Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
Blake_

Blake_

On 4/28/2021 at 3:40 AM, faatal said:

I prefer whichever one makes sense for the project I'm working on. 7dtd is on Unity for better or worse. Changing to any other engine would be a huge amount of work and I don't like doing things just because, so there would need to be some serious reasons for such a switch.

Honestly, Unreal is a bad choice, both for the company's economy (WAAAAAAAAY more expensive than Unity for devs ) and for the development of the game (the point of a successful title is porting to a second title, not starting from scratch in a new engine changing code more often than not) . Sure, it has pros too, like some fleshed out postprocessing, some amazing support and stability... ...and I like the environment ever since they made it just like Unity in level design (UI, libraries, etc).  At the end of the day, you are also sharing your soul with EPIC and they might go full Origin in the very close future. The best choice is either making your own engine or Unity. Even if it lags behind in some aspects, it's very competitive . It's just that 7dtd is too cutting edge to the point that you guys would be better off expending 8 sexy years making an engine .

Blake_

Blake_

21 hours ago, faatal said:

I prefer whichever one makes sense for the project I'm working on. 7dtd is on Unity for better or worse. Changing to any other engine would be a huge amount of work and I don't like doing things just because, so there would need to be some serious reasons for such a switch.

Honestly, Unreal is a bad choice, both for the company's economy (WAAAAAAAAY more expensive than Unity for devs ) and for the development of the game (the point of a successful title is porting to a second title, not starting for scratch in a new engine changing code more often than not) . Sure, it has pros too, like some fleshed out postprocessing, some amazing support and stability... ...and I like the environment ever since they made it just like Unity in level design (UI, libraries, etc).  At the end of the day, you are also sharing your soul with EPIC and they might go full Origin in the very close future. The best choice is either making your own engine or Unity. Even if it lags behind in some aspects, it's very competitive . It's just that 7dtd is too cutting edge to the point that you guys would be better off expending 8 sexy years making an engine .

Blake_

Blake_

6 hours ago, faatal said:

Honestly, Unreal is a bad choice, both for the company's economy (WAAAAAAAAY more expensive than Unity for devs ) and for the development of the game (the point of a successful title is porting to a second title, not starting for scratch in a new engine changing code more often than not) . Sure, it has pros too, like some fleshed out postprocessing, some amazing support and stability... ...and I like the environment ever since they made it's just like Unity in level design (UI, libraries, etc).  At the end of the day, you are also sharing your soul with EPIC and they might go full Origin in the very close future. The best choice is either making your own engine or Unity. Even if it lags behind in some aspects, it's very competitive . It's just that 7dtd is too cutting edge to the point that you guys would be better off expending 8 sexy years making an engine .