Disappearing vehicles & reappearing...

isleepl8

Hello everyone,

New guy here, tried reading the pinned post for this issue I have but either I'm not looking well or probably on it's way being fixed or something. Anyhoo, love the game, have it both on the PC and PS4 (PC player now), well my issue is that sometimes when I move my vehicles like the truck or gyrocopter to explore the game, I come back and there's another copy of w/e vehicle I left in it's original spot. Not sure what is going on but recently I had filled my truck with loot to sell to the trader, went for a quest with another vehicle and I come back to check on my truck and everything in it is gone. Thought ok, drive it away from my base, might be a glitch or something, nope, nothing in it tho when I check it's inventory, i can see my items for a split second and its all empty. Now I go back to my base and I find another truck where my orignal truck was parked and I'm like what the hell...I check it's inventory and it has all my items that disappeared in my orginal truck...so yeah, I dunno. Don't need another truck or gyrocopter, not sure what is triggering a copy of them when I leave my base that's not on POI but on a clean ground where I have built a small fort on some hill and just adding stuff as I go along with the game. I have over 100 hours playing the game and this has happened twice already. Known issue or something new?

p.s. love this game on pc, so much fun. 😁

hey there,

yeah i'm playing solo in a navazgane map.  i have these 2 output logs for today's gaming session where my truck lost all of it's inventory and suddenly another one appeared with the lost inventory in it.

output_log__2020-10-16__01-53-40.txt output_log__2020-10-16__12-35-45.txt

Edited by isleepl8 (see edit history)

Playing on own dedicated server and this happens -alot-.

I am now a fleet admiral commanding 16 Bikes, 12 Minibikes, 17 Gyrocopters, 2 Motorcycles and 7 4x4's

I only crafted one of each.

Seems like the game keeps an array of each vehicle and what it was carrying when the vehiclemanager saved.

(Which is double annoying since the game's backup on players are awful)

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

I have a slightly different issue. After exiting and restarting my savegame, I lost all vehicles.

Near the end of the log of the first game it says:

"

VehicleManager saving 3 (1 / 2)
2020-11-25T19:55:47 2812.859 INF Time: 46.70m FPS: 58.80 Heap: 1542.6MB Max: 1652.6MB Chunks: 254 CGO: 176 Ply: 1 Zom: 2 Ent: 8 (59) Items: 4 CO: 1 RSS: 4928.5MB
2020-11-25T19:56:17 2842.865 INF Time: 47.20m FPS: 59.64 Heap: 1558.0MB Max: 1652.6MB Chunks: 254 CGO: 176 Ply: 1 Zom: 2 Ent: 8 (59) Items: 4 CO: 1 RSS: 4925.3MB
2020-11-25T19:56:19 2845.041 INF Saving 96 of chunks took 60ms
2020-11-25T19:56:20 2846.145 INF Disconnect
2020-11-25T19:56:20 2846.149 INF [NET] ServerShutdown
2020-11-25T19:56:20 2846.149 INF NET: Stopping server protocols
2020-11-25T19:56:20 2846.154 INF NET: LiteNetLib server stopped
2020-11-25T19:56:20 2846.154 INF Exited thread SteamNetworkingServer
2020-11-25T19:56:20 2846.155 INF [Steamworks.NET] NET: Server stopped
2020-11-25T19:56:20 2846.156 INF SaveAndCleanupWorld
2020-11-25T19:56:20 2846.222 INF Saving 52 of chunks took 39ms
2020-11-25T19:56:20 2846.228 INF [Steamworks.NET] Stopping server
2020-11-25T19:56:20 2846.246 INF [Steamworks.NET] Exiting Lobby
2020-11-25T19:56:20 2846.389 INF AstarManager Cleanup
2020-11-25T19:56:20 2846.392 INF World.Unload
2020-11-25T19:56:20 2846.404 INF Exited thread GenerateChunks
2020-11-25T19:56:20 2846.422 INF Exited thread SaveChunks C:\Users\Skipper\AppData\Roaming/7DaysToDie/Saves/Navezgane/navez\Region
2020-11-25T19:56:21 2846.684 INF World.Cleanup
2020-11-25T19:56:21 2846.687 INF Exited thread ChunkRegeneration
2020-11-25T19:56:21 2846.693 INF Exited thread ChunkCalc
2020-11-25T19:56:21 2846.696 INF VehicleManager saving 3 (0 / 3)
2020-11-25T19:56:21 2846.723 INF Persistent GamePrefs saved

