a19 blows - bring back the auger

solarplexus

4 hours ago, stample said:

To steal from good ole Mr. Ford

You can play this open-world survival crafting zombie horde game any way you want to... as long as its how Joel wants you to.

Yep. Probably the greatest thing about investing your money into forming a company and then investing time to creating a game is that indeed you CAN set the rules in that universe you have created. So you are correct.

@Roland I've used mods for years. It wasn't until A17 that I felt the need for mods just to make the game interesting. I'm glad they have mod support. I'm glad Bethesda has mod support. That said, I would still play Skyrim, Oblivion or the Fallouts without mods. A17+, I wouldn't. I don't hate the devs for making the choices they have. I just speak against some of those choices because I have enjoyed this game so much over the years, and would like to continue that enjoyment. Unfortunately for me, even with mods, I play the game less and less these days. I count the money spent as well spent, and would have payed more.

Ever thought about the fact that you just got to used to the game over time? @Jeraal A lot has changed over the years, but actually you always do the same in every alpha. Dunno about your hours, but i am sure after a ton of time spent in A16, you would have modded that too. Alone the fact that you have just a few TIer5 buildings get´s boring pretty fast, especially because you need a ton of luck to get even one of the skyscrapers in RWG, mostly you play with 4 POI´s for T5 quests. But even 7 is not a lot tbh.

10 hours ago, Roland said:

Then you're asking for no modding support-- which is problematic since this game was created on the idea that it would be fully moddable so that individuals and communities could tailor the game to exactly their preferences and add more depth in those areas they deem important. The vanilla game will be the dev's vision but no matter how packed that might be with content, there will come a day when you've wrung it dry and will be wanting more. But, now you've just stated that you hope there isn't more to be found from mods beyond the standard game.

Its not the same.

Its one thing when you have a modding community what compliments your game well like for Noita or when you have a modding community what essentially does the work of the devs by expanding their faulty product into a playable game like Hellgate London.

Ofcourse when the main course runs dry you look for mods to spice up the gameplay but what im afraid of is the point where the mismanagment goes as far that i gotta need to download several separate mods just to play what the game supposed to be (Like how everyone and their mothers when someone says they are new to Skyrim will tell you to download 4 different mods to make the game work.)

2 hours ago, Solomon said:

Its not the same.

Its one thing when you have a modding community what compliments your game well like for Noita or when you have a modding community what essentially does the work of the devs by expanding their faulty product into a playable game like Hellgate London.

Ofcourse when the main course runs dry you look for mods to spice up the gameplay but what im afraid of is the point where the mismanagment goes as far that i gotta need to download several separate mods just to play what the game supposed to be (Like how everyone and their mothers when someone says they are new to Skyrim will tell you to download 4 different mods to make the game work.)

"game supposed to be". Yeah well, so your taste is the center of the universe, and the devs and lots of other players tastes are aberrant and misguided. Sure. Go ahead. Makes discussion easy.

You are right because you define you are right.😆

10 minutes ago, meganoth said:

"game supposed to be". Yeah well, so your taste is the center of the universe, and the devs and lots of other players tastes are aberrant and misguided. Sure. Go ahead. Makes discussion easy.

You are right because you define you are right.😆

"Game supposed to be" do you actually argue that the game shouldnt be playable, stable, optimized, bug free?

54 minutes ago, Solomon said:

"Game supposed to be" do you actually argue that the game shouldnt be playable, stable, optimized, bug free?

We agree on stable, optimized and bug free (while I know for sure that it never ever will reach "bug free" and "optimized" is also not some flag post that can be reached). EDIT: And yes, those are targets for the release version, how we reach that is TFPs problem.

We definitely don't agree on what "playable" is supposed to mean. I can only speak for me and a few people around me, but I play pure vanilla a lot. And judging from the conversations here a lot of other people do too.

Optimizing isn´t done during alpha. Never. That´s for beta. Be happy TFP does optimizing to some point during the alpha, a lot of early access games don´t do that.

What you say is true. For finished games. But A19 already runs pretty good besides full optimization, wich naturally can´t be done when there is still content missing. Doing full optimization now, would be like painting your house when there is still walls missing.

For me the game runs stable, bugs do exist as expected during development, but i have seen finished games with more bugs (Bethesda, i am looking at you here). I rarely encounter bugs. And so far i had no gamebreaking one during A19. The arrows missing when the bow is loaded is annoying but i can deal with that. 

