Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

#DiggingGate again?  I thought we were past that already.  Personally, I'd rather faatal spend his time on bandit AI, getting water to work and maybe rafts working instead.

Maybe the devs will be more open to more options after all of the core features are finished.

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

On 1/11/2022 at 12:56 AM, Laz Man said:

#DiggingGate again?  I thought we were past that already.  Personally, I'd rather faatal spend his time on bandit AI, getting water to work and maybe rafts working instead.

Maybe the devs will be more open to more options after all of the core features are finished.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Gimme the cool stuff. Don't waste time on things that don't matter. And speaking of rafts, any plans on expanding water POIs? Things like docks and things around lakes and rivers would be cool. Although, the current RWG rivers are a bit...cookie cutter. Hopefully bigger, better stamps will be coming for those.

Edited by bdubyah (see edit history)

Hmmm, it seems like the devs and most other people do not care about the blocks I was talking about.  I thought more people would see a problem with them.  Noice. 

I am going to take that as, they see no problem with them, and that I am okay to abuse them any way I can think of.  😉

Great update guys.  I am enjoying it. 

Oh, before I forget, is anyone else getting the zombies glitching into the ground issue? 

It is not a huge deal, but it happened in my friends multiplayer world as well, so it is probably not just me. 

33 minutes ago, pregnable said:

Oh, before I forget, is anyone else getting the zombies glitching into the ground issue? 

Yes it happens sometimes when I combat them in close quarters with my sledge.

I seem to literally punch them into the ground.

Once I had a construction worker guy slammed through a closed door with just the head and stuck there dead, which was really funny and even felt somewhat intended.

I wanted to make a screenshot to post it here, but when I had destroyed the blocks next to the door to get the perspective right, he disappeared/was unloaded, sadly.

Might be something that's hard to avoid with these exaggerated ragdoll effects that send them flying.

But I really like it that way, so I don't see it as an issue, but as a funny feature.

Nothing to fix there 👍

2 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Bandits for sure!

Rafts can be for another game unless yet another AFK construct is in high demand.

Bandits will be what is needed to make late game interesting IMO.  Sure one can RP that they are surviving for a hundred days waiting for rescue and are fighting from getting too bored and making a fatal mistake (only works with "Dead-is-Dead" for me anyway).

After Day 100, I figure my guy has moved on or is rescued by an airship and they travel to New York where 7D2D part 2 will start.  :)  

Edited by Aldranon (see edit history)

43 minutes ago, meilodasreh said:

Nothing to fix there 👍

Oh, well mine do it sometimes on horde night... or uh, night.... anyway... they are still alive and crawling around in the ground, inside the floor tiles voxels. 

I usually just have to try and hit them when the hitbox raises up out of the ground.  Kinda annoying, but also not a huge issue. 

6 hours ago, meilodasreh said:

Yes it happens sometimes when I combat them in close quarters with my sledge.

I seem to literally punch them into the ground.

Once I had a construction worker guy slammed through a closed door with just the head and stuck there dead, which was really funny and even felt somewhat intended.

I wanted to make a screenshot to post it here, but when I had destroyed the blocks next to the door to get the perspective right, he disappeared/was unloaded, sadly.

Might be something that's hard to avoid with these exaggerated ragdoll effects that send them flying.

But I really like it that way, so I don't see it as an issue, but as a funny feature.

Nothing to fix there 👍

Yeah I thought it was working as intended since it is the coolest thing I seen on horde night in awhile. 

20220111_102651.jpg

8 hours ago, Kalex said:

At what game stage are ferals supposed to start spawning? Seeing an awful lot of ferals at extremely low levels.

I think they spawn at night even on day 1, since A19 or maybe earlier.

You also get nastier biome spawns in the commercial and downtown districts.

21 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

So you think everyone knows how to turn a living pig into bacon? And then to cook it over a campfire without burning it? have you ever cooked eggs over a fire? Trust me, it is NOT at all like cooking it on your stove at home. It is VERY easy to completely trash them.

Why would there be a "frontier bacon" recipe in a pre-apocalypse kitchen cupboard?

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

13 minutes ago, JCrook1028 said:

Because they had printed out this:

23 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

So you think everyone knows how to turn a living pig into bacon? And then to cook it over a campfire without burning it?

Nope. Not buying it. That doesn't explain how to go from dead pig to 3 lbs. of pork belly, which is what's really in question.

Exceptions also don't make the rule. There'd be no reasonable expectation of a written/printed "recipe" explaining butchering, carving, smoking, cooking bacon in a home. When I say nobody would have this...sure, there's that one guy; Statistical Anomaly.

I do however completely understand "game balance is balance".

...but it's fun to poke fun at it nonetheless. 

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀 

14 hours ago, Laz Man said:

DiggingGate will disappear as soon as LBDGate goes away........

Question: SMG Turrets and Shotgun Turrets no longer seem to set off demolishers, but junk sledge and junk turrets still do. I didn't see mention of this on either the patch notes nor on the Public A20 KI List yet. Is this a bug? a balance change? intentional difference between turret types?

I appreciate base turrets helping to kill demolishers, but if intentional, it seems odd to me that the *placed* portable turrets weren't also included. 

8 minutes ago, Scythe-Messiah said:

Question: SMG Turrets and Shotgun Turrets no longer seem to set off demolishers, but junk sledge and junk turrets still do. I didn't see mention of this on either the patch notes nor on the Public A20 KI List yet. Is this a bug? a balance change? intentional difference between turret types?

I appreciate base turrets helping to kill demolishers, but if intentional, it seems odd to me that the *placed* portable turrets weren't also included. 

Robotic turrets (and sledges) count as a gun yielded by the person who placed them. The person get the kills, the XP, their perks and attributes count, etc.

Auto Turrets are completely independent of the person who placed them, unless that person has Advanced Engineering 3+. Even then, I don't think the person get the kills nor does any of their perks and attributes count.

Edited by dcsobral
clarify sentences (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Morloc said:

Nope. Not buying it. That doesn't explain how to go from dead pig to 3 lbs. of pork belly, which is what's really in question.

Exceptions also don't make the rule. There'd be no reasonable expectation of a written/printed "recipe" explaining butchering, carving, smoking, cooking bacon in a home. When I say nobody would have this...sure, there's that one guy; Statistical Anomaly.

Statistic Anomaly?  How many egg/bacon recipes are you finding?  In my 8 A20 runs I still have yet to find one.  And while I do assign a perk pretty near the beginning, that can represent all kinds of amassed general knowledge (from reading books, talking to traders, whatever) that allows me to get SOME decent meat from an animal.

Assuming you are referring to a home in a 'city', as I actually have a few friends who live in rural areas nearby, that do know how to prepare pigs, cows, chickens, etc.   Recipes do not have to represent bound books, they could be notes, etc.

Your comments also seem to be based solely upon a 7D2D world happening really quickly in a current time frame.  It doesn't have to be that at all.  It's something that could take a while in a not too distant, but unknown time frame, future.  And while people are dying off, others are doing what they can to stay alive - including sharing knowledge, etc.  How many 7D2D forum visitors play in a nomad style?  (quite a few.  How many nomads would there be in TFP 7D2D future world?)  Couldn't they be sharing recipe knowledge with other people that stayed in a poi, or wrote some things down and accidentally or not left them behind in a poi?

I suspect that once TFP rolls up the game into what they want it to be they'll use very bright people with a LOT of imagination to help define the story and the world and why it works the way it does.  Maybe then 'reality' and 'immersion' will be more 'acceptable'.

Edited by Quantum Blue (see edit history)