"

Further up in the log the line

"2020-11-25T19:31:46 1372.090 INF VehicleManager saving 3 (1 / 2)" appears on a regular base (like every 2-3 minutes)

At the beginning of the log of the session that atrted without vehicle is reads:

"020-11-25T21:11:16 56.021 ERR Failed loading players.xml: Root element is missing.
2020-11-25T21:11:16 56.161 INF DynamicResolutionAllocRT scale 1, Tex 1920x1200
2020-11-25T21:11:16 56.161 INF DynamicResolutionAllocRT scale 0.75, Tex 1440x900
2020-11-25T21:11:16 56.161 INF DynamicResolutionAllocRT scale 0.62, Tex 1190x744
2020-11-25T21:11:16 56.161 INF DynamicResolutionAllocRT scale 0.5, Tex 960x600
2020-11-25T21:11:16 56.208 INF Created player with id=171
2020-11-25T21:11:16 56.297 INF Loaded player
2020-11-25T21:11:16 56.510 ERR Vehicle file bad signature
2020-11-25T21:11:16 56.510 INF VehicleManager C:\Users\Skipper\AppData\Roaming/7DaysToDie/Saves/Navezgane/navez/vehicles.dat, loaded 0
2020-11-25T21:11:16 56.578 INF Setting for 'DayNightLength' does not match the default (server will go to the modded category): current = 120, default = 60
2020-11-25T21:11:16 56.578 INF Setting for 'DropOnDeath' does not match the default (server will go to the modded category): current = 2, default = 1
2020-11-25T21:11:16 56.578 INF Setting for 'BloodMoonEnemyCount' does not match the default (server will go to the modded category): current = 64, default = 8
2020-11-25T21:11:16 56.578 INF Setting for 'LootRespawnDays' does not match the default (server will go to the modded category): current = 5, default = 30
2020-11-25T21:11:16 56.578 INF Setting for 'AirDropFrequency' does not match the default (server will go to the modded category): current = 24, default = 72
Calling Animator.GotoState on Synchronize layer"

Any idea why this happened?

18 hours ago, Zombie-Dead said:

Hi there,

I have a slightly different issue. After exiting and restarting my savegame, I lost all vehicles.

Near the end of the log of the first game it says:

You should open a new thread if you have a different issue. Also put complete logfiles into pastebin or similar and post a link.

• 2 months later...

I'm seeing the same issues -- disappearing inventories that reappear later and duplicated vehicles -- on 19.4 (b3) via the experimental branch. I'm playing on the Not-A-Gamer Gaming long term server.

Sometimes I can just wander a ways away and come back and get a different inventory, such as the current one or one that was current a day ago. Sometimes I come back to an empty inventory, or maybe a super-quick glimpse of items in the inventory and then it looks empty.

I had one misadventure when I died and when I arrived at my bedroll (at my base) the vehicle I had driven there was back at base with me. So I drove it back to collect my backpack and the vehicle I had parked there was gone. So, I figured there was some bug that transported my vehicle back with me. Alas, a few real life days later and I noticed a copy of the vehicle where I died was sitting there.

Another observation. Start with a vehicle showing its inventory. Remove the inventory. Now take the empty vehicle into your inventory. I get both a vehicle in my inventory and the vehicle itself still sitting where it was parked and it is holding a copy of the starting inventory. Everything duplicated.

The most annoying, frustrating thing is when you load up a vehicle's inventory to go work on a project and then that inventory disappears for days.

