Insane Difficulty Base Build

IDNeon

I wanted to share the base build I've worked on for surviving frequent horde nights on Insane Difficulty. I basically do Blood Moon every night, I think the sweet spot seems to be about 60minute day-cycle with 12 hour long nights. But, at only Game Stage 30 the hordes haven't been lasting the entire nights yet (I'd like advice on that).

But that seems to be a comfortable amount of time to harvest resources but not too long to dally around before the Blood Moon rises again.

Anyway, the fort build is a simple pillbox design with campfires as force-multiplier, the fort is now two layers thick where it matters, where before it was only one layer thick, and the wedge-tip design gives you a lot of room to move and get headshot angles while keeping the zombies unable to even crawl in.

And, this base is a little more ingenious than it first appears. The wedge-design actually takes a LOT of pressure off the campfires, where before campfires would inevitably get destroyed by zombies jumping around etc, now I lose about only one or two campfires a Blood Moon.

The design also allows for complete visibility to the fort, so you can repair spikes, roof, skirt (that's what I call the outer-ring the campfires sit on), the campfires themselves...everything is accessible.

First Pic - The inside still has wooden wedge-tip pieces on the ceiling to better see them. If the outer cobblestone wedges are destroyed, there's still the inner wedge-tips to keep the zombies out. The final concept is a network of pillboxes, so when the outer layer is destroyed you abandon that box for another by a series of catwalks.

Second Pic - I thought this pic shows a good example of just how much visibility of the Zombies you have while you are COMPLETELY protected. The only things that will hit  you are some animals or crawlers.

Third Pic - Shows the base from the outside, I'm single player so it's smaller than would otherwise be. The footprint is 9x9 with the outer ramp. I often leave things un-upgraded to see how vulnerable they are before just reinforcing everything. That outer ramp is completely unbothered by regular zombies. Here you can also make out the wedge-tips and how they are placed.

Fourth and Fifth Pics - Some fun action scenes from about Game Stage 30. I have no clue how this base design will hold-up against Demos and belchers, but I intend to have the multiple pillbox network built up in order to find out.

I'd say right now I'm killing about half the zombies. I know how many Zombies I do get kills for, about 35-45 per night. So if I understood better why the horde still is stopping before end of night, I'd probably be able to estimate how many Zombies are attacking in total at Game Stage ~30.

Anyway, this base is it...it does the job. It takes on early-game Insane and that suggests to me it's the right core to use for later game insane...As I progress in this play through I'll be able to determine what additions are needed to handle demolishers and belchers, etcetera. I already have some ideas, but Zombie AI is better at running around obstacles so I will definitely have to see how they play out, especially a tiger trap idea.

Horde-Base-Inside-1.jpg

Horde-Base-Inside-2.jpg

Horde-Base-Outside-1.jpg

Horde-Base-Inside-3.jpg

Pyromaniac-1.jpg

38 minutes ago, Vampirenostra said:

demos will certainly just blow your box up and let all the rest to the party inside...

K now that I've vented below, I'm going to go ahead and state I've already survived Insane Hordes in earlier iterations of this base design at Game Stages 100+. The previous iterations had no ability to headshot, and lacked 2-layering of armor. Now enjoy my rant.

I just found this reply extraordinarily condescending, and useless.

1) The base isn't finished at cobblestone.

2) The base's footprint can be expanded so that you don't take the damage of a demo. Past footprints were 5x5.

3) The base has layers of armor, perhaps that concept went OVER YOUR HEAD...but not mine. 1xDemolisher won't break through both layers of armor before breaking through the wall letting the zombies to the "Party inside" as you so....lamely put it. A demolisher will only demolish the block exposed to the blast, and then only if it's enough damage per the block type.

4) Other bases DO NOT SOLVE the Problem of Demolishers either.

Basically that's the point, demolishers can only be solved 2 ways.

A) Headshot before detonation.

B) Tank the damage and repair.

5) This base design does B, it both tanks and it is repairable

6) You entirely ignored the base's STRONGEST feature, easily accessible, survivable campfires which deal a S--- TON of DAMAGE to Zombies over small amounts of time.

7) The base allows campfires to be survivable, in ordinary placements campfires are quickly destroyed by attacks of zombies, and in other base designs the campfires are not accessible, repairable, or replaceable either. This design solves BOTH.

#8 With a larger footprint, the design can probably be 3 layers thick instead of 2 layers thick.

Which brings me to the last point:

Even Jahwoodle's day 7000 hamburger-fort was ONE LAYER thick of armor and his base was an F-ING PILLBOX.