I do have some FPS drops, but i also play nitrogen with compopack 46, with mega cities and a tight grid. So that´s fully on me, can´t blame TFP for that.

What this game really needs badly is making full use of all CPU cores. It´s 2020, you can get 6 cores/12 Threads for cheap now, no one plays with a dual core anymore.

4 hours ago, Solomon said:

Its not the same.

Please tell me the names of the mods that must be installed to make the game playable. I’d really be interested to know which ones are doing the work that TFP should be doing and making the game the way it is intended to be.  Pretend I’m a new player that just downloaded the game because I must have missed the thread where everyone is helping new players by telling them to be sure to install these critical mods.  So what are your picks because the devs @%$#ed up and the game can’t run as intended without ______________, _____________, and ______________?

Wait, let me guess one of them: Sorcery!  Right...? ;)

58 minutes ago, meganoth said:

We agree on stable, optimized and bug free (while I know for sure that it never ever will reach "bug free" and "optimized" is also not some flag post that can be reached). EDIT: And yes, those are targets for the release version, how we reach that is TFPs problem.

We definitely don't agree on what "playable" is supposed to mean. I can only speak for me and a few people around me, but I play pure vanilla a lot. And judging from the conversations here a lot of other people do too.

Playable as actually runs in an acceptable manner (whats acceptable is subjective to ones hardware).

20 minutes ago, Roland said:

Please tell me the names of the mods that must be installed to make the game playable. I’d really be interested to know which ones are doing the work that TFP should be doing and making the game the way it is intended to be.  Pretend I’m a new player that just downloaded the game because I must have missed the thread where everyone is helping new players by telling them to be sure to install these critical mods.  So what are your picks because the devs @%$#ed up and the game can’t run as intended without ______________, _____________, and ______________?

I never said this game is at that point, it works pretty fine on its own thought i would be happy if some generic graphics commands would be already baked into the game so i dont need to retype them every time i load up the game.

22 minutes ago, Roland said:

Wait, let me guess one of them: Sorcery!  Right...? ;)

That bugged mess managed to corrupt one of our maps, im never touching it ever.

6 hours ago, Solomon said:

Playable as actually runs in an acceptable manner (whats acceptable is subjective to ones hardware).

I never said this game is at that point, it works pretty fine on its own thought i would be happy if some generic graphics commands would be already baked into the game so i dont need to retype them every time i load up the game.

That bugged mess managed to corrupt one of our maps, im never touching it ever.

You have extremely high expectations of things in alpha states.

As a modder who appreciates vanilla and can actually play vanilla with no complaints I AM interested in your answer to Rolands question.  While i feel mods greatly enhance the experience, there is no mod I would ever say, my own included, that i NEEDED to play the vanilla game.

1 hour ago, JaxTeller718 said:

You have extremely high expectations of things in alpha states.

As a modder who appreciates vanilla and can actually play vanilla with no complaints I AM interested in your answer to Rolands question.  While i feel mods greatly enhance the experience, there is no mod I would ever say, my own included, that i NEEDED to play the vanilla game.

Solomon did answer that he wasn't saying that about 7 Days to Die but @Jeraal has been pretty vocal and openly dismayed about Vanilla for the past year or so. Maybe they can answer the question...

23 hours ago, Jeraal said:

@Roland I've used mods for years. It wasn't until A17 that I felt the need for mods just to make the game interesting. I'm glad they have mod support. I'm glad Bethesda has mod support. That said, I would still play Skyrim, Oblivion or the Fallouts without mods. A17+, I wouldn't. I don't hate the devs for making the choices they have. I just speak against some of those choices because I have enjoyed this game so much over the years, and would like to continue that enjoyment. Unfortunately for me, even with mods, I play the game less and less these days. I count the money spent as well spent, and would have payed more.

The choices you speak against are never changing-- at least for this game. Knowing that, why continue with the negativity? At some point you have to resolve yourself to adapt or move on to a game you actually enjoy. My library is littered with games I no longer play because they grew stale or I simply lost interest. That's normal. I'm glad you have fond memories of the way 7 Days to Die used to be but the reality is that the finalized game is going to be what we have right now but with a few additional features-- but nothing planned by the devs is going to turn 7 Days to Die back into pre-A17. 

If there was a chance for changing it I'd say keep going but there's zero chance for it now. The die is cast.

Just a question but why do we even need the motor tool parts?

