madmole

Alpha 20 Dev Diary

Welcome to the Alpha 20 Dev Diary. Here we will discuss upcoming features for Alpha 20.

Alpha 20 Dev Stream Videos

1) Alpha 20 First Look with Prime and Madmole October 28th, 2020

2) Alpha 20 Developer Live Stream November 25th, 2020

Alpha 20/21 Roadmap

1) Unity Update

• TFP will be working with Unity devs directly 

2) Random Generation Update

• New stamp tech that will allow artist created features such as mountains, hills, rivers, etc. to be placed in biomes. There will be a stable of different land features for the game to choose from.
  • Additional controls in the map generation interface to give players more options for terrain generation such sliders to determine mountainous vs flat (for example).
  • Biome selectors and city selectors to allow users to control the density of these map features.
  • 6k, 8k, and 10k map sizes planned

3) Vehicle Mods

• Tinting mask will allow vehicles to have color details added to differentiate vehicle owners better

4) Shape Menu and Building Update

• Details Coming

5) Dynamic Imposters

• Changes to the world and player built forts will be represented in distant terrain

6) Micro Splat Improvements

• Details Coming

7) Feral Sense Game Option

• Set zombies to different states of awareness from dumb to feral

8.) Biome Difficulty

• Snow and Desert will have gamestage boost creating tougher enemies and better loot
  • Wasteland will have a greater gamestage boost creating even tougher enemies and even better loot

9) Pipe Weapons for Primitive Tier

• Pipe Rifle
  • Pipe Pistol
  • Pipe Baton
  • Pipe Shotgun

10) Trader to Trader progression

• Details Coming

11) Water Overhaul

• Details Coming

12) Loot Progression and Gamestaging Improvements

• Details Coming

13) Character Overhaul

• Replace UMA system with in-house custom system
  • Thematic outfits will work like books. Wear the complete outfit and get a completion perk
  • Current 10 armor/clothing slots reduced to 4 slots for outfits that will merge both clothing and armor values. No more clipping issues of wearing clothing under armor. Better balance on number of mod slots available to use with outfits.
  • Foundation for Bandits

14) New POI's and Environment Art

• New Gas Station

15) AI and Sleeper Improvements

• Zombies can crawl through 1-meter holes
  • Wandering Sleepers

16) Dynamic Music and Ambient Audio Improvements

• Details Coming

17) Animation Improvements

• Details Coming

18) Digging Quest Improvements

• Details Coming

19) Restore Power Quest

• Lights go out when rally marker is activated
  • Find the generators and repair them

20) New Zombies/ Entities

• Nurse
  • Drone
  • Screamer
  • Fat Cop
Edited by Roland (see edit history)
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 2

Are additional debuffs or penalties for overheating/hypothermia going to be added in A20? Not so much of a request, more of a fleeting thought.

Also, will the trader compounds get updated at some point? They look decent right now, but perhaps they could do with a touch up.

16 minutes ago, doughphunghus said:

Are bandits, drones, or any new entities going to make an appearance?

The Robotic Drone should be in A20. Some code work may start on bandits, but they won't be in a20.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Dislike 1

I assume that traders are still planned to be balanced with loot progression in A20. Does this include quest rewards? In A19 I've almost abandoned doing quests due to me being unwilling to accept a near-stack of ammo, a stack of throwables, a high tier weapon for a lower tier quest, etc. (without selling them right after).

Also, will traders be getting a reputation system towards the player? (ex. more quests completed = slightly higher chance of better rewards, and/or failure of quests might result in some sort of punishment like temporary increased prices).

• Like 1

I like the stuff shown/talked about in the streaming video. The path ahead seems solid and looks very good. I mean we will whine a bit about some stuff, but still. Cool.

• Like 2

Final question for tonight. In the future will there be an option available where the player could identify their game's seed by typing in a command in the control menu (or under "F1"). For example, " /seed " or " /worldseed " This will save some people the trouble of having to dig into their files if they happen to forget.

