Castle Altenburg, Bamberg (Alpha 19 / ver2)

Horst

Castle Altenburg, Bamberg (Alpha 19 / ver2)

2.02.zip

Dropbox Link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vppnxacud2pgbne/AABv4W_5uuV9LlMzioERZBW5a?dl=0

This castle-POI is an up-to-date version of the one I made for Alpha 16 about 2 years ago. For those who already know the old POI:

- I added a lot of details using the new blocks, especially giving the outer walls a more 3d-feel
- I worked on the textures in order to get a more realistic look, and to correct previous mistakes
- The castle now contains more loot, so it is worth the effort
- There are more Zs now guarding the loot
- Added the castle bear
- Some small changes to the general layout, added gallows on the hill outside the castle, the well is now escapable with a
  little effort if someone feels the need to take a swim there, leading up to the entrance there now is a stone ramp, signal fire cage added
  to the keep, and the main building upper floors are now wider than the 1st floor, in order to more give the buildings a more medieval feel

For all those who don't know the old POI:

Altenburg Castle is a real castle which is located on a hill near the city of Bamberg, Germany and I have done my best to recreate the castle in a 1:1 scale, but had to
bend a few angles to do so. The castle itself has historically gone through many building and rebuilding phases, which includes it being destroyed to a large extend
in the 16th century, and big renovation works in the 19th century. I stuck to todays main layout but didn't include a lot of 19th century or more modern features in
order to keep it as medieval as possible in the vanilla game. I chose this castle as its size, as well as its close to 90° layouts lend itself to a 7d2d version, while a lot of other
characteristics make it a potentially interesting game-POI: It is mostly a-symmetrical, and no two identical buildings/segments exist in the castle - not even the walls are
build in similar stiles around the castle, similarly all the towers are different, creating a much more realistic impression as copy-pasted segments could. On top
of that a bear was once kept inside the castle, and the entrance over a bridge offers the possibility to use it as a nice base with a drawbridge in game.
Allthough in reality it is a rather small castle, the POI is quite massive for this game in its 1:1 scale.
As the inside of the buildings today seem to be rented out for events and serve as a restaurant I didn't view them as authentical enough to justify the effort of
researching them entirely - so what I chose for the insides is a mixture of what I know from other castles, as well as what I think still makes sense to put in a game-POI. If
you have better ideas for the interiour feel free to PN me, so I have the possibility to further improve my work.

1.thumb.jpg.a1f251fd887c6efa22833d35c4cff0b2.jpg2.thumb.jpg.630ab41feda99eb899134cc9273d3953.jpg3.thumb.jpg.a4f5c7c44d70cd16c7389504db2731b1.jpg4.thumb.jpg.c69a61f4fdcc65edcdecf6ba8472a86b.jpg5.thumb.jpg.5b9d3d6646650b7950d2a42c19e57088.jpg6.thumb.jpg.271b9ec9cb281e028885987ee0b10aca.jpg7.thumb.jpg.593b6f6d841738d2989f899d6051ffe2.jpg8.thumb.jpg.82265f9b8554a0c32e3d65d7a0816510.jpg9.thumb.jpg.9d54a38dcc22147671ce957c1c90c2df.jpg10.thumb.jpg.ca3d3e8f12e3b8ce052dd5653533ca3a.jpg11.thumb.jpg.31ef32c9cf59094aa661729f9020fc08.jpg12.thumb.jpg.e08e097add27557b151906cf485064be.jpg13.thumb.jpg.a7599ce1746a0e5185a12138b8e96a1b.jpg

For anyone interested in the original, heres the Wikipedia Page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altenburg_(Bamberg)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Small update:
Since I updated the castle, I decided to stick with the topic of older buildings. I found a nice timber framed one in the same city as the castle (Bamberg, Germany) , and decided to bring it into the game. I am quite happy with the results I managed to achieve with vanilla blocks. Translating the historic timber frame structure into 7 days optics is still a challenge, but I'm quite confident to say I'm mostly done with the exteriour. Interiour is going to be how I imagine people use it today, with a bit of dungeon-elements to keep it fun.

Here is the original:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Obere_Karolinenstraße_1,_1a_(Bamberg)

Here is my current progress:
74A44E7ADB483E6A6C95D9962176518F0B0988E2

2 hours ago, Horst said:

Small update:
Since I updated the castle, I decided to stick with the topic of older buildings. I found a nice timber framed one in the same city as the castle (Bamberg, Germany) , and decided to bring it into the game. I am quite happy with the results I managed to achieve with vanilla blocks. Translating the historic timber frame structure into 7 days optics is still a challenge, but I'm quite confident to say I'm mostly done with the exteriour. Interiour is going to be how I imagine people use it today, with a bit of dungeon-elements to keep it fun.

Here is the original:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Obere_Karolinenstraße_1,_1a_(Bamberg)

Here is my current progress:
74A44E7ADB483E6A6C95D9962176518F0B0988E2

Looks great. There seems to be alot of historic buildings where you live.

40 minutes ago, stallionsden said:

Looks great. There seems to be alot of historic buildings where you live.

