Jump to content

Alpha 20 Dev Diary


madmole

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, Roland said:

 

You spoke for 6 Linux users. Since the actual number is 9 you were clearly speaking for the majority of them.

I looked for Steam Statistics. As of September 2021 (Last month) these are the percentages of players using the various Linux-based OS (for the whole of Steam)

 

Spoiler
  
Linux                                       1.05%
trans.gif
Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS 64 bit      0.16%

 

trans.gif
"Manjaro Linux" 64 bit           0.14%

 

trans.gif
"Arch Linux" 64 bit                0.12%

 

trans.gif
Ubuntu 21.04 64 bit             0.07%

 

trans.gif
Linux Mint 20.2 64 bit          0.06%

 

 

Steam has around 120 million players worldwide (2020). So it's probably 10 Linux users playing 7dtd. 11 on sundays.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@faatal in the last dev stream there were talks about an option for death penalty intensity. I've always found the game to be too lenient on that front, and yet the extreme opposite would be buggy due to bleeding and 100% infection after death having a guaranteed death-loop chance. 

 

Are there plans for such an option? Something like:

 

Mild : Like now.

Tough : Same xp penalty. Maintain pre-death debuffs and hunger/water meters (but eliminate bleeding and reduce infection by X amount to avoid death loops)

Extreme : 80% xp penalty+ reduce food and water by a further 10% under the pre-death status + maintain debuffs (without bleed and reduce a bit infection to avoid death loops for a bit).

 

And/or others, like:

 

Permadeath : Delete savegame on death (In-game rewards allow for extra lives with the mentioned Extreme penalty maybe?)

Permadeath+: Delete savegame on death period  (lol, there's actually quite the demand for that).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

That is strictly a personel choice.

 

My last several playthroughs in Alpha19 (break until Alpha20 comes out to give me a chance to play games I neglected, like BattleTech) I did builds where my focus was either on Perception, Agility, or Intelligence.  And yes, I only play SP.

 

Sure I could go Strength; and sure, it would allow me to do speed runs through POIs and make me OP to anything the hordes can throw at me....but where is the enjoyment in making the game easier for me?  I want to fight off wandering hordes with nothing but my knife; I want to have to take my time to clear out a POI using caution and cleverness, not just walk through it like a tank (or run though it).

 

Well done, you're a true gamer in the best sense of the word.

 

I do that sometimes, but the temptation is always there to go down the "Dark side"... or more accurately, the OP side.  :)

39 minutes ago, Luke17 said:

Permadeath is awesome, makes you play the game in a different way. But I feel its very easy to play self regulated Permadeath without the neeed for a built in option?

 

I allow myself one fall from a gyrocopter, if I do it again (90% of my deaths) the game is done.  I don't use gyrocopters until late game (obviously) by then I'm a bit bored with my invincible setup anyways.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Blake_ said:

@faatal in the last dev stream there were talks about an option for death penalty intensity. I've always found the game to be too lenient on that front, and yet the extreme opposite would be buggy due to bleeding and 100% infection after death having a guaranteed death-loop chance. 

 

Are there plans for such an option? Something like:

 

Mild : Like now.

Tough : Same xp penalty. Maintain pre-death debuffs and hunger/water meters (but eliminate bleeding and reduce infection by X amount to avoid death loops)

Extreme : 80% xp penalty+ reduce food and water by a further 10% under the pre-death status + maintain debuffs (without bleed and reduce a bit infection to avoid death loops for a bit).

 

And/or others, like:

 

Permadeath : Delete savegame on death (In-game rewards allow for extra lives with the mentioned Extreme penalty maybe?)

Permadeath+: Delete savegame on death period  (lol, there's actually quite the demand for that).

 


If u are in this game for the “survival aspect” I just dont see anyway to play but permadeath.  Without permadeath it just makes everything pointless (even eating) from a survival point of view.  


I find it odd when people complain about it being too “arcady” and not having enough “immersion”.  How about u take your time and try not to die, ever, then its not arcady.  Then if you do die, wipe your save because rising back from the dead (as a human) and continuing right where u left off would just break your so called immersion.

Edited by SnowDog1942 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SnowDog1942 said:


If u are in this game for the “survival aspect” I just dont see anyway to play but permadeath.  Without permadeath it just makes everything pointless (even eating) from a survival point of view.  


I find it odd when people complain about it being too “arcady” and not having enough “immersion”.  How about u take your time and try not to die, ever, then its not arcady.  Then if you do die, wipe your save because rising back from the dead (as a human) and continuing right where u left off would just break your so called immersion.

Snowdog :

*Plays permadeath every time*

 

637485758 gameplay hours.

 

Never went further than day 21. Too many beauties in the Salon POI. 

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SnowDog1942 said:


If u are in this game for the “survival aspect” I just dont see anyway to play but permadeath.  Without permadeath it just makes everything pointless (even eating) from a survival point of view.  


I find it odd when people complain about it being too “arcady” and not having enough “immersion”.  How about u take your time and try not to die, ever, then its not arcady.  Then if you do die, wipe your save because rising back from the dead (as a human) and continuing right where u left off would just break your so called immersion.

And you can even fine tune this by decreasing Loot abundance and XP in the settings, also increase loot respawn time so you cant just do the same route and have to venture further afield. 

 

you really can fine tune the game to be as hard or easy as you like.

 

Permadeath with Loot respawn at 30 days, XP and Loot abundance turned down and zombie speeds adjusted can make for a hard and rewarding survival play. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A permadeath option would be awesome. So would be an option for less benefits to dying. Honestly I personally consider refilling food and water bars and curing all criticals way more gamebreaking than the actual death itself.

