remove the ability to throw them. And instead, give us javelins!!! They could stack up to 10, have a cost that is low enough that  you are ok with throwing them but high enough that you actually try to retrieve them.  They should ignore armor and pass through to hit a zombie directly behind your target as well. 

THAT would be cool!

Another thing that would be cool, would be like a chain mod you can put on your spear, and if the inventory space it occupied stays empty for X seconds, it returns to your action bar. 

It could be a perk or book or whatever, but I think a chain/rope mod would make more sense and be less likely to @%$# people off. 

Then I could actually run around on horde night spamming my good spear, instead of never using spears ever, lel. 

4 hours ago, Roland said:

I disagree. It never gets old when you see one of your mates step forward to take down that zombie and you see the spear drop at their feet. Hilarious!

But yeah, it could be improved.

I stand corrected, the comedy throw has some uses. I think a min throw that matches the stam cost or a regular power attack that keeps the spear in hand.

On 1/13/2022 at 2:47 AM, Red Eagle LXIX said:

So I'm not seeing this enough or repeatable enough to do a bug report but today was yet another occasion where I came upon a POI with the back door already open making it a straight simple down the ladder to the treasure room.  Today was in in house_old_victorian_01.  I did my quick walk around and noticed the vaultHatch was open.

Remember reading this the other day and I know Joe's checked the switch config and as Red Eagle has mentioned - it's not repeatable enough, but I did want to throw in another experience I just had along the same topic.

Driving past the larger COC Chemicals factory in the wasteland city - the one with the twin larger roller doors at the back and heard a garage door open. I play solo, and hadn't explored this part of the map yet, so the area/POI would have freshly loaded. I flipped around to see the garage door opening by itself. Was freaky, seeing as I play Solo. Got out of the 4x4, wandered up and sure enough - it was open. Walked in, killed the zombies and then pressed the button on the inside and the garage door began to close. Thankfully it's a slower one and I made it out or I would have been locked inside seeing as these switches are a 1 shot deal.

So there's definitely something funky with the electricals on these new button/key setups - just not super common. This was on day 41 of my playthrough (2hr days, so 82hrs in) and that's the 1st one I've experienced.

EDIT: 2nd POI in the same playthrough above. Dude Bro's building, same wasteland city. Hadn't been into that POI either, but as I went past I noticed all the loot on ground floor through both doors wide open. Walked in, killed Z's, looted and then checked the keys. Yup - grabbed keys, both doors shut, locking me in. I went out the bulletproof glass right next to where the key button is....structural integrity on that is not great.

I'm gunna load this same seed up on my laptop and fly to both coordinates of the POI's I've found above and see if I can replicate the experience.

Edited by Mungo (see edit history)

• Roland unpinned this topic
  • Roland locked this topic