Thank you! Well, that depends. How much is a lot and how old is historic?
There are certainly enough to keep making these prefabs for a few years :)

Edited by Horst (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Horst said:

Thank you! Well, that depends. How much is a lot and how old is historic?
There are certainly enough to keep making these prefabs for a few years :)

Well seems you are set for a while lol in creating prefabs for the community lol.  But yeh buildings that have a history etc like castles etc

I've used the old prefab in the Dregora's Universe map that was hosted for one wipe on the Anarchy server and among several prefabs, such as the vault 81 I made the A16 castle you made also got a ton of feedback. From what I understood a lot of people were drawn to the castle but found there was a lack of loot and too much candles around that were causing them to have lag For A19 (Dregora V2.0) I was planning on giving it a huge facelift but it seems the original creator beat me to it ;)

I yet have to download the new version but among all the updates and new stuff that came to A19 for this development cycle i am about the embark on your updated castle is one of the few prefabs that i am really looking forward to see what's new and all!

I may go as far as asking the closed alpha test team (It sounds weird but yeah, the anarchy server provided one lol) to test the new castle, ill be sure to reply with what they found (Do note it's a pvp focused team though so as for horde testing there wont be a ton)

Thanks for sharing your awesome work :D Much appreciated!

Thank you! I have a tendency to get carried away by architectural details, and not focus enough on actual playability, but I'm working on that. The castle has the additional problem that there is a serious lack of medieval lootcontainers in the game^^
I know that loot was a problem in the previous version, as I had outfitted the whole POI with a storage crate type that seemingly doesn't spawn anything inside. I hope this is solved now - I used other boxes/crates, and since A16 we got the piles for clothes, books and medical stuff, which I used quite a bit for room decorations...
I don't think I changed much about the lighting, but switching the POI-candles on and off wouldn't be a big deal - most of all I'm thankfull for any feedback I can get!

• 2 months later...

Hello, I love your design. me and a few friends were trying to make it our base in Darkness falls but we keep having massive amounts of zombie spawns. did you by chance add spawners to it? Or is it probably just the nature of the mod? Thanks for your time!

I have to admit I don't really know how it works in Darkness falls, but yes, my original version contains Z-Volumes. I do not know how much the POI was changed for DF. In Vanilla you should be able to block the volumes and their Z-spawn with sleeping bags, but there is also a lot of grass/terrain in the castle, and some Zs will probably always spawn on that.
Have you cleaned it out completely once?
When does respawn happen? Instantly after killing everything every day or after a fixed amount of days?
Where did you place sleeping bags?
Do Zs spawn in upper floors, or just on grass/castle ground level?

If its your game/server, you can probably go into the editor and just remove the volumes - allthough I don't really know about DFs game mechanics...

It is very fast, within a few minutes there will be a few zeds (usually screamers or dogs, sometimes cops) so its honestly very overwhelming. we do have sleeping bags in the room just after the entrance bridge (the room with the 3 "cots and some windows), and a temporary land claim block just outside of that room. I tried going into the poi editor but as I'm not familiar with it I don't know how to identify the zombie spawning stuff. they do seem to mostly spawn right on the outside of the walls (like 80% of the time) but that still lets them do damage on the base and when they are screamers its a forgone conclusion that we will have a bunch of dogs and cops loose.

On 7/10/2021 at 12:21 AM, zalhara_rena said:

It is very fast, within a few minutes there will be a few zeds (usually screamers or dogs, sometimes cops) so its honestly very overwhelming. we do have sleeping bags in the room just after the entrance bridge (the room with the 3 "cots and some windows), and a temporary land claim block just outside of that room. I tried going into the poi editor but as I'm not familiar with it I don't know how to identify the zombie spawning stuff. they do seem to mostly spawn right on the outside of the walls (like 80% of the time) but that still lets them do damage on the base and when they are screamers its a forgone conclusion that we will have a bunch of dogs and cops loose.

If they spawn outside the walls,  they have most likely nothing to do with my z-volumes.  At least in vanilla screamers are attracted by the "heat"  mechanic.  Which means torches, fires, forges etc.  create heat,  and if heat reaches a certain level a screamer will visit you. If screamers spot a player, they will spawn in other mean stuff. You can try to place stuff that creates heat further apart inside the castle, or place ie.  Forges outside the walls (i'ld advise underground, or install counter measures like turrets or spikes that kill screamers before they spot a player or damage walls...

My torches should not attract screamers, you can try to remove them anyway and see if it helps...

Let me know if any of the steps above helped...
 If not I'll give you a small step by step instruction how to remove z-volumes in Pois.

• 2 months later...

This is a fantastic looking poi. The attention to detail really makes it shine. Simple things like clothes and shoes on the floor by the bed and the maze-like passages used by servants being cluttered with boxes and items you need to step over to get through. Out of sight, out of mind. The servants are allowed a small reading area, a writing desk (perhaps) and several vats of wine or mead. And they didn't want to be disturbed up there!

I hope my playthrough does your work some justice and gets your wonderful work out there for more people to see.

1 hour ago, Tallman Brad said:

This is a fantastic looking poi. The attention to detail really makes it shine. Simple things like clothes and shoes on the floor by the bed and the maze-like passages used by servants being cluttered with boxes and items you need to step over to get through. Out of sight, out of mind. The servants are allowed a small reading area, a writing desk (perhaps) and several vats of wine or mead. And they didn't want to be disturbed up there!

I hope my playthrough does your work some justice and gets your wonderful work out there for more people to see.

Super cool video :) How often do you do these spotlights?

1 minute ago, Simon_MD said:

Super cool video :) How often do you do these spotlights?

Thanks Simon. I'm pleased you enjoyed it. I've just started them but I'm working on my second one now. Might get it posted tonight or tomorrow at the latest. If you could comment on the video if there's a particular poi you'd like me to look at? Just so we keep this thread related to the castle and we're not filling this post with other people's work. I hope that's ok? Thanks again!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...