Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
zztong

zztong

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

Robert mentioned last night some functionality that would allow smaller sized POIs to fit in larger sizes.  However, my recommendation for custom prefab creators is to try and update your POIs to conform to these new standard dimensions for the best experience.

I believe creating custom sizes is possible, it is just probably more work to try and do so AND create enough custom POIs to fill that new custom size.

Edit:  Unless your goal is to create a unique custom tile set specifically for only certain POIs, which sounds very doable (e.g. The Walking Dead Woodbury, etc.)

I've puzzled through my own POIs and largely concluded trimming or padding them to hit the standard sizes is best and quite doable, specially when we get to offload things like large parking lots to the Tiles. Wilderness POIs are cool at whatever size.

The "tough decision" folks face are POIs in the 110x110 to 150x150 range, as there are no TFP Tiles with a POI Marker that can hold them and they might not be able to trim. A Custom Tile will work, but since there isn't a standard size up that large, the POIs will probably get placed in the manner of being justified to the front and then centered, which Richard described. It would be handy to for the community to come together and say XL = 140x140. Then make Tiles to support that size. It may be that only 140x140 fits on "cap" tiles where you only have one road interface to support.

For those with POIs larger than that where placement within a Township is desired, then you're kind of stuck. That's one reason why folks are looking for a way to basically tie two Tiles together and then limit the POI selection for the POI Markers on those Tiles. (If you're gonna lock tiles together, you might as well support 2x2 Tiles ... so that folks get 300x300 blocks and I think that would end it, unless you want something like a long runway for an airport, maybe?)

Custom Districts look like they'll be fun. One challenge I face there is that my custom Tiles could be rotated and will border other Districts. This means if I were to try to standardize a transition between Tiles (like an elevated walkway), it would work great between the Tiles of my District, but just end in mid-air when pointed towards a Tile in another District or the Wilderness. So, all that sort of thinking has to remain within a Tile, not between Tiles, unless Parts became smart enough to make selections based on (1) if the Part touched the edge of the Tile and (2) the neighboring Tile was not of the same District.

These aren't complaints. I've just been having fun thinking about things and trying to predict the future.

zztong

zztong

53 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Robert mentioned last night some functionality that would allow smaller sized POIs to fit in larger sizes.  However, my recommendation for custom prefab creators is to try and update your POIs to conform to these new standard dimensions for the best experience.

I believe creating custom sizes is possible, it is just probably more work to try and do so AND create enough custom POIs to fill that new custom size.

Edit:  Unless your goal is to create a unique custom tile set specifically for only certain POIs, which sounds very doable (e.g. The Walking Dead Woodbury, etc.)

I've puzzled through my own POIs and largely concluded trimming or padding them to hit the standard sizes is best and quite doable, specially when we get to offload things like large parking lots to the Tiles. Wilderness POIs are cool at whatever size.

The "tough decision" folks face are POIs in the 110x110 to 150x150 range, as there are no TFP Tiles with a POI Marker that can hold them and they might not be able to trim. A Custom Tile will work, but since there isn't a standard size up that large, the POIs will probably get placed in the manner of being justified to the front and then centered, which Richard described. It would be handy to for the community to come together and say XL = 140x140. Then make Tiles to support that size. It may be that only 140x140 fits on "cap" tiles where you only have one road interface to support.

For those with POIs larger than that where placement within a Township is desired, then you're kind of stuck. That's one reason why folks are looking for a way to basically tie two Tiles together and then limit the POI selection for the POI Markers on those Tiles.

Custom Districts look like they'll be fun. One challenge I face there is that my custom Tiles could be rotated and will border other Districts. This means if I were to try to standardize a transition between Tiles (like an elevated walkway), it would work great between the Tiles of my District, but just end in mid-air when pointed towards a Tile in another District or the Wilderness. So, all that sort of thinking has to remain within a Tile, not between Tiles, unless Parts became smart enough to make selections based on (1) if the Part touched the edge of the Tile and (2) the neighboring Tile was not of the same District.

These aren't complaints. I've just been having fun thinking about things and trying to predict the future.