Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
solarplexus

a19 blows - bring back the auger

Recommended Posts

There is an old salesman adage: you cant take a feature back once you give it a customer.

 

1. bring back the auger as a craftable item. I have 50steel tool parts and 100 motor tool parts (or the opposite, can't remember) ... but cant craft a chainsaw or auger.

2. stop having birds slow/stop a motorcycle: really?

3. consider improving stamina loss/regen.

 

That's your answer to make the game more challenging? you turned the game on its ear and ruined it. I get there are people out there who love ridiculous challenges, but not me. The base game is simply too hard now. Believe it or not, there are a lot of players who like to take it slower.

 

1. no auger, check ... np ... will mine

2. lose stamina doing everything especially mining, uhh monkey turds, check

3. can't mine fast enough, so can't build ... (collar checking nervous) check

4. get motor cycle built , check

4. blood moon birds stop you on motor cycle no matter what: *sigh* and the monsters run almost as fast a motorcycle: or respawn close to the motorcycle: not sure, don't care.

 

... if there was at least an auger recipe, or trader joe/josephine sold an auger: no sign after 30 days contrary to release note about augers:

  • Auger no longer has a low priority to be for sale at traders

(not sure what that even means)

 

30 hours wasted.

 

dumping game and waiting for a better patch.

 

  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1
  • Poop 4
  • Knuckle Rub 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The auger is a craftable item, you just need to find the schematic to unlock the recipe first.  If stamina loss if a problem for you then try drinking some coffee or beer.  Those will give you a buff for improved stamina regen.  If you are having trouble getting stone to build with I would suggest hitting up POIs and look for the blue containers.  Those will give you cobblestone or cement and are an easy way to get started building early on.  I agree with the vultures though.  They are very annoying and shouldn't get jetpacks during horde night and be able to stop my 4x4 from moving.  

 

Edit: Also if the game is too hard you should turn down the difficulty settings.  No reason to play on harder settings if you aren't enjoying it and finding it too difficult to play.  

Edited by Sjustus548
Edited to add more information. (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The devs don't want people using vehicles to avoid BMs. So expect that to stay as it is, or get worse.

 

And as said above, need schematics to craft most things yourself. It tells you this when looking at the recipes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first 1-2, maybe 3 blood moons are perfectly doable with just cobblestone blocks, or a small amount (around choke points) upgraded to concrete. No need for an Auger that early, you don't REALLY need one until you need your whole base to be concrete or better.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, solarplexus said:

1. bring back the auger as a craftable item.

Done.

 

For you.

  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is another solution for BM and vehicles -> just stop them dead! Right at 10PM All vehicles convert into pumpkins! You can still open their inventory, you can still have your ass set inside, but you can not make it move! Disable control and that is it. And remove this freaking turbo vultures!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Vampirenostra Same effect. You don´t use vehicles in both cases. Don´t see the problem here tbh. With the turbo vultures you can at least give yourself a challenge for fun and see how long you last. Magically not functioning vehicles are a huge immersion breaker.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@Vampirenostra Same effect. You don´t use vehicles in both cases. Don´t see the problem here tbh. With the turbo vultures you can at least give yourself a challenge for fun and see how long you last. Magically not functioning vehicles are a huge immersion breaker.

Yeah, but this is what actually happen in all horror movies)))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the anti vehicle vultures as they make it easier to cheese the horde. Just build a box with a bunch of traps on its roof and a hallow room with a bike in it. If the horde is too much just hop on the bike and 50 percent of the zombie spawns will be converted to vultures that will quickly die to your roof traps as long as your on the bike regardless of if your moving or not.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh. That never came to my mind. Well @Vampirenostra there is your big chance the turbo vultures won´t stay. If TFP can´t stand one thing, it´s an easy way to cheese the horde.

 

Doesn´t effect me anyways, i either have a base where i can have fun with grenades or i run around in the open with a bunch of mega crush.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Oh. That never came to my mind. Well @Vampirenostra there is your big chance the turbo vultures won´t stay. If TFP can´t stand one thing, it´s an easy way to cheese the horde.

 

Doesn´t effect me anyways, i either have a base where i can have fun with grenades or i run around in the open with a bunch of mega crush.

That is same for me, never tried to avoid the horde, always being doing absolutely opposite -> prepare myself and the base for the horde))) Just to say: "I've being waiting for you ObiOne)))"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The devs did indicate that they may tone down the anti vehicle vultures once the vehicle critical system is in place. So instead of getting swarmed with murder birds your vehicle will just magically break down.