Making both the Auger and the Chainsaw (and whatever else needs motor tool parts) craftable with Steel Tool parts fixes the whole issue, lightens the game a bit and the entire logic about needing moving parts can be replaced with mechanical+electrical parts.

2000+ hours into this Alpha game, been playing since around A13(at the least, can’t remember exact alpha when I started) and have not modded at all.  And I am actively playing the game today.

Still fire up Skyrim and Fallout 4 to play, but I play them highly modded (and I started playing them with mods installed).  Says a lot IMHO

6 hours ago, Solomon said:

Just a question but why do we even need the motor tool parts?

Making both the Auger and the Chainsaw (and whatever else needs motor tool parts) craftable with Steel Tool parts fixes the whole issue, lightens the game a bit and the entire logic about needing moving parts can be replaced with mechanical+electrical parts.

From a “realistic point of view”, these are more complex compared to axes and shovels

1 hour ago, BFT2020 said:

From a “realistic point of view”, these are more complex compared to axes and shovels

Thats true but gameplay wise unless the pimps plan to release atleast 3 more motor tools theres really no point in these to have their own parts.

3 hours ago, Solomon said:

Thats true but gameplay wise unless the pimps plan to release atleast 3 more motor tools theres really no point in these to have their own parts.

It depends on how complex or simple they want to make the crafting system.  They can have one item called “Parts” and everything is made from them....or they can make it so complex that it exactly mimics all the parts you would actually need to make one in real life.  I think they did a good balance with the system; not too complex to make me feel like I am playing a tool building simulator and not too simple where I can loot a house and can make whatever I want to after looting “Parts”

On 10/22/2020 at 3:45 AM, Vampirenostra said:

There is another solution for BM and vehicles -> just stop them dead! Right at 10PM All vehicles convert into pumpkins! You can still open their inventory, you can still have your ass set inside, but you can not make it move! Disable control and that is it. And remove this freaking turbo vultures!

Nah F-that.

Make their inventories locked too ;)

J/k

But yeah, the bloodmoon is already supernatural, make it an EM disturbance and vehicles don't start. Screw you rich people in your fancy cars, get on foot with the infantry.

The SuperVultures need.  to.  end.  If I choose to dodge out on a BM, then that's my choice, it SHOULDN'T be TFP's.  "They" built it, then sold it to me.  As long as I'm not ripping off "their" intellectual property, then what I choose to do is up to me.

So I choose to load myself maxxp and shut off the zombies totally so I can do the one thing this game does best:  emulate MineCraft without the 8-bit graphics.  Or I nerf out the Blood Moon horde and ignore that it's happening.  Or I go on total slaughter mode and bring them in, running and gunning across the map.  My game, should be my choice, and I shouldn't have to face off against five or six fudged up birds spawning out of nowhere to destroy me INSIDE my 4x4.

26 minutes ago, badkarma989 said:

The SuperVultures need.  to.  end.  If I choose to dodge out on a BM, then that's my choice, it SHOULDN'T be TFP's.  "They" built it, then sold it to me.  As long as I'm not ripping off "their" intellectual property, then what I choose to do is up to me.

So I choose to load myself maxxp and shut off the zombies totally so I can do the one thing this game does best:  emulate MineCraft without the 8-bit graphics.  Or I nerf out the Blood Moon horde and ignore that it's happening.  Or I go on total slaughter mode and bring them in, running and gunning across the map.  My game, should be my choice, and I shouldn't have to face off against five or six fudged up birds spawning out of nowhere to destroy me INSIDE my 4x4.

They're still building it. You opted into playing a work in progress. As such it is subject to change based on their idea of how the final product is supposed to be.

15 hours ago, badkarma989 said:

It is up to you.... mod it.

If you chose not to mod it, then it is up to TFP how the game works.   They decide the content they want you to experience and the content that you can avoid (as does every developer of every game ever).  Fortunately, for all of us, they've given us the means to tailor that experience into something completely different if we so choose.   You just need to exercise that option.

On 10/22/2020 at 6:15 PM, JaxTeller718 said:

Yep. Probably the greatest thing about investing your money into forming a company and then investing time to creating a game is that indeed you CAN set the rules in that universe you have created. So you are correct.

Spoken like a kid who dreams of owning their own company one day.

Successful companies focus on pleasing their customers, not their CEO.

5 hours ago, AlphaOmega said:

Spoken like a kid who dreams of owning their own company one day.

Successful companies focus on pleasing their customers, not their CEO.

Good point. Augers raining from the sky must be a minority desire of customers 

Archived