 

I mean, death is eventually going to happen. 7dtd enjoys killing players. If you are playing with grandpa you will not say NO. STAPH PLAYING and instead will endure as many deaths as it takes for the sake of a good time. A better time if there are deaths with tunned options that don't reward you food, drink and medicine for failing.

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Guppycur said:

 

...they're the Linux users of the player base. :)

 

important?  Sure.  But there's only six of them.

 

/Runs away 

 

12 hours ago, Guppycur said:

Lemme know where I did that, thanks.

 

...no?  :)

 

Its a small stretch but with saying that only the minority likes to play INT you made yourself the speaker for a majority proclaiming: "We don't want to play INT".

 

PS: Linux user here. We might reach the 10 in this forum alone. 😉

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Blake_ said:

@faatal in the last dev stream there were talks about an option for death penalty intensity. I've always found the game to be too lenient on that front, and yet the extreme opposite would be buggy due to bleeding and 100% infection after death having a guaranteed death-loop chance. 

 

Are there plans for such an option? Something like:

 

...

 

Permadeath : Delete savegame on death (In-game rewards allow for extra lives with the mentioned Extreme penalty maybe?)

Permadeath+: Delete savegame on death period  (lol, there's actually quite the demand for that).

 

well, how about just deletes the character profile? this way you can set permadeath for MP games and servers. would work for sp as well and all containers would be locked, and defenses would then target the new player and the land claim would belong to as far as the server is concerned, to another player.

 

PS. faatal and other employees do not count for guppy's linux "player" base. even tho they play, they are employees of the game.

Edited by wolfbain5 (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello, dear team. I again come! Yes, this time I still is to ask the application of A20 test qualified.
Player, I am from China is also a game anchor.
Computer translation, if there is any incorrect, you can copy the following Chinese, translation under try again.
 

Just now, bilibili-wayne said:

你好,亲爱的团队。我又来了!是的,这次我还是要求申请A20测试合格。
玩家,我来自中国也是游戏主播。
电脑翻译,如有不妥,可以复制以下中文,翻译下再试。
 

亲爱的开发组,你们好。我又来了!没错,这次我依旧是来寻问申请A20测试资格的。
我是来自中国地区的玩家,也是一名游戏主播。
电脑翻译,如果有任何不正确的地方,你可以复制以下中文,再次翻译下试试。

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

 

 

Its a small stretch but with saying that only the minority likes to play INT you made yourself the speaker for a majority proclaiming: "We don't want to play INT".

 

PS: Linux user here. We might reach the 10 in this forum alone. 😉

 

 

We just might.   My penguin and I  have the M60 and Shotgun ready.

:popcorn:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

 

 

Its a small stretch but with saying that only the minority likes to play INT you made yourself the speaker for a majority proclaiming: "We don't want to play INT".

 

PS: Linux user here. We might reach the 10 in this forum alone. 😉

 

Tying my joke observation to a statement that I'm "speaking for" people is more than a "small stretch" but whatever you gotta do to sleep at night.

 

I am actually curious what the Mac/Nix ratio is though.  I also wonder how much work tfp has to really do to support those os's or if unity does the brunt of it, but I'm a curious person. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Luke17 said:

Permadeath with Loot respawn at 30 days, XP and Loot abundance turned down and zombie speeds adjusted can make for a hard and rewarding survival play. 

 

Self imposed permadeath, zombie speed increased, loot respawn OFF, loot abundance turned down, but xp gain turned UP.

 

These settings create an imbalance between game stage and loot allowing higher tier zombies to show up sooner without as much loot to deal with them. Add in one of the other (non strength) perk builds and you're in for some interesting game play!

 

Hmm maybe an intelligence build? 🤔😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, SnowDog1942 said:

Then if you do die, wipe your save because rising back from the dead (as a human) and continuing right where u left off would just break your so called immersion.

What about adding an option that after dying, you don't rise from the dead as a human, but as one of the Zeds (which would be much more immersive and even logical).

And from there on you are doomed to play as a sleeper, standing around somewhere in a POI hidden inside a cabinet, and wait.

 

The only thing you can do is (left click to) produce some grunting/snoring noises, and hope to have a player come by whom you can scare (fun part of it)

...which would mostly lead to immediate death by headshot.

 

Then the game uninstalls itself automatically and you have to buy a new copy to start over as a human player again.

 

The permadeath playstyle guys would definitely love it, finally a big incentive to survive.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, wolfbain5 said:

well, how about just deletes the character profile? this way you can set permadeath for MP games and servers. would work for sp as well and all containers would be locked, and defenses would then target the new player and the land claim would belong to as far as the server is concerned, to another player.

 

PS. faatal and other employees do not count for guppy's linux "player" base. even tho they play, they are employees of the game.

I don't use the Linux. All Windows here. Well, a bit of Mac if I have to. :yuck:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Guppycur said:

Tying my joke observation to a statement that I'm "speaking for" people is more than a "small stretch" but whatever you gotta do to sleep at night.

 

I am actually curious what the Mac/Nix ratio is though.  I also wonder how much work tfp has to really do to support those os's or if unity does the brunt of it, but I'm a curious person. 

 

 

 I am allowed joke observations too. Notice the smiley on that post.

 

I think I got my a** covered 😇

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bilibili-wayne said:

Hello, dear team. I again come! Yes, this time I still is to ask the application of A20 test qualified.
Player, I am from China is also a game anchor.
Computer translation, if there is any incorrect, you can copy the following Chinese, translation under try again.
 

亲爱的开发组,你们好。我又来了!没错,这次我依旧是来寻问申请A20测试资格的。
我是来自中国地区的玩家,也是一名游戏主播。
电脑翻译,如果有任何不正确的地方,你可以复制以下中文,再次翻译下试试。

 

Please message me privately about your application. This isn't the right place to post it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Roland unpinned this topic
  • Roland locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...