10 hours ago, zztong said:

I'm seeing the same issues -- disappearing inventories that reappear later and duplicated vehicles -- on 19.4 (b3) via the experimental branch. I'm playing on the Not-A-Gamer Gaming long term server.

Sometimes I can just wander a ways away and come back and get a different inventory, such as the current one or one that was current a day ago. Sometimes I come back to an empty inventory, or maybe a super-quick glimpse of items in the inventory and then it looks empty.

I had one misadventure when I died and when I arrived at my bedroll (at my base) the vehicle I had driven there was back at base with me. So I drove it back to collect my backpack and the vehicle I had parked there was gone. So, I figured there was some bug that transported my vehicle back with me. Alas, a few real life days later and I noticed a copy of the vehicle where I died was sitting there.

Another observation. Start with a vehicle showing its inventory. Remove the inventory. Now take the empty vehicle into your inventory. I get both a vehicle in my inventory and the vehicle itself still sitting where it was parked and it is holding a copy of the starting inventory. Everything duplicated.

The most annoying, frustrating thing is when you load up a vehicle's inventory to go work on a project and then that inventory disappears for days.

Most likely causes: Bad infernet connection and/or bad FPS at your side or the servers side.

Vehicles that reappear at the place where one started driving is a common phenomenon. We get that too from time to time, often when one of the players gets disconnected from the server.

• 1 month later...
On 2/13/2021 at 6:07 AM, meganoth said:

Most likely causes: Bad infernet connection and/or bad FPS at your side or the servers side.

Vehicles that reappear at the place where one started driving is a common phenomenon. We get that too from time to time, often when one of the players gets disconnected from the server.

The game is forgetting where multiple vehicles are, deleting them completely from the game, forgetting locks/passcodes and delting storages from the game as well.
Since A19.4, server has also been randomly disconnecting players who are then able to rejoin immediately. I as an admin via LAN connection to my server was once disconnected. I just bought all-new hardware for an unrelated problem and highly doubt its the new hardware. I think this bug might be a little more obnoxious than you think, especially in PVE situations with multiple vehicles.

At least in me and my gamers experiences. There are also quite a few random bug reports and threads on this topic now over the past 2 months.

I had to disable EAC and Sparks to get 2 players with meh connections playing. (220 ping, 50mb down) connecting to server with 100mb down/6mbup. Pings via CMD and speedtests showed stable connections with no packet loss.
"Server timeout." Yet no timeout is actually taking place on hardware end.

Edited by Pichii (see edit history)

12 minutes ago, Pichii said:

The game is forgetting where multiple vehicles are, deleting them completely from the game, forgetting locks/passcodes and delting storages from the game as well.
Since A19.4, server has also been randomly disconnecting players who are then able to rejoin immediately. I as an admin via LAN connection to my server was once disconnected. I just bought all-new hardware for an unrelated problem and highly doubt its the new hardware. I think this bug might be a little more obnoxious than you think, especially in PVE situations with multiple vehicles.

At least in me and my gamers experiences. There are also quite a few random bug reports and threads on this topic now over the past 2 months.

I had to disable EAC and Sparks to get 2 players with meh connections playing. (220 ping, 50mb down) connecting to server with 100mb down/6mbup. Pings via CMD and speedtests showed stable connections with no packet loss.
"Server timeout." Yet no timeout is actually taking place on hardware end.

Possibly.

In our 4 player co op game it is always the same one player that gets disconnected frequently. One difference is his provider which looks like it could be the reason. Any other hypothesis?

We also have locks being forgotten, again he has it all the time but it seems we do too sometimes. Which is something that points more in the direction of a universal bug instead of one induced by FPS or very bad connection or latency

1 minute ago, meganoth said:

Possibly.

In our 4 player co op game it is always the same one player that gets disconnected frequently. One difference is his provider which looks like it could be the reason. Any other hypothesis?

