Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

I have it on good authority (a shaman in Papua New Guinea) that November 26 will be the day.

On the other hand MechanicalLens has found out via a friend of a friend sitting in the Vatican that it will be November 19, but he wants to keep it a secret and tries to distract with talk about "nasty rumors".

There is a rumor that the G7 states have intervened and demand TFP to not publish before Dezember. I have no information whether TFP will comply to this.

A well respected medium tried an ouija board and actually came up with November 12, but reading of a goose liver revealed the ghost to be a prankster.

#This just in!!!#

The CCP has informed the United Nations they will invade the Fun Pimps as they say the Zombie wasteland is their rightful wasteland!  They will reconsider if TFP release A20 as soon as possible, and not one day after!

#That is all#

Will A21 be released this time next year? Also after A21 will A22 be the beta version? 

In a perfect world this game would stay in alpha for the next ten years always updating to give us new experiences. To me 7 days to die is like a Linux distribution. Never complete always upgrading, always changing. 

3 hours ago, meganoth said:

I have it on good authority (a shaman in Papua New Guinea) that November 26 will be the day.

On the other hand MechanicalLens has found out via a friend of a friend sitting in the Vatican that it will be November 19, but he wants to keep it a secret and tries to distract with talk about "nasty rumors".

There is a rumor that the G7 states have intervened and demand TFP to not publish before Dezember. I have no information whether TFP will comply to this.

A well respected medium tried an ouija board and actually came up with November 12, but reading of a goose liver revealed the ghost to be a prankster.

Im guessing all of your posts are this accurate? 🤣👍

21 hours ago, geomaticist said:

If there is some way to donate - don't flame me as I don't actually know.

Buy merchandise if you want to send additional support.

4 hours ago, Khalagar said:

I don't know if there's any dev that's as actually good at the game as Madmole

That's quite funny.

@faatal I have a few questions about the Feral Sense Option:

1. The option is said to double the overall range of the entities (except Zombie bears, which you said they have a bit less than double for balance reasons) How much is it in numbers for a normal Zd/feral Zd/animal Zd ?

2. Does the range differ from entity to entity? Like normal zd: from 25 to 50 range with the option and a Feral zd from 40 to 80 or something like that?

3. Does the feral sense option apply only to biome spawns and random hordes or does it affect in any way for example an already awoken sleeper within a certain range?

4. Are living animals affected or only undead entities (including dogs and Zd bears) ?

On 10/30/2021 at 9:29 AM, Roland said:

"enough" is subjective and usually never satisfied.

"Way way more than we've ever had ever in this game after years of prefabbers already playing around making prefabs anyway" is objectively true.

true true. As long as they decoration so we can make specific type of prefabs. Like if I want to make a true bank prefab it kinda needs an ATM decoration block.

4 hours ago, Blake_ said:

I have a few questions about the Feral Sense Option:

Adding on to this, did they ever update the heat map similar to how it used to be? I know cooking meat / carrying meat etc used to trigger zombies, I could have sworn light shining through windows would draw them in. Anymore I don't even have windows, I build a beacon for all to see within miles around, with forges and vampires roaring and torches lighting it up from the inside and outside like a Christmas tree, and zombies don't care

45 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

Adding on to this, did they ever update the heat map similar to how it used to be? I know cooking meat / carrying meat etc used to trigger zombies, I could have sworn light shining through windows would draw them in. Anymore I don't even have windows, I build a beacon for all to see within miles around, with forges and vampires roaring and torches lighting it up from the inside and outside like a Christmas tree, and zombies don't care

Torches, campfires and forges do increase heat in an area. Breaking things also does. The rate? The more campfires, forges ...etc,   the faster screamers will come once they start coming, with little pause in between.

Shooting, breaking wood spikes over again and also hitting metal are good ways to call a screamer.

Smell is no longer a thing, but I would love to see zds and animals attack storage containers made by the player (with food inside). That would be awesome and a good way to bring a part of that gameplay without performace drawbacks.

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)

32 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

but I would love to see zds and animals attack storage containers made by the player

This could be neat, especially since most people don't worry about losing resources to zeds unless they dig under your base and drop it.  If they attacked "your stuff" you would have an incentive to build your base to also also protect your possessions (and while looting, like in your vehicle/temp storage), and zeds might path (and destroy) to your chests/workstations/generators/etc instead of just you, so you couldn't just leave them unattended (maybe without traps/protection/etc.

1 hour ago, doughphunghus said:

This could be neat, especially since most people don't worry about losing resources to zeds unless they dig under your base and drop it.  If they attacked "your stuff" you would have an incentive to build your base to also also protect your possessions (and while looting, like in your vehicle/temp storage), and zeds might path (and destroy) to your chests/workstations/generators/etc instead of just you, so you couldn't just leave them unattended (maybe without traps/protection/etc.

at higher game stage levels where the vomiters attack.. that pretty green stuff WILL eat the containers if they get hit ... :)

5 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

at higher game stage levels where the vomiters attack.. that pretty green stuff WILL eat the containers if they get hit ... :)

Naah. I'm talking specific targeting of your food containters by all the entities and predators (or even a special infected "sniffer"), not fortuitous damage that might or might not result in storage loss depending on your positioning (above ground or under).

But I'm partial to a special "digger zd" that goes for the containers and can target them wherever they are.

25 minutes ago, Gazz said:

That only enforces more gamey behaviour like placing your horde base far away from your living base.

I don't see why you would want that.

Who would ever do that??

Real men/women don't need no sissy walls.   It just slows down on the kill'n that needs to be done!

My horde base is a six-pack of beer and something that causes them zombies to stop a mov'n!

1 hour ago, Gazz said:

That only enforces more gamey behaviour like placing your horde base far away from your living base.

True if it's based on the heatmap. But.... what if predator AI and/or some special infected has that behaviour of targeting storage with food ? Then it wouldn't enforce that "gamey behaviour" you talk about any more than it already does, as no matter where you settle, critters will get to your food if you didn't build any defense. Granted somebody would need to be in the area, because if it isn't loaded, nobody would witness stuff happening (of course).

1 hour ago, Gazz said:

Well, people tend to have *light* defenses around their base but not the kind to stop a 7 day horde.

Of course, in order to avoid that, there can be some gamestage limiter to the frequency of those spawns/actions . Or even X amount of food containers/resources for it to trigger that behaviour in predators/entities and become dangerous.

Two positive things to consider a change in AI that allows predators/some entities to destroy food storages:

1. Madmole cursing and running.

2. Madmole cursing and shouting while running.

It's worth it . Totally worth it.

4 hours ago, Gazz said:

It'd be like wandering hordes in the past, the attacks would happen even in uninhabited chunks.  Besides, who uses their home base as their horde base anyway?

I feel like not using your main base as your hoard base is kind of an optimizing the fun out of the game moment. the same was true for sky or bedrock bases.

You are here for the zombie apocalypse movie experience..   having a dedicated hoard base kinda undermines that. but this is just my opinion.

Admittedly i feel that is more of an issue of the game advertising  when its gona murder you ahead of time.. something that is already unrealistically courteous .

It would be more difficult to pull off a horde base if the hordes gave no warning. But that could be a little unfair .. so at the end of the day its up the player to maintain the spirit of the whole situation and not go too overboard trying to exploit it into being trivial 

Edited by saltychipmunk (see edit history)