Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

19 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

I can already see the rage coming in case this doesn´t happen on the weekend. Why aren´t you giving the streamers a NDA until the date is 100% safe? That hype building and then not delivering is the worst you can do. 

And nope, you can´t blame that on the streamers, if there is no NDA.

I personally don´t care if it´s this or next week. Or even next month. I can wait. But i don´t see why you risk losing reputation for no reason at all.

Some announced, some released a video by accident instead of scheduling it waiting for official notice. 
Those who did I'm sure will explain the folly to their followers. 

Don't get all yer panties in a knot guys, it's a awesome video game, but in the end, it's still just a game ;) 
I'm excited as everyone else, which lead to my hasty error uploading my video. 
It's actually been unlisted until official notice 😛
Just waiting on the official statement hopefully today to either make it public again, or explain my error (which is also posted in the pinned comments, if you've accessed the video)

It's still Capp's fault. 

Yes it is the fault of TFP if they don´t have a NDA with the streamers. @Doomofman explained that correctly.  If anyone thinks that streamers will not announce if they are told there is a chance that it releases than they are naive.

And you are also naive if you think that the internet mob will not blame TFP for letting it happen that a hype builds up.

But let´s see. Still chances that it comes this weekend.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Yes it is the fault of TFP if they don´t have a NDA with the streamers. @Doomofman explained that correctly.  If anyone thinks that streamers will not announce if they are told there is a chance that it releases than they are naive.

And you are also naive if you think that the internet mob will not blame TFP for letting it happen that a hype builds up.

But let´s see. Still chances that it comes this weekend.

lol you act as if the people who announce it don't have a reputation to upkeep as well....  if they don't, well they aren't big enough to make that sort of impact in the first place. 
I don't think you really understand the industry my friend. 

@BFT2020 A legal contract or part of a contract between at least twoparties that outlines confidential material, knowledge, or information that the parties wish to share with one another for certain purposes, but wish to restrict access to.

There. it´s exactly fitting for not telling that it might be out this weekend. Not saying that it actually needs to be legal contract. Would have been enough to tell them to not spoil anything before it´s 100% safe that it´s this weekend.

@skippy0330 Well i do know the internet quite a bit. And the streamers will get away more easily with this. A lot easier. It will be mainly TFP getting @%$# for this.

19 minutes ago, skippy0330 said:

Some announced, some released a video by accident instead of scheduling it waiting for official notice. 
Those who did I'm sure will explain the folly to their followers. 

It's still Capp's fault. 

Looking forward to watching your Alpha 20 playthroughs (and Capp's, can't forget about his)

@Guppycur Need proove? Well it already started. https://steamcommunity.com/app/251570/discussions/0/3196989419238817501/

And you don´t need to tell me that it´s stupid to blame TFP. But it´s the internet. And i do think they shouldn´t have allowed them to do an announcment before they were 100% sure.

25 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@Guppycur Need proove? Well it already started. https://steamcommunity.com/app/251570/discussions/0/3196989419238817501/

And you don´t need to tell me that it´s stupid to blame TFP. But it´s the internet. And i do think they shouldn´t have allowed them to do an announcment before they were 100% sure.

No one in that thread is blaming TFP for the streamers announcing this weekend.

Yeah, but no one is blaming the streamers. TFP get´s blamed already, and it hasn´t even been postponed. You will see in case they can´t make it this weekend. I would bet a lot of money that the streamers won´t get blamed a lot, but TFP will be, if it really doesn´t release. 

I know these type of people from the steamforums. They will blame TFP for poor communication and marketing skill and they already did it a lot.

It seems my english isn´t good enough, people don´t get the point here. TFP will be blamed. Not the streamers. Can´t say it more shortly.

And that could have easily been avoided by a NDA.

Either i really can´t get my point over in english or you guys have never visited the steamforums, facebook or reedit and have absolutly no clue how those kind of people act.

The Ketsup Analogy

My point of view comes from what i've learned about TFP, the forum, and the Game over the years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_vssdys8lk
Over time TFP has built a semi proven marketing plan that seems to still work like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pJ0h9FbDnU
But as the new generations and different varieties of personalities join this is the result.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqtqGzXh4Uw
this is what they get.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uuvQ8xDag4

To summize https://i.pinimg.com/originals/73/9e/b9/739eb9c928b11bba13f69e36816aecf3.png

"When playing a game of cat and mouse...Make sure you're the cat."