We also have locks being forgotten, again he has it all the time but it seems we do too sometimes. Which is something that points more in the direction of a universal bug instead of one induced by FPS or very bad connection or latency

Its happened to 3 players across 3 countries for us.
Ima go ahead and humor your hypothesis tho and ive setup my QoS for 7d2d on my PC and ill do some more testing over the next couple days and see if its a networking sensitivity problem or not. I really dont think thats the problem but just to help rule it out.
Will update this post in idk, 24, 48hours once my gamers have a chance to help test.

In the logs and speedtests ive done when the DC happened/as close as humanly possible, the networks have shown 0% packet loss, even on the 'poorer' network connections.
However, in 7d2d it says "High packet loss, disconnecting client"
Due to this reading, ive sat and watched multiple tests carried out over 15m span on the afflicted persons network only to see no more than 1% packet loss or less over the duration.
It could be that the networking on 7d2d is just being way, way too touchy on what it considers "Excessive packet loss" and is terminating its connection. Could even be issue with the steam API- I know a recent steam patch was to quote "Fix p2p networking issues in steam api" so... This could be a double problem thats compounding a minor issue in 7d2d.

PS: Ive gained stability for the poor connection players by disabling EAC and Sparks via 7d2d game launcher on the 'poor connection' PCs which has at least made the game playable for them folks.

If it is a problem with the steam API, if we do as the devs say to and disable steam networking in the server configs, it should bypass using the steam api- but your buddies will be forced to join the game via server list. Might be worth a try.

4 hours ago, Pichii said:

Its happened to 3 players across 3 countries for us.

That doesn't say much. It could be a setting some providers use for their routing or traffic control, it could be the internet router brand given out to customers of the provider. In both cases it could happen in any country.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2021 at 5:37 PM, meganoth said:

That doesn't say much. It could be a setting some providers use for their routing or traffic control, it could be the internet router brand given out to customers of the provider. In both cases it could happen in any country.

Its still happening. DCs because the server feels there 'is too much packet loss.'
I had 7d2d QoS via port at highest prio. Still happened to people at the same timeframes.
Resulting packet loss tests confirmed server was experiencing 0% packet loss over 15m interval.
This bug has only happened since the most recent stable release. (At least for us)

This issue also happens with a buddy who lives one timezone over from me, based in the USA and we ping off eachother at about 40ms. He has a stable PC with good, reliable internet and he still experiences the same issues. I even DC from my own server occasionally due to 'packet loss' yet, again, packet loss detector says 0% loss.

Edited by Pichii (see edit history)

Strangely our "problem magnet" player had that problem for previous alphas even. It might mean his and your problem are not from the same cause, or the bug has multiple or complicated conditions to activate.

I would say you should make a bug report, but I can't give you much hope this bug will be found soon, it seems difficult to replicate. But someone has to start the bug hunt. The more people report the bug the easier it is to find a link between them

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

For what it is worth, we had that issue occuring for several alphas, too.

But vehicles replicating started in A19 only, as far as I can tell ;)

It was always some player that had a notibly bad connection on that particular evening, resulting in disconnects at times.

Vehicles disappearing has not always been happening on disconnect, though: it did on occasion, and sometimes it did not, sometimes it happened out of the blue.

Also, steamnetworking enabled or disabled made no difference.

Never had there been any server or client log entries to the likes off "High packet loss, disconnecting client" which makes a bug report close to pointless.

I will test with yet another server with hopefully better carrier peering shortly to gain more insight.

2 hours ago, uncle.heavy said:

For what it is worth, we had that issue occuring for several alphas, too.

But vehicles replicating started in A19 only, as far as I can tell ;)

It was always some player that had a notibly bad connection on that particular evening, resulting in disconnects at times.

Vehicles disappearing has not always been happening on disconnect, though: it did on occasion, and sometimes it did not, sometimes it happened out of the blue.

Also, steamnetworking enabled or disabled made no difference.

Never had there been any server or client log entries to the likes off "High packet loss, disconnecting client" which makes a bug report close to pointless.