 

They also indicated that in the future the Auger will drain stamina and simply be a faster pick/shovel that burns fuel with no other benefit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wich still doesn´t change anything about the fact that you can cheese with a vehicle inside. I really don´t care but there is a chance that they come up with something else due to the easy cheese here. 

 

I´d rather see improvements to difficulty elsewhere tough. There will always some kind of cheese possible during hordenight, it´s like fighting against windmills if you wanna keep the freedom in this game alive.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think what is going to happen is they will tone down the vulture spawn but will have their vomit melt vehicles by causing a ton of critical status effects to disable them. Similar to how their melee attacks cause a ton of status effects on players. So If you try to run from the horde on a vehicle as long as you dodge their vomit your going to be mostly fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't do anything about stamina regen while mining and for some reason it gets better as I level up and all I use is stone tools. They are modded.

 

every time you level you get a point to customize your character. Put some into stamina regen and/or mining, whatever it is bugging you. One of the goals of a19 is to make these points mean something.

 

And yeah, the auger is customizable but you're probably not going to find it until late in the game. It's not like it used to be where you might find one when you loot a tree stump

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to play the game slower as well.

 

During the first few weeks use a POI as a base while you build your bloodmoon base. I use the roof of a Working Stiff's POI. That place can take a beating without me doing much of anything to it.

 

It sounds like you might be mining with iron tools too early. These will be inefficient early on. Stone axe gets the job done in the early days. Mine the big rocks for large amounts of stone. Use cobblestone to make your horde base initially then upgrade it as you go.

 

During bloodmoons you are meant to be in a defensible place taking down the horde. You certainly can ride your motorcycle around if you want. However, the game isn't made so you can just outrun the 7th day hordes with the motorcycle.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Sjustus548 said:

The auger is a craftable item, you just need to find the schematic to unlock the recipe first.  If stamina loss if a problem for you then try drinking some coffee or beer.  Those will give you a buff for improved stamina regen.  If you are having trouble getting stone to build with I would suggest hitting up POIs and look for the blue containers.  Those will give you cobblestone or cement and are an easy way to get started building early on.  I agree with the vultures though.  They are very annoying and shouldn't get jetpacks during horde night and be able to stop my 4x4 from moving.  

 

Edit: Also if the game is too hard you should turn down the difficulty settings.  No reason to play on harder settings if you aren't enjoying it and finding it too difficult to play.  

thanks Sjutus548: good stuff. I was frustrated at the complete change in game play. have to figure out a whole new way of playing now.

 

Is it me, or do the changes seem geared towards making the multi-player version more fun? Solo seems ... frustratingly hard to me. I am pretty sure I leave the difficulty on the default setting, whatever that is.

 

11 hours ago, Roland said:

Done.

 

For you.

:)

 

7 hours ago, Vampirenostra said:

Yeah, but this is what actually happen in all horror movies)))

great idea, but that will get nerfed too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Danidas said:

I think what is going to happen is they will tone down the vulture spawn but will have their vomit melt vehicles by causing a ton of critical status effects to disable them. Similar to how their melee attacks cause a ton of status effects on players. So If you try to run from the horde on a vehicle as long as you dodge their vomit your going to be mostly fine.

sounds more palatable . but crap, trying to solo ... the "status effects on players" are more interesting than they used to be. I do like how the smaller things have become more important ... just not how extreme some of them have become.

 

 

 

7 hours ago, Danidas said:

I like the anti vehicle vultures as they make it easier to cheese the horde. Just build a box with a bunch of traps on its roof and a hallow room with a bike in it. If the horde is too much just hop on the bike and 50 percent of the zombie spawns will be converted to vultures that will quickly die to your roof traps as long as your on the bike regardless of if your moving or not.

 

sorry, this is what I meant will get nerfed.

Edited by solarplexus (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, solarplexus said:

thanks Sjutus548: good stuff. I was frustrated at the complete change in game play. have to figure out a whole new way of playing now.

 

Motor tool parts are way more prevalent in A19 compared to A18 and so crafting an auger is definitely easier. In A18, I spent a bunch time acquiring enough motor parts so I could craft my first Auger. If having the auger is essential to you early game you can always use the creative menu to give yourself the schematic or the auger itself. There is always going to be a least one recipe that will prove elusive in every game. That is part of what provides the game its replayability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I tried hordenight in a gyro to see how effective vultures were.  Turbo vultures don't even stop you from cheesing horde in a vehicle.  Get in your gyrocopter, fly way up.  Vultures spawn near ground level, and if you're up near ceiling cap they are too far to chase you.  if you spend 1 of every 4 seconds driving, and the other 3 coasting, you can make it all night w/o needing gas.