Here is a copy and paste of my notes that I took during the A20 Dev Talk stream tonight. :)

A20 Roadmap notes.  Many of these will get details in later A20 Dev Talk Streams

Unity Update as we expected.
RWG is getting more work.
Vehicle Mods 
Shape Menu 
They are working on Updating Distant POIs/Terrain.  Not sure if it will make A20
Microsplat terrain is getting some performance updates
Feral Sense game option.   Lets you set how easily zombies see/hear you.  From dumber than now up to Horde Night GPS all the time :)
Biome Progression.   Some biomes will be harder than normal.  Snow/Dessert with Wasteland hardest
Pipe Rifle, Pipe Pistol, Pipe MG(???)  Pipe Baton.
Water is being redone
Loot Progression/GameStage tweaking based off data from A19 Gamesparks telemetry.    Trader will be Gamestaged but probably a bonus over POI loot.   
Character Model Overhaul.
More POIs
more environment art (aka new blocks shapes for POI designers)
1 meter entrances for crawling zombies.... scary
Some "sleepers" will be walking around instead of just sitting/standing
Ambient Music improvements
Existing Quest improvements.  multiple tabs of quests so you can run lower tier than the max you unlocked.  5 quests per tier instead of 5 total to choose from. 
Restore Power Quest
More new Zombies (New Zombie Nurse with Jiggle Physics but on her dangling Jawbone :) )
Doors are getting reworked.
new farm block model.

Character Model Overhaul details (still in progress)
---
old Clothing UMA system going away  replaced with code they developed.
There are themed outfit sets.
Each piece gives you bonuses (with QL level making them better)
Full Set bonus for wearing an entire set pure
Clothing often have some armor value as well
Example themes include Farmer, Lumberjack, Miner, Nerd/Crafting, Nomad, Scavenger.
they still have Mod Slots.
At least some basic ones will be craftable.
Sounds like current armor sets will become their own clothing sets.  So you might have to decide between bonuses from say a Mining Shirt vs a Steel Chest Armor. 

Restore Power Quest first look
---
Hit the rally marker and all lights in the POI go OUT.  looks go spooky at night or in bigger POIs that get dark inside.
go inside and find the generators and fix them.

Q&A answers
---
Drone work is coming along
All zombie models pre-A19 are getting either redone or replaced with a different new model
Bandits still in progress.  The new Player Model tech is a part of making them work since they can have their own visual cloathing/armor sets that can change with GS.  
A20 ETA="When Its Done (tm)"
Probably no more complexity to the electrical system 
Steam Workshop when the game goes gold not before.  (basically because right now mods break with every update and folks expect Steam Workshop to just work...)
No shooting from vehicles in A20 (Faatal in chat)
POI localization will be coming (aka nice names to show in quests instead of GasStation_05 )
Vulkan graphics support still not working well due to Unity issues.  
No Dual Wielding weapons/tools
FubarPrime's Twitch Integration he has been working on in his own time will probably come to Vanilla 7days eventually.  still a work in progress.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 10

53 minutes ago, DarlingCows said:

Will special infected be in the A20 and how are they coming along?

They have been around forever. Screamer, fat cop, spider are all special. We have some new ones planned but are not sure when they will arrive. Tourist zombie will become a special infected once the code is in for him.

• Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, TPrice321 said:

Feral Sense game option.   Lets you set how easily zombies see/hear you.  From dumber than now up to Horde Night GPS all the time

Nice. Another knob to tune to adjust difficulty to taste. :)

6 minutes ago, TPrice321 said:

Some "sleepers" will be walking around instead of just sitting/standing

I wonder if this is going to be in place of something that is there currently or is in addition to what is there currently.

MadMole, can you share any rough percentages you are seeing from A19 gamesparks telemetry on single player, vs hosted Co-op vs Dedicated Server multiplayer?

Can you tell PvE vs PvP?

• Like 1

Walking sleepers sounds great. POIs need some unpredictability.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, faatal said:

The Robotic Drone should be in A20. Some code work may start on bandits, but they won't be in a20.

@faatal , are you doing the walking sleepers ? They seem ok, as long as they have the "attack block" behaviour disabled until player detection, of course.

