Only books and schematics in loot?

Duxily

Hello everyone.

Following some tutorials i have made some modlets on my own for personal fun, and came to a idea which i dont think its possible.
Could i make a modlet to make only books and schematics lootable, and nothing else?
I have been looking at loot.xml but cant seem to think of possible solution.
Much thanks for any input on this.

You'd have to remove all the loot groups except the ones with books/schems in them, and remove everything but the books/schems in the remaining.  However, it'd end up giving you books and schems nearly every time you looted one of those containers.  To prevent that, you'd have to instead add a dummy item, say paper, with a high loot chance.

I'm not sure if that would cause null refs if a container refers to a loot group that no longer exists, so you might end up having to go through the other files and change all the references to loot groups.

It's gonna be a ton of work.  Also, think about whether you want loot to come from quests, since they are also loot groups, and you'd have to work around those, or not, depending in your answer.  And keep in mind T6 would be basically impossible to get, not to mention crafting parts, unless you plan to buy tools from the Traders, and scrap them.

I did this little number to set all lootcontainers to use my custom stuff (for a mod i'm workin on).

<set xpath="/lootcontainers/lootcontainer[contains(@loot_quality_template, qual)]">

so far i haven't found a container that doesn't have my custom items inside... but i haven't tested each one.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, i am really sorry for replying this late.
Secondly, many thanks for your nice and good replies.

On 10/26/2020 at 3:30 PM, stample said:

You'd have to remove all the loot groups except the ones with books/schems in them, and remove everything but the books/schems in the remaining.  However, it'd end up giving you books and schems nearly every time you looted one of those containers.  To prevent that, you'd have to instead add a dummy item, say paper, with a high loot chance.

I'm not sure if that would cause null refs if a container refers to a loot group that no longer exists, so you might end up having to go through the other files and change all the references to loot groups.

It's gonna be a ton of work.  Also, think about whether you want loot to come from quests, since they are also loot groups, and you'd have to work around those, or not, depending in your answer.  And keep in mind T6 would be basically impossible to get, not to mention crafting parts, unless you plan to buy tools from the Traders, and scrap them.

Much thanks for such detailed reply.
Definetly sound like tons of work, and high chance of messing up something pretty bad.

I am not really that good with even simple modding yet, so i might skip that for now.
Honestly, i wanted to start a game with no loot at all, except books and schems,  i would have to mine and mix and make anything myself, ofcourse if i dont get bored by day 3 lmao.
But guess i will have to came up with different challange, or similar. :D

On 10/27/2020 at 12:46 AM, Telric said:

I did this little number to set all lootcontainers to use my custom stuff (for a mod i'm workin on).

<set xpath="/lootcontainers/lootcontainer[contains(@loot_quality_template, qual)]">

so far i haven't found a container that doesn't have my custom items inside... but i haven't tested each one.

Thats looking good and simple.
I guess you wont mind if i play around with it for personal use?

Cheers guys, you are great.

Archived