Overall, I hate being mean to people but I want contribution, not ignorant condescension. While Vampirenostra points out the most....boring, basic, known problems of the game, he does NOTHING to contribute to solutions and his entire mistake is assuming the base is finished at cobblestone or is not-scalable from a 3x3 interior to a 5x5...7x7 or however big of a footprint you can manage.

He ignored WHY I POSTED THIS.

To show how the 2-layer armor system is designed, how the base has maximal field-of-fire/line-of-site, how the campfire system is managed/protected.

This post had NOTHING to do with being a demonstration of later Game Stages. Which I can provide as my playthrough progresses.

But if you think ANY OTHER base will hold-up against demolishers you're just not thinking straight....any base that is to hold up against demolishers have to meet the requirements of 4B mentioned above.

Has to tank damage, has to be repairable.

This Base meets those requirements and has features unique to surviving Insane Hordes. 

Your "Insane Difficulty Base Build" is a clickbait title which is why you're going to get responses like this.

Even my base might not survive "Insane Difficulty", but I can confirm it's incredibly easy to survive Blood Moon at gamestage 150+ on slightly above normal difficulty settings with this base design as the zombies never come close to reaching my base and acid spray and bird attacks barely scratch the surface of it.

5E7C5F6EBD931DF7399D56B05A109B384E9E0FB3

I know ppl hate spikes in this game, mainly because their hitboxes suck and require too much maintenance, but... in the end, nothing competes against them in reliability and insurance that you'll make it through the night. I currently have 10 layers of metal spikes and 3 layers of barbed wire. As long as I have ammo, zombies rarely reach the spikes. I also have 6 layers of electric fencing around the base and 1 going up the stairs as well as 3 bladed traps just because... why not. The bottom part of my base is 2 layers of steel on the walls and floor (base is raised 2 blocks high, so even if they manage to break in, they still can't reach me). At the end of the blood moon, the base is only slightly scratched by acid and bird attacks, and I only need to replace spikes where the demolishers reached which is 3 or less per demolisher.

@IDNeon

Boy you like to type long messages))

Ignorant? Boring? Sorry, I'm just a bit sarcastic)

Your base design is not better or Forster than any other currently known here, it still has plenty of room to evolve and etc. Don't be offended by sarcasm it is not good for your mental/physical health)).

B.W Foxes design is way safer for player, and there still are "pit-grinder"  schemas that are proven to last why longer without exposing you to zeds, there is a set of "cheese walkways", but they are rather expensive or impractical as you can't really use them for both - main and BM basses, so is yours, it is a clear BM installation where as the one by Fox is fine for all in one.

And yes there is not that much to contribute here, you've spent your time thinking on your base, I've spent time reading your post, what do you expect to be added? It is yet another base design I don't find attractive... Should I simply ignore your post? Why? 

Man, come back to good mood, were here playing a game, take it easier))

@Fox can you suggest if demos still penetrate blocks with their blast? As I remember in the past versions they could gladly damage several layers of blocks at once and you behind them without effort.

Basically that's the point, demolishers can only be solved 2 ways.

A) Headshot before detonation.

B) Tank the damage and repair.

On my builds I also use option C)

C) Trigger them to pop at distance.

I may have craters outside my barrier of spikes, but no structure or personal damage.

1 hour ago, Vampirenostra said:

@Fox can you suggest if demos still penetrate blocks with their blast? As I remember in the past versions they could gladly damage several layers of blocks at once and you behind them without effort.

I have no idea, though I've seen their blast radius on the spikes and it appears to only have a 2 block radius. So like, a base like mine where the 2nd layer is a thin layer, I imagine if I was pressed up against the base on the other side, the blast might reach me if it can penetrate the block itself. I don't know how to spawn them in and not willing to spend that much time sabotaging my base just to try it out during a blood moon either.

I imagine an explosion is an explosion no matter what the source is. So if TNT explosion hurts you on the other side of the wall, then so does demolisher explosions. Mind you, TNT has a much larger blast radius.

1 hour ago, PBRstreetgang said:

On my builds I also use option C)

C) Trigger them to pop at distance.

I may have craters outside my barrier of spikes, but no structure or personal damage.

Actually, you can hit them anywhere except the chest area. I was able to get away with shooting them in the arms, shoulders, entire lower part of the body as well as head.

2 hours ago, Vampirenostra said:

@IDNeon

Boy you like to type long messages))

Ignorant? Boring? Sorry, I'm just a bit sarcastic)

Your base design is not better or Forster than any other currently known here, it still has plenty of room to evolve and etc. Don't be offended by sarcasm it is not good for your mental/physical health)).

B.W Foxes design is way safer for player, and there still are "pit-grinder"  schemas that are proven to last why longer without exposing you to zeds, there is a set of "cheese walkways", but they are rather expensive or impractical as you can't really use them for both - main and BM basses, so is yours, it is a clear BM installation where as the one by Fox is fine for all in one.