Are there also more "basic" zombies to come or will new zombie models only be special ones? 

And so it starts!!

Is TFP planing on more 6-8 month updates instead of 1.2-1.8 year updates? 

Because this thread started pretty quick compared to other alphas MIO

• Like 1

Hello devs. Have you looked at what mods people are using (assuming telemetry data shows this)? And if, so would you consider making changes based on that? For example, if a lot of people are using bigger backpack / bigger stack size mods, is that something you would consider tweaking?

• Like 1

Just finished viewing the recorded Dev stream, there's so much great stuff coming!

Congrats TFP, you're going leaps and bounds to make this game better! :first:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

Just finished viewing the recorded Dev stream, there's so much great stuff coming!

Congrats TFP, you're going leaps and bounds to make this game better! :first:

even though i was late to online class today,  But its worth it!

heres the pics if you want, 

You're welcome....
I got so many ideas for Armor NOW! Thank you TFP for fueling my fire! :) 

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Haven't been able to watch the stream yet but from the list above (thank you by the way) , I don't see any big changes regarding gameplay ? Vehicle mods are a nice addition and the 3 pipe guns will make early days more convenient for everyone, but there seems to be nothing drastically gamechanging or adding/renewing the challenge.

Has there been more detailed information regarding the very linear progression system of A19 that A20 was supposed to improve ?

Scratch that, the official list looks amazing.

Edited by beHypE (see edit history)
  • Like 2

If bandits are proving so hard, why not let the community help out with the modelling, animations and coding? Surely there is some assets or source code that can be released, or some problem statement that we can help brainstorm around.  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Poop 4
  • Knuckle Rub 2

While conventional clothing (dusters, boots, bandanas, shirts, pants, etc.) will be removed and the current armor sets we know will be gone, I'm nonetheless interested to see where these outfits will take us. I just hope there's enough variety among them so that we don't find entire sets, even if some are of poor quality levels, relatively early on. (Also, I assume that clothing mods will be removed, such as the skullcap mod and the cowboy hat mod? Just curious.)

Edit: Unless I misunderstood what Joel meant, in which case, feel free to correct me.

• Knuckle Rub 1

11 hours ago, TPrice321 said:

MadMole, can you share any rough percentages you are seeing from A19 gamesparks telemetry on single player, vs hosted Co-op vs Dedicated Server multiplayer?

Can you tell PvE vs PvP?

I'm not working on balance so I'm not looking at that data.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Noctoras said:

Are there also more "basic" zombies to come or will new zombie models only be special ones? 

The first step is to replace everything, and get new HD player outfits working, which also opens the door to bandit models. If everything is running good yet there may be room for additional basic zombies.

• Like 6

@madmole Considering the new generator quest, wouldn't it also be a good time to revise and improve the existing quests? Visuals and lore-wise giving them descriptions that you would find in those random readable quests, as if people left bounties on the traders. Game design-wise make them more intricate and have an even heavier RNG influence. 

- Clear Zombies ---> Infestation

- Fetch -----> (Person) needs (amount) (item)   [RNG]

They would have specific PoI's and items to collect in normal containers (for example, collecting grades of beer, gas, ammo, break into a safe)

It's rather boring finding the same "Riverwood supplies" hidden in the same place

- Fetch/Clear ---> Recovery

Clear an area, and if possible, have an open area mini event spawn (like a spawned camp/vehicle), and recover what a courier had failed to deliver, because he got swarmed. 

- Buried Treasure ---> Same

Nothing to add.

- [NEW] Heist 

Pretty self explanatory, break into a safe, steal, would be a cool addition once bandit structures/houses are added.

And as for the new generator quest, it seems like a really nice addition, and I hope different tiers add different electrical puzzles that the player needs to solve (activate a button, connect wires, interact with fuse boxes similar to far cry towers)

The PoI reworks and new gen quests are giving me Dead Island nostalgia, especially the gas stations and garages. I would love to see environmental traps in the future, like electrified water/fences, gas leaks and other puzzles.

Any thoughts people?

PS: 

• Like 1