 

The problem here is how much effort TFP puts into anti-cheesing, which is either a) ineffective or b) opening roads to a new type of cheese.  It feels like they spend more time trying to prevent players from playing differently than adding new features.  Vehicles are one example, zombies never missing a block when attacking is another, engineering-degree AI is another.  Zombie swimming faster than people, can't forget that.

 

Look, I like that they're improving the game.  I think finding ways to make hordes less avoidable is good.  But vultures and swimming just feel punitive.

 

To steal from good ole Mr. Ford

You can play this open-world survival crafting zombie horde game any way you want to... as long as its how Joel wants you to.

Edited by stample (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Poop 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Kosmic Kerman said:

Motor tool parts are way more prevalent in A19 compared to A18 and so crafting an auger is definitely easier. In A18, I spent a bunch time acquiring enough motor parts so I could craft my first Auger. If having the auger is essential to you early game you can always use the creative menu to give yourself the schematic or the auger itself. There is always going to be a least one recipe that will prove elusive in every game. That is part of what provides the game its replayability.

Hear ya Kosmic. Had 100 motor parts, and no way to spend it. its almost taunting.

 

Another thing I thought I heard somewhere: large animals not spawning as much? Game i played, saw 1 bear and 1 dear in 27-ish days ... until I drove into a snow town. saw 4 bears, 2 lions (??) and 4 wolves in one night ... just saying

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, solarplexus said:

 

Another thing I thought I heard somewhere: large animals not spawning as much? Game i played, saw 1 bear and 1 dear in 27-ish days ... until I drove into a snow town. saw 4 bears, 2 lions (??) and 4 wolves in one night ... just saying

Forest biome is a "safe zone". Predators only spawn at night (or in wandering hordes) and deer have rarer spawns. In other biomes, predators spawn day and night. There are tons of chickens and rabbits about though. Food is definitely something you have to somewhat worry about the first two weeks or so but meat becomes a non-issue as soon as you get a good gun and run into some wolves.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Wich still doesn´t change anything about the fact that you can cheese with a vehicle inside. I really don´t care but there is a chance that they come up with something else due to the easy cheese here. 

 

I´d rather see improvements to difficulty elsewhere tough. There will always some kind of cheese possible during hordenight, it´s like fighting against windmills if you wanna keep the freedom in this game alive.

True, its a pointless fight really.

 

Would make much more sense to improve the many "weak" aspects of the game like electricity, traps, AI, optimization and soo on that one would think that some random guy's latest levitating block structure is the literal last in the list on what to fix.

 

 

I seriously hope we dont go down the Bethseda road where we must actively seek mods to get more out of the game because everything is focused soo much on this anti-cheese.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Solomon said:

...

 

I seriously hope we dont go down the Bethseda road where we must actively seek mods to get more out of the game because everything is focused soo much on this anti-cheese.

Already there, but not for the anti-cheese. Well, not just that.

  • Poop 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Solomon said:

I seriously hope we dont go down the Bethseda road where we must actively seek mods to get more out of the game

Then you're asking for no modding support-- which is problematic since this game was created on the idea that it would be fully moddable so that individuals and communities could tailor the game to exactly their preferences and add more depth in those areas they deem important. The vanilla game will be the dev's vision but no matter how packed that might be with content, there will come a day when you've wrung it dry and will be wanting more. But, now you've just stated that you hope there isn't more to be found from mods beyond the standard game.

 

This attitude of seeing a modable game as some kind of detrimental thing is just beyond bafflement to me. The developers have their plan and they will deliver the game they want to make. They have also made it so that others can modify it in whatever creative ways they can think of. This should be a cause of celebration and gratitude and not for gloom and criticism. No game can cater perfectly to every gamer. What you detest in the default package, others love --and that is where the beauty of modding comes in to bridge that gap between the preferences of different gamers and make the game appealing to many more people than it normally would be. 

 

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, Bethesda aside, OF COURSE you are going to seek mods to get more out of the game than the basic package.

 

#Duh

36 minutes ago, Jeraal said:

Already there, but not for the anti-cheese. Well, not just that.

pfft....we've been there for 6+ YEARS. We had mods being made from almost the very beginning. Saying that we are "already there" on needing to seek out mods to deliver a deeper and more enjoyable experience for our own preferences is like saying we are "already there" on needing dedicated graphics cards to play the game....

 

#DoubleDuh :rolleyes2:

Edited by Roland (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...