Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

6 hours ago, Blake_ said:

It's still a waste of a pet project. Did you see the current pet projects of the team? 

Zombie animals! Dismemberment(was a pet project)! Underground caves and full-city sewers! Heck, even flying zombie squirrels or the Raft!

Yeah, you get the point. Those features trump "instagram procedural make-up integration".

Sorry, I missed the memo where others were deemed as the judge and jury of what people can do on their free time.

It's a good thing the TFP don't have the same attitude you have on other people's passions and ideas

Edited by BFT2020 (see edit history)

I mean, I won't use the twitch integration.

BUT, I've poked it with a stick in A19. The extra passive effects that come with it? So useful for modding that it's not even funny.

And yes, it's prime's pet project. So what? Dev's need stuff like that to distract from the grind and keep their motivation up. This is not a bad thing.

Which brings up a question I would LOVE to ask...

How many features exist in 7DTD because one of the dev's went "I would love to see X. I'll do it in my spare time and see what the rest of the team thinks"?

3 minutes ago, KhaineGB said:

I mean, I won't use the twitch integration.

BUT, I've poked it with a stick in A19. The extra passive effects that come with it? So useful for modding that it's not even funny.

And yes, it's prime's pet project. So what? Dev's need stuff like that to distract from the grind and keep their motivation up. This is not a bad thing.

Which brings up a question I would LOVE to ask...

How many features exist in 7DTD because one of the dev's went "I would love to see X. I'll do it in my spare time and see what the rest of the team thinks"?

I guess the barbed wire fences were created because a designer thought a bit too literally "I would love to see X" 😉

5 hours ago, Gazz said:

How dare you use metric against a US developer!

Because we prefer to be 180 cm tall that 5 feets and 10   55/64 iches . Feets are good for @SnowDog1942 😏

14 minutes ago, meganoth said:

I guess the barbed wire fences were created because a designer thought a bit too literally "I would love to see X" 😉

Damnnnn thx @meganoth ! NEW OBSESSION -  razor barbed wire - just another shape of barbed wire - this same "block" just another style

Granica polsko-białoruska. Liny, haki, drut kolczasty i ostrzowy. 'Płot  Błaszczaka' w budowie

...for the record, I'm absolutely ok with devs doing whatever they want in their free time, from playing other games to coding pet projects to bring to the team, to guitar to sleeping.

I'm not sure why some people's privilege makes them think it's okay to criticize what people do, but whatever. 

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Criticizing what others do on their free time is what some people like to do on their free time. We shouldn't judge.

i agree with you. I hate when people judge me because  i keep people under my newsstand to create zombie virus. Hobby is hobby right? and i do it in my free time so.... :angel2:

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)

4 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Sorry, I missed the memo where others were deemed as the judge and jury of what people can do on their free time.

It's a good thing the TFP don't have the same attitude you have on other people's passions and ideas

I just gave an opinion, which is a kind of judgement. It's a passionate one, sure... but...Why do you deem judge and jury of my judgement? Judging by your speech, you are just here to judge other's opinions for I'm yet to see your own. It's a forum, chill. Twitch is online. Integrate. 

51 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

I just gave an opinion, which is a kind of judgement. It's a passionate one, sure... but...Why do you deem judge and jury of my judgement? Judging by your speech, you are just here to judge other's opinions for I'm yet to see your own. It's a forum, chill. Twitch is online. Integrate. 

It may have been an opinion, but some opinions are better kept to yourself. I think it should be the goal of everyone here (devs and players) to keep the conversation civil. If you were a developer and created something in your free time that you are passionate about, how would you feel if some rando told you your work is a waste of time? Sure you might be thick-skinned and it just rolls off your back, but that is not true for everyone.

My TL;DR is this: your initial comment was objectively poor in taste and your dislike of twitch integration could have been said without putting down someone else's work.

28 minutes ago, Syphon583 said:

It may have been an opinion, but some opinions are better kept to yourself. I think it should be the goal of everyone here (devs and players) to keep the conversation civil. If you were a developer and created something in your free time that you are passionate about, how would you feel if some rando told you your work is a waste of time? Sure you might be thick-skinned and it just rolls off your back, but that is not true for everyone.

My TL;DR is this: your initial comment was objectively poor in taste and your dislike of twitch integration could have been said without putting down someone else's work.

In no way did I meant to be a tutor of anyone's free time. I said it's a well done feature and I don't like it AT ALL with enphasis in that last part, with an statement about what I think I'd rather see them do/ get implemented, which is just an opinion, no matter how low do you think of it. I'm completely unaware that they do pet projects on their free time, which I believe isn't exactly true once they get  green lighted. When did this turn into politics? I plead whatever it is I must plead. 

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)

22 hours ago, Blake_ said:

Nobody is going to care about that feature in 30 years,  but they WILL remember the game.

Since you can see the future would you mind sharing some winning lottery numbers too? Seriously tho, I see online gaming such as Twitch growing not shrinking...

14 minutes ago, JCrook1028 said:

Since you can see the future would you mind sharing some winning lottery numbers too? Seriously tho, I see online gaming such as Twitch growing not shrinking...

I'm sorry, I have winning lottery numbers, but only for my town's fridge lottery integration. I've been designing and building that lottery system for a few months now. It sure is fun. I see lottery in my hometown growing, not shrinking in 30 years time. Yet the fridge (7dtd)? Who cares about it? Let's just have fun, what matters is the present. As I said My opinion.

43 minutes ago, JCrook1028 said:

The population who absolutely loathe watching other people play games will eventually die out. The rising generation accepts it wholeheartedly and their children are sure to embrace it as well. I can see someone who hates the whole Twitch scene wishing that Lathan had spent his free time creating something different for the game and feeling like they wanted to express that. I am perfectly tolerant of streaming and think the integration feature is pretty genius. 

If Lathan had spent his free time making zip lines a reality I'd be a whole lot happier.... ;)

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

37 minutes ago, Roland said:

The population who absolutely loathe watching other people play games will eventually die out. The rising generation accepts it wholeheartedly and their children are sure to embrace it as well. I can see someone who hates the whole Twitch scene wishing that Lathan had spent his free time creating something different for the game and feeling like they wanted to express that. I am perfectly tolerant of streaming and think the integration feature is pretty genius. 

If Lathan had spent his free time making zip lines a reality I'd be a whole lot happier.... ;)

Its worth mentioning...again...that the frame work under the twitch integration can and will most likely be used for other things.  Big picture guys.  Think positively...😁

40 minutes ago, Roland said:

I feel the same way. As a marketing feature it is genius and it offers a nice entertainment bonus to an already amazing game. As of his free time...  my jam aren't ziplines though. Caves maybe? Oh, my, that explains a lot.

• Roland unpinned this topic
  • Roland locked this topic