In other words stop crying like babies (unless you really are a baby, then WOW you're amazing!).

Your complaints might have worked with your mom, but people who have their own interests in focus will do what's best for them.

TFP want a good product out, because of the obvious if there is even one big error will be "Oh my god after a year it still has bugs!  Oh my god!"

Nobody wants that, except the babies.

2 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

I can already see the rage coming in case this doesn´t happen on the weekend. Why aren´t you giving the streamers a NDA until the date is 100% safe? That hype building and then not delivering is the worst you can do. 

And nope, you can´t blame that on the streamers, if there is no NDA.

I personally don´t care if it´s this or next week. Or even next month. I can wait. But i don´t see why you risk losing reputation for no reason at all.

It's fully on us to make that decision, and if it blows up in our face, then it's on us.

We're told "this is a good likely chance, but nothing confirmed until Rick graces us with his presence and confirms it, do with that info as you wish"

So it's on me, if it's pushed back.

@Capp00 Guys, you don´t need to explain this to me. I understand that. But a lot don´t, that´s the whole point. It will fall back on TFP and not on you. None of your fans will unsubscribe if it´s not releasing.

And it shouldn´t be on you to make the decision. TFP should have told you "No announcment until we know it´s happening"  to avoid stupid people raging hard against TFP.

When has a hype that didn´t live up to it´s expectations ever been a good thing in game development? We have had lots of examples over the years. Avoiding a hype on release dates as much as you can shoud be 101 of development and marketing tbh.

Go trough a few topics regarding A20 and the development time on the steam forums and see for yourself. There is no logic with people like that. Don´t assume they think like you do. They don´t.

16 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@Capp00 Guys, you don´t need to explain this to me. I understand that. But a lot don´t, that´s the whole point. It will fall back on TFP and not on you. None of your fans will unsubscribe if it´s not releasing.

People unsubscribe for not using a tool the way they think I should. Yes, that happens. So ya, if we're wrong and me making the announcement is early, I will lose followers.

17 minutes ago, Doomofman said:

I think the moral of the story is that this is all somehow Lathan's fault....

If you watch the Dev Streams closely, every time a Dev mentions "the bug count is.." or "Maybe we'll all be playing A20 while eating Thanksgiving turkey.." Lathan cringes.

9 minutes ago, Capp00 said:

People unsubscribe for not using a tool the way they think I should. Yes, that happens. So ya, if we're wrong and me making the announcement is early, I will lose followers.

...And shortly thereafter you'll gain plenty more subs to replace them. ;) A20 will breathe fresh life into the game, as we can all agree upon.

10 minutes ago, PBRstreetgang said:

If you watch the Dev Streams closely, every time a Dev mentions "the bug count is.." or "Maybe we'll all be playing A20 while eating Thanksgiving turkey.." Lathan cringes.

You don't even have to watch that closely, he's pretty blatant about it 😂

49 minutes ago, Capp00 said:

And what if you fall down under the 5K limit?? :scared:

You won't even be able to stream A20 Exp anymore!! :shocked:

1 hour ago, Capp00 said:

It's fully on us to make that decision, and if it blows up in our face, then it's on us.

We're told "this is a good likely chance, but nothing confirmed until Rick graces us with his presence and confirms it, do with that info as you wish"

So it's on me, if it's pushed back.

...as one of the streamers who's actually followed this game from well, a very f'ing long time, I think you'll be fine.  You've got the 7day street cred for a flub, *if* you end up being wrong, which I don't think you will be.

Y'all are way over thinking it anyway. Even if it doesn't end up happening this weekend 98% of the fanbase prob wouldn't even notice. We are a minority of the minority, most won't even know A20 is a thing until the full update is out and steam updates it for them

Just now, Khalagar said:

Y'all are way over thinking it anyway. Even if it doesn't end up happening this weekend 98% of the fanbase prob wouldn't even notice. We are a minority of the minority, most won't even know A20 is a thing until the full update is out and steam updates it for them

you sure about that xD

• Roland unpinned this topic
  • Roland locked this topic