And yes there is not that much to contribute here, you've spent your time thinking on your base, I've spent time reading your post, what do you expect to be added? It is yet another base design I don't find attractive... Should I simply ignore your post? Why? 

Man, come back to good mood, were here playing a game, take it easier))

This is better, that's all I'm asking or man, it's not personal, it's just so common on forums where someone throws a really vapid response.

The difference between a troll, and maybe someone just being casual, is you didn't just dig yourself a hole, at least you came back with a BETTER response.

Of course there will be problems going forward, I have ideas for them too, but the MAIN point to this was to provide someone specifically a link to how I decided to solve the base-armor-layer problem. They were promoting their base which has a lot of cool features in itself, but very easily missed layering, as most bases miss layers, because well...when block size is a meter in game it's hard to layer when you need to be able to see/hit things.

Regarding Fox's design: 1) I'd have to see it to compare and will enjoy looking it up.

But also, I don't consider this base design done by any means. This is early game, core-base stuff. As I mentioned, I do intend to have a circuit connected by escape routes, but also the circuit will be comprised of standardized (cookie-cutter) bases. This only represents the core of that base. I'm thinking an outer-ring of a kind of trench with compartments will be another layer, when Game Stage allows me firearms then I can add a shooting gallery that would allow for shooting zombies trapped at that trench.

There's also a skill for gaining XP from traps, and I will consider different traps, but right now the loot is still dropping only Blunders.

4 hours ago, Fox said:

Even my base might not survive "Insane Difficulty", but I can confirm it's incredibly easy to survive Blood Moon at gamestage 150+ on slightly above normal difficulty settings with this base design as the zombies never come close to reaching my base and acid spray and bird attacks barely scratch the surface of it.

Everything goes out the window in Insane difficulty. Nothing I was used to worked.

THIS works...for up to about GS 100. Once demolishers start coming it starts becoming a crap shoot, but that's always seemed a problem. The 3x3 interior is smaller than I wanted. But this is because I wanted to also do a "horde every night".  This was all I could muster by day 1 at a 120min day.

That being said, I don't mind a little Trolling as long as the person just has something to contribute. Seems like Vampire does, just needed a little kick in the seat ;) Also all your guys's contributions are really good. Just his first post kinda triggered me.

No duh Demos are going to be a pain in the butt. LOL

I'll be glad to update the build progress as the game stages increase.

One thing to take into account is game difficultly only buffs zombie damage output and reduces player damage output but does nothing to zombie HP, armor, and amount of zombies or types. Which means that at Insane level difficulty zombies do 250% damage while players only do 25% of their normal damage. Also note that this damage reduction is also applied to SMG, Shotgun, and Junk turrets as well but not to other traps like Blade, Dart, Spike, and Electric Fences. In other words as you increase game difficulty traps become increasing import and killing zombies your self becomes increasingly less effective.

In short at Insane level difficulty a Pistol that does 45 damage will only do 11.25 to zombies but a Dart Trap that does 45 damage will still do the full 45.

4 hours ago, Danidas said:

In short at Insane level difficulty a Pistol that does 45 damage will only do 11.25 to zombies but a Dart Trap that does 45 damage will still do the full 45.

This is a really cool point I wasn't aware of but makes me excited for trap-pits later in the build using that trapper perk that gives you xp for traps.

Yeah, the knife is really great in the harder difficulties... seems like it still does full bleed damage.

Although on the hardest mode with everything maxed out, the best base is probably not to have one, lel. 

At that point you are either wasting all your time farming resources or you are abusing the zombie ai in some way. 

I do still make and use a base for like a week or so, until I do not need it anymore, cause horde every night. 

We play with 6-7 ppl on a server and we have built a tunnelcave into a mountain (Which is now gone because the zombies went through it) but we have a huge bunker with one entrance where all the zombies come in... we sit in a cage above and kill the incoming hordes while they fight through blade trapse, electric fences and spikes. when they get past stage 1 they have two smaller tunnels to reach the end of the bunker cave and we can shoot them all the time through metal bars in the ground of our cage. we also use turrets and of course shoot as many as we can... so far they never reached the end of the tunnel and damaged only the first stage of blade traps.... its night 70 coming up.... feels pretty save at the moment.....

We just survived night 70. The main entrance took a lot of damage and about 10-12 demolition zombies costed us several blocks and undermind the whole entrance area. There is now a cave about 10 blocks deep and  a hole directly into above mentioned tunnels. They still didnt stand a chance and after rebuilding and refilling the hole plus installing some extra blade traps, we should be gould for the next night.

Archived