I will test with yet another server with hopefully better carrier peering shortly to gain more insight.

I know there are no easy leads, but like Sherlock Holmes said:

Holmes: “To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time.”

Gregory: “The dog did nothing in the night-time.”

Holmes: “That was the curious incident.”

• 5 months later...

I play solo-local in a random world (alpha 19.6(b8)), and my 4x4's inventory keeps changing on me. At first I thought I was losing stuff, or that this or that item was destroyed in X or Y stability related collapse, but no, the 4x4 is physically changing its inventory. Gotta say, getting gaslit by a jeep is kind of annoying. 

I have noticed that logging in and out triggers the inventory to change. Its like there is something wrong in the code that handles the repop of chunks/refresh of chunks, loading save data or all of the above. I have had weird issues on my highway I am carving westward from my easterly desert base, where the vehicle will be parked where land once was, and I will walk away to work on digging through a house or whatever, and then when I come back, the terrain will come back for long enough to throw the vehicle like a toy and nuke a quarter of its health. 

I think the game is keeping some kind of manifest of items/objects (talking entities and etc, not the inventories themselves) based on LOD related load-ins and somehow things get crossed. I suspect that the different inventories I am seeing are each related to different instances of my 4x4 that some part of the code sees as two different vehicles, even though they are the exact same elsewhere.

Honestly, im surprised this game runs this well as a unity title as is, and when i collapsed several chunks to bedrock, the game didn't crash. It did tank frames when I collapsed an apartment building, but I think that was more the screamers spawning in. I bring up the apartment collapse, as it seems that if you move far enough away while the building is collapsing, bits of the building will seem to glitch out into a floating state. I think the physics loop is suspended for blocks when you move far enough away, and doesn't re-evaluate newly loaded bits. instead it seems to default to the premade mesh/world state for large distances >32m and then loads in modified terrain when within that distance... the issue is probably related to that change over, and how vehicles persist in some form outside of that 32m distance. 

so yeah, pretty sure all of that and yall's issues are related to what is happening with vehicles, and that it is all related to how chunks update. As reloading the game refreshes chunks, moving far enough away from a space refreshes the chunks, loading in from being kicked refreshes them and etc.

If you want help please post this as a new thread instead of highjacking a practically mummified thread with a totally different issue. Also please read the sticky thread that tells you how to post a logfile

I have not seen the reshuffle of the inventory and the throwing of the vehicle in my games and no other players have reported this

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

IF I GET  disconnected while occupying my vehical  when i rejoin game the vehical is GONE.. i might find it i might not find it..  but it is NOT where yo8u disconnected.. it's probably at the last vheical manager save location.   and this is happening to me on local dedicated server (the same computer i'm playing the game on.. with 127.0.0.1 loopback to connect.. so it is not the isp.. it is not the router its the frigging game... if you disconnect while riding a vehical you will have a misplaced vehical.. you may find it.. (not where you dropped) or you many not find it.. and only god know where it is.. one time my gyro was on a roof.. and onlyt another player with another gyro saw it..   it is frustrating.. PIMPS ON DISCONNECT either load the vehcal in the inventory.. or return it to bedroll.. or locate it where the person dropped.  their spawn point on drop.  one of the biggest SUCK things about this game.. surely you can fix it right?

relating to @thornnnn's point, can anybody explain why the "compass marker" of your vehicle gets lost when the vehicle itself stays within the world, somewhere at a "legit" location (in terms of "not out of bounds/fallen through the world as it sometimes happened in former alphas)?

And maybe this could be "reestablished" after logging back in, so you would at least know where your vehicle "respawned" even if it is in a strange place?

Edited by meilodasreh (see edit history)

Please open a new post on this issue if it's needed, this topic was originally made way back in A19. Going to lock it to prevent mixed data/discussion since we're on A21 now. And @meilodasrehthat is an issue we're looking at, I believe the compass marker and vehicle spawning are two different functions, which aren't cooperating with each other in a rather general speaking term.